• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Haven Redux [CLOSED] (Roleplay)

Characters
Here
Ceres
The paladin stepped through the gate quietly as she returned to the site of the battle. She was here for more reasons then just the mission. She wanted to investigate the site where Aphremia fell and the surrounding area. She hoped to find more Information to add to that which she gathered from the spectacled man. She stepped towards the gate as they were greeted. “Hail friend! We figured we could handle a few undead with just this group. Would you care to allow us entry? It would be best to gather information over tea rather than with arrows.” She explained with the same false smile.

Galla
“I...uh... hope that wasn’t too painful” the necromancer replied nervously twiddling her fingers as she followed behind him. “Are you ready to head out? I think the others were taking the new recruits and questing themselves.” Her dull eyes shifted, worried she went a bit overboard. The once seperate necromancer soon crumbled and returned to being just a flaming skull once more.

Sonya
Sonya eyed the caravan from the bluff. “You go ahead and do that... Ill stick to the shadows and scout ahead.” She said as she began to make her way down the bluff, getting closer to the caravan, but not making her presence known. She was taught the element of surprise, its best to catch your foes off guard rather than to fight them head on.

((Okay, so here is a list of who is where, for ease of access:

The Grimoire in the Goblin Den - Max: 3: Iseult, Orion and Yltriss
The War Front - Max: 9: Faloan, Sonya, Berry and Hektor
An Undead Incursion - Max: 10: Ceres, Pang, Isadora, Galla, Henry and Gabriel

Special thanks to Elrandir for collating this list. Many thanks, bud!))

- Grimoire in the Goblin Den Quest -

The old man's expression did not change much excepting a raise of one of his eyebrows. A dark elf greeting him came as a definite surprise, as unbeknownst to the Haven members, even the older ones, dark elves caused a fair amount of trouble within the past thirty years. As this man lived throughout those thirty years and a fair amount more, he was a bit disturbed to talk with one, but if they were from the locally trusted faction of the Haven he wondered if she were rehabilitated or maybe even better natured than those he came across.

"My apologies," he replied over the short distance, lowering his blades but keeping his old eyes on everyone. "You must mean one of old Pothifar's grimoires. Strange man, him, but I have done a job for him of a similar nature. Goblins have been running rampant in my lands around here, and have taken a liking to the dark caves north of here." He points in the right direction, up a small, clover-laden slope leading up into a dense wall of trees. You seem like mages, so fire magic will be very helpful for lighting up caves. If not that, take two of my torches. I make pitch, so torches come easily by me."

He entered the one-roomed hut and took out some fresh torches with pitch-soaked batts of cotton fabric, handing it to Iseult and Orion.

"Remember," he forewarned, "be on your guard, and be mindful of your weapons. Goblins make nasty enemies, so the quicker you kill them the better, but they could leave that book anywhere. They're intelligent enough, but not quite up to my or your level." He smiled, feeling a little more at ease with talking to the dark elf. "Honestly, I'm not sure if it is in there, but if you do me the service of collecting goblin ears I'll pay you a bounty of, hmm, 150 coins for each of them. They are bothersome to me. Oh, and that's one ear each goblin. Don't snip off two now. I can tell. Fare thee well now. I have work to do."

Yltriss looked at the other two within her party with a smile as the old man wandered back inside his hut, the girl pleased that there was something secondary to this mission. It was not much in comparison to the mission, but every little bit helps, especially when it comes to self-improvement or getting materials necessary for survival, like elixirs of life and phoenix feathers.

"Well then, we have a direction at least. Let's clear this den out and find that book," she comments to the others.

(Side quest: 150 coins per goblin ear if given to the old ranger.)

- War Front Quest -

The caravan slowly came to a halt when one of the front halfling guards caught sight of Faloan, the man in charge swinging out his hand to stop the drivers. Curious and skeptical eyes were commonplace and were fixated on Faloan, but none noticed Sonya in the darkness.

"The Haven? Huh, I wasn't informed you were coming. You don't seem like our enemies, though. Thank goodness you are here, then. We are a little understaffed and need a few helping hands."

In the bushes, about a hundred feet away from where Faloan was and somewhat near Sonya, a few additional eyes spied on the Haveners and the caravan. Two men were dressed up in dark, tight-fitting clothing, each with hoods pulled loosely over their heads, one blue and one red.

"They have some new folks," one whispered. "Should we call off the attack?"

"No, not yet," the other replied in a low whisper as well. "They may have more people, but look at the way they are armed. They aren't able to stop a hail of arrows and crossbow bolts. We'll gun them down like we did the last caravan."

((Sonya, you have a chance to catch them unaware, or the others too if you have a good sixth sense, hearing, or sight. One or two more posts before some action may come to pass.))

- Undead Incursion Quest -

Briggs laughed jovially and opened his arms wide.

"I could not agree more. Stand down, men. Lower your bows. These are allies, not enemies, as you can tell from the freshness of their flesh." Within three seconds, not an arrow could be seen on the walls. Briggs looked behind him and smirked. "You will have to pardon us. We are not used to entrances such as yours, and undead are encroaching. Come in, and we will show proper hospitality before the stench of war settles on us. Gatekeeper! Open the gate and portcullis, if you don't mind."

The gate swung wide, and the iron portcullis was cranked open, allowing for the newcomers and Briggs to enter the main bulk of the citadel. Within the walls could be seen a handful of soldiers, but for the most part there were refugees. Men, women, and children of various races, mainly the human plains-folk, could be observed with both hope and fear. Their old and young were too frail for the long trek to Sapnin Village, so they stayed here for survival. Pang cursed the strict regulations of teleporting these people back to the Haven. While he was certain that the walls were not going to fall, he thought it would be a wise decision to send those who could not fight away rather than potentially suffer in the attack.

"Briggs, was it?" Pang started out. "I have two questions. Is there a safe place for the families to gather when under siege? Also, are there any preparations we need to look out for if we are to fight on or outside the walls?"

The Aquafolk captain looked over the Zouyu before answering: "There is a cavity further into the gap that was carved for that explicit purpose, so we have no need to worry there. As far as preparations go, they are relatively simple. Explosives and lines of gunpowder are tucked around in two lines. As soon as the main force comes in place, half their forces will be burnt to ash, and fire arrows will handle the rest. With you, though, it will be much smoother, and we can protect the remainder of the gap."

Pang nodded his thanks and looked toward the gate, wondering why he felt it would not be this easy. Perhaps it will and his worries will be for nothing, but if it was anything like Aprameia's siege upon Sapnin Village this will have many unexpected turns.

Ceres
The paladin listened to the plan and thought for a moment. “Then It may be wise for me to stay behind, my barrier magic will certainly supply a great amount of defense. Also prayer and armor are excellent ways to keep people calm in a dangerous and frightful situation.”

Sonya
There was a small flicker in Sonya’s eyes as she swiftly located the two who spoke to one another. Almost as a reflex she melded with the shadows and crept slowly towards the two, leaving the axe in a bush close by as it would have made too much noise for now. As she drew very near a dome of stone would engulf herself and the two figures who were spying on the caravan, enveloping the three in complete darkness. Sonya said no words at all, and had made sure to keep her presence minimal. They might think they were trapped, just the two of them, that would be the moment Sonya continued to wait for, keeping to sides. Sonya listened closely for their voices, before attacking. She was just as blind as them.

Sonya noticed how felt comfortable in the dark. All the actions preformed felt practiced to her. She failed to understand why this felt normal but decided to question it later. The targets in front of her came first.

Last edited:
- Faloan Apateon - War Front Quest -

"My apologies, it seems that my higher ups failed to inform you about our time of arrival," Faloan said as she bowed slightly, "but, as you can see, we came here to offer our services."

Faloan was sure that Sonya was close enough, the girl looked as if she knew what she was doing, and having a pair of eyes in the shadows would be of great importance on a mission to protect such caravan. The element of surprise would be very useful at any point the enemy tried to take the caravan and the guards by surprise. Night time was a pretty good time for anyone to hide in the shadows, and as such, Faloan would pay attention to the surroundings, just in case she spotted anything out of the ordinary.

"I suggest that we keep moving while we speak, my dear gentlemen. You don't want to be attacked while staying still, yes?" Faloan said, "You can further explain the situation as we walk. Now, if you are so kind as to explain the full situation. Is this a common occurrence? Any information you have about those who are trying to attack your caravan?"

The Dragoness could notice some movement in the distance, slight movement among the bushes. Could those be the ones trying to steal from the caravan? Or was it Sonya who had found something?

"Please, keep your eyes on your surroundings at all time, gentlemen, it seems that something is moving among the trees and bushes in the distance," Faloan said calmly, watching in the direction of the rustling of the bushes, "or maybe some of the others already found our thieves. In any case, keep acting normal, but stay alert, just in case there are more of them."

- Iseult Mylis - Grimoire in the Goblin Den Quest -

Iseult, while looking around the place, did noticed the strange way the old man acted as he spoke. He was eyeing her with some level of distrust. Was it because they were members of the Haven? Or was it something else?

"So this hasn't been the first time a group of goblins have taken an item from this Pothifar? That is interesting. Goblins prefer dark places, so caves would be a perfect hiding place for a group of them," Iseult said as she grabbed the torch the old man gave them, "Thank you for the torches. We Dra'tul can see well in the darkness, but torches are always useful. In any case, if the book is not there then there is nothing we can do about it, and the client should be informed. As for your, um, service? killing and collecting goblin ears should be easy enough. I think we shall take our leave for now. Thank you for your help."

Iseult bowed slightly at the old man as he left, she looked in the direction he had pointed and then back at Yltriss.

"Having a direction is a good start. And we also got a couple of torches to use once we go inside the caves," she said to Yltriss, "Let us continue with this mission, but let's be careful about our surroundings. We never know when there could be some goblins wandering outside at this hour."

–Orion, Grimoire Quest–
Elrandir Elrandir , Thanny Thanny

"Whoa, easy there," Orion said, holding up his palms to display that he was unarmed. Unfortunate for the ranger, Orion's hands were his weapons, but he needn't know that. "We mean no harm. In fact, we are here to snatch up a grimoire from an unpleasant goblin. Might you have a direction in which to point us, good sir?"

Essentially he had echoed Iseult, who'd stated essentially the same points as himself, asking the same questions.

It struck Orion as intriguing to learn that the ranger was familiar with teleporters. Whether it be from magic of this world, or other patrons from The Haven, he wasn't certain, but it was noteworthy to him nonetheless.

He lowered his hands to his sides, listening to the man's response to Iseult. He gladly accepted the torch, musing over Iseult's words before adding his own two cents. "Thank you as well, good sir. Unlike the Dra'tul, we humans do not see well in the dark, so these torches will be quite handy." While it was perhaps possible to detect the sarcasm in his tone, his gaze held mirth as he looked on at his new comrade, a slight smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Anyone wield the magic of fire?" he inquired, taking up the route toward the north and pressing onward. "It seems that it might be a weakness to our adversary here. I am not magically inclined toward any elements, you see, so I will be relying on you to do your handiwork. That is not to say that I won't make myself useful, however." He glanced around at their surroundings, noticing the trees soaring high into the sky, canopying them and obscuring the sun from proper view. "It seems well within the afternoon at this point. Hopefully we can make it to the caves before nightfall so that we do not have to set up camp."

–Kolm, The Haven, prior to Galla's departure–
HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria

The cold mage barely shifted his gaze over his shoulder, not willing himself to look Galla in the face. "If our encounter took place anywhere but The Haven's arena it would've been far worse." Admittedly being burnt alive by necrotic flames was anything but pleasant, and to say that he'd experienced anything worse in his life would've been a lie, and yet he didn't want to make Galla feel bad.

Finally Kolm spun around, drawing in a tight breath and meeting Galla's eyes at last. He wore a haunted expression, something akin to fear in his bright aqua-blue eyes that had not existed previously. "I will be fine; don't worry about me. Worry is not becoming on you," he tried to tease, hoping to lighten the mood. "It just takes a bit to recover from burning to your death while alive, mentally, but nothing that a good walk won't cure." A frown furrowed his brow as she inquired if he were ready to head out, to which he shook his head. "I think . . . I shall sit this one out, but if you're able to do anything like you did today I know that you will do great. I will see you when you get back."

Because of course she was coming back. Kolm had no doubt of her survival, or at least that was how he chose to view it whenever either would leave the Haven on a mission that could cost them their lives. His right hand fidgeted, before he extended it and drew it back, almost as if he wanted to reach out and grasp her hand and remembering that the necromancer didn't like physical contact.

–Isadora Malachite, Undead Incursion Quest–
HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria , Thanny Thanny , Scrapmaster Scrapmaster

The sudden change in climate caught Isadora off-guard, causing the woman to draw a breath as she flung her arm over her head to shield her eyes from the sun. It didn't take long for her eyes to adjust to the light. The sight of the rolling hills was magnificent–peaceful and beautiful. If it weren't for the sound of bowstrings behind them, she would perhaps have remained bewitched by them for a moment longer.

Fear and irritation clung at her heart from the arrows being directed in their direction, though thankfully someone was willing to vouch for them. After listening to his introduction Isadora blinked, a frown furrowing her brow.

"It must have been our comrades. We are but a new assortment, fresh pickings from the crop," she murmured, unable to keep bitterness from leaching into her tone. "But thank you for the warm welcome. I understand that precautions must be made given the difficult times that your people are enduring."

The tall dark-haired elf followed her fellow comrades through the gates and into the city, which looked as though it were both a refuge and storehouse for weaponry. Displeasure was written all over her face as they were being shown the weaponry and explosives.

"This is it?" she asked dismally. "You are just waiting until the undead approach and you are planning to attack? With all due respect, I think you need a better plan. Why not charge them, give them a run for their money? At this rate they will penetrate the city walls, and you will be looking at civilian casualties. They won't care if they're killing innocent children or destroying families. Taking the battle to them before they can encroach the city is the best course of action, and perhaps the best chance that these poor people have."

Isadora jerked her head in the general direction of the cavity which Briggs spoke of. "While you may have a cavity carved out for these families, I wouldn't ride on the assumption that undead are going to avoid it like the plague. Assumptions are dangerous."

{The Harrowed - Jarod: The War Front Quest}
Jerod at first was unsure where to go. This form of choice was not usual for him. Usually, the Call would illuminate his path. But this time, it was quiet. Well, if the choice was to be his alone, he would go where he felt he would do the most good. A beat after most of the others proceeded through the gate, he followed after those heading for the War Front.
Once through the gate, it took Jerod a moment to adjust to the new world. It had its own patterns and auras unique to itself. With each world brining something new, these quests would be a treat as well as helpful. Once he felt comfortable, he joined the caravan, striding up beside Faloan.
“One of our companions is close to what I assume are some of the thieves.” The Blind Wanderer said softly to the Dragoness.
Jerod kept his head raised to smell the wind and slightly at an angle to listen to the world.

- The War Front, Berybrillo -

The caravan members, especially the ones in the back, heard the crunch and groan of the earth dome that Sonya made, and some of the horses panicked and trotted in place. One of the halflings beside the one in charge of the guard looked fretfully in the direction of Sonya.

"The earth . . . it's moving. There's an earth mage out there, I can see it, but not the mage itself. It's round, like a hill, but hollow." If one can see his eyes in the darkness, you could see a fiery rainbow sheen in his eyes, capable of reading the lay of the earth. This skill of Earth Sight was rare even among halflings and gnomes, creatures who are well-versed in living in harmony with the ground. "Captain, we must keep moving. The inside is being lashed at by a weapon, no, two at the same time. Two people or more lie trapped under a dome of earth."

"This is new to me," Berry replied finally, scratching her head, "but I assume it is Sonya. Hektor is not an earth mage, to my understanding. I agree, Faloan; we must continue. Sonya will catch up when she doesn't see us. She knows our direction."

The caravan guard made signs to the driver to continue forward. The horses were sluggish to start, as was the two driving gnomes who squinted distrustingly toward the tall folk, but they did as Faloan proposed and moved forward at a doubled pace. The guards in back jogged behind, not used to this speed but quickly getting acclimated.

"Faloan, you seem to have sharp senses. Be the Haven's eyes alongside that guard over there. My eyes aren't good for such darkness," Berry uttered with a sad note. Her eyes were animated, on the other hand. "However, I will take point. Anything short of certain actions can't cause me harm. Jerod, I don't know your specialty, but I trust in your skills."

With a grin toward Jerod and Faloan, she ran ahead of the group as the first line of defense, every lick of trust out there for her allies.

-- -- --

Within the earth dome, as previously mentioned, the two watchers found themselves encapsulated by an empty mound of stone, or so they thought since Sonya was in there with them. One drew a blood-red weapon of anodized aluminum layered upon steel that struck the stone and sent a few sparks through the air, not enough to light the inside, but enough to gauge what the material was. Behind him the other did something similar, smacking the side with his hammer. Both quickly realised from its cold feel and resilience that this was stone.

"Not good," the first said. They have an earth mage nearby. Good thing I packed flares so we can break out."

Using the same weapon, the scoundrel lit the fuse with a strike of his weapon against the stone, causing more sparks that ignited the temperamental wick. The area was lit brightly, and the two men were quickly perturbed to find that they weren't alone when they saw Sonya in there as well.

"Oh, [EXPLETIVES]!" the hammer-laden one said, swinging his weapon without much force behind it due to a poor swing. He aimed for reaction speed and not power, which can be a pitfall for him and lead to an easy downfall. The other drew his blade defensively at first, wasting valuable time, before raising it high and trying to perform a stab to Sonya's chest. The weapon was about as long as a long dagger, but to them it was as if it were a shortsword.

- The Grimoire in the Goblin Den, Yltriss -

Iseult's comment elicited Yltriss' grim smile, as she found it quite agreeable and worthy of following, and took steps forward alongside the rest of the group as they started up the slope near the road and headed northward. She later shook her head towards Orion, replying in her gravelly voice, "Unfortunately, fire magic is not in my repertoire. My skills lie within my ability to use the earth around me, which will be very handy inside the caves . . . and out here."

The forest around them was natural, unmaintained except by the handiwork of the world, and as they plodded on they met no resistance or worry. The closest thing to it was a porcupine along the makeshift path of overgrown fern fronds, a shuffling hill of quills that looked up at the party, sniffed the air, then fled in a non-hurried manner through the same ferns from which it came.

Not twenty minutes later they came across a swath of destruction. Trees were none too delicately chopped down by crude weaponry, branches stripped, and bones piled around the entrance of a narrow entrance to a cave that was definitely squat. The party would have to crawl on their hands and knees to enter, while goblins or other small humanoids may only have to duck and stoop. Bone charms and rattles decorated the ceiling of this low entrance, and would cause noise if passed under.

"Nobody around 'sides us," Yltriss pointed out, stopping and listening. "I see footprints in the mud around here leading to the cave, definitely humanoid and small. Kobolds or goblins, maybe, though that older fellow did say goblins are around here. And there, noise traps." She pointed at the rattles. "Let's snip them and enter quietly, maybe. I doubt they would like to greet surprise guests all too much."

- Undead Incursion, Pang -

Briggs stiffened under the pressure of Isadora's argument, and his mustache bristled from anger. He looked at Pang for some reason or another, and the Zouyu shrugged before chiming in a response: "She's right, you know. We cannot wholly depend on firepower and keeping the walls. Sallying tactics might work, but the best bet is a straight-up offensive before they crush our defenses. We have several strong magic users, including you. Together we can hold the line."

The Aquafolk general shook his head.

"You don't understand. It's like last time. There's a mage in there, probably the one that raised this army. We sent parties out there to delay the undead. None returned, and most probably joined the horde as fresh bodies. I heard blasts of fire, and saw the cloud of smoke. I have a feeling we are dealing with a pyromancer as well as a necromancer."

"All the more reason to thin the ranks before they assail the walls," added Pang. "Take out the mage or mages and the walls will be safe. Unless they have ladders or battering rams, and I doubt they have either, they cannot scale walls of stone."

Briggs looked between the two of them with confusion, as this did not quite meet his expectation of tactics to be performed, but tossed his hands up in the air.

"Fine, but I'd rather not lose our advantage of the walls. Some archers will be on the walls as suppressive fire and some outside the walls as support, and us Aquafolk can use the magic we are gifted to cover the ground troops. Any other ideas?"

Pang cracked a grin and glanced over to Isadora.

"The table is yours, Isadora. You seem to have a bit more understanding of battle tactics than I do. Should we attack before they reach this line of defense, or should we use the line of explosives first? If we have to flee, though, there lies the danger of us having firebolts being launched at us and blowing up the barrels instead."

Last edited:
Sonya
The young girl exhaled sharply and darkness returned to the dome as shadows consumed the source of the light. Her body sunk swiftly into the stone below her, allowing her to traverse beneath her targets like a shark circling its prey. “The two of you have been designated as prey and fools. However like the lords of my land, I am a generous ruler. Surrender yourselves or been devoured by earth and shadow.” She beckoned from beyond their reach. If they wouldn’t comply she would simply collapse the dome upon them untile they were crushed by the very earth that trapped them.

Galla
Galla sighed a bit dissapointed but she understood and began to make her way to the gate. “Rest well.” She stated shortly before leaving Kolm’s sight. Soon after Galla herself passed through the gate towards the undead incursion upon Sapnin Villiage. A place where her magic may not be accepted but would certainly come into great use and practice.

Faloan listened to what Jarod had to say. So thieves were close to the caravan at this point. They had arrived at the right time, it seemed.

"So it seems. We better be careful then. Captain, I suggest you listen to your man and move. Our mage over there will make sure we are not disturbed," Faloan said as she kept focusing on her surroundings, just in case Sonya didn't get all the enemies, "for the time being, anyways. The faster the caravan gets away from this place, the better."

The Dragoness tried to discreetly cast a scrying spell, slightly waving her hands to form the arcane patters, only for it to fail. This confused her for a split second. She knew the spell and how to cast it, she knew the arcane pattern, the configuration, necessary amount of arcane energy, and yet the spell failed. This was interesting, but it wouldn't do anyone any good to dwell on such subject, for now.

"I will do as asked, Miss Berybrillo, do not worry." Faloan said calmly, paying full attention to the "certain actions" part of Berybrillo's comment, "Now, let's be careful about our surroundings. Keep your eyes open and be ready for any possible attack coming from our friends in the shadows."

With that Faloan followed the caravan, spear ready for any possible surprise attack.

"I'm good with elemental magic," Iseult said to Orion as she put both hands forwards, "I beseech thee, ancient Lord of Fire, come forth and honor thy blood pact of old."

Iseult waited for a moment, and another, and another one, but the flames of the Spirit Lord of Fire never came. How? She knew how to cast elemental spells. She tried with other small elemental spells, and she could only managed to use Water and Lightning elements.

"Uhm. . . it seems that, somehow, I am unable to use most of my spells," she said, a hint of nervousness and confusion in her tone, "I wonder why. I could cast spells perfectly fine back in my world. Did my abilities somehow got supressed after arriving at the Haven?"

The dark elf remained silent for the rest of the trip, wondering what was going on with her. When she saw the destruction of the trees and the pile of bones around the narrow entrance to the cave, she was surprised. It was going to be a little hard to move in there, at least for the other two. She was the smallest of the group by the look of it.

"It looks that it will be a tight space inside, but maybe the cave opens up further in?" Iseult said as she peeked inside, making sure she was not disturbing the noise traps, or that she would be stepping in a trap in the ground, "I agree, let's get rid of the noise traps so they do not know that we are trespassing. Perhaps I should go first? my eyes work fine in the darkness. That way, I could search for traps."

Before going inside, Iseult gave Yltriss the other torch. She would be fine in the dark, but maybe they won't. It was the better choice, in her mind.

"Take it. Also, we need to make sure we have something to light up the torches if needed. Maybe some flint," she said calmly, "Those torches could be useful to blind whatever we encounter inside. Their eyes will be used to the darkness and some sudden light might stun them for a few seconds while they try to adjust."

–Orion–
HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria , Thanny Thanny , Elrandir Elrandir

"That's a shame, really," he said nonchalantly to Yltriss' response, mostly unconcerned by the lack of fire magic within their party. It seemed that the dark elf had a solution, to which Orion was more than happy to hear. Try as the young woman might, however, flames didn't come into effect, causing a frown to furrow on the scholar's brow.

"Now that really is a shame," he murmured, glancing around the ground. "We will definitely need a way to light these torches. While our dear elven friend can search out traps, it would be nice for us to be able to see where we are going, or the goblin and grimoire if we encounter either."

As they continued the scholar predominately had his eyes trained on the ground, in search of flint or some other kind of material that could be used for lighting their torches. Thankfully he was in luck, as he spotted some not too far from a nearby tree. He started to make his way over casually until his companions pointed out the fact that traps were within the vicinity. Retracting one step, Orion's gaze swept along the terrain, though it didn't seem as though anything were in his path. Carefully he retrieved the flint and tiptoed back to his companions. It wasn't until after he'd returned to their side that he realized that the "traps" were noise traps, located chiefly around the entrance to a very small opening of a cave. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, pocketing the flint for the time being as he measured out the ropes holding the bells that would doubtlessly announce their arrival if something weren't swiftly done about them.

"If anyone has a blade to spare I can cut them," Orion suggested. "But perhaps it'd be best if I delicately hold the rope so that we don't accidentally make noise dismantling the traps."

In terms of Iseult going in first, that would have definitely been an optimal choice in Orion's mind. She was the smallest, could see the farthest, and without torches or anything to light their path Yltriss and Orion would be striking blind or walking right into a trap. Either option wasn't a positive one in Orion's mind, so he turned toward his young elven companion and nodded.

"I think you would indeed be the best one to take the lead, and I the rear," Orion admitted to Iseult. "But we have your back. Just tell us what you need us to do. Hopefully this entire . . . structure isn't so miniature."

–Isadora–
Thanny Thanny , HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria , Scrapmaster Scrapmaster

The elven woman watched with sullen emerald eyes as Briggs didn't take her suggestions positively. However, it relieved her some that her comrade took her side, in that the general's plan, while sound, did prove to be a risk to the civilians. Having enough manners not to interrupt, she remained silent until spoken to, to which she straightened slightly from her position alongside the Zouyu.

"General, I understand your hesitation, really I do," she started, gaze meeting his before it was drawn heavily to the ground. "I heralded from a war-torn world myself, watching my husband die and my friends and family butchered in the streets like livestock. You want to keep your people safe, and I respect that. We want nothing more than to ensure their safety as well, which is why I propose that we take the battlefront to them before they can lay claim to this city at all."

She shook her head, dark locks shaking free from the scythe on her back, before glancing toward Pang, as if in response to his question. "Do we know where they reside? Can we not catch them unaware by charging their fort, leading an assault to them rather than merely defending ourselves?

"Regardless, I would have to opt for the first option, Pang"–Isadora jerked her head toward the general–"Mister Briggs. I propose that we use this line of defense as a last resort. It may be riskier for us, but I too am a pyromancer, and let us not forget that we have other mages within our midst. With our team in addition to your soldiers as backup, General, I feel confident that we can stave them off the walls."

Was she really that confident, or was she just saying that? Where were these words coming from anyway? Perhaps she had spent too many evenings in King Alexander's war room overhearing battle strategies. Perhaps it was foolhardy, and maybe they would all die, but she would do about anything if it meant mothers not having to be separated from their children, the innocents being caught out in the streets and burned alive.

No one should ever have to endure that, Isadora thought darkly, eyes watering slightly as the war scene upon Kilkis Seres flashed in her mind, the small frightened faces of her children as the door was ripped from their home and they were told to flee.

Yevgeni . . . Veriti . . . . Be safe, my loves. I am coming for you, I promise.

- War Front, Berry and gang -
Elrandir Elrandir HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria RikuXIII RikuXIII

The two thieves panicked momentarily upon the darkness closing in again, their weapons meeting nothing but air as the girl audibly submerged into the very ground beneath their feet. This earth magic was beyond even some of their elders, who could wade through lesser earth but not hard stone. The one with the blood-red shortsword cursed and bit his thumb, swiping the blood caused by it onto the ground and causing an overlarge mole familiar to appear from a drawn square. The other with the hammer took a deep breath and locked himself into a horse stance, building up an decent amount of energy into his body from Sonya's expended magic.

"Mole, get her!" the summoner called out, the mole rearing and placing its paws onto the ground.

Sonya would find herself moderately contested for control over the ground as the mole used its own brand of earth magic to entangle and weaken her ability to use earth magic. Meanwhile, the one with the hammer would have built enough energy (after one post) to smash his way out of the stone barrier. Whatever Sonya does, she has to do it fast before her tunnel caves in about her thanks to the mole, and her prisoners become her jailers.

-- -- --

Outside of the dome, the wagon rolled on for several minutes unhindered, but deep in the underbrush some danger could be seen or heard by Faloan if her eyes and ears are sharp. Dangerous glints of arrowheads popped out of roadside shrubs, five pointed at Berybrillo being first, and three toward Faloan being second.

Twangs of the strings of shortbows and a louder one from a longbow could be heard. Berry, nor reacting in time, was struck hard and quick, with three arrows piercing her left arm, upper torso, and right leg. She cried out in surprise and pain as the arrows stuck and she fell over. With Faloan's distance, some might not even hit her, but with her draconic gifts the ones that might hit may not even be much of a hindrance against dragon skin. Jerod, for whatever reason, did not receive any arrows. Perhaps they did not view him as much of a threat, but they might be in for some serious pain for not targeting him.

One of the guards behind was aimed at as well, this one being the longbowman in the bushes. If undeterred, the arrow would make a grievous wound but not be lethal.

"Alarm!" cried the other head guard, readying his buckler and placing a rounded bullet in his sling. Never should a sling be underestimated, nor halfling eyes, because when he launched the projectile into a bush he struck one of the adversaries.

- Grimoire in the Goblin Den, Yltriss -
Elrandir Elrandir Mystics Apprentice Mystics Apprentice

"Hmm, no fire magic would be an issue," Yltriss droned with a hint of sadness, "but lightning might be good for lighting an area. However, with my gifts I can probably find some flint. Bear with me."

Closing her eyes, she wove her hand through the air, feeling the surrounding location in a ten meter stretch. Her eyes tightened as she found one such rock and unearthed it from two feet under the ground nearby, catching it and breaking it into angular pieces. Earth magic and scrying were very useful for foraging.

"There you go," she replied, tossing one of the shards in Orion's direction. "Strike this once inside against the torch and it should spark it to life. Just be careful not to scorch yourself, dearie."

Later, when the cave's entrance was discovered and her companions voiced their concerns and help she offered her blade, a stiletto of thin and elegant design, to Orion. She also accepted the torch from Iseult, both giving and receiving with a small smile.

"There's a nice blade for cutting. I trust you to handle it properly, Orion. As for the torch, thank you, Iseult. My heritage, while elvish, is not likely as eagle-eyed as yours. Now, let's see what we can do to enter. It is wisest to let you go in first, but if you find any trouble make a sign and I'll pull you out with earth magic."

Together with Orion and Iseult, things were seemingly going without a hitch. Yltriss hacked at one or two bone chimes on her side, allowing enough room for Iseult to wedge herself inside uncomfortably, but with Orion on the other end it should be much easier for all of them.

Whenever Iseult enters the cave, she would find it unguarded and mostly clean in terms of floors. Spilled goblinated wine stunk up the room, as well as some putrid cheese discarded to the side of the cave, but beyond some rocks and some crude hatchets and a roughly chopped young tree without any branches there was not much else there.

"Is it safe?" Yltriss would ask on the other end, hoping to be ready for anything.

- Undead Incursion, Pang -
HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria Mystics Apprentice Mystics Apprentice Scrapmaster Scrapmaster

Briggs, once still brittle from having his pride challenged, finally settled his anger upon hearing of Isadora's past. A war of conquest is a heinous atrocity in his eyes, but a war of prevention was a just one. He lowered his eyes and bowed his head.

"My . . . apologies, then, milady. I too endured war and lost loved ones and friends, but never a wife and children. I care for the civilians, but I care for my men too. That is my reason for keeping to the walls, but your more direct method seems plausible too. Let's do that."

Pang was both saddened and impressed by Isadora and nodded in her direction as reinforcement and support.

"Let's gather our forces, then," Pang offered, "and get our men and women situated before they manage to get into our chosen position before we do. Ceres, I do not know which you would favour doing, guarding the walls or helping us, but I We also have Galla here to provide support. She was immeasurably helpful with her flying beast in our last battle, and she has only gotten stronger now."

He smiled in Galla's direction, pleased to see that she had chosen this quest out of all the others. Out of everyone here, her presence comforted him the second-most, Ceres a first for whatever reason, though he secretly could think of one possibility.

-- -- --

When everyone was all set, they did not have long before the undead horde trekked into view from the mountain path. Some in front, possibly as torment for having fought the main body on the mountainside, were still trickling blood from their corpses, lurching their arms forward and longing for the taste of human flesh. Pang recoiled. This form of necromancy was among the most crude, and filled the afflicted with an unrelenting hunger, but it also was among the most useful. The undead had such an autocracy and yet a self-independence that they were demoralising, deadly, and did not need much control.

Briggs did not hesitate to have his soldiers shoot flaming arrows at even his old men. A volley of fire arrows rained death on some of the shriveled corpses and took down some of the recent dead, easily setting them aflame, but more took their place. If any mages wanted to shoot their own long-distance magic on the enemy, this was their chance.

Pang took a stance from the front line, his fist lighting up in green strands of supercharge before he fired a fire-based projectile from his gloved fist. His gloves were laced with fire magic, and supercharging it launched a semi-decent fireball toward the enemy. It was not much, but it set two corpses ablaze. Perhaps the others would find a better chance of taking the enemy down.

((19 undead lost to arrows, 2 to Pang. 79 more to go before a boss event. Feel free to make up your own casualties and fight sequence.))

The earth mage should be keeping the thieves busy, at least for a little while. That's what Faloan believed, anyways. There had been no attack after the faint noise happened, but having small numbers to attack and steal from such a well protected caravan would have been unwise. So, the most obvious choice would be to have more units further down the road. While the current pace was nice, it was still not quick enough, not for the Dragoness, at least. Even with the sound of the carriages's wheels and footsteps, Faloan could hear the sound of the rustling of the leaves in the shrubs, the crackling of branches, and the glint of moonlight reflecting on small pieces of metal.

"Careful! We have-" she yelled.

This came a little too late as Berybrillo was struck with multiple arrows and let out a scream of pain. This was unfortunate, but not exactly worrisome, if the girl's comment earlier about only certain actions being able to cause harm was to be trusted. Instead, in the split second, Faloan could hear the sound of arrows flying through the air, from below her dress came out something, but it disappeared back as quickly as it came out, this something caused a powerful gust of wind in the direction of the shrubs, disrupting the arrows coming their way and, hopefully, also disturbing the trajectory of the arrow that was flying towards the guard. With the movement caused by the gust of wind, the attackers's location would be possibly revealed to the members of the caravan, leaving them open for an attack.

"This world has some naughty children hidding in the darkness," Faloan said as a smile formed on her lips, "let's see if their true nature is revealed with some light."

Faloan focused on the direction from which the arrows came from, trying to locate the spot in which most of the attackers were gathered. She then raised her hand towards the direction of the shrubs and, in a flowing movement from her wrist, she snapped her fingers. The moment the snap happened, a burst of flames happened in the shrubs, burning anything, and anyone, who was hiding in the shadows. It was smaller than her usual attack, when compared against her full might, but it would be enough to, at least, burn some of them.

Iseult looked at Yltriss for a couple of seconds. So, she had eleven blood on her veins. That was interesting to learn.

"Do not worry about it. Me and my people live under the constant blanket of the starry night sky, and so our eyes are better suited for the darkness," Iseult said as she carefully took some of the noise traps and carefully cut them with her own dagger, "now, let see if we can find this grimoire."

After taking a couple of minutes disabling the traps with Orion, Iseult carefully made her way into the cave, eyes still searching for any possible trap, and disabling them if needed, and any footprints that looked like those of a goblin, or another strange creature. The Dark Elf raised her hand to signal her teammates to stop for a moment. The cave was unguarded, but it was only the entrance, her nose quickly detected the scent of wine, she also managed to see some discarded cheese to the side, a few hatchets and a chopped tree without any branches. The place was safe, for now.

"There are signs of goblins living here. Some spilled wine, and some cheese over there. There are also some crude hatchets, they don't look well made or maintained," Iseult whispered to Yltriss, "we can move further in, but remember to be careful and pay attention to your surrounding, I'm sure more traps are hidden, ready to be activated. We are in their territory, they have the advantage since they must know their home very well.

With another look around, Iseult began to move furhter inside once more. If any hint of the goblins's whereabouts was found, such as footprints or noise, she would carefully follow that path, always checking for traps.

–Isadora, Undead Incursion–
Thanny Thanny , HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria , Scrapmaster Scrapmaster

The elf appeared taken aback when Briggs catered to her whim on the battlefront. Suddenly conscious of the eyes upon her, she lowered her head. "We will be prepared," was her response, turning toward Pang and offering the Zouyu a nod. "Thank you for trusting in me. I will not let you down. I promise that I will protect these walls until my final breath."

Internally it wouldn't have surprised Isadora if she was doing this for her people, for her friends and family whom she'd lost in the Great War, though even she was unaware of her subconscious intent.

---------
Later

Isadora unsheathed her scythe and gave it a whirl, falling in line between Pang and potentially Ceres. Her emerald gaze fell to the battlefield in front of them, something ignited within her eyes. There were more forces than she had anticipated, and their numbers felt smaller as a result. And yet, there they were: there was no retreating now. Fear wasn't quite the emotion that wrenched at her chest. No, it was dread. Pain, regret, anguish, anger. A shiver ran down her spine, ebony hair whipping around her in the wind.

"Let's do this." With that the young woman charged, meeting the forces of undead among her fellows in arms and taking an arched swing with her scythe. It knocked several back, though none fell to the blow. She ran three fingers along the blade of the scythe, muttering an incantation as flames began to dance upon the steel. If these creatures were anything like the typical undead that she'd once heard of, they would be prone to fire. Hopefully this rang true here. Her other alternative was necrotic magic, which she reasoned would be a very poor choice on this particular battlefield.

One began to claw at her, leaping onto her back and wrapping a bony arm around her neck. A cry of surprise escaped her lips, as she intentionally threw herself onto the ground. The two rolled in a power struggle, the creature bringing a dagger toward her throat. She caught its wrist with her hand and flames wound their way from her fingertips and around the bone of his sword arm, causing it to crumble on sight. The creature let out a horrid sound, one that no living being should have to witness. She then took this opportunity to kick the skeleton in the chest and roll to a standing position. Whilst doing so, she unsheathed her scythe, bringing its burning blade clean through the skeleton's torso. Head severed from the remains its corpse, the elven woman crushed it with the heel of her boot before parrying a strike from a neighboring abomination.

(1 felled)

–Orion, Grimoire in the Goblin Den–

"My thanks," Orion said casually, accepting the fine blade that Yltriss proffered him. It was not often that he handled sharp objects unless it were utensils at the dinner table or in the lab, so the stiletto felt foreign in his gloved hands. Holding the bells in one hand and gingerly sawing away at the crude rope, Orion unraveled two traps before setting them carefully on the forest floor.

Inside was cool and damp, typical for a cave, though he briefly wondered if they were heading underground. It didn't seem as though they were traveling at a decline, but he couldn't be certain. He crawled on hands and knees after the two women, listening to Iseult's description of the layout as she proffered it. It was a very good thing that they had a dark elf on their side.

The pungent scent of alcohol assaulted his nostrils, and sure enough Iseult announced its presence. He reached into his pocket and grasped the flint that he'd pocketed earlier, striking it on the torch several times before a spark caused it to light aflame. Perhaps starting a fire in the goblins' lair was not a good thing, as it would announce the arrival of an intruder if they were nearby and aware of the light, but he wished to see the scenario with his own eyes. It was precisely as Iseult described it, Orion observed as he walked over to the tray of cheese and examined it.

"They have expensive taste," Orion murmured, sniffing at the cheese before glancing once more around the room. "I don't see anything of interest in here. Iseult, would you still like to take point, or shall I? Now that I have a torch, I won't be wandering blind and useless anymore." Regardless of what Iseult chose, Orion would proceed further into the cave in like, footsteps silent along the clean, smooth floor.

Galla
The necromancer nodded to Pang as he acknowledged her arrival. She listened intently to the situation and thought for some time before leaving to make her preparations.

————
Rather than the forest from before Galla went to the sight of the first battle, specifically the spot where Aphremia was felled. From there she slashed her hand and began to drip blood upon the previously defiled soil. Her companion skull floating quietly behind her. Always watchful. She then sighs. “Im going to be late to the battle again... but it certainly could be worth it.” She then drew several markings into the earth. “Those who fought and fell over and over, heed my call.” She pushed her necromatic energy into the earth. It reached out like tendrils searching for as many corpses as it could and grasping onto them. “Rise and stand as you once did, however, you stand under a new banner. You stand under my banner, and that of Sapnin Villiage.” Her tendrils couldn’t reach all the corpses from old.

Ceres
The paladin was fine with the plan but would remain at the wall as a bulwark. A sheild of faith to those in the village. As the undead moved forth, her shield and armor glowed. Her blade wrapped itself in light. She watched carefully.

Sonya
With her prey now struggling in her wide net Sonya surfaced by increasing her speed, a dagger humming with increased force. She rose behind the hammer wielder aiming to drive the shattering dagger into his spine. She intended to shatter his bones before crushing the other with the dome itself.

- War Front, with Berybrillo -

Within the dome, the hammer wielder was about to throw his arm wide in order to punch open a hole in the earthen wall, but the thrumming dagger aimed at his spine struck true, ending with the man howling in agony before falling to the ground. It was uncertain if he was just unconscious or dead, but he was doubtlessly paralysed from the neck down if he were to survive.

The man with the shortsword turned sharply upon hearing his comrade scream and fall. The sparks flying from a few strands of shrapnel from the knife did not help much in terms of sight, and he needed sight in order to fight an earth mage on equal footing in the dark. Unfortunately, his efforts were for naught as the dome fell on top of him, regardless of his animal companion's efforts. He was squashed by the rock, and with his death the animal disappeared, back to the summoned plane.

Sonya was successful in undermining the two forward scouts, but with the collapse of part of the dome she could probably hear the snaps of bowstrings from afar, as well as the yells of those in combat. Her aid could not come at any better of a time as a thousand feet away battle is escalating in the woods.

-- Meanwhile --

The caravan's horses became skittish as the arrows fluttered in, and the guards defending the caravan either succumbed to their injuries and ducked behind the wagons or whatever cover they could find. What unnerved them even further was the rocket of fire that erupted from Faloan. If the men within one of the more populated bushes weren't terrified already by seeing their arrows swiped away, they would be greatly unnerved to find their bodies set aflame by the dragoness' fire magic. The sounds were horrid, but some managed to survive by properly dousing the fire. They were in no condition to fight for their lives, however.

Several other bushes vacated in order to save themselves from the same fate, and the leader of the bunch, a holder of quite the powerful longbow, nocked another two arrows, this time imbuing green Shatter magic and frosty ice magic to the arrowhead. Lining up a shot with Faloan with such a weapon was not difficult in the hands of a master marksman, and he loosed both arrows in the form of a double shot, twisting the bow diagonal so that the arrows too fired at a diagonal, aimed for Faloan's right side and left leg. Both enhancements -- the Shatter and ice magic -- may make blocking a bit more difficult, but it is still possible.

Ahead, between the two parties, Berybrillo snapped the last arrow in half and pulled it out of her leg. Her recovery skill, one of the two only redeeming qualities she had, was impressive. Anything short of a cut-off limb could be recovered in a matter of seconds, and as long as her head was not cut off or a certain part of her brain stabbed she could survive almost anything. Arrows, while painful, merely left healing pinpricks as soon as she stood angrily up.

"That hurt, you know!" she shouted over the din, removing from her sash the body of a frying pan. "Since you failed, I'll show you how crippling blows are meant to be done, you baddies!"

And with that she charged, catching some of the enemy off guard and without arrows in their bows. Some shot at her, and succeeded to land some hits to her torso, but she carried through and swung at them with a frying pan that had seen more than its fair share of campfires and blood. With some sense of disorder in their ranks, unable to die (barring a few potential circumstances), and with a crazy counterattack of magic from Faloan, it was only a matter of time before the enemy gave up. The best way to demoralise your foe, however, is to defeat the leader.

(( Sonya killed 2. Faloan killed 5. The caravan captain killed 2 with a sling. Berry still has not managed to beat one but has recovered. ))

- Grimoire in the Goblin Den, with Yltriss -

Iseult's scouting and fitting underneath the entryway proved incredibly useful after everyone successfully dismantled the noise traps quietly, and Yltriss breathed a sigh of relief before heading in herself. The pungency of the stink of the goblinated food and drink was abysmal, but if they were to head further into the cave it was not to be a problem, especially with Orion holding the torch.

With Iseult and Orion in the lead, Yltriss remained in the back, keeping her hands tucked inside the folds of her loose robe and her eyes open. Traps were not the goblins' specialty, considering their specialty in simpler thought processes, but ambushes were definitely a possibility, especially considering the tunnel fed further down and started to snake left and right further into the mountainside. As a result, she kept her hands folded between her sleeves. Inside a cavity made of earth, she was at her strongest within these walls.

"A word with you both," she spoke up, trying to be quiet without being heard by prying ears. "I've found some goblin tribes before. They typically are taught by one or two shamans of the ways of their totemic heritage. If the book is here, it is likely either with them or somewhere close because of their interest in magic. They can be tough because of their wild magics, but we have the element of surprise with us. Just be cautious."

Up ahead, Iseult could probably hear the sounds of something shuffling towards the party, muttering some sort of string of obscenities in goblinese regarding his chief and dragging something along the ground. He did not know of the party's existence and did not catch the glow of the torch, but given time he might. Yltriss would learn a few seconds later through her still active scrying, but by then it might be too late. What will Iseult do?

- Undead Incursion, with Pang -

Pang was not one for jumping into situations he thought were too difficult, but he was surprised to see Isadora wait until the end to strike at the enemy. Another volley of arrows pelted the enemy, igniting the undead like tinder, and then the main body of each army was locked in combat.

Pang swung his quarterstaff over his head and charged forward beyond his allies, his aim being a whirlwind of death to his enemies before having to fall back. Unlike those of the living, the undead had already surpassed the threshold of life. With this being the case, he did not have to worry about casualties. They were casualties of another time, and he was just a provider of rest.

"Shangti!" he bellowed mid-strike to one zombie, battering it back enough to block another from swiping at him. "I call upon the Divine Emperor of my people. Bestow your holy power to my staff!"

With his patron being within the vicinity of this universe, his answer was as he requested. Bright light burst forth from a newly forged weapon, the ever-white celestial pole. Whatever undead touched the swinging weapon, no matter how slight, would have to deal with the deterioration of holy powers within an unholy body. He had only a few minutes to wield such power, but in the end his efforts might be rewarded even if he could only use his patron once per visitation. As a result, he did not hold back. Instead he charged the enemy with everything he had.

((Arrows killed 25, forward troops killed 6, Pang killed 7, for a total of 59 undead killed thus far. 41 remaining before the leader shows himself.))

Thanny Thanny HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria

Ah, the sound of screams of pain and desperation. Listening to such a wonderful sound was a joy like no other. Not as if Faloan's face actually reflected that. Oh no, her face was completely calm and collected, looking at the flaming moving figures among the shrubs. She could count, let's see, five of them, some of which fell to the ground, unmoving, while others managed to douse the flames. Such a shame. She could feel the surge of the arcane in the air, and as such, her eyes searched for the source.

"I'm so sorry, I think my fingers slipped" Faloan said with a hint of worry. A fake one, but she was a great liar after all. "be careful, it might happen again."

There it was again, the sound of arrows moving through the air, at first she didn't pay enough attention, that proved to be a mistake on her part as the two arrows pierced her leg and the right side of her stomach. For some strange reason she felt a faint hint of pain coming from one of the arrows, not the one that was releasing some source of ice magic, but the other one. That arrow had been able to pierce her defense, but why? It was uncomfortable more than it was painful, and so she snapped both arrows in half before pulling both of them out of her body. Her eyes quickly moving towards the source of the attack.

"That was a great shot, Marksman. But, sadly, not enough to kill something as powerful as myself," Faloan said cryptically, "allow me to show you how it has to be done."

The Dragoness raised one of her hands in the air while the other moved down, anyone close to her would feel as the air grew colder very quickly just as the strange woman moved both her hands in a circular pattern, making eight shards of ice appear in front of her in circular formation.

"Take this." she said, her voice strangely emotionless.

She then moved both hands forwards as the ice shards went flying towards the direction of the marksman, hopefully piercing his body in the process.

Thanny Thanny Mystics Apprentice Mystics Apprentice

"No, it's alright. I will continue being in the front." Iseult whispered to Orion without looking back, " but thanks for the offer."

To say that the smell in the cave was a little distracting was an understatement, it was distracting, but when faced with a potential threat to your very being, that distraction proved to be the smallest of the Dra'tul's worries. Any trap Iseult managed to find along the way, she made sure to tell the others, making sure that the understood to be careful, before disharming the traps. She knew that goblins were not very strong creatures, but if you were trapped by a whole group? that could prove to be a dangerous situation.

Yltriss's voice made the Dra'tul stop and turn her head to listen to the woman. She suspected that the book could be either with them and their, possible, shaman, or somewhere very close. This made sense. Iseult had heard of some goblins using magic, not many, but some of them. If they had stolen the book then the most obvious conclusion would be that there was a magic user among them. Someone who would find a use for a book about magic. In a moment after Yltriss stopped talking, Iseult would be able to hear the faint sounds of something, or someone, shuffling towards them. She could hear some words, gibberish, to be honest, probably the goblin language. She silently took her bow out and carefully nocked an arrow, making sure to do the slightest sound possible.

"Orion, you must put that torch out. Someone is coming our way, it doesn't seems that they are aware of our presence, yet," Iseult whispered to Orion, "put it out, don't make any sound, once it's close enough, I will be able to shoot at it.

Hopefully Orion would listen to her advice. She waited in silence, waited for the footsteps to get closer and closer, she being able to see better in the dark would prove the be quite an advantage in this situation. The moment she saw the source of the noise she would shoot an arrow in the most obvious place. Their head.

Last edited:
–Orion, Grimoire in the Goblin Den–

"Ah, but I would rather see them than be ambushed in the dark," Orion complained, yet complied when the dark elf commanded that he put out his torch. He snuffed it out, engulfing the trio in darkness once more. Not even the light from the entrance shone this deep within, leaving them in utter blackness. Orion held out a hand in front of his face, and wasn't surprised that he couldn't see it in the slightest.

The scholar slipped closer against the wall silently, his breathing growing soft and shallow so as not to be overheard by the approaching threat. He hoped that Iseult's aim were true. Regardless, he stretched his fingers and readied his fists, in case they would be forced to fight–not that he would be particularly useful in the dark, where he couldn't decipher friend from foe and would be swinging blind.

–Isadora, Undead Incursion–
Thanny Thanny , Scrapmaster Scrapmaster , HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria

By this point the raven-haired elf was surrounded. The motions felt repetitive and mundane. Hack, slash, dodge, parry. The woman sent a well-timed kick into the chest of one creature, while a torrent of flames shot out of her palm at another. Her gaze scanned the battlefield for her comrades, and in the distance she saw the familiar tufts of snow-white fur belonging to their friendly neighborhood Zouyu. She wondered how he was faring, though assumed that it would take quite the onslaught to bring the tiger man down. Apart of her couldn't get the image of him getting on all fours and pouncing on their foes out of her head.

An arrow struck Isadora's shoulder as she let out a cry, mostly out of surprise but also in pain. Blood poured from the wound and streaked her bare shoulder, though there was no way that she could tend to it. She was surrounded, and the only thing that she could continue to do was fight.

(felled 2)

Sonya
The assassin listened carefully for the new sounds before calling back her axe to her, using the very earth to send it her way. She then rushed towards the location of twanging bows, dark energy surround her body as she ran. Her speed doubling once more as she began her hunt. swiftly she would decent upon the battle field, flanking the marksmen with her speed.
*Chase Active

Galla and Ceres

The paladin’s eyes darted to the side as she saw another set of undead approach, the difference being that this one, held the banner of the Sapnin people and was lead by Galla.

“Ravage them oh risen undead!” Galla exclaimed as her undead charged forth. Moving to crash into the enemy force. Galla herself loosed 2 swift fire bolts and her Flying skull loosed onto anither

- War Front, with Berry -

The lead marksman did not show any lick of pride upon having shot the dragoness, believing it more luck than skill that had caused her to be unable to deflect the arrows as she did his companions. Another arrow nocked, and he paused in wait, noticing that she did not fall nearly as hard as that blue-haired girl did. Beneath her clothes, was she armoured? He figured that was the only way. Even if the force of the bow was split between the two arrows, they were enough to take down any normally unarmoured individual. So why not her?

With the change in Faloan's movement, the marksman also shifted his stance. Ice built up around his feet as a wall formed in front of him, but the defense was not strong or thick enough to parry or take the brunt of eight projectiles. The wall cracked and shattered, some of the projectiles piercing through. One shard narrowly missed the main body of his head, tearing into his cheek and ripping the cloth strips wrapped around his head. Behind the unravelling cloth lay the face of a young man around sixteen years old in appearance, his brown hair tinted white in some areas, and his eyes shone green. He had otherworldly properties to him, heralding from the plane of Water.

He breathed heavily, liquidating the main body of the ice shard stuck in his chest, but leaving enough leftover ice to prevent himself from bleeding out. He glared daggers at Faloan but said not a word.

One more stance, and Faloan would find ice crawl up from his feet to hers, sharp prickles turning into icy spires that shot up in her direction. Should she not move, the situation could prove deadly even against dragon scales, but a fine dodge to the side, use of ice magic, or something else might be a strong counter.

Berry had decidedly scared a fair number of other individuals away with her terrifying feat of not getting shot down by arrows and crossbow bolts, no matter the number, and her trusty frying pan which smacked a few into submission. Others were knocked quite unconscious or still trying to get situated.

On the other side, most folks were none the wary of Sonya's advance. They assumed that whatever noise was happening out there in the forest was caused by stray shots, flames, or one of them, but one advanced close to where the noise was. He cried out in surprise and fired a bolt from his crossbow, the arrow lining up to where Sonya's shoulder would be if she kept running without hindrance. If she did not change tactics, she would get a wound where the shoulder blade meets the humerus (top arm bone).

The goblin further down the path was hardly in the know of what was happening ahead of him. He saw a flicker of light in front of him far down the bend, but after a second or two the light was snuffed out. Naturally curious, he decided to look ahead of his baggage and wandered closer until he had an arrow embedded in his skull. He fell instantly and without much sound at all.

Yltriss heard the twang of the weapon and felt the reverberations through the ground. A smile graced her as she said to Iseult, "Nice shot, and good thinking, both. We still carry with us the element of surprise. Perhaps next time I should invest in an oil or kerosene lamp before crawling around these crazy holes in the ground, but you may light the torch again, Orion. I don't sense anyone coming to us within a few hundred feet."

As the group went onward, they came to a split pathway of a four-way intersection, surrounded by stalactites, mould, and a small, chiselled hole far up acting as a very dim skylight. Left and right seemed straight and led to two crude doors. Further straight, down a good ways, was a larger doorway that seemed ominous due to the number of skulls nearby, rotting amidst the same mould that infiltrated the intersection.

"There's a lot of activity up ahead," Yltriss voiced, feeling the earth and scrying, "behind that large door. On the sides there are a good number of goblins, if I am reading this right, but more manageable. What do you guys think? Straight where we can demand for the book or do things the hard way, or to the sides?"

When some people were able to witness the sights of two armies of undead on either side of the group, their sense of hope died down within them, demoralising them and causing a few unnecessary casualties from the distraction. However, when the Sapnin banner was lifted by the skeletal heralds, as well as the appearance of the lead necromancer Galla, spirits rose again. The Aquafolk general felt both sensations and whooped when he witnessed Galla and his home banner, and fought with double the bravery.

Pang raised his head, catching the shift of the battle's tide, but more importantly catching Isadora crying out in pain and battering the crowding undead as best as she was able. In an effort of support, he started to head in her direction after making a colossal whirl in all directions with his quarterstaff, either cutting down his surrounding foes or having them shunt the now holy weapon as best as they were able with their shields.

"Isadora!" he shouted, snarling as the magic sent by his patron began to fade from use even as he was cutting down the enemy. After that he was reduced to merely battering the undead and having to strike weak points that shattered bone or unravelled sinew, but he made his way to her, his intent to protect her back and prevent flanking.

((19 dead to arrows and normal troops, 12 to Galla's troops, 7 to Galla's fire bursts, 6 to Pang, 2 to Isadora, for a total of 59 + 46 = 105 killed thus far, which means it is boss time.))

The surge of additional troops that did not fear death, another hail of arrows which rained down from supporting troops, and the support of all of the others -- all this caused the threatening undead army to rapidly start shrinking. Things started to look very good, but from further down in the army of undead there rang out several loud concussive blasts of heated air, followed by fireballs that soared overhead and smashed into the walls of the fort, one after another in the same location. Some of the archers close to Ceres felt the ground shift from beneath them and lost their footing as the wall gave way, and several relinquished their lives as the orderly stone caved in, leaving an opening that gaped in the wall's face.

The source came from the remains of a man with a despoiled crown, ascended from the typical zombie and now enjoying greatly decayed lichdom. He shambled in with a menace in his one eye and a sneer on his face. Tattered, long hair from a receding hairline was tossed casually out of his sight before rolling back in. The most amazing thing of all of this, though, is his pouting lips and very poorly applied mascara stolen from a fresh corpse on the plains.

"Thinking you are safe on your wall? Pointless. Utterly useless. Useless useless useless useless! So say I, Mio Mirando." He turned his eye toward the mages existing on the ground. "And I will teach these fire-slinging youths what it takes to be top mage here."

Swirling with arcane energies, the air gathered a withering heat before being lobbed in the direction of all of the Haveners besides Ceres. The man was not only a necromancer. He was an aeromancer (air) and a pyromancer (fire) too.

Ceres
The Paladin quickly focused and formed several very small barriers around the archer that fell. Locking each within small bubbles of light. As she lowered them down she turned back to the newcomer and Leapt from the top of the wall. Landing on a barrier platform. She would then rush forwards. This was the quarry such enemies needed to be restricted.

Galla
The necromancer watched her army and the opposing army tear themselves to shreds. It was nothing new to her, sicking undeads upon other undeads, what surprised her however was the sight of a fresh lich. One right after another... she frowned and took her stance, summoning a flesh giant and a undead ronin. Both charging the lich known as Mio Mirando

Sonya
The assassin held up her axe using the flat edge as a makeshift Shield during her charge. She seemed confident in her skills, almost reactionary. As if she wanted to minimize damage, not mitigate.

Thanny Thanny HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria

Ah, she could detect the metallic smell of blood in the air, it made her feel excited. Such was the thrill of battle. Not that any of those who had attacked were worthy of being witness of her might. She had hit her target, maybe not mortally wounded, but injured.

"Careful, child, the more you fight, the more painful it will be," Faloan said as she looked directly towards the markman, her eyes glowing with a faintly golden glow in the darkness, "Surrender now, and, maybe, you will be spared."

The Dragoness did not waited for a response, instead, she ran towards the markman. He looked so young now that she could see his face. Brown and white hair, green eyes, somewhat handsome one could say. As if he didn't belonged in this particular world. Faloan saw ice moving towards her, sharp prickles at first, only for them to turn into icy spires coming at her. If the young man payed attention, he would see the mouth of the strange woman wide open, it would have been a strange sight if not for the slowly growing sphere of fire in front of her mouth.

"I hope you can survive this."

She said just as the sphere of fire went flying forwards, probably melting the ice coming at her and, if getting hit, the man would have a hard time staying alive.

"Don't worry. As Yltriss said, you can light the torch once I've taken care of the target," Iseult whispered.

Those next few seconds felt like an eternity. Iseult could feel her heart beating, even the minimal sounds around the cave could be heard by her ear. It was as if her senses were heightened thanks to the adrenaline of the moment. The footsteps were quickly approaching. One, two, three, four . . . five! The moment she saw the figure of the goblin, she shoot her arrow straight into the creature's head, managing to take it out in one single shot. And without much of a noise!

"It is done. The goblin as been dealt with," she said after taking a deep breath, "As you said, Yltriss, we still have the element of surprise, let us keep it that way for all the time we can afford. Come, let us continue."

The Dra'tul blinked when the light of the torch returned, but, nevertheless, she continued moving forwards, making sure to disharm any trap along the way. After a few more minutes, the group reached a split pathway, a four-way intersection. Two crude doors at each side, and further straight a larger doorway with skulls nearby. That was probably where the leader should be.

"My suggestion would be to take care of the goblins on both sides before we go to the middle," Iseult whipered, "if we go straight there is the possibility that, if we cause a ruckus, whoever is on both rooms to the sides will rush to the middle room and we would be surrounded. We could also split up. Two take care of one side, the other takes care of the other. How many are on each room, if I might ask."

{The Harrowed – Jarod: The War Front}
The attackers seemed to ignore Jarod in their attack, though not quite to his surprise. He had that effect on people. Just a harmless part of the background, that was him. Well, not really. But it was a useful reaction. A trio of bandits advanced on the caravan, passing Jarod. His can dipped out to trip up one of the bandits. The Blind Swordsman drew his sword hidden in the cane, slashing at the 3 bandit as the sheath in his left hand scythed into the second.

- The War Front, with Berry - 1 Faloan, 2 Jerod, 3 Sonya, 4 Berry
HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria Elrandir Elrandir RikuXIII RikuXIII

(1) The young leader of this band of rogues had his eyes narrow as the ball of fire grew before him, redoubling his efforts of reinforcing his projection of ice as a frosty wall appeared to rise from before him. Fire, a natural antipode of ice's lack of heat, was more than enough of a danger toward both him and his element of choice, but at this range, and with such a concentration of heat he could feel even at this range . . .

For the young bandit, there was no other choice but to flee his outpost behind the wall. Faloan's fireball fought ferociously against his assault of ice, melting all but the thickest of it into puddling water that soon began to steam. His wall served only as a visual obstacle, being eradicated by the fireball and collapsing into itself before just melting away. The youth himself was caught partially in the blast and fell to the ground grunting in pain, his right side and arm greatly burned. Water called to his aid and smothered his tormented skin, but the damage was done, and he just lay there half-ready to get up like a wounded animal, staring, panting. The reason he did not speak was because he had not a tongue to speak. His bow still remained in his left hand, but with him leaning on it the bow merely would act as an improvised weapon rather than anything really dangerous.

(2) Jerod's ensnaring actions worked well as the outreaching cane snagged the bandit's leg. The man tripped and fell, but the others were not quite as lucky as their guard was equally as down and they were within range of the sword once compartmentised within the cane. One quickly had the light leave his eyes by receiving a solid strike to the stomach. The other barely could react to block the blow of the sheath with his half-closed offhand, receiving a blow that shattered quite a few finger bones. He yowled in agony, his mind too blinded by pain to defend himself if Jarod decided to continue the assault. The one tripped struggled to pull a knife free from a hidden sheathe on his wrist, having his sword tossed away from a lousy fall. Should he not get clobbered during the three seconds it would take to arm himself, he would attempt to stab Jerod in the back with an unprofessional icepick grip raised high.

(3) The battle was quickly becoming over. Surviving bandits retreated into the forest, leaving their fallen and gravely wounded. Some on the outskirts did not know much about what was happening, even with the retreat sounded. The one fighting Sonya was one such individual. His fellows retreated, but he remained fearful and ready to take on the battle-axe-wielding individual before him. Tossing his crossbow to the ground, he readied a long, reinforced needle-shaped sword on a hilt to swing horizontally at Sonya, taking a number of fast steps toward her to reduce the distance and, to his hope, close in on the deadly double-headed axe's blades while landing a strike of his own.

(4) Berry, on the other side of the battlefield, allowed the remainder of the bandits to run off, feeling very much accomplished even if she had fifteen arrows lodged in her and looked very much like a porcupine or hedgehog. She smiled as she approached the caravan, but the others did not seem so happy. The caravan leaders looked over to her with a grunt of annoyance, then over to Faloan as he approached her.

(1) "This seems like their leader. What do you reckon to do with him?" said the lead guard in charge of the caravan.
"Boil him in oil, I say," said another, one of the stockier gnome drivers.
"String him up and stick him with his own arrows, maybe," voiced a third, a young halfling girl of fifteen jaded by these trying times.
"Let's leave it to our Haven guests here to decide," added the lead guard with a hint of finality that none questioned. Taking Faloan as the senior officer, he expressed this to her. "What do you choose?"

HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria Mystics Apprentice Mystics Apprentice

From the walls, the archers who would have been buried under a lot of stone were saved thanks to the quick thinking of Ceres. It would take a while, but they would exhume themselves eventually.

Mio Mirando looked smugly at the fledgling fire mages shifted their eyes towards him. His wave of air undeterred, he heated up the area considerably, hoping to dry out the opposition and make them more susceptible to heat exhaustion or being set aflame. Two special undead seemed to charge for him, too. Perfect.

What he lacked in mobility he made up for with firepower in spades. A column of flame spiralled in widening circles, aiming for the flesh giant's upper torso. If hitting, it would cause significant burning to its core, potentially separating the head from its limbs. The ronin he rose a wall of fire against, then pushed it outward, allowing it to consume even his own undead soldiers from behind as it rushed toward not only the ronin but the opposing army as well. Should Galla or Isadora not stop this, considerable losses could occur.

Pang, still alongside Isadora, spoke to her with his normally white fist glowing a fantastic green.

"This'll up your magic, Isadora!" he shouted over the din of fire, opening his palm and placing it on her shoulder when safe to do so. Her magic would be doubled for a short while ((two posts)). "Save our men if you can! I cannot."

Mystics Apprentice Mystics Apprentice Elrandir Elrandir

Yltriss wasted no time in continuing the conversation, voicing to Iseult, "A wise choice. There are four in each room. Wait, no . . . there's a fifth in the right room, lying on the ground in the corner. I hear crying. Someone more human is in trouble. You two take that room. I'll handle the far one. Blow the door open with whatever you can and save them!"

With that, Yltriss backed off before rushing toward the left hallway, gathering up strength to move the earth on both sides of the door to snag it and immobilise it. The enemy could hear the earth rise inside and outside the room, but unless they had tools they could do nothing about it. If there were no other exit, which Yltriss believed they did not, they were effectively trapped. Finding herself satisfied for now, Yltriss turned heel and attempted to run to help the others. With or without the torch, she would find her way.

Down the right hallway, Orion and Iseult would find the door barely hanging on by a crude hinge and unlocked, easy enough to break off or even pull open. Inside there were four goblins standing around a pot, all unarmed and probably very surprised by whatever they decide to do. A woman strapped to the ground in rotting rope binding her hands and heels would whimper for help, attempting to slide away from the door.

Galla- Master Necromancer
Galla winced as her flesh golem was thouroughl immolated. Her Ronin dashed diagonally away from the wave but soon found himself felled as well with a wall continually flooding the field. Galla’s eyes flickered red for a moment before her master’s skeleton reformed from the skull. Galla then slammed both her hands onto the ground. “Rise bane of slithering flame. Rise lord of serpents long dead. Crawl out from the shadows of your grave and feast upon the bones of the dead.” She chanted

in response agiant skeletal centipede broke through the surface of the earth and crawled towards the rushing wall of flame. As it did its bones turned red as it made itself resistant to flame. It would guard the main party.

Meanwhile the skeletal master rose upwards and began chanting in an ancient language. A language from Galla’s world. The essence of death was drawn into it as it chanted.

Ceres- Sheild of Light
The paladin continued to rush across the barrier platforms. Soon running overtop the battlefield and wall of flame. She only stopped when she stood overtop Mio. “Face the light you horrid being of death!” She exclaimed as she lept from the platform. Her blade glowed with positive magic as she did. She aimed to plunge the weapon of light him.

Sonya- Forgetful Shadow
Sonya moved to guard but was a bit late to the draw and took a wide slash across her torso. Her blood began to run red. However something was clearly wrong as black smoke seeped from that fresh cut. She took a spare moment to recover from the slash. Before swinging downward with her own axe at his sword arm.

HeartOfFerria HeartOfFerria Thanny Thanny RikuXIII RikuXIII

Faloan's excitement slowly faded away, her demeanor going back to the formal and calm woman from before. From below her dress came out a large and long appendage, green in color, with thick scales, perhaps coming as a complete surprise for the members of the caravan. The tail coming from below the woman's dress would slowly move towards the wounded marksman, wrapping around his neck, but not choking him, and lifting him into the air.

"Can you hear that, child? They wish to take your life. And how could they not, when you and your group of troublemakers tried to steal from them, and hurt them, of course," Faloan said as she got closer to the young man, "but before I can choose what to do with you, I need information. Uour name and place of origin, the reason as to why you tried to steal from the caravan. What would drive you and your group of thieves to try and take something that does not belong to you, and could potentially help those in the front lines."

The Dragoness waited for the man's response, but when nothing came, her tail moved the young man closer to her. She noticed something interesting, the man did not speak, not for the lack of wanting, but because he lacked a tongue, and so speaking was impossible. She tried something as she stared at the marksman's eyes, yet when nothing happened, she let out a sigh. In her mind's eye she called to the ancient powers of her world, to one being in particular.

"I, Faloan Apateon, Soul of the Desert Jewel, Daughter of Istalri of Arcadia, proud daughter of the line of Schala Gein, Queen above the Blue Sky, call upon you, Kiriel, Lord of Knowledge, to bestow upon me a spark of your infinite wisdom."

Faloan whispered those words to no one in particular, just as a gently breeze blew, her eyes glowed with a golden light. She kept her gaze on the young man's face and finally, without actually moving her mouth, she began to speak.

"I apologize, I was not aware of your situation. But that should be a problem now, does it," Faloan said directly into the marksman's mind, "Now, if you could be nice enough to answer my questions. Why were you trying to steal from this caravan? Why did you had to attack them, if they were trying to deliver medical supplies to the front lines?"

Iseult nodded in understanding at what Yltriss had said. She waved her hand at Orion to follow her, that would be easy if he lighted the torch once more. If not, then she would hold his hand and pull him over in the direction of the door.

"We must be fast. Whatever they are doing, it will cost a person's life if we are not quick enough," Iseult whispered, "Be ready. At the count of three, we attack."

Iseult slowly walked in front of the door and took a deep breath before taking two daggers from her belt.

"One . . . two . . ." with one last deep breath she prepared herself to kick the door open, "three!"

In one quick movement Iseult kicked the door, probably kicking it out of its hinges, or whatever was holding it, and ran inside. She quickly scanned the room. Four goblins, a woman strapped to the ground, a pot. Were they planning on . . . eating her? Could that be what Faloan was talking about? Or something worse. . .? way worse? The Dark Elf targeted the two goblins closer to her, and she threw both daggers in their direction, hopefully getting hit in their heads for a quick kill.

"Quick, Orion. We must take care of all of them and save that poor woman," Iseult said as she focused on what was going to happen next.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back