The Force of Justice - OOC Thread

Epiphany Epiphany So... what was your Character's M.O.S. prior to joining Army Special Forces? And did she join Green Berets or some other comic book secret squirrel outfit? =) I love that she speaks Arabic and Spanish! =)

D. Rex D. Rex Your Character is something like Iron Man, right? Would you mind if, when our Characters first meet, my naive Character (having no concept of a human inside of a powered suit) sees yours as a robot until he speaks, then she gets all stirred up thinking he is a human "trapped" inside of a robot? I was thinking this might lead to a comical and telling scene as my Character tries in vain to open his armor to help "free" him since he needs to eat, excrete, and breathe until someone explains that he's perfectly O.K. in there? (Or if you wanted to be mean, you could leave her in the dark, but I hope that doesn't happen).

D. Rex D. Rex Your Character is something like Iron Man, right? Would you mind if, when our Characters first meet, my naive Character (having no concept of a human inside of a powered suit) sees yours as a robot until he speaks, then she gets all stirred up thinking he is a human "trapped" inside of a robot? I was thinking this might lead to a comical and telling scene as my Character tries in vain to open his armor to help "free" him since he needs to eat, excrete, and breathe until someone explains that he's perfectly O.K. in there? (Or if you wanted to be mean, you could leave her in the dark, but I hope that doesn't happen).

Actually! He was more similar to Mr. Freeze when I made him im concept. Sure Victor's staple was his freeze ray, but it was easy to forget that his mechanical suit was top of the line and was strong and tanky enough that Batman couldn't easily go head to toe with him.

Though as scaled up as Colt is, now Ironman seems to be the most accurate comparison, though with a more elemental focus. And while the base design of his suit is common where he is from, Colt has upgraded it to a great degree to make it as powerful as it is now.

I aimed for asthetic similarities since Mr. Freeze was always my favorite villain. Even giving Colt some goggle to protect his sensitive eyes from the sun. His helmet is of the bubble variety, like one might have seen in comic space suits. So Dreamy might be able to see his face if he doesn't have the glass tinted. Of course if she does, it might very well reinforce the idea that he can't breath or eat.

Lol I think it would be a very comic scene to play out. Looking forward to that!

As a side note: Yes, he knows where her eyes are. He is just seeing how anatomically similar she is to humans. You know... for science.

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood @Psychie

Ack. Then I saw this. The "Champions Complete" (black + white paperback with PDF for $30.00). Amazon has the colorized book for $22.00. I want to understand the rules and powers, etc. (so they don't have to be explained to me again and again). So many options, but now I think this one is the one to get?

I have learned that there are shipping charges for the black + white paperback that make the total cost a bit unreasonable for me ($6.39 for 3-4 week delivery via USPS Media Mail or $14.00+ for UPS Ground for almost as long). I've ordered the color book from Amazon and it should be here by Thursday. Thanks for the feedback, Sherwood and Psychie!

Also a disclaimer: I just have to point out that just because I'm buying these books doesn't mean a bit that I think any less of those who won't or can't. I'm just grateful that I can. I have definitely been in the position of being unable to before. (So please don't think I'm one of those "holier than thou" jerks who try to rub it in that they can get something for a game - any game - whenever they want. Those folks can take a long walk off of a short pier. In wintertime when the lake is cold and so forth. =) ).

I think I'm finally done with Dreamy's Character Sheet. I've recently added "Moments in Time" section along with a couple more songs to "Inspirations." I added and edited her history and the RP questions I answered for her. At some point, I intend (with Sherwood's help) to put spoilers containing the descriptions of her Powers. Thanks for the heart, Pips! Epiphany Epiphany Makes me feel good! =)

Finally, if anyone wants any help creating their Character or any aspect that doesn't require Hero mechanics, but instead requires ideas or just a good long brainstorm, let me know? I have the time at the moment and (like Dreamy) I do like helping folks! =)

Lol I think it would be a very comic scene to play out. Looking forward to that!

As a side note: Yes, he knows her eyes are. He is just seeing how anatomically similar she is to humans. You know... for science.

Re: Scene. Terrific! Thanks for being open to the idea!

Re: Eyes. I missed something. He knows her eyes are... what?

Re: Mister Freeze. I never saw the movie, but if you say Mister Freeze is a fun and interesting villain, then hey! If I get my hands on the movie, I might watch it sometime. I've only seen the first Batman movies. =)

If you have the time and desire (and if you haven't already), would you go over my Character Sheet? I updated it tonight and I want to make sure it's right for your universe.

I will, but it probably won't be tonight. I have an early morning and need to get to bed soon.

Sleep well when it's your turn! Let me know if there's something I can do to help out here. =)

Epiphany Epiphany So... what was your Character's M.O.S. prior to joining Army Special Forces? And did she join Green Berets or some other comic book secret squirrel outfit? =) I love that she speaks Arabic and Spanish! =)

She was a straightforward 11B Infantryman. Grew up speaking Spanish at home, learned English in school with fellow students, picked up Arabic while working towards qualifying as an 18x Special Forces candidate. She might have formally qualified, if not for the incident that led to the revelation of her super powers.

As such, Sergeant Bryony Santos was never a 'formal' member of the Army Special Forces but was often a resource deployed for the kinds of missions the Green Berets drew. Most of the time, she worked within an actual Green Beret squad, where she was typically treated like the unit's 'heavy weapon' element. Breeching an enemy compound is a lot easier when a team member can literally punch through it and then draw enemy fire while the Special Forces team picked off the defenders.

"Of course, this is only a hypothetical example. All of the work Sergeant Bryony Santos performed for Special Operations is naturally classified. No statement on the kind of work she may have done should be viewed as an inference to either actual work performed or specific military incidents. Formal media or legal inquests should direct their questions to the Judge Advocate General's Corp."

"Of course, this is only a hypothetical example. All of the work Sergeant Bryony Santos performed for Special Operations is naturally classified. No statement on the kind of work she may have done should be viewed as an inference to either actual work performed or specific military incidents. Formal media or legal inquests should direct their questions to the Judge Advocate General's Corp."

This made me laugh out loud!

Now, Sgt. Santos is better known to the public as Lady Justice and she has a following of sorts via this Perk? Positive Reputation: "Captain America" (Large Group); 14-, +3/+3d6 / 9

Are the rest of us likely to have heard of Lady Justice? If so, what are we likely to know about her and does she seem like the kind of person who is genuinely promoting what she's promoting, or does it seem like she's one of those who is doing it because she's being told to (you know those commercials where someone famous is trying to sell you something? Some seem like they really believe in their product but you can tell others are totally not in it for whatever reason? Where does Lady Justice fall into this, assuming some of us have seen her promotions?)

Re: Scene. Terrific! Thanks for being open to the idea!

Re: Eyes. I missed something. He knows her eyes are... what?

Re: Mister Freeze. I never saw the movie, but if you say Mister Freeze is a fun and interesting villain, then hey! If I get my hands on the movie, I might watch it sometime. I've only seen the first Batman movies. =)

I forgot to put "where". He knows where her eyes are. He just isn't looking at them.

As in her method of dress is going to be pretty distracting.

I can neither confirm nor deny any reports on this subject.

Lol Great stuff, Pips!

This made me laugh out loud!

Now, Sgt. Santos is better known to the public as Lady Justice and she has a following of sorts via this Perk? Positive Reputation: "Captain America" (Large Group); 14-, +3/+3d6 / 9

Are the rest of us likely to have heard of Lady Justice? If so, what are we likely to know about her and does she seem like the kind of person who is genuinely promoting what she's promoting, or does it seem like she's one of those who is doing it because she's being told to (you know those commercials where someone famous is trying to sell you something? Some seem like they really believe in their product but you can tell others are totally not in it for whatever reason? Where does Lady Justice fall into this, assuming some of us have seen her promotions?)

Good questions. Which reminds me to update the character sheet.

Lady Justice is a superhero involved in her share of superheroics over the past two years. Thanks to the efforts of her PR team, her actions have been well advertised. Some examples probably include: Stopped a runaway train with her hands, has helped with disaster relief within/without the US (moving earthquake-collapsed buildings off of trapped civilians, picking up flooded houses and walking them to higher ground, etc.), tussled with half a dozen villains/antagonists in spectacular fashion, the usual. She's also known for visiting sick kids in hospitals, giving motivational speeches in government-sponsored school programs (particularly supporting the military), and various fluffy functions. And of course, she's done commercials.

I don't have a sense of how 'crowded' this setting is with other superheroes doing similar things. I imagine she's one of a number, although she may be the only active superhero promoting the armed services (I would imagine most people with super powers don't sign up for a life of taking orders, and most people in the military who gain super powers probably remain with the military). Whether or not any of the player characters have heard of her is mostly up to you. Personal anecdote: About once a month, I learn about a 'celebrity' with a million followers or big in the music scene or whatever who has apparently been around for years with a huge fanbase who I've literally never heard of until an AP article covers them and it makes my news feed. More than ever, the US is moving away from a monoculture where everyone has at least a few shows, music, celebrities in common. In short, no issue from me whether any of the PCs have heard of her or not.

She is publicly known as Lady Justice but it's 'public' knowledge that she's Sergeant Bryony Santos, due to a few 'slips' (i.e. when a sick kid asked her for her name, she gave it, Bry's personal social media shows her current career as 'volunteering' with a number of check-ins or geographic-sensitive posts lining up with Lady Justice appearances, a few of her cousins told their friends who told their friends who told a reporter that she's Lady Justice, etc.).

Interesting question about authenticity. I see Lady Justice as a good but not great actor. Which is to say, her commercial and product promotional work looks 'real' in terms of vocal inflection, body language, smile lines and so on. But anyone who has ever watched her or seen a video of her talking about how enlisting in the military changed her life, or how there are opportunities out there for Latino kids, or how important it is to be tight with your family and avoid the lure of gangs or drugs, those are the moments she's completely genuine and watching a speech vs. a commercial side by side, it's pretty obvious she's not passionate about pretty much anything they have her promote. Good enough to make money for her corporate handlers and fool the casual viewer but 30 minutes on YouTube by someone trying to make the comparison would be enough to see the difference.

If I need to move a skill around, Sherwood, to represent being good at public speaking and capable of acting, let me know and we'll see what we need to shift. Unless those things aren't going to come up in game, in which case it doesn't matter. :) It's backstory color more than something I plan to do a lot of on a superhero team with other PCs.

Gotta say, the stuff that I read here and over in the character thread gets me a little excited. Great stuff, folks!

As a side note, my own character sheet is in the works, thanks to Sherwood figuring out how to actually turn points into the character I'm envisioning. More to come soonish. Maybe. Hopefully, Probably depending on how quickly I can decide what I'm actually going for. Poor Sherwood. Tried to type up some of the background just now, figured I might as well throw it out here. So if anyone feels like reading a first, rough draft, feel free to take a look.

It's hard to say when things went wrong, exactly. At first, there was nothing suspicious at all. A grim, scraggy man came by to drop off a book, older than both of their life spans combined. But that wasn't hard, since Nisha's not that old. And not so unusual, since that's what people did. Drop off books that they couldn't read. In hopes that Nisha could read them, translate them, since that's what she did. Translating. Reading. To pay the bills, and for fun. Good times, back then. Easy times. The man promised to call within the next few days, but never did, because that's how these rich people were. They left books worth a fortune at her place, and then didn't care to tell her what to do about it.

So nothing special, only that the man had an acceptable excuse, for once. He was dead. Maybe for the best that he didn't call after that. Of course, she didn't learn about that until much later. At first, it only left her with too much time on a Sunday afternoon, with an ancient book waiting to be read. That's what she did, after all, right? Reading, translating. Even nonsense like that. So she got a headstart, a brief overview, in preparation for what the man surely wanted.

It was a mess. A dozen different tongues, some of them unknown to her. Cryptic runes, unsettling pictures. And a letter, in the very end, in the kind of Latin that grim, scraggy people apparently like to use. A plea within, to do what she was just doing; to read, until she'd understand. And to be wary, very wary, because the nonsense within would attract attention. Just what she needed. She put the book on the shelf, ready to let time slowly cover it in dust. It didn't work. The man, before his death, had made a single good choice, at last. Like the owner before him, and all those before. Some curious people can't let a book gather dust in peace, not one that's as far off the norm as this one. They are attracted to nonsense, and willing to waste a few bucks on candles and chalk to ruin the carpet and have a good time.

Only that it wasn't a waste, but an investment. Latin words shattered reality. Old Greek twisted the remains. Egyptian glued them back together. And that evening, she didn't feel tired. Of course, that was stupid. Just the imagination of a mind that wanted the nonsense ritual to work. Well, it did, and didn't, at the same time. On the third day, she had to take a short nap, after all. On the seventh, she slept for a couple of hours. In-between, she read, and translated, as always. And bought more candles. Overcame hunger, and her own doubts. Her cousin Linda worried, but she always did. Rightfully, this time, only that it wasn't the lack of appetite, but the kind of thing that happened in her backyard that should've worried her. Ants died, first one, then a couple more. Eaten by shadows that followed commands, whispered so that noone would call Nisha a fool. After that experiment, she understood the truth. That perhaps, this kind of nonsense would indeed attract attention. So she prepared. She read, and translated, and read some more, and tried a few things that seemed to somewhat work. But she couldn't tell. Because thin air doesn't tell you if it would have died, given a heart, and lungs, and all that junk. Or whether it would've just died a little, like the words did promise. Or not at all, because the shadows were just shadows that time.

So one evening, she left her house. She went where she never went, through streets that few ever walked. There were reasons, and she found one. He was huge, and way too proud of himself that the boy in front of him shuddered with fear. The shadows killed him just a little - nothing that she couldn't fix later on, given first aid training. The boy ran, as expected. Didn't even ask for a name. Nisha chose one on the way home, when the shadows vanished, the sun climbed the sky, and the world seemed just a little brighter. Dawn, she called herself. Because it sounded poetic, and she liked it better than 'bookworm', 'translator' or 'Reader of the book of Theben'. Or sphinx, because the book had warned her to use that name. It attracted attention, because there had always been only one, and there would always be one, until one fulfilled his or her purpose. The old man hadn't. Nisha likely won't. But with every generation, a few spells are added. And even if the ultimate goal is still far, they'll do some good along the way.

Epiphany Epiphany Thanks for the well-thought-out answers! I think Santos is someone I can respect as a Player and someone whom my Character would enjoy long chats with. Dreamy has only recently learned what soldiers are (her own people don't have any and this is the life it appears that has taken up most of Santos's existence up until now). Dreamy has only been on Earth for a few (very active) months and she remains filled with curiosity. Santos sounds like the kind of person who is down-to-earth and compassionate enough to provide accurate answers sans the romantic and dramatic notions the military and Hollywood often drum up soldering to be. I also think that our Characters would get along in another realm of life - they both try to help people, kids especially.

Concerning the personal anecdote, I can totally relate with what you describe.

I especially like the heroic things you mention her doing with her superpowers. It's a great-enough thing to give of oneself, but to do it in a way that goes well-beyond the reach of normal humans helps me as a Player. This is the first time I've played in a superhero setting in literally decades, while Sherwood and Psychie seem well-immersed in HERO Champions. I have a great deal of questions (and I am especially glad of the relationship Sherwood and I enjoy as he is probably used to my own intense curiosity and willingness to follow it with a great many questions, all of which are important to me. Being a longtime GM myself, I think it has been too long that I've tried out a completely new system (I've largely forgotten what I know of the HERO system). Collecting the books, playing in an RP where folks are about as new as I am, and sharing it all together is a very positive way to spend what free time I have in 2021. =)

I am always glad to be of assistance to you guys, and yes Dann, I am quite used to your hyperactive mind asking a thousand questions and making me think more and more about my game world than I would have normally.

Just to clarify, that is not a bad thing to me; but it makes me really dig deep into my head to make up the details of the world that I had not considered before. Good stuff all around, so keep those questions coming!

You might regret those words, mate. They almost ask to get exploited and swamped by tons of pointless questions. Even now, I'm thinking what kind of absurdity I could ask... then again, maybe I should take a look at our conversation first and move things forward...

You might regret those words, mate. They almost ask to get exploited and swamped by tons of pointless questions. Even now, I'm thinking what kind of absurdity I could ask... then again, maybe I should take a look at our conversation first and move things forward...
LoL I was about to add to that PM to ask what you'd prefer to do with a couple of extra points I have for you.

Silanon Silanon

Gotta say, the stuff that I read here and over in the character thread gets me a little excited. Great stuff, folks!

Thank you for having an interest in something I've made! I'm a longtime believer that you get out of games what you put into them, and I have never been truly satisfied with anything but the well-made Character in the long-term campaign surrounded by like-minded people who genuinely give a damn not only about themselves, but each other. I feel excited to see what everyone rolls up, where we go with it, how we work together to overcome challenges, and play in this world together. =)

Re: rough draft background (just one player's opinion here).

1. Do you mean "scraggly?" I don't know what "scraggy" means and I can't find a definition for it.

2. I like the suspense the writing brings to the reader. It works without being too much or too deep.

3. I just love this line for it is greatly telling, at least on the surface, and that telling produces wonder.

The man, before his death, had made a single good choice, at last.

4. Here is where I lose my grip on the story. Is one boy bullying another? How did the shadows "kill him just a little"? It is one thing to be mysterious, but I find myself wanting a few details so I can follow the rest. As written, this feels like a deep pothole along an otherwise smooth road through a delightfully-murky forest. =)

So one evening, she left her house. She went where she never went, through streets that few ever walked. There were reasons, and she found one. He was huge, and way too proud of himself that the boy in front of him shuddered with fear. The shadows killed him just a little - nothing that she couldn't fix later on, given first aid training. The boy ran, as expected.

5. And now I am more lost. Are Dawn and Nisha the same person? Did Nisha summon Dawn? Has Nisha become a spellcaster? What is going on?
Didn't even ask for a name. Nisha chose one on the way home, when the shadows vanished, the sun climbed the sky, and the world seemed just a little brighter. Dawn, she called herself. Because it sounded poetic, and she liked it better than 'bookworm', 'translator' or 'Reader of the book of Theben'. Or sphinx, because the book had warned her to use that name. It attracted attention, because there had always been only one, and there would always be one, until one fulfilled his or her purpose. The old man hadn't. Nisha likely won't. But with every generation, a few spells are added. And even if the ultimate goal is still far, they'll do some good along the way.

That's my take on it, good Sil, but as always, I'm just one mind among many here. Maybe everyone else understands these things while it's just me left out in the fog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back