• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Guildstone Chronicles ((OOC))

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Heyo, just wondering if people are struggling to respond to the sacred isles quest? I can do an extra post to clear things up if people are stuck.
I hope to do a post today or tomorrow. I'm in the middle of finishing up my thesis so have been rather busy with that and I caught the flu so I've been under the weather the past few days. I feel better now though and my thesis is on schedule so I'll be able to respond soon!

Heyo, just wondering if people are struggling to respond to the sacred isles quest? I can do an extra post to clear things up if people are stuck.
Don't worry your post was clear enough, I've been busy studying for some midterms and completing some other assignments that have kept me busy. I should be able to have a response up within the next day or so though.

I hope to do a post today or tomorrow. I'm in the middle of finishing up my thesis so have been rather busy with that and I caught the flu so I've been under the weather the past few days. I feel better now though and my thesis is on schedule so I'll be able to respond soon!
Don't worry your post was clear enough, I've been busy studying for some midterms and completing some other assignments that have kept me busy. I should be able to have a response up within the next day or so though.
Ah, all good! I see I am not the only one struggling with resumed studies. It's not an issue for me if things slow down over the semester since I'll be pretty busy myself, but I'll do my best to keep up with the pace of the RP.

Hope you're feeling better Key of Stars Key of Stars :sick:

Ivan Dark Ivan Dark
So as I understand, Brennan and Andrius are approaching the scouting outpost from the direction of the ruin? I'm assuming the horde you mentioned is the one that recently attacked the fort, so Ruma and Tyron should be fine to meet them halfway.

Also I double checked and it's not stated outright on Muunbane Muunbane 's character sheet, but Ruma is not currently part of the guild. He accepted the quest from a different location, so Tyron is the only one who Andrius and Brennan would know about. No way you could've known of course, just wanted to clarify since it was organised off screen.

Sylph Sylph
I wrote it a bit loosely so we could make these kinds of assumptions :D I thought it would be better to be flexible.
So as I understand, Brennan and Andrius are approaching the scouting outpost from the direction of the ruin? I'm assuming the horde you mentioned is the one that recently attacked the fort, so Ruma and Tyron should be fine to meet them halfway.
That would certainly be the case! Perhaps the undead they are following will be part of another separate horde that slowly gathers members before joining the main one? Or maybe its the remnants of the main horde that got scattered after the defense of the scoutpost? Either way, I'm happy with having Brennan and Andrius meeting Tyron and Ruma somewhere along the way - may be more convenient since Ruma talked about wood in the ruins so they would be on their way there.
Also I double checked and it's not stated outright on Muunbane Muunbane Muunbane Muunbane 's character sheet, but Ruma is not currently part of the guild. He accepted the quest from a different location, so Tyron is the only one who Andrius and Brennan would know about. No way you could've known of course, just wanted to clarify since it was organised off screen
I see. But yup, understood! I saw Ruma's form, but thank you for clarifying. Definitely excited for Tyron's out-of-combat interactions with those two!

I'll just wait for my proper cue to introduce my character. I'll be on standby on the meantime.

Sylph Sylph For this island arc and the temple, how much do you have planned out? Are we free to kinda explore things ourselves and discover things/make events happen, or should we just keep our posts reactionary? I'll probably ask this a lot during the rest of the expedition and future quests lol, just don't want to step on any toes if you have a whole thing planned out.

For this island arc and the temple, how much do you have planned out? Are we free to kinda explore things ourselves and discover things/make events happen, or should we just keep our posts reactionary? I'll probably ask this a lot during the rest of the expedition and future quests lol, just don't want to step on any toes if you have a whole thing planned out.
Oof, that's a tricky question. A lot of it depends, but thank you for asking! This got quite long so buckle in.

In this particular case I do have a plan for the next few posts, though that's in part because it was organised with other players beforehand. Most of the time I will have set of possible ideas for what will happen next, based on the characters' most likely decisions, but my preferred style is to let players take initiative and adapt the story around their choices. There are certain events I will work towards in order to keep the pace moving, but unless those instances involve a plot organised with someone else, or are somehow crucial to the plan, I'm not shy in scrapping or delaying encounters if it looks like the story might go a different way.

That being said, I'd prefer any MAJOR events or changes in scenario to be run by me beforehand, if only so that I can implement them into the plot properly. It's a bit of an extreme example, but if someone suddenly mentions a dragon attacking out of nowhere it would cause issues. Not only because it brings in an unavoidable obstacle and could possibly conflict with lore, but also since it adds a whole new side story I haven't accounted for and will likely want to expand upon.

That being said, I'm fine with people adding details that seem like a natural extension of the circumstances. To illustrate—SOMEHOW, the temple doors Eiru mentioned were completely unanticipated on my end. I had a vague notion of the structure being open plan, but then doors were mentioned and I blanked lol. Things like that don't bother me, since it's not a major change and they often add to the story. So if you want to describe something like geysers in the distance, rockpools that seem worth investigating, or strange howls from within the caves... go right ahead! If the group decides to go down a different path then I'll happily adapt to the circumstances. It's only if those paths or items of interest lead to an important encounter or side-story that I'd prefer to know ahead of time—otherwise it's likely I'll go ahead and generate a new plot that doesn't match the other person's vision, and then things start to get messy.

I guess a good example would be the eyes of the island Nanalee has mentioned? Since you haven't said anything OOC about their purpose I naturally assume they're a feature I can use and adapt to the island's circumstances as I see fit. If you DO have a specific plan for them I'd prefer to know ahead of time, so that we're not foreshadowing two completely different encounters.

In terms of progression, I don't mind at all if characters want to take initiative and follow an alternative route. There are any number of choices the group could have gone with throughout the journey so far. They could have decided to explore the cavern Eiru pointed out first, or see what was in the urchin cave, or tried to find a method to traverse the underwater tunnels. If they planned to stay on the island overnight I'd have the Scavenger depart to accomplish a side-mission off-screen. Certain decisions are more productive in terms of reaching the end goal, but I try to make it so that most actions yield an outcome, so it isn't wasted time even if it's not directly related to the mission.

I hope that helps? The short of it is if you don't mind me using whatever story hooks you throw out then characters are welcome to introduce new discoveries or plans of action. Otherwise, some background planning may be needed to avoid the awkward toe-stepping :33:

Oof, that's a tricky question. A lot of it depends, but thank you for asking! This got quite long so buckle in.

In this particular case I do have a plan for the next few posts, though that's in part because it was organised with other players beforehand. Most of the time I will have set of possible ideas for what will happen next, based on the characters' most likely decisions, but my preferred style is to let players take initiative and adapt the story around their choices. There are certain events I will work towards in order to keep the pace moving, but unless those instances involve a plot organised with someone else, or are somehow crucial to the plan, I'm not shy in scrapping or delaying encounters if it looks like the story might go a different way.

That being said, I'd prefer any MAJOR events or changes in scenario to be run by me beforehand, if only so that I can implement them into the plot properly. It's a bit of an extreme example, but if someone suddenly mentions a dragon attacking out of nowhere it would cause issues. Not only because it brings in an unavoidable obstacle and could possibly conflict with lore, but also since it adds a whole new side story I haven't accounted for and will likely want to expand upon.

That being said, I'm fine with people adding details that seem like a natural extension of the circumstances. To illustrate—SOMEHOW, the temple doors Eiru mentioned were completely unanticipated on my end. I had a vague notion of the structure being open plan, but then doors were mentioned and I blanked lol. Things like that don't bother me, since it's not a major change and they often add to the story. So if you want to describe something like geysers in the distance, rockpools that seem worth investigating, or strange howls from within the caves... go right ahead! If the group decides to go down a different path then I'll happily adapt to the circumstances. It's only if those paths or items of interest lead to an important encounter or side-story that I'd prefer to know ahead of time—otherwise it's likely I'll go ahead and generate a new plot that doesn't match the other person's vision, and then things start to get messy.

I guess a good example would be the eyes of the island Nanalee has mentioned? Since you haven't said anything OOC about their purpose I naturally assume they're a feature I can use and adapt to the island's circumstances as I see fit. If you DO have a specific plan for them I'd prefer to know ahead of time, so that we're not foreshadowing two completely different encounters.

In terms of progression, I don't mind at all if characters want to take initiative and follow an alternative route. There are any number of choices the group could have gone with throughout the journey so far. They could have decided to explore the cavern Eiru pointed out first, or see what was in the urchin cave, or tried to find a method to traverse the underwater tunnels. If they planned to stay on the island overnight I'd have the Scavenger depart to accomplish a side-mission off-screen. Certain decisions are more productive in terms of reaching the end goal, but I try to make it so that most actions yield an outcome, so it isn't wasted time even if it's not directly related to the mission.

I hope that helps? The short of it is if you don't mind me using whatever story hooks you throw out then characters are welcome to introduce new discoveries or plans of action. Otherwise, some background planning may be needed to avoid the awkward toe-stepping :33:
That's perfect and explains all consequent questions I could have had, thank you! Love the examples as well haha. Will be sure to DM you should I have anything significant I particularly want to introduce in the future! <3
Yeah, that's exactly how I intended them to be used dw. I love that aspect of roleplaying the most to be honest, throwing ideas out there and seeing how they're built upon by everyone else. If I have some specific plan for something I introduce though, I'd definitely say OOC beforehand. Most of the time that isn't the case though haha.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'm usually pretty flexible with anything in terms of roleplay. If you want to attempt to injure/capture/fight or just be randomly hostile to my characters I'm usually fine with it, the only real exception being if someone attempts to permanently injure/kill my characters lol.
The interior opened up into an expansive room, carved pillars winding towards the ceiling. All manner of sea life circled the stone supports, forever frozen in time, gardens of grey coral sprouting from the base. Shells and other aquatic decor decorated the lifeless hall, made of lackluster stone despite the intricacy of the carvings. The centrepiece was an amalgamation of sealife and coral surrounding the throne-like shell.

Not a single thing moved inside the hall, save for rivulets of water running down the walls.
Also, on a completely separate note, this room is enclosed right? There's no descriptions of doors/hallways/trapdoors leading out of it? (I'm not saying there couldn't be hidden ones, it just doesn't look like there any visible entrances/exits from your initial description apart from the stone doors the group just opened up)

Yeah, that's exactly how I intended them to be used dw. I love that aspect of roleplaying the most to be honest, throwing ideas out there and seeing how they're built upon by everyone else. If I have some specific plan for something I introduce though, I'd definitely say OOC beforehand. Most of the time that isn't the case though haha.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'm usually pretty flexible with anything in terms of roleplay. If you want to attempt to injure/capture/fight or just be randomly hostile to my characters I'm usually fine with it, the only real exception being if someone attempts to permanently injure/kill my characters lol.
Awesome, good to know!

Also, on a completely separate note, this room is enclosed right? There's no descriptions of doors/hallways/trapdoors leading out of it? (I'm not saying there couldn't be hidden ones, it just doesn't look like there any visible entrances/exits from your initial description apart from the stone doors the group just opened up)
It is enclosed, yes. I haven't planned for there to be any further exits apart from the doors they came through.

Some thoughts as I was doing Odyssey's response:

Remaining on her talons' toes with her wings cautiously raised at the ready,
stock-photo-burrowing-owl-defense-pose-in-florida-agnieszka-bacal-1126833356.jpg

Perhaps Nanalee would be able to freeze it in place to buy them time to escape, but that may be hopeful thinking and would just anger it more.
That is a pretty good suggestion actually. Nanalee's ice would work great if it came to a fight

For their sake Ruvo deeply hoped that the serpents this being spoke of were not in anyway related to the sea serpent they had fought aboard the Scavenger.
: )

Uasal Uasal
NO WONDER YOUR TAG DIDN'T AUTOFILL
Love the new name!

[Blessing of Odyssey Obtained]
Changes last for roughly a day IC:
- One affinity per character switched to water.
- Features changed to that of merfolk [tail + gills].
- Unable to communicate with humans verbally.

Permanent:
- Understanding of siren speech patterns.
- Attribute points +20.
If there are any questions on this let me know. In simplest terms, they've been temporarily turned into sirens by Odyssey. They can resemble pretty much any type of ocean creature, and up to you what sort of extra features they have. They won't be able to speak with humans until they change back, but their voice doesn't have the enchanting quality of proper sirens (except maybe Leo or Ruvo) since only one of their affinities changed.

Some thoughts as I was doing Odyssey's response:

stock-photo-burrowing-owl-defense-pose-in-florida-agnieszka-bacal-1126833356.jpg

That is a pretty good suggestion actually. Nanalee's ice would work great if it came to a fight

: )

Uasal Uasal
NO WONDER YOUR TAG DIDN'T AUTOFILL
Love the new name!

If there are any questions on this let me know. In simplest terms, they've been temporarily turned into sirens by Odyssey. They can resemble pretty much any type of ocean creature, and up to you what sort of extra features they have. They won't be able to speak with humans until they change back, but their voice doesn't have the enchanting quality of proper sirens (except maybe Leo or Ruvo) since only one of their affinities changed.
The Ashitaka Fish DLC meme is getting a whole new meaning today!

The Ashitaka Fish DLC meme is getting a whole new meaning today!
Fishman fighting with a swordfish!

I should also mention the group has been relocated to Odyssey's main temple on the sea floor. The two structures share a space, which is why Ymir's sight went all whack when she tried to peer inside.

How exciting! Loved the post Sylph Sylph , you (and Uasal Uasal who I assumed helped plan this whole arc out!) are awesome.

I'm not going to post anytime soon since I posted last before the whole scene change, but here are my current ideas for the blessing, and you can let me know if they're too farfetched and whatnot:
  • Nanalee's ice affinity will switch to water. Her spirits will then take the form of aquatic creatures made of water, likely inspired/similar to Odyssey's form itself. Little otter water spirits sounds cute, but shark-like creatures also sound fun. Nanalee's never actually seen many underwater creatures since she's a harpy, and will have poorer control over water since she's used to controlling ice, so her creations will likely end up looking a bit odd lol.
  • As a merfolk, I understand that Nanalee's legs/talons will turn into a fish's tail and she will have gills/fins/scales and stuff. Additionally, however, I had the idea that her wings would turn into an octopus' tentacles, kind of trailing down her arms like her feathers once did. She wouldn't be able to control them very well, likely acting like a baby trying to grab or hold things for a while, but it's fun imagining it in my head. It will be more for aesthetic than anything, I won't make it op, if anything they'll probably tangle and get in the way a lot lmao. Let me know if that's too much though, it's no worries at all!

How exciting! Loved the post Sylph Sylph , you (and Uasal Uasal who I assumed helped plan this whole arc out!) are awesome.

I'm not going to post anytime soon since I posted last before the whole scene change, but here are my current ideas for the blessing, and you can let me know if they're too farfetched and whatnot:
  • Nanalee's ice affinity will switch to water. Her spirits will then take the form of aquatic creatures made of water, likely inspired/similar to Odyssey's form itself. Little otter water spirits sounds cute, but shark-like creatures also sound fun. Nanalee's never actually seen many underwater creatures since she's a harpy, and will have poorer control over water since she's used to controlling ice, so her creations will likely end up looking a bit odd lol.
  • As a merfolk, I understand that Nanalee's legs/talons will turn into a fish's tail and she will have gills/fins/scales and stuff. Additionally, however, I had the idea that her wings would turn into an octopus' tentacles, kind of trailing down her arms like her feathers once did. She wouldn't be able to control them very well, likely acting like a baby trying to grab or hold things for a while, but it's fun imagining it in my head. It will be more for aesthetic than anything, I won't make it op, if anything they'll probably tangle and get in the way a lot lmao. Let me know if that's too much though, it's no worries at all!
That sound great! And yeah, Nacht has been a huge part of planning out this quest. It's been awesome working with them behind the scenes, along with Key of Stars Key of Stars as well.

Nanalee as an octopus is a little surprising, but I'm 100% on board with it! If you would prefer to have her bottom half have the eight tentacles (like Ursula from little mermaid) instead of a tail that's totally fine too. I'm picturing something like a manta ray for Ymir so the designs don't have to be uniform.

Also for the sake of clarity, Odyssey's blessing acts more like a (magical) second skin than a proper, biological transformation. It still looks and feels as if they've been physically transformed, but the magic is layered on top of their clothes so everyone will still be fully dressed when the blessing wears off, and the top half of their outfit will still be visible in the meantime.

Sylph Sylph is already out to ruin the chaos that would have been the group realising they've no bottom clothes on. SMH

I'll probably get around to posting and assigning my new attributes tomorrow. Speaking of: the 20 points are permanent right? Per the message?

I'll probably get around to posting and assigning my new attributes tomorrow. Speaking of: the 20 points are permanent right? Per the message?
Yup! The extra points are for them to keep. Odyssey's blessing also comes with an innate understanding of siren speech patterns, so while characters will lose the ability to speak underwater after they turn back, a permanent advantage is that they'll still understand speech patterns above the surface, and won't be as affected by the enchanted singing.

Thanks to that most recent blessing, Ashitaka has officially reached the minimum intelligence I had in mind (0) for his magic to begin surfacing! I probably won't do much with it until after this quest (y'know, for continuity and courtesy :] ) but I do have the beginnings of an Arc in mind - stay tuned. Plus, details on what his ability (MIGHT) be are coming soon!

Also: my PFP is gonna be a bit... all over the place for the next few days. I posted a thread choosing new ones and got some - *ahem* - interesting suggestions.

"Thankfully none of us died though. And if you want to be really optimistic about it. Ymir here won't have any need to ride a boat for the next 24 hours!"
For once in her life, Ymir would rather be on the ship.

Uasal Uasal BakaTheIdiot BakaTheIdiot
I loved Eiru and Ashitaka's responses! I think the end of my last IC post may have been a little vague though, and I'd like to clear it up to avoid any confusion (•^•`)> The temple on the sea floor is meant to completely fill with water as soon as Odyssey disables the power holding it back, which is what the end of my last post was getting at. If you'd rather not change anything we can say there was a delay where Ashitaka and Eiru had time to interact, and then after that the barrier holding back the ocean collapses and the group are underwater.

For once in her life, Ymir would rather be on the ship.

Uasal Uasal BakaTheIdiot BakaTheIdiot
I loved Eiru and Ashitaka's responses! I think the end of my last IC post may have been a little vague though, and I'd like to clear it up to avoid any confusion (•^•`)> The temple on the sea floor is meant to completely fill with water as soon as Odyssey disables the power holding it back, which is what the end of my last post was getting at. If you'd rather not change anything we can say there was a delay where Ashitaka and Eiru had time to interact, and then after that the barrier holding back the ocean collapses and the group are underwater.
OOF- my bad fam! Thankfully this looks like a pretty easy fix at least for me. I can just go back and tweak my wording a little/add a small chunk and make it more cohesive. It's really ni biggy! I can fix it as early as tomorrow morning. :angels:

Just to make sure I understood correctly. The group were basically magically transported or shifted to to the primary temple on the sea floor from the temple they were in that was on the surface of the island. The transition between the two locations was marked by the sudden drop of temperature and the darkness. Was that about right or did I misinterpret something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back