• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Garden of the Gods - Roman alternate history (Interest Check)

Intro

Krinkov23

I should be working...
THE GARDEN OF THE GODS
Cover image: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GznoV

Winter, 70 AD. The Roman Empire is recovering from a year of civil conflict that nearly brought it undone. The war, later known as the “Year of the Four Emperors”, pitted politicians against military leaders after the death of Emperor Nero left no clear successors. Vespasian, a respected general from Rome’s eastern provinces, has emerged victorious, but now the challenge of reuniting the shattered population lies before him.

One far-flung colony has escaped the devastation of the previous year. Bomarzium, a city located on the island of Appolonia in the Atlantic, was neglected during Nero’s reign. The dense jungles that lie beyond the colony walls are rarely explored, and rumours abound of lost legions, man-eating monsters and forgotten tribes.

The island’s greatest claim to fame are the dinosaurs, strange creatures that Greek explorers described as being somewhere between a bird and a reptile. Over the last century, dinosaurs captured on the island and products made from them have been exported to every corner of the Empire and beyond, with some surviving to be exhibited in menageries or fight in gladiatorial games.

Today, a ship from Hispania has tied up in the harbor. Renewed economic activity and the return of law and order has seen an increase in traffic across the Atlantic, bringing fortune-seekers and fugitives alike to the colony. The townsfolk watch on as the passengers begin to disembark – could they be pirates? Tax collectors, or other agents of the Empire? Or maybe even the legendary dinosaur hunters of old…

RP DESCRIPTION:

I’ve run this setting before elsewhere online but after a few too many one-word answers I decided to try again 😊 This is a plot-driven PVE RP, taking place in a realistic world with a few alternate history elements (think Jurassic Park meets Eagle of the Ninth). Be aware that the gender of your characters may affect their gameplay interactions, as will their chosen factional alignment (female warriors only from certain cultures etc.).

OPEN: Main thread will be posted once I have at least three characters

Current players
  1. Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian
  2. Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59

RULES:

• Ideally 4-5 characters but there might be room for more
  • Only human characters that could conceivably exist in ancient Roman times (I might allow very-near human characters if they have a well-written character sheet)
  • No magic
  • I’m pretty busy with other stuff so no strict timetable on posting but a paragraph-length response a week would be ideal!

Last edited:
Dinosaurs, Romans scuttling about in ancient temples? Alternate history?

I have only one question? Can I be a Roman gladiator? Retiarius or Murmillo preferably.

Krinkov23 Krinkov23
Apollo is the God of the sun
Appolonia is named after him I reckon.
Japan is considered the Land of the Rising Sun.
Beach episodes.

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that the story takes place in Japan.

Don't question my geographic skills. Everyone knows that by sailing West, we'll end up in the East. I have a degree in cartography ya kno.

🤣 this is alternate history after all, that's definitely possible if we remove the Americas!

I'm liking the character sheets I'm seeing so far, you people are quick! Until we get a few more and I work out the logistics of the main thread I'll post a lore thread soon to get everyone up to speed on the setting.

I'm sure one or two more person/people will join. I just hope the Northern Germanic people don't decide to start the viking raids early, that'll be a bit awkward for the island in the Atlantic.

I'm sure one or two more person/people will join. I just hope the Northern Germanic people don't decide to start the viking raids early, that'll be a bit awkward for the island in the Atlantic.

Vikings and Vinland Saga fans: Hoh? I can't hear you over the sounds of pillaged coast and burned villages.

Me with over 2000 hours logged on Attila Total War: The air was filled with smoke and blood.

🤣 this is alternate history after all, that's definitely possible if we remove the Americas!

I'm liking the character sheets I'm seeing so far, you people are quick! Until we get a few more and I work out the logistics of the main thread I'll post a lore thread soon to get everyone up to speed on the setting.
Amerigo Vespucci: Signore Columbus? I dun feel so good... (de-canonized)

Bumping with apologies - my PhD became hectic as Hades almost immediately after posting this but things have eased off for now. Expect to see a lore page in the next day or two, and fingers crossed we might get started soon after!

Krinkov23 Krinkov23 I'm still interested in going on this little adventure through the island but I think you should check in with Sushi Muncher or get at least two other players. Won't be much of a group rp with only one person, now would it?

Krinkov23 Krinkov23 I'm still interested in going on this little adventure through the island but I think you should check in with Sushi Muncher or get at least two other players. Won't be much of a group rp with only one person, now would it?

Sushi prompted me recently, so I hope that means they are still interested! I'm posting some additional lore to see if I can get one more person.
Lore here - Fantasy - The Garden of the Gods - OOC and Lore

Are you still looking for people? I stumbled across this and I thought this looked very unique and cool. Romans are kind of a time period I don't know much about but Im willing to learn on the go.

Are you still looking for people? I stumbled across this and I thought this looked very unique and cool. Romans are kind of a time period I don't know much about but Im willing to learn on the go.

Yep! I think we'd be able to start with three, and it looks like you've got some experience with conversations and interactions between multiple characters at once which helps! Check out the CS page if you haven't already Fantasy - The Garden of the Gods - CS

Yep! I think we'd be able to start with three, and it looks like you've got some experience with conversations and interactions between multiple characters at once which helps! Check out the CS page if you haven't already Fantasy - The Garden of the Gods - CS
Yeah. I have looked it over. I plan on working on it tomorrow since I have assignment stuff today. I love the backstory and perk ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back