• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Goonfire

I CAST GUN!!!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
THE GRAY SCALES
A Dark Multi-fandom Adventure by Frozen Thyme

The end of your world arrived so suddenly.

Few could have predicted it, if any. One moment, all was normal. The next, a variegated swirling light appeared up high, painting the entire world in pastel pinks and oranges. Mass hysteria ensued and experts struggled to grasp the nature of this anomaly. Within twenty-four hours, other foreign scenes appeared as the sky became a mirror into other worlds. Finally, the very fabric of reality seemed to warp, twist, and tear until the known world was no more.

Across the multiverse, trillions died, with a sparse few lucky individuals drifting towards a haven in the rift: their new home, the Conflux.

1636723935381.png

This catastrophic phenomenon continued, with dozens of universes swallowed each week. Something unique happened in several worlds, though; small rifts opened, pulling a handful of exceptional people across the veil between worlds. It felt as though the fiber of their being screamed, but they safely rolled out of the wormhole and into a tall rotunda with a skylight and arcane runes carved into the floor. Blue light emanated from the hanging lanterns around the edges of the room, while the glow of myriad candles circling a reflective pool added contrasting warmth. An altar stood towards the back of the room, a set of scales resting atop it. Despite the vibrant colors of the flames, neither showed on the scales; the gleaming metal remained perfectly neutral shades of gray, keyed to nothing.

depositphotos_40621857-stock-photo-scales-of-justice.jpg

Four figures flanked the new arrivals, three of whom were seated upon pews that had been moved against the walls. The fourth, a red-haired woman wearing vintage sunglasses, rose from her kneeling position beside the altar. "Come hither, brave souls," she greeted in a posh accent before gesturing to the strange scales. "The Scales call for you to rebalance them, by fighting on behalf of the dark."

text divider.png

This project aims to examine, critique, and subvert the common themes of:
"light versus dark", and
"good versus evil".
These two themes usually overlapped, the terms often interchangeable (light with good; dark with evil). These juxtapositions have been evident in literature since ancient times, spawning a plethora of fictional monsters that made people fear the dark for millennia. While we are not discrediting or mocking the classic white knights, we will be acknowledging the negative consequences of well-intentioned actions with initially minor repercussions that eventually snowballed to create the problem at hand.

In this roleplay project, you will assume the role of a fandom character (or an original character, if you are certain they will fit) who has been pulled into the Conflux, an ancient haven for those who ensured good was clearly distinguishable from evil and that light and dark had their places. This is a grim scenario in which the forces of "good" and "light" prevailed in many worlds but grotesquely overstepped their bounds once unopposed, unwittingly spawning entities mirroring their distorting morality.

The main cast will be seeking witches and dark priests to found a new coven that will shepherd the multiverse back onto a path of balance and understanding. They will be assailed by and likely forced to combat radicals who seek to indiscriminately crusade, murder, and terrorize in the name of the light or the dark.

Please read carefully!
Despite helping dark (but not evil) forces, you do not have to play a witch or even someone specifically associated with the dark. You are playing a character (hero, villain, or otherwise) whose world is in the process of or has already been consumed. Success in this quest yields a chance of restoring those worlds that are lost, so this will likely be your characters' primary motivation and the foundation of a common goal. Moreover, the trip through the wormhole in these unusual circumstances left many characters drained of much power, which will be (re)built over the course of the roleplay.

Before proceeding, carefully consider these expectations:
  • Only submit a character sheet if you are certain you can commit to consistently making at least one post per week, barring a real-life crisis or physical illness. In addition to smaller in-character posts, I will write a mainline post to try to move the plot forward every Saturday, at the very least. I reserve the right to control or remove your character if you are consistently absent.
  • This roleplay is for mature audiences. There will be some dark humor, violence, use of alcohol and tobacco, and various types of horror (all within site limits).
  • All site rules apply, and I need not remind you to avoid godmodding and out-of-character drama.
  • Write at least one solid, descriptive paragraph with enough substance for others to respond. Four to five well-structured sentences should be sufficient.
  • Carefully consider how your character will interact with others. Anti-social loners will not be accepted.
I will allow room for eight players, with a maximum of two main characters per player. This is not a first-come, first-serve basis, and I will finish evaluating all submissions by Saturday, November 27, 2021.

You may find the character sheet HERE and a small lore page HERE. The Discord server for out-of-character chat is HERE.

Best not tarry long.

Last edited:
seems interesting so what imits are there to charater types?
My only real limitation is that they're not an anti-social loner type, since this is a team setting. I would also advise against playing someone who would get extremely hostile toward witches (e.g. attempting to kill even a friendly one), since they play a key role in the plot.

My only real limitation is that they're not an anti-social loner type, since this is a team setting. I would also advise against playing someone who would get extremely hostile toward witches (e.g. attempting to kill even a friendly one), since they play a key role in the plot.
rightio i can cook something up might make some kinda witch or something cool

Bumping this.

Regarding the reduction of characters' power, there will be at least five points at which weakened or locked powers will be brought back. Characters that don't rely on an array of superpowers can still keep up by claiming equipment found throughout the worlds and from supporting characters and minor vendors at the Conflux.

Heya! So I've never really participated in a multi-fandom Roleplay before as I typically lean toward making my own characters. Would it be possible to make an OC whose from a certain world/Fandom, but is original in their own aspect? I've never played Fandom characters because I was always afraid of getting their personalities wrong, but this Roleplay seems cool and I'd love to join :3

If my character has a bit of tech and magic would they be allowed? I just want to make sure they'd be alright to fit into the setting.

Heya! So I've never really participated in a multi-fandom Roleplay before as I typically lean toward making my own characters. Would it be possible to make an OC whose from a certain world/Fandom, but is original in their own aspect? I've never played Fandom characters because I was always afraid of getting their personalities wrong, but this Roleplay seems cool and I'd love to join :3

If my character has a bit of tech and magic would they be allowed? I just want to make sure they'd be alright to fit into the setting.
Yes, this is all allowed. One major point of anything set in a multiverse is to incorporate things that would normally never be seen together, such as a tribal shaman and a cyborg fighting back-to-back.

Say, can a canonical character start with a non-official/non-canon ability or form or something? I'm planning to sign up as Ben 10, and since his powerset's going to be dampened, I had the idea of resetting him back to 10 aliens, throwing some custom ones in to give the impression of a 'brand new series'.

Last edited:
Say, can a canonical character start with a non-official/non-canon ability or form or something? I'm planning to sign up as Ben 10, and since his powerset's going to be dampened, I had the idea of resetting him back to 10 aliens, throwing some custom ones in to give the impression of a 'brand new series'.
I don’t see why not, so long as you don’t mind some of those being locked temporarily and you stay true to what’s in your CS when the roleplay starts.

Since I'm not sure if any of my character's abilites need to be locked would you review them and tell me if they were good to go once they were submitted?

And is there a due date for when you want our CSes finished by? I can be a bit slow with CSes, it's usually the bio that takes me the longest.

OH WAIT nevermind I have smooth brain, I read the due date last night and forgot it lmao.

Last edited:
Since I'm not sure if any of my character's abilites need to be locked would you review them and tell me if they were good to go once they were submitted?

And is there a due date for when you want our CSes finished by? I can be a bit slow with CSes, it's usually the bio that takes me the longest.
If you’re not sure what should be locked, feel free to post your CS with nothing locked, and I’ll suggest what to lock and diminish (as in work at half power).

The roleplay starts 11/27. Try to have your CS ready by 11/26 so there isn’t a rush to evaluate it at the last minute.

If you’re not sure what should be locked, feel free to post your CS with nothing locked, and I’ll suggest what to lock and diminish (as in work at half power).

The roleplay starts 11/27. Try to have your CS ready by 11/26 so there isn’t a rush to evaluate it at the last minute.
That should be plenty of time! Thank you!

I just kinda struggle with pumping out fast CSes so it's always been disappointing when I work super hard on a CS and then it's been declined even when I had like 85% of it finished.

Should I hold off on joining the OOC for now?

That should be plenty of time! Thank you!

I just kinda struggle with pumping out fast CSes so it's always been disappointing when I work super hard on a CS and then it's been declined even when I had like 85% of it finished.

Should I hold off on joining the OOC for now?
Joining the Discord server now is recommended, as you’ll see other questions, answers, and updates in our character planning channel.

I don’t see why not, so long as you don’t mind some of those being locked temporarily and you stay true to what’s in your CS when the roleplay starts.

I was thinking the idea was that he does have his full arsenal but the lock knocked him down to 10 where he slowly unlocks the rest of his arsenal over time.

How many of the 10 do you intend to lock from the start? Or will that number depend on which forms I choose? (i.e. their strength, power and the like)

Well, time to get back to working on the app.

I was thinking the idea was that he does have his full arsenal but the lock knocked him down to 10 where he slowly unlocks the rest of his arsenal over time.

How many of the 10 do you intend to lock from the start? Or will that number depend on which forms I choose? (i.e. their strength, power and the like)

Well, time to get back to working on the app.
Proceed with your CS. Chances are, I'll advise locking the most powerful forms. There will be a total of five major unlocks, with the possibility of several smaller ones in-between.

Question are you looking only for people on foot or are pilots also welcome? I have an idea for both, though I would prefer the pilot.

Some great submissions are trickling in already. Those who are accepted will be notified in our Discord server on 11/27!

FOMO made me drop a CS down. Hope I'm not too late! Is the 27th still the cutoff?

We’re moving into the final couple days of our interest check. If you still plan to submit an application, this is a good time to finalize some decisions and revisions, as we close on 11/27 at 3pm EST. I will announce the eight best fits in the Discord server by 5pm, and we will begin the roleplay by 8pm.

This interest check is officially closed. We will no longer be accepting applications. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back