• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hallowed Realm: Monster Academy Lore

WorldWeaver

Dreamer of the Impossible
Lore page for Hallowed Realm. Here we will archive the history of the Hallowed Realm, it's cultures, nations and factions, and smaller world details.

The Celestials
As Told By Headmaster Wyzen

The Olympians of Ancient Greece.
The Tuatha de Danann.
The Aesir of Asgard.
The Gods of the Nile.
The Kami.

These entities and others were worships as gods back in the days of old by humans looking for an explanation for natural phenomena. But in the Hallowed Realm, they are very much real, though they go by a single collective epithet while divided into their own groups: The Celestials.

Celestials are the most mysterious, and most powerful type of creature to exist in the Hallowed Realm. They do not live on the ground, or in the sea, but rather take domain beyond the skies, in various pocket realms dotting the heavens. You might have picked up the hint in the Harpy entry, but in case you didn't these enigmas rule supreme over the Hallowed realm as veritable gods. However, their power is not infinite, nor is their life inextinguishable. There have been records of Celestials being slain by a greater or equal force. Celestials take the personas of various deific pantheons, such as the Norse Gods of Asgard, the Greek Gods of Olympus, the countless Kami of the east, and so on. They reside in their pocket realms, staying isolated from the other species of the Hallowed Realm unless they deem something happening there worth their attention.

Many times, the Celestials have warred with each other for supremacy over certain aspects, often dragging their followers into their conflicts and causing massive wars. However, there was one thing, back in a time long before the modern Hallowed Realm, that could unite such a divisive species...and that was Typhon.

Typhon, who leveled mountains with but a flick of his wrist; Typhon, who poisoned the skies with every accursed breath; Typhon, the living apocalypse. The then king of monsterkind ruled the Hallowed Realm with an iron fist, crushing those who were foolish enough to challenge him, and all but enslaving the populace. Each Celestial group waged war independently against Typhon and died in droves. After five centuries, the Celestials finally decided to put their differences aside and formed an alliance. The Remaining Celestials sounded the war cry and charged. It was a battle unlike any other, gods vs godslayer as one scribe would put it. The ground shook and the sky swirled angrily. So much celestial blood was spilled in the world, it flowed into the Border, its essence remaining long after that blood dried. It is today known as Mystra, and powers all magic in the Hallowed Realm.

At long last, the Celestials overwhelmed Typhon and captured him. However, try as they might, they could not kill him. He was now a permanent part of the Hallowed Realm, it's beating heart. And so, they sealed him deep underground, forever toiling to hold the world together in chains. With Typhon now dealt with, the Celestials fell back into their old ways of isolationism, and squabbling with other pantheons. However, a prophecy forewarns the return of Typhon... and should it come to pass, the Celestials may have to once more stand together, or be destroyed.

There are two types of Celestials: higher and lower. Higher Celestials resemble the deities of various pantheons and have an almost divine amount of power compared to the typical monster of the Hallowed Realm. Lower Celestials on the other hand, resemble the servants of those deities, or as the lower-ranking spirits related to them (Angels, for example, would fit this category)

Last edited:
Vampire Clans of the Hallowed Realm
as told by Lord Dobroslav Wallachi

Vampires. The word is enough to provoke images of blood-sucking creatures of the dark that stalked the shadows of a world that knew to fear them. Of course, when your neighbors are human, any monster can become a force to be feared and reckoned with. But with other monsters, the power dynamic is more even. Humans are superstitious fools. However, there is an iota of truth to their words. And even the Monsters of the Hallowed Realm know to tread cautiously when dealing with us.

Vampires are humanoids with longer, sharper canines, which we use to drink the blood of those we bite. That much is true. However, we can also sustain ourselves on regular food. I myself prefer a nice red wine, roast chicken or beef, and a fine stew made from collard greens and exotic spices. There's another thing that drinking blood does that makes it an easy temptation and addiction for vampires: power. A vampire's power grows the more he feasts on the blood of his foes. They become stronger, faster, tougher, and can use this blood to heal wounds quickly or amplify their magical abilities. On their own, vampires are powerful. Engorged, they are a terror to face to all but the bravest or strongest. But, of course, we are far from invincible. We can be killed by various means. A Hawthorne stake through the heart paralyzes us, decapitation can see us perish permanently, while most other "fatal" injuries put us into a comatose state. And our blood reserves can run dry if overused, leaving us starved and weakened. Such are the costs of the immense power and respect we command, I suppose.

There are many differing clans of Vampires across the Hallowed Realm. I belong to the Wallachi Clan's main branch, who specialize in shapeshifting. We blend into society quite well, and even have large social circles with connections. You'd be surprised how easy it is to find fresh blood with the right contacts. There's also the Dracules, who weild special blood magics fueled by their blood reserves to raise thralls, transmute weapons, even create some semblance of life. The Nosferati are masters of mind control and illusion magics. You get the idea.

For the most part, these clans reside in the Twilight Continent of the Hallowed Realm, each clan running their own estates and lordships. I myself have considered sending my son Matthias to Citadel Academy, to further his education, and to cultivate relations with our family there. Alas, the boy is still too hot-headed to be let out of his castle. But I feel soon, he will be ready to sail to the academy. I believe it's time to remind those who scoff at us why the name Vampire is so feared in both realms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back