The Force of Justice - OOC Thread

Why do you say that
Mostly because it makes communication very easy, since one can simply share first-hand impressions without much trouble. That said, technology obviously exists, and a phone call gets the job done as well. It was mostly a thought that came to mind between equal choices.

As another remark: If we need three people to get the job done, we should probably make it four and wait for Dreamy, meaning that we might as well go with just two for now. In my post, I only asked Luminary directly because she's in the same 'thought call', but I'd assume she'll share the essentials.

If you all don't mind a Player's opinion, I think Dreamy will be fine (and if she needs advice, she will use her Mind Link to get it). I like Chaser's idea of getting his questions answered now (because there is no guarantee we'll be able to talk with Rachel later). =)

It is hardly the most graceful landing you have ever made, but you have a good excuse since you are flying almost blind with a big armored van in your telekinetic grip.
Sherwood Sherwood

Hey bud!

I think you and I are not on the same page here and I'd like to help get us there. You told me you were comfortable with Dreamy's version of Spatial Awareness being much like Daredevil's Radar Sense - if this is the case, then Dreamy can virtually detect everything around her outside the van (far from "flying almost blind). However, a YouTuber points out that there have been a number of different definitions of Daredevil's Radar Sense over the years (I recommend starting at mark 5:14. The definitions go on for a little over 2 minutes).

My interpretation largely follows what this YouTuber describes in that Daredevil's sense works when all of her other senses fail. But... this is your game, and I'm just a PC in it. For the sake of my enjoyment and so you and I have the same idea about Dreamy's Spatial Awareness, what are you most comfortable with her superpower being able to do?

I feel the sooner we get this nailed down, the more fun I'll have in your already-enjoyable game. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

I see that we can work the power in one of two ways.

First, it is a radar/sonar like sense, and will be blocked by walls and other obstacles around you.

The second has a limited ability to look through objects with a limited amount of Defense to them. You would not be able to read or see color with this, but it can allow you some 'vision' ability outside of normal sight.

What version of this are you thinking of?

Depends. What are the ranges of these senses?

EDIT: Also, which would allow her to see out of this armored van better? =)

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood Short question: How does the rest of the surrounding look like? Are there bystanders, much traffic, anything of note? Basically: I'm wondering if it's a good place to pick a fight, or if it'd be better to let them leave the immediate area first to avoid things from going badly.

There are several people in the area, mostly with cell phone cameras out, thinking it might be a movie since there was a flying van and a missile being shot at it. Others were smarter and cleared out. A handful of cars are blocked by the 'wreck' in the center of the intersection, but from here you don't see anyone inside them.

There are several people in the area, mostly with cell phone cameras out, thinking it might be a movie since there was a flying van and a missile being shot at it.
This once more shows: Even in this heroic world, survival instinct are scarce. Didn't Chaser's streams teach them anything?

See - that's professionalism right there. Hear about the trouble, take the car, get yourself and a handful of others to safety. You even notified the local authorities!

Boy, if only everyone thought that way! (I can't tell you how many times I've heard that, but there is truth in it!) =)

Sherwood Sherwood Short rules question: What's the range of the darkness field? It has a radius, but how far away can I create it? Could I, hypothetically, reach the van with it?

Answers to a couple of questions coming up.

Dannigan Dannigan Your Spatial Awareness has the same by-the-book ranges as normal vision before you start getting penalties to your Perception roll. 0-8 meters is -0, 9-16 meters is a -2, 17- 32 meters is -4, 33-64 meters is -6. Your Spatial Awareness can see through some solid objects, but for every 5 DEF that the object has, it adds an additional -2 to your roll. The prisoner transport van has a DEF of 8, so it gives you an additional -4 to any Perception roll you make through it.

So, while you can see through the van well enough to spot, say, a handful of people on the ground 40 meters ahead of you, you cannot pick out details without a really good Perception roll. Still doable, but hard. Make sense?
Sherwood Sherwood Short rules question: What's the range of the darkness field? It has a radius, but how far away can I create it? Could I, hypothetically, reach the van with it?
Unless specifically said in the power itself, or purchased with Advantages to increase range (or disadvantages to cut it down), the range of all powers except mental ones is Active Points x5. Being able to hit something a few hundred meters out is another question, but since you have an Area Effect on your Darkness, you can put the field over their van and block their vision with it. All you would have to to is hit an effective DCV of 3 to make sure you hit the target hex that you are aiming for.

Your Spatial Awareness has the same by-the-book ranges as normal vision before you start getting penalties to your Perception roll. 0-8 meters is -0, 9-16 meters is a -2, 17- 32 meters is -4, 33-64 meters is -6. Your Spatial Awareness can see through some solid objects, but for every 5 DEF that the object has, it adds an additional -2 to your roll. The prisoner transport van has a DEF of 8, so it gives you an additional -4 to any Perception roll you make through it.

So, while you can see through the van well enough to spot, say, a handful of people on the ground 40 meters ahead of you, you cannot pick out details without a really good Perception roll. Still doable, but hard. Make sense?
I think I understand your helpful explanation.

1. Do you mean "see" or "sense?" Meaning, if Dreamy gets blinded, does this superpower then turn useless? I was hoping for a true Radar Sense that allows her to operate in the dark and senses things around her person (the way bats do or perhaps like the portable motion tracker in Aliens).

2. The DEF-based limitation makes sense. Do all solid objects have a DEF rating? I'm asking because I'd like to know how things like normal glass and the like affect this version of Spatial Awareness.

I think I understand your helpful explanation.

1. Do you mean "see" or "sense?" Meaning, if Dreamy gets blinded, does this superpower then turn useless? I was hoping for a true Radar Sense that allows her to operate in the dark and senses things around her person (the way bats do or perhaps like the portable motion tracker in Aliens).

2. The DEF-based limitation makes sense. Do all solid objects have a DEF rating? I'm asking because I'd like to know how things like normal glass and the like affect this version of Spatial Awareness.
Glad to be of help!

1. One sense can be blinded and not effect any of the others, such as a bright flashbulb going off from a nearby camera will not deafen you. Other things, like a police flashbang, affect both sight and hearing. Your Spatial Awareness is always on, and it does not require you to be blind or deaf to make it work. It can be 'flashed' though, with a mental power-based Flash attack. Then, for the duration of the Flash, you would be mentally 'blind' in that sense. A Darkness field can also be bought to work against mental powers, but that is rare.

2. Yes, everything has a Defense, based on the strength of the materials they are made of. The front armor of an Abrams MBT has 20PD/30ED, a piece of heavy hardwood has 4PD/3ED, concrete walls have 6-7PD, light fiberglass has 4PD/4ED, and other stuff will fall accordingly into this kind of range. Normal glass has a very low DEF to it, so it will not block your Spatial Awareness by very much at all. On the other hand, bulletproof plexiglass will give you minuses to your rolls, depending on how thick it is.

1. One sense can be blinded and not effect any of the others, such as a bright flashbulb going off from a nearby camera will not deafen you. Other things, like a police flashbang, affect both sight and hearing. Your Spatial Awareness is always on, and it does not require you to be blind or deaf to make it work. It can be 'flashed' though, with a mental power-based Flash attack. Then, for the duration of the Flash, you would be mentally 'blind' in that sense. A Darkness field can also be bought to work against mental powers, but that is rare.

O.K. So... it seems that it's not sight or sound-based at all but an additional sense. Does it then work like a motion tracker or something?

Does she detect all around her person at once?

I have a doctor's appointment to get to, but when I get back I can give you some details on that.

O.K. So... it seems that it's not sight or sound-based at all but an additional sense. Does it then work like a motion tracker or something?

Does she detect all around her person at once?
I have returned.

Not really a motion tracker, since you can sense solid, non-moving objects around you. It limits you in the fact that you cannot see color or read writing on a page, but other than that, it is a full on targeting sense that you can use to engage people with your powers.

It can be 360, if you buy it that way. Right now, it is directional, just like your normal sight.

Oh. It's not omni-directional then. Yikes. Okay. Uh, would you let me know what I need to put aside for future reference to make it omni-directional? I'm already in xp debt but if I make a note of it now, I can make her Spatial Awareness omni-directional at some point months in the future.

Oh. It's not omni-directional then. Yikes. Okay. Uh, would you let me know what I need to put aside for future reference to make it omni-directional? I'm already in xp debt but if I make a note of it now, I can make her Spatial Awareness omni-directional at some point months in the future.
It would be 4 more points than what the power costs you now.

I'll make a note of all this. Thanks for the shop talk, Sherwood! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back