• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

FearItself

There is nothing to fear
Set in a strange universe where physics itself is permeated in magic and the depths of space are far different than we understand. There are many realms in this universe, each being roughly the suze of a solar system and encased in an indestructible crystal sphere. The stars one sees in the sky are not giant balls of nuclear gas rather they are portals along the sphere itself leading to the many many other spheres. The space between the spheres is known as the Astral Sea, a strange miasma like substance that flowed between the spheres and was beleived to be the source of magic itself.

By entering a portal on the edge of a sphere one would enter "the flow" a strage interlacing web of less unstable rivers flowimg withing the astral sea. Navigating these rivers allows for travel between realms though few races have been able to master such travel. Among them long ago was the illithids whose psychic power allowed them the ability to traverse the astral sea without magic and even absorb power from the Sea itself and gain great power. Long ago these illithids had a multi-hundred sphere spanning empire however an uprising of their mind slaves caused the empire to collapse and the illithids to flee inti the subterrainian depths of the central material Spheres.

Thousands of years later the illithids had rebuilt much of their power and were nearing the ability to once again take to the astral sea and begin their expansion. Yet in the far realms on the edge of the universe there existed the realm of Mechanis. A robotic species known as the Modron ruled by a godlike being known as primus would always send out a massive army of drones every 287 years like clockwork. They would always venture into the outer realms in search of something, this process had gone on since before the time of the gods and had never once changed. Yet this time it did, the Modron marched inward to the central material realms and waged a genocide against the remaining illithids.

In the end there survived only a few illithids. Among them was Sul'duin who was born of a human scientist taken by an illithid tadpole. Sul'duin used the knowledge he had gained from the sage and was abls to reconstruct one of the illithids Astral ships which he intends to use to avenge his fallen and near extinct species.

Having finished his ship he has traveled the core material soheres in search of worthy adventurers whome he promised the wealth of a god to them if they helped him in his quest to slay Primus the god of the Modron. However the promise of wealth came with a caveat, if the adventurers were ever stricken down and unable to be healed they would become hosts for Sul'duin's own tadpoles becoming new illithids, worthy illithids. Having gathered most of his crew Sul'duin now goes to recruit his last member and begin the journey to Kill a god.

Illithid_space_hamster-5e.jpg
Sul'duin the "Captain" of the godbane pirates. His Ship and Journey will span many realms and pit he and his crew against a variety of beings and forces as they gather the required tools to slay the God Primus. The journey will be perilous, yet rewarding. So im looking for between 6 and 8 players for this adventure. Sul'duin has been gathering his crew for 3 years now and all members of the crew besides 1 maybe 2 have been gathered prior. The rp starts with the ship and crews arrival in a new sphere where they will find their last crew member. So in short we need 1 member of the crew to be a newbie who will be meeting the pirates and joining them. The rest of the cast will have been with Sul'duin for between 3 years and 3 months. All manner of humaniod being are acceptible. Humans, orcs, elves, dwarves, tieflings, nephilim, Draconian, Kaijeet, whatever you wish as long as its within reason. The crew is intended to be rather experienced adventurers but not legendary heroes or anything of the like. Be strongish but with room to grow. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

Also note i will allow one of the crew to also be an illithid if you want. You can ask me if you need any of the info on them.

c2a2b3a899c55ff7b635869c99cd2bd4.jpg
The Illithid Astral Ship known as The Hive. It is roughly 98ft long and 3 stories tall on average. It weighs about 36 tons and can hold a crew of about 26 but only needs one Illithid to run effectively. (Name pending) this vessel is capable of travel in the Astral sea, Air travel, and Sea travel. It can Actually bend the River like streams of the Astral sea to better navigate the chaotic space. When traveling through the astral sea it generates a psychic bubble around itself allowing the crew to walk the Decks while in the astral sea. It does have weapons capabilities but they are minimal and it mainly relies on the crews abilities and weapons for defense. It is Fueled By magicite a Mineralized and hypercondenced magic crystal.

I am interested. If the others are fine with it I would like to have my character be the other Ilithid.
That works well and would likely gain you the rank of first mate. You have two options there. You can be a broodmate (brother) to the captain which would make you human born (your host was human) or you could be a crew member who joined and was mortally wounded and thus was turned into an illithid. Either way the process is the same. You would've been a Larvae known as a tadpole that was implanted into a humaniods brain then after consuming it and thus their memories and knowledge. In Sul'duin's case he was a decently talented wizard and sage that has become a pretty strong illithid with access to psychic and magic. What you were before does have some relevance to what you become. For example an elven illithid will be more psychicly talented and agile whereas an orc illithid will be stronger and more resiliant.

dissapointing what about a dragon abord? like just depoly the dragon out of the ship lol
Thats a bit above the challenge rating of the crew itself. Like fighting a dragon would be an all hands on deck scenario. Too powerful for this sadly. Dragonkin on the otherhand are different.

Thats a bit above the challenge rating of the crew itself. Like fighting a dragon would be an all hands on deck scenario. Too powerful for this sadly. Dragonkin on the otherhand are different.
what about a baby dragon? well young dragon? im sure that would be ok? how wouldn't what a small dragon abord?

4e_dragonborn.jpg
Dragonkin in this are basically Dnd dragonborn. They can have wings or tails sometimes both. Usually have a breath weapon and always have scales teeth and claws.

what about a baby dragon? well young dragon? im sure that would be ok? how wouldn't what a small dragon abord?
Id prefer not. I asked for all humaniods for a reason. In this only humaniods can become mind flayers and as such would be the only ones in the crew.

Furthermore a baby dragon would be low intelligence and wouldnt age noticably over the course of the entire story since they live about 1200 years.

View attachment 676239
Dragonkin in this are basically Dnd dragonborn. They can have wings or tails sometimes both. Usually have a breath weapon and always have scales teeth and claws.
i mean... yeah... but also... no...
Id prefer not. I asked for all humaniods for a reason. In this only humaniods can become mind flayers and as such would be the only ones in the crew.

Furthermore a baby dragon would be low intelligence and wouldnt age noticably over the course of the entire story since they live about 1200 years.
disappointing....

what ABOUT A MORE INTELLIGENT HELMED HORROR WELL LIKE... NOT EXACTLY ONE... HMMM WAIT WARFORGE ARTIFIER... WELL TINKERER WE GOTTA HAVE THAT ONE GUY ALWAYS TRYING TO MAKE SOMETHING BIGGER AND GUNNIER

1580884226313.png

i mean... yeah... but also... no...

disappointing....

what ABOUT A MORE INTELLIGENT HELMED HORROR WELL LIKE... NOT EXACTLY ONE... HMMM WAIT WARFORGE ARTIFIER... WELL TINKERER WE GOTTA HAVE THAT ONE GUY ALWAYS TRYING TO MAKE SOMETHING BIGGER AND GUNNIER

View attachment 676245
I suppose but again they would need to be susseptible to being turned into an Illithid. Meaning organic Humaniod with a brain who is in no way immune to psychic power or assimulation.

Plus no robotic being would want to go after primus. They would basically forfeit their will immediately upon setting foot in his realm.

I suppose but again they would need to be susseptible to being turned into an Illithid. Meaning organic Humaniod with a brain who is in no way immune to psychic power or assimulation.
well warforged... wouldn't work then dissapointing... but your planing on having everyone turn into a illithid... soo the captain would either be a elder brain or a Ulitharid....
Plus no robotic being would want to go after primus. They would basically forfeit their will immediately upon setting foot in his realm.
warforged arn't monodrones or the like... they have there own free will but still wouldn't exactly work... i don't exactly see why you letting people have diffrent speices when in the end we all end up as mindflayers...

The idea was for Sul'duin to handpick what he deemed to be the perfect candidates for his new empire of Worthy Illithids.

Robots cannot become mindflayers and its not mandatory for others to become mindflayers. My restrictions really werent too heavy. Organic and humaniod. You gotta be able to become a mind flayer in case your character dies or you must leave the rp in other ways.

And fair point about not being modrons but even still dude is basically a robot god.

As for the captain being an elderbrain or Ulrithid neither of those are really a thing in this. This will be similar to dnd but different in a few regards. In this Illithids need no elder brains and dont reproduce in the normal way. Rather than eggs their Larvae are produced internally and can be unleashed into victims via feeding almost like a vampire. As long as they are organic beings with a humaniod shape and a brain of some kind they can be turned into an illithid and they will basically keep their normal stats skills and the like but now they are an illithid and gain the illithid stats and powers at the cost of most of their magic and all of their conscousness.the entire metamorphosis takes about 9 days.

Because of this Illithids actually have a parent whome they refer to as mother or father. While not completely subservient they do tend to listem to their parent because most things do ya know.

The idea was for Sul'duin to handpick what he deemed to be the perfect candidates for his new empire of Worthy Illithids.

Robots cannot become mindflayers and its not mandatory for others to become mindflayers. My restrictions really werent too heavy. Organic and humaniod. You gotta be able to become a mind flayer in case your character dies or you must leave the rp in other ways.

And fair point about not being modrons but even still dude is basically a robot god.
well no not a robot god... really... but yeah... im just going to i doubt people are going to be too happy to have characters changed so drastically while yes its a choice i don't think to many would be happy...

besides a warforged can be repaired with mending, and who wouldn't want one abored... i guess you...
As for the captain being an elderbrain or Ulrithid neither of those are really a thing in this. This will be similar to dnd but different in a few regards. In this Illithids need no elder brains and dont reproduce in the normal way. Rather than eggs their Larvae are produced internally and can be unleashed into victims via feeding almost like a vampire. As long as they are organic beings with a humaniod shape and a brain of some kind they can be turned into an illithid and they will basically keep their normal stats skills and the like but now they are an illithid and gain the illithid stats and powers at the cost of most of their magic and all of their conscousness.the entire metamorphosis takes about 9 days.
rrriiiiiight.... yeah im sorry if im being a asshole but personly hearing this im not toooo interested now... kinda feels like your corrupting the charature too much... idk that just mean....

well no not a robot god... really... but yeah... im just going to i doubt people are going to be too happy to have characters changed so drastically while yes its a choice i don't think to many would be happy...

besides a warforged can be repaired with mending, and who wouldn't want one abored... i guess you...

rrriiiiiight.... yeah im sorry if im being a asshole but personly hearing this im not toooo interested now... kinda feels like your corrupting the charature too much... idk that just mean....
Understandable to each their own. I was mostly changing it because in lore the process takes far to long to be something someone can choose mid story. In addition the Elder brains amd Other forms of illithids such as the beholder versions and dragon versions are very very powerful.

I suppose an exception can be made with the mechanical being assuming they were on the ship prior to the human scientists being turned into an illithid. The Robo god primus thing is kinda what the lore has him set up as at least to my understanding. Though you are correct he wouldnt exactly be able to dominate the wills of all machines.

And no your not being an asshole just stating your opinion. Being an asshole would be saying the idea is dumb or whatnot. Though i disagree with you assessment. DMs often change lore and stat block of monsters to fit their campaigns especially when making monsters a playable class. But again its your honest opinion and i can understand not liking lore changes on creatures you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back