The Force of Justice - OOC Thread

I'm also trying to get the advantages and limitations rightly ordered in my variable power pool. I would like to be able to use a 75 CP power in addition to something else, which if I understand correctly will require my limitations to be greater than my advantages.
Just remember that on a VPP, you are dealing with Active Points being dropped to Real Cost to determine the number of powers you can have. If you have any questions, I can be a sounding board that won't snitch to Sherwood!

Sherwood Sherwood I just started reading your basic HERO rules explanation and I (already) have a (serious) question:

On a to-hit roll, the base target is 11-, plus your OCV / OMCV minus the target's DCV / DMCV. Lets give an example using two of your own characters: Luminary and Lady Justice. If Luminary were to level off her Standard Blast at LJ, her OCV with levels comes out to 11 OCV, giving a 22 or less to hit. Lady Justice is not going to just stand there and take it, though. When keeping mobile and trying not to be hit, her DCV is a base of 8, giving Luminary a 16- to hit.

Luminary's Standard Blast is 22 or less (Base target + 11 OCV). Lady Justice's DCV is a base of 8 (which is subtracted from Luminary's total, yes?). How then does Luminary get a 16 when 22 minus 8 is 14? Did I miss something?

Psychie is right. Also, if you want to get the official word and not some crazy lady's idea of a character, come talk to me.

Love you, Psy!

Just remember that on a VPP, you are dealing with Active Points being dropped to Real Cost to determine the number of powers you can have. If you have any questions, I can be a sounding board that won't snitch to Sherwood!
I appreciate it, but I'm not totally distrusting of him. I definitely would appreciate as many assessments of the sheet as I can get, though.

Sherwood Sherwood I just started reading your basic HERO rules explanation and I (already) have a (serious) question:

Luminary's Standard Blast is 22 or less (Base target + 11 OCV). Lady Justice's DCV is a base of 8 (which is subtracted from Luminary's total, yes?). How then does Luminary get a 16 when 22 minus 8 is 14? Did I miss something?
Did I screw up my math already? Damn. Blame my education. You are correct, sir.

I think I get the core concept.

What happens if the success number is 22-? Would that mean a 3d6 will always hit?

I think I get the core concept.

What happens if the success number is 22-? Would that mean a 3d6 will always hit?
If you roll a 18, you still screw the pooch. But yes, in most cases if you have a roll of 22- on a skill, you won't need to roll unless it is to see just how much you succeed by.

On a Combat roll, you still have the target's DCV subtracting from your 22-, making it much lower (in most cases)

Did I screw up my math already? Damn. Blame my education. You are correct, sir.

Thank you, sir. You have the benefit of knowing we're paying attention!

Question #2:

The final DCV modifier is to Abort your next Action and Dodge. A normal Dodge gives you +3 DCV vs. all attacks until your next Action. But Lady Justice has Martial Dodge! That gives a +5 to her DCV! So long as you have not acted on that phase you can dodge. An example of that would be Lady Justice has a six Speed, so she goes on Phases 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12. If she is attacked by a mook on Phase 5 and she really doesn't want to be hit for some reason, she can Abort her action on 6 to Dodge and get that +5 to her DCV, which will last for her until her action on Phase 8.

So Lady Justice keeps her +5 bonus to DCV against that single attack until her action on Phase 8 (say, if the bad guy delays or whatever) or does Lady Justice have a +5 bonus to DCV against all dodge-able attacks against her until Phase 8?

So Lady Justice keeps her +5 bonus to DCV against that single attack until her action on Phase 8 (say, if the bad guy delays or whatever) or does Lady Justice have a +5 bonus to DCV against all dodge-able attacks against her until Phase 8?
When you dodge, it affects all attacks, but an Area of Effect shot can still bone you.

IIRC, there was the option to be able to try and Dive for Cover out of an AoE attack in 5e using Acrobatics. I'll look in the 6e book to see if I can find that in there, too.

Re: Dodge. Okay!

The next step is to check this damage against Lady Justice's Constitution score. If the Stun damage past her defense is more than her Con, she is Stunned and is at 1/2 DCV until her next action and has to use her Action to clear her head to regain her composure. Lucky for our heroine, she has a Con of 25 so Luminary's 18 Stun does not Stun her.

Okay, so either a Stun-based attack stuns or it does nothing?

Is it possible for Luminary to "wear down" Lady Justice's Stun defenses with repeated blasts or does this combination of DCV and Constitution score act as a AD&D "Armor Class" whereas if Luminary never gets above Lady Justice's defense, Lady Justice is not harmed at all?

Does Stun always last for the Character's next Action or can it last longer (short of unconsciousness)?

Okay, so either a Stun-based attack stuns or it does nothing?
Are you referring to the Mind Blast doing only Stun damage? A normal attack can still do damage without going over the target's Constitution score, whittling them down until they are unconscious when they reach negative Stun.
Is it possible for Luminary to "wear down" Lady Justice's Stun defenses with repeated blasts or does this combination of DCV and Constitution score act as a AD&D "Armor Class" whereas if Luminary never gets above Lady Justice's defense, Lady Justice is not harmed at all?
In this case, if we are to assume that she has enough Mental Defense to shrug off your attacks. You would be well suited to try your Drain. That goes against the ability known as Power Defense, and that is rare. Look at the number of characters in this game and see how many of them have Power Defense.
Does Stun always last for the Character's next Action or can it last longer (short of unconsciousness)?
If you are Stunned, it is only until your next action. Then you are back up to full DCV.

Are you referring to the Mind Blast doing only Stun damage? A normal attack can still do damage without going over the target's Constitution score, whittling them down until they are unconscious when they reach negative Stun.

No, but your answer satisfies my question (either a Stun attack stuns or it doesn't). A Normal Attack, however, can whittle down one's defenses leaving them more open to be Stunned.

Question on Mind Blast. The Mind Blast does only Stun damage. Stun damage therefore cannot kill? It can only stun or knock an opponent unconscious?

What happens if an unconscious target is hit with more Stun damage (and that Stun damage gets through the unconscious target's defenses)?

There is also Damage Negation. This power is currently only used by Nisha, and it works like this: it reduces the number of Damage Classes (a DC is 1d6 of Normal damage and 1/3 of a Killing strike) by one per 5 CP spent. Nisha has 20 points of DN going on, so she drops a Normal Attack by 2d6 before it hits her PD or ED.

Does this mean it costs 5 CP (Character Points?) for a Damage Negation of 10 (she used 10 CP for 20 Points of DN)?

If DN reduces a Damage Class of 1d6 vs. Normal Damage and 1/3 of a Killing Strike, does Nisha's DN reduce a Killing Strike by another 1/3 (for a total of 2/3)?

Does Damage Negation work against all types of damage?

(Sorry if I seem to be spamming questions. I'm trying to keep a few minutes between questions in case anyone else has some. Please let me know if I'm asking too many. This 6th Edition HERO system is intriguing and thought-provoking, but I'll hold back if someone else wants to step in?)

Question on Mind Blast. The Mind Blast does only Stun damage. Stun damage therefore cannot kill? It can only stun or knock an opponent unconscious?
Normally the Mind Blast is totally non-lethal, and does no Body damage. There is an Advantage called Does Body which would double the cost of each die (it is a +1 Advantage) but then it would be capable of killing your target. Very nasty, mental attacks that do Body. Kinda like the scene in Scanners where the guy gets his head blown up.
What happens if an unconscious target is hit with more Stun damage (and that Stun damage gets through the unconscious target's defenses)?
When a target is knocked out by having all of his or her Stun depleted, if they are in the -1 to -10 Stun range, they get a Recovery (equal to their REC stat) of their Stun on every on of their Phases and on Post-Segment 12 when everyone gets a free one. In the -11 to -20 range, they only get their Recovery on Post-Segment 12. In the -21 to -30 range, the target only gets a Recovery once a minute. Below -30 you wake up when I say you do.

There are ways to speed this along. Having another character shake or slap the person can help provide a Recovery as they try to revive their fallen comrade. A healing power, such as Aid to Stun, can raise up a person from negative levels faster.

One thing about being knocked out is that your personal Endurance is also reduced to zero, and when you wake up, this End supply needs to be replenished by taking more Recoveries or you literally have no energy to move or fight. I believe that all of you guys have the power End Reserve purchased for your characters. This End supply does not get reduced to zero, and is at whatever level you had it at before you were KO'd.
Does this mean it costs 5 CP (Character Points?) for a Damage Negation of 10 (she used 10 CP for 20 Points of DN)?
Damage Negation costs 5 CP and can be bought for Physical Defense, Energy Defense and Mental Defense. That single 5 point purchase must be declared right away, and cannot change after it is bought. Silanon has it purchased four times, twice for PD and twice for ED. It is not required to balance out the PD and ED purchase; for example, Luminary could buy just ED Damage Negation to represent her inherent resistance to energy attacks.

(Sorry if I seem to be spamming questions. I'm trying to keep a few minutes between questions in case anyone else has some. Please let me know if I'm asking too many. This 6th Edition HERO system is intriguing and thought-provoking, but I'll hold back if someone else wants to step in?)
Don't worry about asking too many questions. I am sure that you are helping out other people with questions that you are bringing up.

QuickSmasherEXE QuickSmasherEXE I think the first tab of the Character Sheet looks really cool!

Does your Character speak Arabic? If so, perhaps he and Lady Justice can share conversations in Arabic?

I think the combination of illusionist and computer geek is a new one to me! Many folks in the computer industry are very creative people (especially the gaming industry) and what's a good illusionist if not creative? Does his family know he's an illusionist?

Has Steve ever used his illusory powers on an IT client? Has he ever tricked a client for their own good? "Yes, sir. Your son needs to stay off of the Dark Web and going to those naughty sites and downloading all of those naughty things. If you let him keep doing this, I'm just going to have to continue charging you for cleaning out the rubbish he's putting onto your hard drive." (This scene is based off of a Real Life situation I witnessed. Has Steve ever done anything like the following?). "Yes, sir. I'm sorry to hear your son ran into those Russian cybersecurity agents during his visit to the Dark Web. Yes, sir. I believe their warnings about him staying out of there should be followed to the letter. May I recommend you take back your computer from him before he gets a visit from those authorities in person?" =)

Is Steve's dad one of the reasons he is into computers or illusions or both or neither?

* * *​

Sherwood Sherwood
Kinda like the scene in Scanners where the guy gets his head blown up.

I was just thinking about that scene the other day!

When a target is knocked out by having all of his or her Stun depleted, if they are in the -1 to -10 Stun range, they get a Recovery (equal to their REC stat) of their Stun on every on of their Phases and on Post-Segment 12 when everyone gets a free one. In the -11 to -20 range, they only get their Recovery on Post-Segment 12. In the -21 to -30 range, the target only gets a Recovery once a minute. Below -30 you wake up when I say you do.

So if we manage to knock out a Big Bad, it might be worth it to nail them again with a Stun effect to keep them down?

One thing about being knocked out is that your personal Endurance is also reduced to zero, and when you wake up, this End supply needs to be replenished by taking more Recoveries or you literally have no energy to move or fight. I believe that all of you guys have the power End Reserve purchased for your characters. This End supply does not get reduced to zero, and is at whatever level you had it at before you were KO'd.

Talk about good to know! All three of those paragraphs look like solid gold.

If DN reduces a Damage Class of 1d6 vs. Normal Damage and 1/3 of a Killing Strike, does Nisha's DN reduce a Killing Strike by another 1/3 (for a total of 2/3)?

And if this is true, does having 15 CP worth of DN towards a single damage type negate Killing Strikes (3/3)?

Are Killing Strikes attacks that go after BODY or is this something different?

So if we manage to knock out a Big Bad, it might be worth it to nail them again with a Stun effect to keep them down?
An entirely reasonable thing to do.
And if this is true, does having 15 CP worth of DN towards a single damage type negate Killing Strikes (3/3)?
It would reduce the first 3 DC of the Killing Strike. Using Luminary as an example, she has a 5d6 Ranged Killing Attack. Each d6 of RKA cost 15 points, and count as three Damage Classes. If you had 15 CP of DN, it would drop her attack to do just 4d6 before being applied to the Energy Defense of the target.
Are Killing Strikes attacks that go after BODY or is this something different?
To compare Normal vs. Killing strikes might be best summed up as, a Normal attack is a fist punching you in the gut, while a Killing strike is when you pull a knife or a sword. Yes, you can be beaten to death by pummeling, but it is harder to kill someone with your bare hands than it is with a blade.

I think the first tab of the Character Sheet looks really cool!
Thank you, although it could still probably use some work.
Does your Character speak Arabic? If so, perhaps he and Lady Justice can share conversations in Arabic?
Unfortunately no. He can only speak English and somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 words of Gujarati.
Is Steve's dad one of the reasons he is into computers or illusions or both or neither?
Neither, I would say.
Does his family know he's an illusionist?
I'm not quite sure, actually. I had it down as a complication but decided not to include it just yet.

The fact that he can project illusions into people's heads is essentially coincidental. Whatever reason he has that power has very little bearing on how he uses it or his life up that point. For all that it really matters, he could have just woken up one day and been able to do it, and that day would probably have been pretty recently. I liked the contrast between his absurd comrades and his own utter normalcy, weird powers aside. He's a regular IT guy who is thrust into heroics, and I'm not quite sure how the rest of his life will interact with that idea just yet.
Has Steve ever used his illusory powers on an IT client? Has he ever tricked a client for their own good? "Yes, sir. Your son needs to stay off of the Dark Web and going to those naughty sites and downloading all of those naughty things. If you let him keep doing this, I'm just going to have to continue charging you for cleaning out the rubbish he's putting onto your hard drive." (This scene is based off of a Real Life situation I witnessed. Has Steve ever done anything like the following?). "Yes, sir. I'm sorry to hear your son ran into those Russian cybersecurity agents during his visit to the Dark Web. Yes, sir. I believe their warnings about him staying out of there should be followed to the letter. May I recommend you take back your computer from him before he gets a visit from those authorities in person?" =)
Funny, but Steve hasn't really worked as a contractor, so perhaps not that exact scenario. And as mentioned earlier, it's probably a power he's only had for a little while. That said, one would be mistaken to assume he will perform no pranks using it.

Users who are viewing this thread