• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Heir to the Dragon Riders {Private}

It had been a good day in the Kingdom of Iris, home of the Dragon Riders. A race of humans who could use magic due to the soul bond they shared with the dragons who chose to fly with them. The riders ruled Iris peacefully and firmly with most of the human citizens being fairly happy under the rule of Queen Lora and King Ivan. The couple were young and King Ivan had only ascended the throne ten years ago. Both were dragon riders. Viera was King Ivan’s large purple dragoness, a fierce warrior and gifted with strong magic. Moll was more of a scholar like his rider, Queen Lora. Most dragons ended up being the opposite gender of their rider, some would say it had sobering to do with balance.

Anyway, the day had been good. It was the fifth birthday of Princess Ovette or Ove as she was called by her family and friends. The little princess was the only child of the King and Queen, who loved her more than life. The young girl had been showered with treats and gifts until the moon shone high in the sky. The choosing ceremony started and the young girl entered the hatchery alone. It was a sacred tradition and nobody else but the future rider was to be present. It was to keep any outside influence from determining her pick. Her parents and the royal guard along with all their dragons stood in wait. Many of the parents of the eggs stood anxiously, wondering if any of their brood would be picked.

When the little girl finally emerged with her egg in hand, the party began. The small girl was permitted to stay up for longer than usual though the excitement of the day wore her out. The day ended with the young girl being carried to her chambers with her father where her egg was sitting on a pedestal, it was due to hatch the next day after all. All eggs hatched within 24 hours of being chosen by a rider. Unfortunately, the hatchling would never get to experience the safety and freedom of growing up in the palace.

It was around midnight when the young girl was stirred awake by her mother. Lora was rushing around the room, get dress covered in something red. There was a satchel that she put Ovette’s new egg in before wordlessly picking up her daughter.”Where’s Papa?”Ove asked tiredly, nuzzling her mother’s shoulder. Lora smiled at her little girl.”Shh, my love. We must be quiet.”She had not the heart to tell her young daughter that her father had been killed by Silas, the leader of the elves who were currently taking over the castle. All that mattered was getting her and the egg to the dragon waiting outside.

When they were close to the dragon, Lora put Ovette on her feet. She placed a cloak over her then handed her the satchel.”Listen, Moll and Viera are...”She glanced at her daughter.”Gone. So is Ivan. I will not leave my people. You must take Ove and leave.”Lora told the dragon grimly, looking behind her constantly.”Fly her away from Iris, across the sea.”She added.”The time of the dragon riders in Iris is gone.”

(I left the description of the egg up to you since I assume the egg will look similar to the dragon’s color)

It had been a good day in the Kingdom of Iris, home of the Dragon Riders. A race of humans who could use magic due to the soul bond they shared with the dragons who chose to fly with them. The riders ruled Iris peacefully and firmly with most of the human citizens being fairly happy under the rule of Queen Lora and King Ivan. The couple were young and King Ivan had only ascended the throne ten years ago. Both were dragon riders. Viera was King Ivan’s large purple dragoness, a fierce warrior and gifted with strong magic. Moll was more of a scholar like his rider, Queen Lora. Most dragons ended up being the opposite gender of their rider, some would say it had sobering to do with balance.

castle-boat-lake-waterfall-fantasy-art-fantasy-city-tower-sailing-ship-birds-1932119.jpg

The Royal banners of Purple and Blue fluttered against the winds as the Kingdom celebrated. Little Ovette, the only child of young King Ivan and Queen Lora, was finally taking the first steps to become a Rider in the kingdom. The gifts and flattery came from all across the Spring Isles, and the merriment among the citizens was only surpassed by that of the Royal Family's.

For the proud Monarchs of Iris, it was a bittersweet moment. King Ivan had spent equal moments joyously showering his only daughter with affection, and sobbing over how quickly she was growing up. Queen Lora was instead quite excited about what the future laid out, wondering what kinds of adventurous individual Ovette would become when she became old enough to learn how to ride.

Anyway, the day had been good. It was the fifth birthday of Princess Ovette or Ove as she was called by her family and friends. The little princess was the only child of the King and Queen, who loved her more than life. The young girl had been showered with treats and gifts until the moon shone high in the sky. The choosing ceremony started and the young girl entered the hatchery alone. It was a sacred tradition and nobody else but the future rider was to be present. It was to keep any outside influence from determining her pick. Her parents and the royal guard along with all their dragons stood in wait. Many of the parents of the eggs stood anxiously, wondering if any of their brood would be picked.

Flooded.png

The location of the Royal Hatchery was a secret kept close to the Kingdom; very few knew of its location, sworn under secrecy to preserve the lineage of Dragons that allowed the kingdom to thrive. Tucked deep under the castle, in a dizzying maze of caverns and waterways, Ovette was tasked with returning with a Dragon Egg. It had been tradition for Riders to go alone and follow what their soul believed was the right way, observed from the shadows by the guardians and parents of the eggs she was to choose out of. She had spent hours scouring and looking, passing over eggs that didn't resonate with her.

Then... A pull. A drawing sensation... Ovette had found her egg.

When the little girl finally emerged with her egg in hand, the party began. The small girl was permitted to stay up for longer than usual though the excitement of the day wore her out. The day ended with the young girl being carried to her chambers with her father where her egg was sitting on a pedestal, it was due to hatch the next day after all. All eggs hatched within 24 hours of being chosen by a rider. Unfortunately, the hatchling would never get to experience the safety and freedom of growing up in the palace.

It was around midnight when the young girl was stirred awake by her mother. Lora was rushing around the room, get dress covered in something red. There was a satchel that she put Ovette’s new egg in before wordlessly picking up her daughter.”Where’s Papa?”Ove asked tiredly, nuzzling her mother’s shoulder. Lora smiled at her little girl.”Shh, my love. We must be quiet.”She had not the heart to tell her young daughter that her father had been killed by Silas, the leader of the elves who were currently taking over the castle. All that mattered was getting her and the egg to the dragon waiting outside.

When they were close to the dragon, Lora put Ovette on her feet. She placed a cloak over her then handed her the satchel.”Listen, Moll and Viera are...”She glanced at her daughter.”Gone. So is Ivan. I will not leave my people. You must take Ove and leave.”Lora told the dragon grimly, looking behind her constantly.”Fly her away from Iris, across the sea.”She added.”The time of the dragon riders in Iris is gone.”

(I left the description of the egg up to you since I assume the egg will look similar to the dragon’s color)

The shimmering capital of Viteau was burning.

The screams of the dying permeated amidst the clashing of steel and the breaking of stone, with the desperate cries of soldier and knight in unison as they fought in parts unknown to Ovette to defend what remained. The town outside had become naught but rubble and flame, and the castle was already crumbling as mother and child fled down one of its numerous halls. It was a miracle that the little princess had not yet stumbled upon a corpse, instead being taken out to the miniscule garden at the very back where a Dragon awaited...

poise_by_chromamancer_d45cgov-pre.jpg

Noble Dragon Leukos, one of the oldest Dragons in the kingdom still alive, and the former mount of King Ivan's mother. It had been a tragedy when he outlived his own Rider, but such lamentations were ill-suited for the moment. He knew the kingdom was on its last legs. The King was dead, and the Queen soon-to-be for the survival of her daughter. The least old Leukos could do was honor the family he watched over, and care for little Ovette while he still had some life left in him.

"Come little one, we must be off." The Dragon rumbled slowly, easing down a wing to serve as a stepping stone for which Ovette could climb up. "We must go quickly while the way to the Summer Isles still lay open. I'm afraid no other continent will welcome, not while the Grand Empire continues to annex and conquer across the seas..."

“Mama, no. Stay with you...”Ove whimpered as tears rolled down her cheeks. The young girl was too little to understand what was going on and why she had to leave. Her eyes were wide and she looked scared.”Oh my little flame, I’m afraid you must go with Leuko. You love him, remember? You must take your egg and go.”She patted the satchel which held the egg. Ovette looked at the satchel, one finger going to her mouth as she anxiously chewed on it.”My egg...”She muttered. Ovette had spent the majority of the previous night cradling “her egg”. Lora helped her daughter get situated in the saddle which had straps on the side to keep her from falling. An expert dragon rider could ride without falling and from anywhere on their dragon. Ove was still a young child so she was still in danger of falling.

Lora looked at Leuko.”Please, teach her our ways.”The woman had tears going down her own cheek, reaching up to stroke the old dragon’s muzzle.”I’m sorry about Ivan. Please, don’t let her forget how much....”A sob broke from her though she tried to keep it quiet from her daughter’s sake who was already starting to nod off again.”How much her Mama and Papa loved her. Let her know she was loved.”She then tried her best to look a little more queen-like as she began to speak again.”The egg will hatch some time after the sun rises. Ove is important but so is he. They both must make it to Ovette’s 12th year...I’m sorry about Ivan, I know you’ve known my husband since he was a babe.”She then straightened and backed away, Ovette had already fallen asleep again on the back of the mighty dragon.

“I did so much. I was a fierce rider, a scholar, a Queen but...she is the best thing I did.”Lora then put her cloak up over her head. She gave the dragon one last pat and then the queen had disappeared into the night. There were terrible roars resounding, the sound of anguish. The elves had reached the hatchery. The roars were of the parents of the remaining eggs, helpless as their brood was smashed or killed.

"Iris has fallen, her people scattered to the winds in exile..." Old Leukos somberly watched as his Queen marched off to join the rest of her kingdom on its last legs. Just like that, the Dragon and Ovette were all that was left of the kingdom; it was left to him to ensure that the Princess grew up, and maybe liberate her home when the time came of age. The child was settled square on his back clutching her egg, the saddle being a touch too big for her tiny frame to rest on securely. He'd have to fly carefully, both to keep his charge safe, and to evade the Elven menace pillaging and destroying behind him.

"We will return in glory; I vow upon it Your Majesties..." Unfurling his golden wings, Leukos leapt off the garden's stone-lined edges and took to the burning skies. He dared not look back when the screeches of his dying brethren resonated against the crackles of spreading flame, and hastened to put as much distance between himself and the capital. The sooner he was rid of the cries of the dead, the more sound he would be when their enemies came for the three of them...

wave-shore-beach-night-wallpaper-preview.jpg

The Spring Isles were not safe; Leukos knew he would have to take Ovette and her egg across the seas if they wanted to grow up in relative safety. But daybreak was soon to occur, and with the entire ocean between him and the wild Summer Isles, he would have to wait and hope that nobody would come across them before they could leave.

"Princess?" He softly growled, bending down as he touched upon the sandy beach. "It is nearing dawn, and your egg will soon hatch."

It was hard to tell if the young girl full understood what was going on below her. She looked concerned whenever she heard a scream but she couldn’t see the ground very well passed Leukos. She had no idea that down below, her mother had been found by the Elves. That she only had enough time to see the old dragon and her daughter soar away from all of this carnage. It was then that the young Queen closed her eyes as an axe was swung onto her head. With that, Ovette became the last surviving member of the royal family.

Ovette remained quiet for most of the journey, the young girl was sleepy and would nod off every now and then. It was to fully sleep on the back of a dragon that you aren’t bonded to. Still, she did manage to doze off every now and then. She was also being woken up by the sounds of scraping in her egg, she could hear the little dragon inside as he tried to push his way out. Ovette giggled and tapped the shell back. It was like this until Leukos landed on the beach. Ovette was able to get off his back on her own though she looked around in confusion.”What about Mama and Papa? Oh, and his parents!”She looked at the egg. The parents of the egg usually liked to be present for the hatching.

Ovette was too young to completely understand what had happened to her home and family. Why wouldn’t they meet her here? She sat down, taking the egg out of the bag and setting it on the warm sand. Ove was a gentle child, she would handle small creatures like bugs with the utmost care so it was no surprise how gentle Ovette was being with her egg. A wave of excitement washed over her, she was going to have her own dragon!

The first 7 years of a dragon and rider’s life together was the two of them growing and bonding. The stronger the bond, more powerful they will be together. Ove could already feel the strings of the bond pulling her to stay close to the egg, she had picked up the egg and placed it in her lap. She could hear the scraping sounds from within getting louder.

“How long until it hatches?”Ove asked the old dragon.

"Your parents..." The words were struggling to form from Leukos' throat, carefully being weaved in a way as to not strike the girl with the truth too early. "They will not be joining us. We have to leave for faraway lands, and your family has to stay behind with the kingdom." The Dragon rumbled, lowering himself further as the moonlight gleamed against his golden scales. It was the truth in a morbid sense; the king and queen couldn't leave their kingdom behind, even if they somehow lived. Hopefully it was enough to placate the seven-year old without needing to spin a lie; he hadn't the heart to tell the truth in full until she had matured...

"Daylight has yet to shine, and already the hatchling claws to break free." The little clicks and scritching against the hardened egg had sparked an emotion of confusion out of old Leukos. The egg was due after sunrise, and yet there were emerging spiderwebs of cracks on the shell. "It shouldn't be hatching so early. Too early and the hatchling will emerge with softened scales; too late and the hatchling will emerge nearly drowned in its own egg."

More cracks and breaks in the shell formed as the Dragon inside thrashed and flailed to get out. Peeks of bright red scales could be seen as cracks made way for little gaps in the increasingly brittle egg shell, and Leukos was increasingly intrigued. "Take care Princess; do not try to help your Dragon break free..."

Ovette was not a dumb child, even at five year olds, the young girl seemed to know more about her world then some adults. It could be because of her parentage. She did not completely understand the concept of death but she knew that bad people had taken over her home. She didn't say anything for a long time, just stared at her egg as she watched the spider web cracks appear on the shell."I won't see them again, right?"She asked softly, though she did not have long to dwell when Leukos brought her attention to the egg. Ove felt worried, it was too early for it to hatch? What if the hatchling wasn't healthy when it was born?

She could see red scales peeking through the cracks and a small smile appeared on her face, she could see what color the dragon was going to be! Ove looked at Leukos."Look, I can see his scales. I think he is going to be red. Thats good, a red dragon hasn't been on the throne for ages. I was worried that he would look too similar to the other dragons who served my family. I wanted my dragon to stand out among the others."She told him with a small smile.

Ove wanted to be the first thing her dragon saw, she didn’t know if it mattered but her mother had told her birds imprinted on the first thing they see when they hatch. She also wished that her mother or father were here with her. She was sure that they would be happy to see that her dragon was hatching. Her father had made so many promises about teaching her how to fly.”What if he gets stuck?”She asked worriedly.

Ovette was not a dumb child, even at five year olds, the young girl seemed to know more about her world then some adults. It could be because of her parentage. She did not completely understand the concept of death but she knew that bad people had taken over her home. She didn't say anything for a long time, just stared at her egg as she watched the spider web cracks appear on the shell."I won't see them again, right?"She asked softly, though she did not have long to dwell when Leukos brought her attention to the egg.

"... Not for a very long time Princess..." Leukos muttered sadly, just out of Ovette's earshot as his charge began commenting on her Dragon Egg. He had already lost a righteous Queen in his own Rider, the old memory having left a deep void in him that he doubted would ever be filled. He saw the deaths of four Monarchs in his lifetime, and he dearly hoped Ovette wouldn't prove a fifth for his long life. He was sworn to safeguard her until she could stand on her own, but the warrior of a bygone life would only rest once he saw the throne returned to its rightful owner.

Ove wanted to be the first thing her dragon saw, she didn’t know if it mattered but her mother had told her birds imprinted on the first thing they see when they hatch. She also wished that her mother or father were here with her. She was sure that they would be happy to see that her dragon was hatching. Her father had made so many promises about teaching her how to fly.”What if he gets stuck?”She asked worriedly.

Bits of eggshell were forcibly blown off as the hatchling inside continued to fight its way towards the outside world, Leukos and Ovette watching on closely. "A Dragon who does not have the strength to break free from his egg will not have the strength to survive the world outside. It is harsh, but coddling breeds complacency in the future." Just as Leukos finished explaining a tidbit of Draconic life, the egg he watched burst and fell away into scattered fragments. Sitting in the fractured remains sat the funniest was the tinniest Dragon whelp Ovette had seen.

"Fascinating..." The golden elder said to himself, carefully stepping around to inspect the hatchling from all angles as it started at Ovette with equal amounts curiosity and trepidation. "Slim, strongly built hind legs, large wings, and no spines along the back and tail..." The pieces quickly fell together, leaving Leukos all the more baffled by the hand Fate had dealt to his charge.

"Most unusual Princess; your Dragon is indeed a sign of your uniqueness to this world. She will make for a special partner."

“But whenever I would fall down while playing, I would cry then Mama would come and pick me up. She would clean my scrapes, I don’t think that’s coddling. She said that our biggest strength can be accepting help from others while we are weak.”Ove told him, she had taken to leaning her back against one of his forearms. Ovette had been raised around dragons and so she had always been very comfortable around them. Leukos was no different, she had grown up around the elderly dragon. He had never even tried harming her, no dragon had.

The young girl turned her attention to the egg as the shell suddenly exploded and a little red dragon sat in her lap. Ove blinked then a grin formed on her face as she reached down to gently stroke the top of the hatchling’s head. She could feel the strings of their bond tugging as she did so.”It’s a female? She’s really pretty, isn’t she? Do I name her?”Her eyes shone with fondness as she leaned forehead to touch her forehead to the baby dragoness’s.

“I love her!”Ove exclaimed as she turned her grin to Leukos for a brief moment before returning her gaze towards the red hatchling.”Hello! My name is Ovette but I think that’s kind of a strange name so I prefer Ove. We’re are gonna be the best of friends and when you are bigger Papa will-...”Her smile fell as soon as the word slipped from her mouth. This was wrong, she should have her parents her. Her eyes welled with tears that her young age did not feel the need to suppress.

After all, crying came easy to a 5 year old. This wasn’t just crying for the sake it, grief washed over.”Leukos, you are gonna stay with us right? For a long time?”She asked, her hand going to stroke the back of the red dragon.

Leukos watched somberly as Ovette petted the newborn dragoness as if they were parent and child. The grief of loss was a familiar pain he knew; Queen Rosa had been a noble Rider and a dear friend, and now her son and daughter-in-law laid dead, and her granddaughter was sobbing bitter tears. He had long accepted that he would outlive many loved ones, but maybe there was some hope that Ovette and her new Dragon would live to see him reunite with his Rider. Carefully he sheltered Ovette with one of his wings, looking out to the rising sun.

"I will remain for as long as you need me child; I still have enough left in me to raise two last children."

He was aware that he was running out of time. The enemy were likely scouring the land for any survivors of the fallen kingdom, and they would be ripe targets sat out on the beach. "Dry your tears Princess; we must leave quickly while we have time. Your home isn't safe anymore and we must leave south for the Summer Isles." It was the only safe place he knew that he could reach, once a wildland where he and his Rider etched their names into history. He loathed the fancy of returning to where he once bloodied his claws to survive, but no other land would provide refuge for a Princess in exile.

"Quickly! Before they discover us on the beach! Fasten yourself and hold onto your hatchling tightly!" He tried as hard as he could to aid the young girl in hoisting herself atop the harness and saddle, barely dusting off when indistinct shouts were beginning to sound from inland. Those shouts were quickly followed with the whistle of sparse arrowfire, but Leukos' lanky frame and Ovette's tiny body proved impossible targets to hit. The golden Dragon had escaped to the open seas before any danger could be poised, and he settled in for a long and gruelling transit over an expansive ocean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back