• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings The Hakkenden (2 Caretaker Slots Left - No Traps/Shota/Femme Boys)

(Oops... I hope this isn't too late...)

So I've been making progress on my character sheet, and I was wondering whether a faceclaim was a requirement. I noticed everyone else's profile includes one, but I'm a bit stumped as to where and how to obtain what I need (preferably in a legal manner). If this is, indeed, a requirement, then suggestions would be most appreciated. :xFsmile:

(Oops... I hope this isn't too late...)

So I've been making progress on my character sheet, and I was wondering whether a faceclaim was a requirement. I noticed everyone else's profile includes one, but I'm a bit stumped as to where and how to obtain what I need (preferably in a legal manner). If this is, indeed, a requirement, then suggestions would be most appreciated. :xFsmile:
Well I don’t know about everyone else but I drew my own face claim. However you could just search up anime pictures and credit the artist? So it wouldn’t be considered you stealing or making it seem as it is yours!

Vulpes Vulpes Iagopus yoooo

The Black Knight The Black Knight

I have no idea if you're still accepting, but if you are I'd love to play your last doggo.

EDIT: CS removed and submitted in the character thread

Last edited:
Senchi Kōgekinu

Alias: Yoru no Arashi ("Storm of the Night"). During the Sengoku period, Senchi served his lords by putting his wisdom to use in the coordination of battles. He was famed for his clever tactics, often favoring diversions, ambushes, and covert attacks under cover of darkness, earning him this nickname along with a certain degree of infamy.
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 144 lbs
Hair Color: Dark brown
Eye Color: Yellow
Dog Breed: Border Collie
Spirit Bead: Chi/ Wisdom

General Appearance: Despite biologically being the oldest of the Hakkenshi, Senchi possesses a fairly youthful appearance, belying his devilishly shrewd mind, vast pool of knowledge, and a body honed to its upper limits in strength and agility... an illusion he isn't above using to his advantage. Even so, his intense, animalistic yellow-eyed stare, stately bearing, cutting witticisms and impeccable dress afford him a commanding presence, or so he'd like to believe. When not in a standard school uniform or his workout clothes, he will generally be wearing a black tee shirt, dark colored jeans, and a flannel and/or cardigan, depending on the weather. Minimalism, quality and smartness are his primary concerns. Although, rumor has it he was once seen wearing sweatpants while sick with the flu... As for his hair, he prefers to cultivate an "artfully messy" look- whether this be so as not to seem too pretentious, or because his hair happens to be naturally thick and unruly, is anyone's guess. (Personally, I think it's a bit of both.)

Personality: In a word, intriguing... or so he'd like to believe. As the Chi Hakkenshi, he is naturally very wise, but wisdom on its own does not necessarily entail selflessness, humility, or even morality. Not to say that he is amoral, but all of his judgements tend to stem from his core trait. The way he sees it, his gift lies in knowing how to live a good life in service to his goals while avoiding unnecessary risks, and in teaching others to do the same. He exists to help his lord or lady get what they want, and if he can accomplish something of his own along the way, leaving his individual mark on the world, so much the better. There is a point at which he will draw the line, but generally speaking, as long as he is given the opportunity to exercise his talents in pursuit of some suitably grand cause, he is content. Though he is usually polite and as loyal to his caretaker as any Hakkenshi, his genuine respect is a gift bestowed only to those who return the favor, and establishing a bond of trust and friendship will take time and effort. In spite of his love for attention, socialization and people management, he tends to approach relationships with a hefty dose of caution. Once someone has broken through his defenses and earned his affection, however, there is next to nothing he won't do for them. As for the rest of the world beyond his intimate circle, he is happy to leave them to their own devices.

If he were to have a primary flaw, it would be that his superior understanding of the world around him lends itself to aloofness, egotism, and even a certain amount of contempt for those around him, given that few are able to reason on his level. Does this lead to loneliness, as well? Perhaps, though good luck getting him to admit it. He can also be prone to ruthlessness and what some might consider cowardice, given his tendency to prioritize pure logic over honor unless reigned in. He is never rash, but caution is a double-edged sword. Sometimes his determination to take the best possible course of action causes him to stagnate where he might have been better off diving in headfirst and leaving the rest to chance. In addition, those caretakers who leave him alone for too long or fail to provide him with enough stimulation are likely to get a taste of his mischievous side. Hiding his lord's belongings in increasingly obscure places is a favorite pastime.

Likes: Classic literature, board games, strategy games, ancient war treatises, poetry, exercise, routine, efficiency, intellectual debates, straightforward communication, chicken... and fetch (not that he'd ever admit it)
Dislikes: Stupidity, ignorance, wastefulness, beating around the bush, small talk, loud music, harsh smells, disruption to routine, being ignored, boredom, cats

Primary Weapon: A kusarigama (chain with a weight at one end and a kama at the other) made of a bright silver colored metal

oPyiHwz.png

Secondary Weapon: Yoroi doshi (a long knife capable of piercing armor)
Special Ability: When swung at a sufficient speed, the weighted end of the kusarigama unleashes a trail of lighting, serving both to potentially blind and disorient an opponent, creating an opening for a strike, and to increase the damage dealt by said strike.
Extra: In human form he carries around a pen so that he can chew on the plastic cap while he thinks... or whenever he gets bored.

e6fEcSf.png

Last edited:
Huh... I didn't mean for those last two images to lay like that but I guess it looks fine. Whew! That profile certainly took me long enough, what with all the interruptions. I hope it's not too late... 😅

Monday Monday He's approved.

Everyone else browsing the thread: I finally updated the character rosters for the OP and the Character Thread to reflect the current status of the game.

The Black Knight The Black Knight my bad

e91a211e8269bac88b54556c4550f19b.jpg
Hakkenshi name: Kogeinu
Alias: Shigure Manosuke (Is fine with Mano, but hates "Shiggy")
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 220 pounds
Hair Color:
Black
Eye Color: Grey
Dog Breed: Tibetan Mastiff
Spirit Bead: Tei (brotherhood)

General Appearance: Mano is tall and imposing. His body is well built but not excessively muscular since he's a teenager in his current form. he dresses adequately, but not well. His fashion usually consists of a plain black top and jeans in modern Japan, but he preferred a Yukata in the Sengoku period. He doesn't cover up scars before they fully heal and sometimes has disheveled hair. His hygeine is just passable, and he usually walks around with a 5 o'clock shadow. His voice is somewhere between bass and baritone and is a bit hoarse from all the shouting he does when he practices kendo.

Personality: "Refuge in ignorance" was Manosuke's motto during the Sengoku Jidai. A compulsive gambler, Mano believes in throwing his lot in with people, with causes, and with adventures to see where they come. Much of this comes from his youth, where he routinely challenged the best kenjutsu practitioners in Japan to duels in hopes of learning something and becoming their apprentices. He is trusting until proven otherwise, funny, and extremely outgoing. With an iron liver, he is a lover of sake and drinking contests.

Manosuke's most endearing trait is his willingness to endure hardships for people who are close to him, and even who he does not so well. This is motivated not only by a feeling of companionship with them, but by his eager willingness to take on challenges. Due to his size and his skill in Jujutsu, Mano was usually sent into battle at the very front of armies during the Sengoku Jidai, so this is the place he feels the most comfortable.

Manosuke's morality is an offshoot of the rest of his personality. He is willing to do the extreme, even kill people simply because he met someone once and wants to do them a favor. Mano does not believe in being a bystander, and always gets involved in fights and disputes. The faction he sides with is always the side he knows better.

Background: Mano's exact date of inception from bead form to human is unknown, but he first appeared in the records of the Sengoku Jidai in the mid 16th century, under the tutelage of Yagyu Sekishusai, a famous proponent of Japanese grappling while it was being consolidated into Jujutsu (the parent sport of Judo, Aikido, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). This seemed to have a serious impact on Mano's fighting style. Relying on his size, weight, and understanding of Jujutsu instead of the quickness of his blade, Mano fought with human and yokai alike by rapidly closing the distance, locking blades (or arms), then ending the fight with a throw and stabs with his Wakizashi.
070102274220177944.jpg

Manosuke was not well liked by the other Hakkenden, because his natural congeniality and eagerness to network side-tracked him from his mission. By the end of the Sengoku period, Mano's social circle included warriors Ito Ittosai, and Shinmen Takezo (better known as Miyamoto Musashi), as well as daimyo Sanada Yukimura. One particular incident in 1615 outraged his colleagues - on Yukimura's behalf, Manosuke fought on the losing side of the Siege of Osaka (where Yukimura was in command). For his participation, the Tokugawa Shogunate declared him a fugitive. Because of his attachment to his earthly companions, Mano opposed the Hakkenden's consensus to return to bead form after the end of the Sengoku Jidai. He was forced to do so by Yagyu Munenori, the skilled and ambitious 5th son of Sekishusai. Having always resented Manosuke's presence in his father's house, and wanting to ingratiate himself to the Tokugawa (who had tried and failed to kill Manosuke several times), Munenori challenged Manosuke to a duel, on the condition that Mano would go along with the other Hakkenden if he lost. Munenori managed to win owing to his unparalleled skill in the era. Shocked at this achievement, Tokugawa Ieyasu named Yagyu Munenori his personal sword instructor.

Likes: People he knows, sushi (a luxury back in the day), sake, kendo, green tea, Australian football, modern Judo, BJJ, and Aikido, and the Witcher.
Dislikes: The subway, excessive obsequiousness (back in the day and in the modern Japanese work environment), people he doesn't know, the law, guns (it's cheating!), the Democratic Party of Japan, and Sengoku Basara.

Primary Weapon: Katana! Anything else diminishes the warrior spirit!
Secondary Weapon: Wakizashi, which usually ends up being far more important. Most of Manosuke's kills came from grappling his enemies to the ground then stabbing them.
Special Ability: Sakanagare - Mano's Wakizashi can be electrified, costing a large amount of stamina. The shock is high voltage but lasts for only a few seconds, making it necessary to impact first. It has no range besides what is in contact with the blade.

Last edited:
Alright, so please forgive me if I sound like an idiot (because I most definitely am), but I was wondering if I could try for Shin or Tei? Whichever is open, haha. This seems like a really interesting roleplay, so I'd definitely be up and try to join.​

zoOxnPM.png

3d43de716ad389d9f452108ac3f76491.jpg
Hakkenshi name
Inushin.

Alias
Though mostly known as a background figure in the Sengoku era, Inushin was known by some as Shoganai, which means 'it can not be helped', a phrase which alluded to the faith in the Hakkenshi which couldn't be overlooked.

Height
5'6.

Weight
118 pounds.

Hair Color
Inushin's hair is a light strawberry blonde.

Eye Color
Inushin's eyes are a periwinkle color.

Dog Breed
Finnish Spitz.

hund.jpg

Spirit Bead
Shin (faith.) Her Spirit Bead is appointed to her due to her often unyielding trust in others' abilities.

General Appearance
Inushin is a petite girl with ivory skin, which is clear besides a spattering of freckles spread across the bridge of her nose and her cheeks. Her hair usually appears lightly messy due to its slight curl but is still immaculate in its styling which is a half ponytail tied together by an indigo bow detailed with light yellow stripes. Her modern style retains a majority of its traits from the Sengoku era, being a light brown cloak with two crosshatched designs emblazoned on each side in black lace, tied together by a white scarf styled into a bow. Her dress is white at the top with long sleeves that are puffed out near the end of her arms, with an indigo tiered ruffle on her waist and gold buttons, along with a black skirt with a variety of gold stripes arranged in a hatched pattern near the top and horizontal near the midsection and bottom. Her lower attire consists of sheer black leggings and light brown heeled boots. The only notable difference from her Sengoku attire is the length of the skirt, which went from being down to her ankles to being above her thighs, and a lack of gold emblems on her dress (pictured above).

Personality
Inushin is kind and gentle with those she meets, always approaching situations with a certain air of peace about her. She tries her best not to get angry, and when she happens upon and angered moment, she profusely apologizes once she calms down. Though uneasy to anger, Inushin is quite fragile and saddened easily, yet when she is sad, she tries to not hinder people with her issues and keeps her demeanor of calm and kind, oftentimes showing no signs of distress. Though people often take Insuhin's kindes for weakness, she is a formidable force, not afraid in the slightest to stand her ground and assert her opinion. She finds no issue in reprimanding those who show her disrespect, and though not coming off strongly, she knows how to intimidate people into showing her an adequate amount of esteem, and she has no problem doing it on the side of other people. Inushin, though not being shy, prefers her independence highly to forming relationships. She fancies herself to be honest and moral, though there is some deception to this statement as if she had to choose others over herself, she can be selfish— extremely selfish, in fact. Due to her unyielding faith in herself and others, she comes to the conclusion everyone can fend for themselves, and she should only be concerned about her own well-being, much to other's chagrin. But, there is some truth to her honesty. Unless it's a life or death situation, Inushin will always tell the truth, and that is something she prides herself on. Though she can sometimes be arrogant, it is rare, and Inushin is usually regarded as fairly humble in her own regards. Inushin is also very positive, preferring to see the best in a bad situation or bad people. This, however, sometimes leads to her being easily manipulated, another one of her more negative traits being her naivety. Overall, Inushin, despite being kind, gentle, and fairly positive on the outside, can still be seen for her negative traits, which oftentimes take the forefront. Though fundamentally flawed, Inushin is a sound individual who tries her choicest.

• Being left to deal with situations on her own.​
  • Honesty.​
  • Leisure.​
  • Nature.​
  • Quiet spaces.​
  • Tea.​
  • Cold weather.​
Dislikes
  • Being underestimated.
  • Sudden loud noises.
  • Disrespect.
  • People who believe they're better than everyone else.
  • Coffee.
  • Strangers.
  • Being shown affection.
  • Being in pain (and others being in pain).
Backstory
TBA.

Primary Weapon
Inushin carries around hook-swords. As the name implied, they are like swords, but with two long hooks attached to them. Though difficult to maneuver, Inushin has mastered her weapon to a point of deadliness.

Secondary Weapon
Inushin, though less often then her hook-swords, tends to carry a zhua with her. The zhua is a rope with a metal appendage attached to it shaped like a hand, meant to rip and tear. Inushin dislikes using this weapon and only turns to it if the situation is dire, as it causes extreme pain and agony in its wake.

Special Ability
Keijō — Though it uses up a major amount of extra stamina (that oftentimes Inushin can't spare), Inushin can bend the metal of her hook-swords into a much more deadly or pain-reliant shape, such as sharp hooks that can easily prod the organs out of an opponent. If she is more suited to a defensive position, however, she can meld them into shields. The shape, really, depends on exactly what she needs at the prevailing moment. The more complex the bend, however, the shorter the amount of time she can hold the form of the hook-swords up.

Extra
Battle Theme

Inspiration for Ability

Users who are viewing this thread

Back