• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Heroes Amongst Us

The sun had long set on the concrete Empire of Manhattan, a shade of dark now ushered in by the natural eeriness of the night sky, territory belonging to the self-proclaimed Cult of the Eclipse. "Talk to me, Benji. I'm at the Museum." An electronic voice uttered, transmitted to a small rundown hut within the mountains of Canada. "It appears the Eclipse have either gotten very bold to the point of stupidity, or this is a very elaborate and complex trap. They've infiltrated the building, yes... But... it's like they don't want the ever-elusive 'Prometheus Protocol.' Maybe you should rethink this one." An audible sigh, followed by a waylaid hand, briskly wiping a low bead of sweat. With tight eyes, the shrouded figure gazed up at the enigmatic Museum, it's shining lights engulfing the plaza in a cascade of heavily secured over-watch.

"Is it possible the Authorities haven't figured this one out?" A brief radio silence, followed by an unsure guarantee. "There's always a possibility, in fact recent events lead me to believe such is the case more often than not. But even if they did, let's just say your standing with the big-wigs is that of a cog serving a machine. Literally. I wouldn't worry about it, until enforcers show up and your coms get flooded by bugs, we're in the clear."

Mind eased by the somewhat vague words of assurance, the shrouded figure aimed a determined glare at the upper section of the museum, an inert essence built up like a phoenix ready to combust, pink hues of electrical mist danced on the edge of metallic-fingers, stretched out, overreaching, grasping into the very essence of space. Fighting the fierce throbbing and build up of vile, the theatricals of power continued until the miasma bled into the very fabric of reality, tearing open a wormhole-like portal, blue-tinged and pulsing with a futuristic throng, the essence of drummed power setting her skin alight with a strange sensation. "I'm going in, Benji. Wish me luck."

With that, a step into the inter dimensional netherspace proved to do absolutely nothing, as the figure emerged from the portal within the Museum Vault, merely as if opening a door. An unfortunate side-effect of said journey was the faint smell of sizzled burning, the mic used for communications fried. Again. Nobody said portal-hopping would be easy, after all.

"Whoah." The metallic voice proclaimed, an overwhelming feeling of nausea battering down the coherency of the mind. Through bleary eyes and a turbulent stomach, the silhouettes of alarmed figures eased into uncertain view. Crap, the Eclipse. This was not where she wanted to be. "Ugh, my head." Wobbling slightly, she tried to straighten. "Just... give me a moment... Need... to breath..."

"Super! Shoot it, shoot it now!" As expected, a flurry of gunfire unloaded at the figure, a roaring of bullets all grinding to an unearthly end, with tact efficiency a blue rip tore through perception, replacing the silhouettes with a glaring portal, eyes cast to the side, the figure through out both hands, another tear causing a second, much smaller portal to appear, the former barrage of gunfire in-toe, ripping into the attacking assailants with brutal precision. The super collapsed, leaning back against the wall, extremely overworked and fighting a raging headache. Surrounded by the bodies of Eclipse members. What else was to be said? Just wasn't the morally high-horse type of super.

As a blackened layer of sky spread wide over the city Ryan had called home for most of his life, his thoughts were taken in by a swirl of plans mixed with good old fashioned notions of "Just go with it" that had so very often popped up when he had no conceivable idea of what his next move was. Right now his hours of hard thinking had come up with the plan he used the 17 times before this mission. Just go through the front door. It wasn't the most sophisticated of plans but, hey, if it ain't broke. Besides, he had gotten good at his favorite party trick, catching bullets in mid air with a simple hand gesture always freaked out whomsoever fired them and made him feel....powerful, which, of course, he was.

As he arrived at the site, as quiet as a bull in a china shop, he briefly looked at the old decaying building before him. A museum of some description that was so clearly under guarded he had to wonder if the authorities had collectively decided that tonight was doughnut night and that nothing gets in the way of doughnut night. As Ryan mulled it over, he had to admit there was a sad possibility he was right, no matter, he could do it himself. Although a doughnut was tempting.....

He was knocked out of his important thought by a piercing blast of light, scorching his retinas and dazing him for a few agonizing seconds. He could only utter one pained word. "Fuck." Why did this always happen? Where was he going wrong? There was only one thing for it, he would have to go through the front door, after he dealt with that incessant light, of course. He looked once more to the burning light and closed his eyes, his mind focusing on the infernal creation of ore and the layers of metal that made up the device. He could see it, it's entire being as if connected on an inner level others couldn't even imagine. He painted a picture of it in his mind, every layer, every mistake the manufacturer didn't notice and with his hand outstretched, imagined the object crumpling like a thin piece of paper. He clenched his fist and that dream became a reality. A loud screech emanated from the search light as it crushed itself and was thrown to the floor. It was only at that moment he realized there were no guard currently shooting at him and no one was manning that light. He had just destroyed city property for no reason at all. Only one pained word came to mind. This time with more emphases. "Fuuuck!"

Where was the Eclipse? They were clearly here, but if this is what their latest examples of security have come to then the city no longer needed to fear them at all. With the repeating thought of "trap" going through his mind he did as the plan demanded and entered through the front door where there was yet again, no people. With a somewhat awkwardly slow walk he reached for a visitors map of the museum as if he had come with a group of kids here to see...well...old...things. Right there was the museum vault on one of the upper levels, if there were to be any Eclipse it would be there and so he continued his slow walk and made his way to the vault, coming across another unguarded metal door that had been recently opened and closed by the way the locking mechanism felt.

He could tear down the entire thing in some dramatic entry but he had destroyed enough innocent pieces of metal today and so simply unlocked the mechanism once more with a few simple movements. The door swung open and there to greet him were dead Eclipse soldiers and a somewhat exhausted Super. It took him a very brief moment to take in the sight before him, until he realized he should probably show this other person that he was not with the Eclipse before he ended up the same way.

"I am sorry to have intruded, I see my services were not required judging by the current mass of dead people." He said, in a high pitched tone, not using any form of voice distorter. He lifted both of his hands to show he was not armed, not that he needed weapons, he was the weapon. "I mean you no harm, I am probably here for the same reason you are, i'm a super, not with the Eclipse." He cautiously extended a metal clad hand as a sign of trust "Need a hand? Please don't kill me. Unless we get a move on I suspect the Eclipse will be here to do it for you."

Pushing back against the enclosing aura of darkness, eyes accosted by hazy vision, the high-pitched thrum vibrating within the ears. Yet even this crippling state of delirium did little to quell the awareness of a paranoid mind and onslaught of adrenaline flowing through her veins. So when the looming vault door drifted open - as if the giant metallic wall on hinges wasn't a top-of-the-line bunker-attachment designed to defend against nuclear blasts - the tired Superheroine was immediately on high alert, fingers flexing as the hairs on her neck stood at attention.

Brazenly, a man walked through the opening with an extreme aura of arrogance, frantic brain kicking into overdrive the cornered animal attempted a dash to her feet with alarming speed. What actually followed was a pitiful stumble forward followed by a pained yelp, she attempted to force out her hand, envisioning a circular portal engulfing the space between them. Having a shield of space-time was one way of ensuring safety, unfortunately all that followed was a tiny splutter of power, a hand-sized portal more akin to a parlour trick than a superpower.

With no way out, the portal jumper glared up at the hand. She didn't believe he was with the eclipse, by all means the heroing business was abuzz with friendly rivalries, to full on team ups, that one should show up here and be a potential ally was as likely as that fancy gold-hued briefcase, blotted with the red hue of death, being stolen from under her nose. Just in reach, but so so far. But her personal safety was hardly in danger, call it etiquette among the powered population.

Paradoxically, she grasped the offer of aid with extreme reluctance, but also desperation, rising to her feet with unsteady constitution and a high desire to collapse back to her former position immediately. She couldn't kill him if she tried in this state. "We need the briefcase... I did the heavy lifting, so it's 75/25 split, non negotiable." Her attempt to come off as harsh and intimidating despite the predicament could only be described as admirable, but they both knew if he was inclined enough to take it she couldn't feasibly stop him. Some people just had a knack for overplaying their hand, she was undoubtedly their leader. "I... can't get us out of here, we'll need to come out the way you came in, and that means Eclipse." She theorized uneasily, hands still clutching her slowly-reclining headache. "What can you do?" She wasn't interested in small-talk and getting to know the guy, but knowing his powerset would be useful in-case things got violent. With him, or the eclipse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back