• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hidden; OOC {Closed}

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Scion Scion I've set this up so my next post could end the spar if Charlotte charges (which i figured she would if nails are in jeopardy). That is if you are okay with that, I can always have my plan fail. I don't want to be a jerk and just win without consulting you, since there is no rule set to determine who would come out on top. If you want to play the spar out more that is fine.

Hubub101 Hubub101
That’s always the bit of a stickler with freeform. Well since we are seeming to discuss this matter, let me throw my cents at the matter. Allow me this volley to express why no, Axus should not win and reasons for it.

First of all let me just note a technical aspect, one you usually see in MMA.

Body shots, despite a lot of misconceptions to those who aren’t really in the know, do a lot of damage. This is why many MMA fighters target limbs, to wear that limb out to the point of no use. You usually see this with strikes to the leg as when rounds wear on, the “gas tank” of a fighter depletes and they lack the strength to keep going. Usually this is less of a single rock to TKO, and more a concentrated battery to wear out a limb to the point of use, but considering my vampire is, you know, a supernaturally strong entity getting that strike down at the leg should just crumble Axus to the ground, especially considering there are no gadgets of protection. (Plus I haven’t seen things relating to these ones sans the coat) So logically receiving that strike should be god awful on them, and take much more focus.

Then while Charlotte might’ve claimed that she would offer a break, she is a bitch and who is to say she wouldn’t just immediately ground and pound a nerd while they were down denying them said attempt at the plan? Because it clearly would take time to inscribe a great circle and get it going but not so much for a fast and strong vampiress to whomp ‘em.

Not to mention just how such pain rocks “Fight IQ”, there are many examples out there of fighters getting rocked after that first blow. I’d imagine Axus is not particularly good at impromptu recoveries based on how you mentioned “weak improvisation skills” as something he’d work on, which would seem to me lead to a weaker fight IQ compared to, say, Charlotte who has essentially fought ever since exposure to this world.

Hell if I really wanted to be a dick I would’ve just struck during the somersault and transition into ground and pound. Maybe throw in a lot more attacks than just the one. But I chose against these for a more narratively appropriate move, which I’ll cover momentarily.

Now then, since I’ve covered more technical bits, allow me to delve into narrative bits.

Let me explain this in terms of “booking”, your character is more of a “babyface” aka good guy, while Charlotte is a “heel” aka a bad guy. Most stories, involve the face in a chase of sorts and being foiled by the bad guy until near the end of the feud. Your character being a witch leans well into the underdog story and the underdog does not get the win immediately over the bad guy as they oft get foiled by nefarious means. Like take for example the groin shot, that’s a standard arsenal for the villain, which allows them to win in a dirty way so the hero doesn’t lose too much heat and build heat for the villain. Heat is essentially a stock of a character. Losses are more helpful to the hero, as it builds sympathy and makes it more impactful and sweeter when they finally do get a win over that dreadful villain. Conversely such losses to a heel is not as helpful as they are not designed for sympathy, and it kills credibility. I have already given some heat to our other witch-friend (Knight), by being foiled by the barricade until someone else helped. Now what does this mean for Charlotte? Well like in wrestling it means she needs to get heat back to keep a nice heel status of prominence, which losing here would not contribute to.

Rather losing here would be best for Axus as it gives him face sympathy, and if he went down to the crotch shot from earlier - and not a leg-shot - it’d give him a fair excuse to deny him from seeming ineffective as “hey you only won due to that cheap shot” which regardless if it is true or not does allow him to continue a program with Charlotte and keep heat.

In summary; Axus should go down due to technicalities from the situation, alongside narrative benefits that help multiple parties instead of just one.

so no instant teleportation circle + illusionary blade to the spine. gotchya. Just drop-kick him or something. (I'm a magic nerd, not a fight nerd)

EDIT: I see where you are coming from with the narrative piece, I just didn't see this as that kind of story. I see characters with or without motivations. I didn't see good guys or bad guys. If that is the direction we go with this, I'll play along, It just may be difficult for me at times.

Scion Scion

Last edited:
Hubub101 Hubub101
You'd be surprised how well wrestling booking translates to other stories, take for example Darth Vader since you seem to be a Star Wars fan. He was pretty much the typical monster heel you'd see in wrestling; big, scary, and incredibly powerful. Whenever he showed up it meant good people were about to die. Now if Luke defeated Vader in their first duel, think about how drastically the story would have changed. To regain his role of the monster heel, Vader would have to do something even bigger like, I don't know, wipe out all the rebel soldiers on five blockade runners or something else dumb like that, however the viewer will likely see that as a cheap attempt to build Vader back up as a physical threat.

But as I'm sure you know, Luke instead rushed into the first fight with Vader, lost, and came back later and was able to surprise Vader by how much he improved since their last fight. Now I underlined that part because of how important it is because if Darth Vader knew how much Luke had improved, the fight might have been a repeat of Cloud City, however the (most likely still) stronger fighter lost because of overconfidence and didn't realize the position he was in until it was too late. Now if Charlotte lost to Axus due to overconfidence in her first fight in this story, it would have the opposite effect as we haven't seen any reason for her to be that cocky and would make any wins against her later in the story mean a lot less.

Now this part is admittedly a little selfish, so feel free to not take it too seriously, but since we've been building up a rivalry between Madeleine and Charlotte an early loss here would damage it a lot. For example if Charlotte loses to Axus but wins against Madeleine it brings Madeleine down but hurts the narrative by having a powerful physical threat lose to what should be a lesser physical threat (witches are still basically human after all), yet has the powerful physical threat triumph over the person that would go out of their way to prevent it from being a head-to-head, blow-for-blow fight. Yet if Axus and Madeleine both beat Charlotte, Charlotte comes out looking weak and derails her as a character as her confidence would be destroyed. Then on the other hand, if Charlotte beats Axus and Madeleine, she's built up as an even bigger threat because brute force and trickery failed to beat her and the rivalry can continue as Madeleine goes for the salty runback. Now if Axus loses and Madeleine wins, Charlotte's (most likely) shocked reaction has more oomph to it since she proved herself as a fighter but lost without a proper fight (let's face it, if Maddy wins it's because the fight never truly started) and she has the defense of "well she just cheated" and then Charlotte can continue the rivalry in a convincing manner because she believes she was robbed and Madeleine's smugness is making her face even more punchable.

Hubub101 Hubub101
As you can tell, fight fan through and through on my end, both choreographed and real. Narrative is important to both although of course more so on the choreographed end. But even in MMA, the real good fighters know how to get narrative in as stories sell. (Although usually not in the fights proper, except for blatant cheating like eye gouging.)

I’ll try to refrain from getting too wordy on narrative structuring, (especially since it looks like KnightOfNight KnightOfNight did a bang up job in noting that sort of deal) apart from just my personal opinion and note how “shades of grey” isn’t the best booking per se. Audiences want people they can get behind in loving and hating. This is why say Stone Cold vs Undertaker wasn’t well received, people didn’t have a clear hero to get behind as compared to the famous Mr. McMahon vs Stone Cold which was received well because they did.
Motivations are good to have yes; but motivations are way better when they are used/twisted to help establish the dynamic of good and evil and how a character stands in that.

I’m sure you’ll get the idea and the hang of those sorts dynamics, so don’t worry too much on it. Though I’ll admit I’m surprised you just see motivations or lack thereof. This is because, you know, I think we can see that the vampire girl is a baddie and not a goodie. (And like in choreographed fight booking any real change of heart on her part, from villainess to heroine, would take time to set up and pay off. But that is a different kettle of fish.)

Any-who I’mma get around to posting.

Okay I am writing posts for some of the groups which have been moving faster liiiiike Sen's, Bliez's, and Aleva. Will wait a lil bit on Alice's before doing that one annnnd I am going to be monitoring Poppy's group and seeing if I need to move you active members into the more active groups in case some people need to be moved into the NPC group :)

So I know I'm a little late, but weren't Hubub101 Hubub101 's rings meant to generate shadow illusion swords that didn't actually cut things? So how can he engrave with them, exactly?

Hey, just checking in to say I'm still around and Hope doesn't need to be NPC'd. Got a post planned but I can't post until tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not sure how to take that. Did ya accidentally lose a post?
Idk. But I know it didn't happen because I couldn't post yesterday xD I got sick and took same day quil and well 0.0... passed the frickle frack out haha.

Oh oh!

Anyone see that premiere of the rebooted charmed?

littleberry littleberry
Just thought I'd let you know, I changed one of Artemis's weaknesses to her knowledge about the hidden world (which is very little to nothing at all) instead of insomnia.

littleberry littleberry I think I'm gonna take a break from this. I might come back, but right now I'm just having a hard time writing for this. If it's alright with you I'll just kind of go away and hop back in when I feel that I can. I just want to leave, but I don't want to give up on this.

littleberry littleberry I think I'm gonna take a break from this. I might come back, but right now I'm just having a hard time writing for this. If it's alright with you I'll just kind of go away and hop back in when I feel that I can. I just want to leave, but I don't want to give up on this.
I understand :) I'll put your characters in NPC groups and you can jump back in when you're ready

Users who are viewing this thread

Back