News The Helpers of The Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reason is that the purpose of this is to answer questions on the current helper system that we are putting in place, not the previous one. It's understandable to ask "How is this system different from the previous one?", or contact the admins with concerns through Admin Contact. But to say "The last system failed and this will too" is being needlessly negative. Captain Hesperus has addressed what the differences are (better communication, and experience to improve the system), and so to continue to be the voice of doom is getting off topic ^_^

Okay, let's be clear about something. I first asked how this system would be different than the previous one. Any legitimate response to my question was ignored by the staff beyond a vague answer and I was immediately labeled as doom-and-gloom instead of addressing a question I politely asked.

"Better communication"

"Experience to improve the system"

Both incredibly vague answers that myself and others do not find as satisfactory.

How is the communication going to be better? Yes we have a website Discord, but we also had PMs in the past to. What does the Discord make easier than the PMs couldn't?

Yes we have experience because we tried it before with the Fellowship and Helpers, but how are we actually going to be applying that experience? Why does the Staff think the last one failed? What would they have changed in that system? Show and tell us how that's going to make the system amazing this time because now we've had the benefit of the failure.

Failure isn't a bad thing. We can all learn from failures. What worries is me when we try and hide and cover up those failures, ignoring them altogether. To me, that says that we aren't learning acknowledging nor learning from those failures or being honest and transparent with our community, none of which are good things.

Okay, let's be clear about something. I first asked how this system would be different than the previous one. Any legitimate response to my question was ignored by the staff beyond a vague answer and I was immediately labeled as doom-and-gloom instead of addressing a question I politely asked.

"Better communication"

"Experience to improve the system"

Both incredibly vague answers that myself and others do not find as satisfactory.

How is the communication going to be better? Yes we have a website Discord, but we also had PMs in the past to. What does the Discord make easier than the PMs couldn't?

Yes we have experience because we tried it before with the Fellowship and Helpers, but how are we actually going to be applying that experience? Why does the Staff think the last one failed? What would they have changed in that system? Show and tell us how that's going to make the system amazing this time because now we've had the benefit of the failure.

Failure isn't a bad thing. We can all learn from failures. What worries is me when we try and hide and cover up those failures, ignoring them altogether. To me, that says that we aren't learning acknowledging nor learning from those failures or being honest and transparent with our community, none of which are good things.

Here is the original announcement of the helper system shutting down: https://www.rpnation.com/threads/thanks-for-all-the-help.216615/

Where ever you are getting your facts about powerplays and the failures of the system, well that is all incorrect.

Anyone who was a helper can tell you that we dismissed the Helper System because we we promoted a good portion of them to staff and didn't feel at the time that we wanted to continue when everyone who was already passionate on the helper team had continued to do so on the staff, hence my announcement here stating that helper functions were passed onto the staff. Since then we've had a change in staff, some have left because of school or moving on to new and exciting projects or getting jobs or a family of their own.

I also want to politely point out that you joined right about when the Helpers were dissolved and you were never a helper, weren't around long enough to see them in action and how awesome they were and most certainly you were not around to know about The Fellowship of RpNation, the alpha version of the helpers. So again, please quit spreading misinformation, causing panic and a negative environment.

The only reason why Helpers didn't come sooner is because we were still working on slowly filling the ranks of our mod team who till this day still complete most of the Helper's functions but the site has gotten to the point where we can't keep up and also take care of the site, hence why we didn't have a newsletter these past few months. We have Questions that were crafted for the Helper Apps and we now have an internal method of approving new helpers, something we also didn't have before to this extent.

I read the notice as "If you have any questions, click here" and then I didn't actually click it. I misread it. My mistake.

Its fine!

I'm trying to figure out how to make the application more obvious. Unfortunately as you can see the application questions are in S&QI but you can't put them in Helpers because you can't see the thread because you can't see other user's threads in that forum. Functions exactly like Admin Contact.

Okay, now that I'm home - I'm honestly looking forward to seeing the Helpers be a thing again! I think it was a really good way of recognizing community members who are very consistent in contributing to the community, and I was pretty sad when the groups kinda petered out. I'm especially looking forward to the Newsletter!

Okay, now that I'm home - I'm honestly looking forward to seeing the Helpers be a thing again! I think it was a really good way of recognizing community members who are very consistent in contributing to the community, and I was pretty sad when the groups kinda petered out. I'm especially looking forward to the Newsletter!

Thanks, glad you are excited :)!

I wasn't as involved with this site when the first initiative was around. I think I might get involved with this one. Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks, glad you are excited :)!
I am! I've had a lot of fun in the past helping scope out content for the Newsletter - and you remember the Halloween contest I ran, yeah? I've still got the jQuery for that submissions page somewhere. Just hit me up if you need it recycled.

Does... past drama/warnings affect the results of the Helper application? I feel like I've left a bad rep among the staff because of a past occurance and my mindset has most definitely been changed and I'm highly interested in this.

if someone is not on too often or is on in weird time frames but is still willing to help would that be okay?

I remember the fellows, they were so cool :o i also remember the shoutbox which was really cool cause i met most of my friends there (but its pretty much just the discord chat now!)

I'm asking for a friend whose a bit too shy to ask about something like this. And I saw that someone asked something similar earlier as well. Does having a bad reputation on here affect the applications? As in, certain number of warnings that makes it impossible to apply? Or perhaps you've just had some bad run ins with the staff?

I'm asking for a friend whose a bit too shy to ask about something like this. And I saw that someone asked something similar earlier as well. Does having a bad reputation on here affect the applications? As in, certain number of warnings that makes it impossible to apply? Or perhaps you've just had some bad run ins with the staff?

Your friend should still apply and it will be discussed with said person when the application comes up. There are different types of warnings after all.

I'm a little confused by what you mean as far as "What do these terms mean to you?". Would you like our viewpoint/definition of the words or...?

Ello there! I don't mean to sound rude or anything, simply curiously but once handing a helper form in when roughly could we expect a reply or is it that if you don't get a response you've been denied?~ Thanks for any/all help! :3 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread