• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom The Forgotten Kingdoms, a Lord of the Rings RP

Bradstein

Lord of the Rings.pngLotr and The Forgotten Kingdos.png
The Lord of the Rings and The Forgotten Kingdoms
The Lonely Mountain.jpg
Story Introduction

The Hobbits of the shire have long spoken of Bilbo’s great adventure into the east, where there lie great forests, vast mountain ranges and all sorts of unhomely creatures. It is time now to revisit these forgotten lands and tell the tales of these great kingdoms of Elves, Men and Dwarves. The year is 3018 of the Third Age and The Fellowship of the Ring has just departed from Rivendell. As the representatives of the free peoples return from the Last Homely House and bring news of the council’s decision, the world knows it must once again unite against the evil of Sauron.

Dark forces move in shadow, plotting to bring down all those who oppose their Dark Lord. Increased activity has been reported by Elves, Men and Dwarves alike at the great fortress of Dol’Guldur and the evil kingdom of Angmar to the North. Armies are massing. Orcs, beasts and evil men alike, all commanded by Sauron to war. What hope could be had for those that remain?

As the shadow obtrudes out into the world, there are still some powers that remain for the good of Middle Earth. Small areas of Mirkwood remain untouched by the evil that lurks there as if Sauron had never returned from his defeat thousands of years ago. As the Elves once again fortify their borders, the Dwarves of Erebor and the Iron Hills strengthen their alliances with the settlements of Man and brace themselves for the war to come.

Each determined to make their mark on the War of the Ring, the Kings of the Greenwood, Erebor and Dale have come together in secret and convened a council of their own. Each Kingdom is to offer its best to come together in search of new means to fight back against the darkness, whether it be to gather secrets of the enemy or to go in search of powerful artefacts of a forgotten age.

Roleplay Summary

In this Role Play Campaign, you will play as a chosen representative of each of the northern kingdoms in their efforts to locate new ways to fight against the Enemy. As players, you will decide how to go about this (with guidance), but the options are limitless. With your group, you must plan your way ahead. It may lead in search of the missing Dwarven Rings of Power, to use as a weapon against the enemy, or perhaps even more ancient items dating back to the Eldar days. You may also seek to go behind enemy lines, acquiring the secrets of the enemy and key intelligence to aid the armies of the Free People’s in their strife.

One amongst the group may also be an Agent of the Enemy, a secret actor of the Dark Lord Sauron, seeking to undermine the mission of the Kingdoms.

Whatever path you choose, I will work within the lore of Tolkien’s world to provide you with an immersive experience, whilst also giving you the freedom to explore and expand your characters in all different ways. There will be no “ruleset”, dice or other such controls over the RP. You must simply create your character in your own image, within the restrictions of the character briefs below.

Characters

Sindar Elf of the Woodland Realm

As an elf of the woodland realm, you remain utterly loyal to the Elvenking, Thranduil. You have watched for hundreds of years as the Greenwood, once the greatest forest in all Middle Earth, dwindled and diminished into what is now the Mirkwood, a place of evil and malice. Your Kingdom is now threatened by evil forces from all sides. Sauron’s hordes prepare themselves to the south at both Dol’Guldur and Mordor, while the Witch King’s armies in Angmar are all but ready to strike.

Should you choose to control one of Thranduil’s finest soldiers clad in golden plate, a ranger of the forest, or a loremaster, all have a place as part of this unique mission in the defence of the Woodland Realm.

Man of Dale

For decades the Kingdom of Dale has once again been thriving under the rule of ‘Bard the Bowman’ and his descendants. Built-up from the ashes left by the infamous cold drake, Smaug, the Kingdom now stretches far beyond Laketown and into the south and west, bordering the forest of Mirkwood. They hold strong alliances with the Dwarves of Erebor, trading in valuables, labour and military assets. Spies loyal to the Kings of Dale have reported huge armies of Easterlings massing in the lands of Rhun to the east for many years now, but lately, they have vastly grown in number. King Brand, the grandson of Bard, is now preparing his people for the greatest war in Dale’s history.

You may play as a member of the King Brand’s Court or a soldier in his armies. Whatever role you choose, Laketown will rely on the success of this secret quest if it is to withstand the brutalities of war.

Dwarf of Erebor

The King under the mountain, Dain Ironfoot II, has rebuilt Erebor from the rubble left after the destruction of Smaug and The Battle of the Five Armies. With vast amounts of treasure now fully at his disposal, all free peoples in the North were sure to prosper under his protection, and so they did. He knows that Erebor’s greatest value, however, is not in the gold within, but rather its strategic position in the northern realms of Middle Earth. The Lonely Mountain is a powerful fortification, capable of shifting the tides in the War. Sauron knows this and means to bring the mountain under his control.

As a proud dwarf of this ancient kingdom, you must use your superior craftsmanship and mastery of technology to ensure this never happens, or the world will fall to the shadow.

Agent of the Shadow

Sauron has many powerful agents at his disposal. Orcs are only good for war. When a lighter touch is needed, Men and Dwarves brought to the shadow by the promise of gold and power are called upon to serve the Dark Lord. Little is known about their power and influence within Sauron’s forces, but should you have crossed paths with one and survived, then know you either carry great skill or great luck.

As an Agent of the Shadow, you will be undercover as one of the aforementioned character choices. You cannot start as Elvenkind due to their initial resistance to corruption. You may begin your character’s journey as an Agent of Shadow as one of the more easily corruptible races of Man and Dwarf, or you may choose to progress into this role over time. Elves too are corruptible, but this would require the intervention of the Dark Lord himself, if only indirectly.

Please indicate your interest in this potential RP by posting below and do let me know if you any questions. Thanks!

4 Players Signed Up So Far! Join Discord below:

Last edited:
Definitely interested! Have always been interested in a LOTR RP, just never really known how it might work in such a rigid world.

Will there only be those 3/4 roles open? With a limited cast of characters as a consequence? If so, will you yourself be playing one of them or simply guiding the RP?

Never done a LOTR RP for much the same reasons as noted above but I have always wanted to. I would love to play someone in this and my mind is already racing at the potential routes I could go with. If this picks up I will throw my hat in for sure.

This seems quite interesting, altought I must say that I too had my concerns about the viability of an RP set in a very linear world like that of Tolkien's.

Ooo, very interested in this. 👀 Just finished watching the extended versions of LOTR too.

Hi all, thank you for showing your interest!

I absolutely appreciate and understand your concerns with regards to the linear nature of Tolkien's world. It is something I have wrestled with for some time and is no doubt the reason for the lack of RP and possibly even successful LOTR games. That being said, the sheer volume of lore made available to us by Tolkien make this, in my opinion, by far the most expansive overall setting for potential RP in the genre.

I have numerous RP concepts written up, however, I have chosen this concept in an effort to strike a balance between those of you who may have only watched the film trilogies (@Daan well done for watching the extended editions, it's a long haul!) and others who may have read some of Tolkien's more in-depth works, such as The Silmarillion. This setting, in the same timeline as the Lord of the Rings and the same locations as The Hobbit, should provide a familiarity for everyone and a good environment in which to RP.

In answer to your concerns, Braddington Braddington , TYPE TYPE and Greymane Greymane , my reasons for having selected specific character options is to accommodate players with less knowledge of Tolkien's lore. I have found many people who want to engage in LOTR RP expect to be able to play Wizards on par with Gandalf and go galavanting around saving the world. As you have said, the linear nature of the lore means this isn't possible, but there are still ample opportunities for exploration and immersive RP. With very little information from Tolkien on what occurred in the northern realms during the War of the Ring, this gives us a great deal of "movement room" in terms of pushing boundaries within the lore to make for an exciting campaign.

I hope this adequately addresses your concerns! If you are still interested in pursuing this, I was hoping to have 4/5 playing characters, whilst I lay the groundwork for the story and act as non-playing-characters. I am however largely guided by your interests, as such if you would prefer to play a different type of character, or within a different setting, just let me know and I can try to make it fit, within reason. Please PM me if you would like to act in this RP as an 'Agent of Shadow' to help maintain the mystery. If you could all please let me know your time zones too, that would be appreciated.

Thanks all :)

SAST UTC +02:00 for me. But my sleeping patterns are messed up quite badly with working, doing this and my partner keeping me up all hours of the night. So yeah, I can be active most times.

Also, yeah - I agree with many of the points you bring up. I think why people never do these comes down to the fact that people don't like being told no. They wanna be the greatest heroes, the kings, the wizards atop great towers and that just does not work in LOTR unless you do AU - which at that point makes it feel inauthentic. Being happy enough to just be a person of some importance doing the right thing and struggling IS what made so many of the main characters in the original story interesting and amazing. Aragorn was loved before he got the crown and the sword (even if he gets that early on in the books), Frodo was amazing because he did it in the end despite the fact that he should not have - with the help of other folk not just himself. Another reason that I feel LOTR struggles in RP scenarios is because people try and make it GOT. They try and make it edgy and add needless aspects of that setting into the truly more 'fantastical' setting of LOTR. And again it just messes with it. That is why I like your approach. It does not needlessly try and inject things into the narrative (Also you don't make Shelob into a fucking goth girl) and it does not stray away from just limiting who people can be to a reasonable level... Great I have become an old man shouting on my porch.

But anyway - I am really into this.

UTC-5/CDT (also on my profile). I binged it in 2 days, so it's good. :) I plan on watching the extended editions of The Hobbit next.

Braddington Braddington I noticed that too! We both have interesting takes on the name for our usernames too :)

TYPE TYPE If I were to walk past you shouting that from your porch, I would be listening intently! I completely agree with everything you've said there really. As long as everyone participating in this can understand they'll never really be on par with the likes of the White Council (Gandalf, Elrond etc.) then I think we'll be good to go really. I don't see your timezone being an issue so I'm sure it'll work out. P.s. I know your pain with being kept up at unsocial hours!

@Daan You should watch The Hobbit Extended Edition triology, then The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition back-to-back, now that's a marathon!

I think with everyone's time zones we can make this work. If you could all add me on Discord please (assuming you all have it), we can make a plan! If anyone else wishes to join us that's fine too, but we may as well lay the foundations now. My Username is Brad#9791. I will of course keep any RP material on the forum, but Discord may be an easier platform to chat about things in the meantime. Thanks!

Braddington Braddington I noticed that too! We both have interesting takes on the name for our usernames too :)

TYPE TYPE If I were to walk past you shouting that from your porch, I would be listening intently! I completely agree with everything you've said there really. As long as everyone participating in this can understand they'll never really be on par with the likes of the White Council (Gandalf, Elrond etc.) then I think we'll be good to go really. I don't see your timezone being an issue so I'm sure it'll work out. P.s. I know your pain with being kept up at unsocial hours!

@Daan You should watch The Hobbit Extended Edition triology, then The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition back-to-back, now that's a marathon!

I think with everyone's time zones we can make this work. If you could all add me on Discord please (assuming you all have it), we can make a plan! If anyone else wishes to join us that's fine too, but we may as well lay the foundations now. My Username is Brad#9791. I will of course keep any RP material on the forum, but Discord may be an easier platform to chat about things in the meantime. Thanks!
Might I suggest you maker a server? Or we can and invite folk? Just for the admin side of all this. It would allow for your DMs to not be flooded as well.

Might I suggest you maker a server? Or we can and invite folk? Just for the admin side of all this. It would allow for your DMs to not be flooded as well.
As an admin you can also make private chats for everyone and you - which can allow you to keep all information in one place without it being leaked to everyone else. If you are worried about leaking info.

That absolutely makes sense. I've created a Permanent Invite link to the server:

Anyone who's interested, please join this server.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You know I'm always down for LOTR RP. Thank you for remembering me and I look forward to seeing if I am able to play. I am also UTC -5/CDT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back