The Force of Justice - IC Thread

Phoenix, Arizona, 1500 hours - The Terranaut

The fighting was over, and now all that was left was the clean up. Inferno had led a band of mole men against a research facility, but was met by extreme prejudice on the part of Terranaut, thanks to the seismic sensor network that tracked their movements through the Earth towards the surface. During the fighting, Terranaut was joined by Blue Bolt, a electrokinetic that can teleport long distances and hurl lightning at his foes, and Skate, a teenage girl that is one of the most powerful telekinetics on the planet, both members of the Force of Justice. Between the three of you, you were able to beat back the attack and send Inferno and a handful of his lackeys running.

As you are working to aid the various first responders in rounding up injured mole men and rescuing the handful of injured bystanders, Blue Bolt comes up to Terranaut with a smile and offers up a handshake. "That was some fine work there, sir. I am impressed." He looks over at Skate as she uses one of her telekinetic fields to lift up a multi-ton pile of rock to make way for a handful of fire trucks and an ambulance, then says, "While it is not being advertised yet, we are looking for a handful of good people to work with us in a new headquarters that we are building in San Francisco. We've been keeping an eye out for a few good recruits, and your name is on the short list to join us in our new offices on the west coast."

He looks at you expectantly, obviously waiting for the slew of questions that are about to come pouring out.

San Francisco, California, 2215 hours - Luminary

Flying above the city, a faint glowing trail of light illuminates your backtrail as you move above the city's skyline towards the observatory located in the mountains to the east. Things have been quiet in the city for the past several weeks, which is a good thing, because it has given you the chance to get caught up on your work charting newly discovered planets around distant stars.

While you are flying along, a sudden flare of light below you draws your attention as a flaming woman arcs her way up from the rooftops below and heads in your direction. It doesn't take you long to recognize her; it is Lady Liberty, the head of the Force of Justice and one of the most photographed members of the New York based team. She comes up alongside you, waves in a friendly manner, then she motions for you to follow her, then she turns and flies down towards the buildings below.

Assuming you follow her down, there is a man sitting down on the edge of one of the rooftops that stands up with a smile and nod. You know this man to be The American Spirit, a flying strong man and fellow member of the Force of Justice. He waits with Lady Liberty for you to land, then he offers up his hand. "Luminary. It is good to meet you. I have seen many news reports about the lovely lady before me, but the stories don't do you justice. You are truly a sight to behold."

Lady Liberty rolls her eyes as her fellow team member flirts with you, then says, "Keep it zipped, Spirit. We are here on business." The flaming woman's fire dies down to reveal a pretty blonde in a skintight suit of red and gold. Looking at you, she says, "Luminary, we are here in San Francisco for a reason. The Force of Justice has been working on a new facility a few miles away from here, one that will soon be home to a satellite branch of the FoJ, with the mandate to keep an eye on things in the western half of the country. Right now, we are building up the roster of this new team, and we would like it if you would consider signing on to be a part of this team. There are many perks that would go along with such a membership, but the decision must be completely voluntary."

San Diego, California, 0900 hours, Lady Justice

It is at Rady Children's Hospital that we find Lady Justice all decked out in her hero outfit, but she is not there to face off against some violent foe, but instead she is there to visit the children in an effort to raise their spirits in their time of sickness. Her appearance here has really lit the place up, and the kids are all going nuts to meet this national heroine, along with many of the hospital staff.

There is no press here to record this visit, since it was an impromptu decision to make the stop, but after a few phone calls to the hospital administration, they gave you the green light to come and make the rounds. Despite the heartbreak of seeing the sick and injured kids, some of which are not doing very well, their happiness at seeing you is more than enough to raise your own spirits and get you feeling great.

As the visit is coming to an end, the hospital administrator is once more thanking Bryony for the wondrous gift of her time, you can see a pair of people that obviously stand out from the crowd; one is a man in a dark suit with a look about him that just screams 'FED!' to you. The second is a woman in a set of Army BDUs with the rank tabs of a 1st Lieutenant. Something about the woman looks familiar to you, but you just can't place it. They both stand back and let you talk to the hospital staff, waiting patiently to speak with you.

Once you are ready to leave, the man offers up smile. "Ma'am? I am Agent Brune of the Department of Superhuman Affairs, and this is Lt. Maya Reeves. Could we have a few moments of your time? We tried to call ahead, but your cell phone must be set on silent mode."

Los Angeles, California, 1900 hours, Dreamy Starborn

Currently sporting a designer dress and high heels, Dreamy is in the process of wrapping up a modeling shoot for some sort of perfume advertising campaign. The details escape you; that is why you have an agent, after all. You just remember being told how this would help your career as a model, putting your photo out there for many people to be able to see. A real jump for you.

Now back in a more 'relaxed' outfit, you look out the doors of the hotel where the shoot was taking place to see a heavy rainstorm coming down. As you go outside under the awning and get ready to take off into the night, a unremarkable black car that has been sitting there opens a door and out comes a man in a black suit. Popping an umbrella open, he steps forward and flashes some Id. "Ms. Dreamy? I am Agent Dan Phillips of the Department of Superhuman Affairs. Can I offer you a ride where we can talk?"

Las Vegas, Nevada, 0800 hours, NIsha Lewis

The line at the Starbucks to get your morning coffee was unusually long today, and it seems to be taking forever to move. Hell, don't these baristas understand that you need your coffee or lives will be lost? Well, it may not be that bad, but you've been up for over a week straight studying a particularly bizarre passage in The Book, and it is getting harder and harder to keep your eyes open.

Finally, you get a hold of your double shot of espresso and slide into a seat, hoping for a few moment of peace while you wait for your drink to cool enough to avoid a burnt mouth when everything in the Starbucks stops. Everything, down to the dark liquid being poured out of the carafe at the counter in front of you and the chatter of the other patrons, well, the few that did not have their noses buried in their cell phones or laptops. Needless to say, this piques your interest, especially since your Danger Sense is not tingling at all.

A figure in dark robes comes walking into the store, ones that completely cover the person from head to toe, concealing the entirety of the person. You recognize this person immediately. This is The Lady, the resident sorceress of the Force of Justice, and is known as a high level ass-kicker in the mystic world and is reputed to be from either the distant past or some other dimension depending on who you ask. Not someone you wish to mess with if it can be avoided.

She slips into the seat across from you and pulls out from under her cloak some kind of Frappuccino, also in a Starbucks cup. She says in a calm voice, "I do hope you don't mind me joining you. I also must apologize if my means of keeping our conversation private has disturbed you in any way. I just wanted a moment to enjoy my Java Chip and give you a job offer, one that I do hope you decide to accept. The Force of Justice is looking to expand, and has been building a new facility in San Francisco in order to serve as the HQ of this branch of the team, and your name has come up in my research for potential new members. Since I was in the neighborhood, I'd thought I'd take the time to speak to you personally."

Dannigan Dannigan Epiphany Epiphany Psychie Psychie Silanon Silanon D. Rex D. Rex

Popping an umbrella open, he steps forward and flashes some Id. "Ms. Dreamy? I am Agent Dan Phillips of the Department of Superhuman Affairs. Can I offer you a ride where we can talk?"

Dreamy's first reaction is to reply telepathically since Telepathy is mostly undaunted by rain storms, but then she quickly remembers that she is addressing a Carbonite - they seem to prefer to use their mouths, ears, and bodies to converse. With great curiosity, she examines him and then his identification until she had read every word of it. It did not occur to her that she would not have known a fake ID bought off of eBay from a real one.

"Hi, Dan Phillips!" she waves merrily to him. She considers Mind Scanning him and checking the area with Spatial Awareness, but then she realizes that this Carbonite could have been sent from her agent. What a nice thought that was! "Okay!" she says as she accepts his offer.

Clad only in her Sun Top string bikini with rainbow motif, she remembers to walk and not fly with him to his car. Her eyes light up as she prepares to enter his vehicle, for she has seen many of these strange devices from the outside, but only a handful from the inside!

"Dan Phillips? Is this about Chanel No. 5? It is the only thing I wear to bed." She repeats the rehearsed line from today's perfume commercial perfectly, including the warm smile, merry laugh, and confident wink she had used during the shoot. And she says it like she means it.

In truth, Dreamy really didn't know what she was saying. She did not need a bed, had never slept, and wasn't certain what one used a bed for. But the line had made people smile, so why not Dan Phillips?

Last edited:
San Francisco, California, 2215 hours - Luminary

Flying above the city, a faint glowing trail of light illuminates your backtrail as you move above the city's skyline towards the observatory located in the mountains to the east. Things have been quiet in the city for the past several weeks, which is a good thing, because it has given you the chance to get caught up on your work charting newly discovered planets around distant stars.

While you are flying along, a sudden flare of light below you draws your attention as a flaming woman arcs her way up from the rooftops below and heads in your direction. It doesn't take you long to recognize her; it is Lady Liberty, the head of the Force of Justice and one of the most photographed members of the New York based team. She comes up alongside you, waves in a friendly manner, then she motions for you to follow her, then she turns and flies down towards the buildings below.

Assuming you follow her down, there is a man sitting down on the edge of one of the rooftops that stands up with a smile and nod. You know this man to be The American Spirit, a flying strong man and fellow member of the Force of Justice. He waits with Lady Liberty for you to land, then he offers up his hand. "Luminary. It is good to meet you. I have seen many news reports about the lovely lady before me, but the stories don't do you justice. You are truly a sight to behold."

Lady Liberty rolls her eyes as her fellow team member flirts with you, then says, "Keep it zipped, Spirit. We are here on business." The flaming woman's fire dies down to reveal a pretty blonde in a skintight suit of red and gold. Looking at you, she says, "Luminary, we are here in San Francisco for a reason. The Force of Justice has been working on a new facility a few miles away from here, one that will soon be home to a satellite branch of the FoJ, with the mandate to keep an eye on things in the western half of the country. Right now, we are building up the roster of this new team, and we would like it if you would consider signing on to be a part of this team. There are many perks that would go along with such a membership, but the decision must be completely voluntary."
Deborah is a bit star struck when Lady Liberty herself flies up next to her, breaking the peace of the night. She angles herself to follow the amazing heroine down to the rooftop with a nod and wave in return. As she sets down and sees The American Spirit, she has to do her best from letting out a pure fangirl squeal of delight. "Uh, hi there. Yes, I'm Luminary, and it is wonderful to meet the two of you. I have to say that I am a big fan!" Deb gulps, realizing that she just gushed like the fangirl that she is. After all, she does have a subscription to PowerBeat Magazine. And to American Hero Magazine. And to . . . well, it doesn't matter how many magazines about superheroes she gets every month. It is time to interact with the heroes in the flesh!

The pitter patter of her heart starts up even more when The American Spirit complements her, calling her pretty! It is such a surprise that Deb almost misses the next part of the conversation where Lady Liberty is basically offering her a job with the Force of Justice! "Oh wow. Did I hear that right? You . . . . want me to work with you and be a part of the Force? That. Is. Awesome!" She takes a few deep breaths, then says, "I guess I should hear some details on what is involved before I just say 'yes'. Who else are you looking at for a member of the west coast team?"

There's a few reliable ways to ruin the day for someone in Nisha's line of work - scholars of the arcane, that is, not translators of old tongues. Letting them wait is certainly on the list - there's always something more relevant, more important, than standing in line and wasting breathable air. Surprises are even worse. Few things can endanger a well-prepared magus - things change drastically when they rely on improvisation.

So just judging from that, this day's already basically ruined from the start. Add to that that it's the end of the week, where the body slowly remembers that it's supposed to get rest every once in a while - and it's really not the right time for conversations. It rarely is, to be fair. The things she'd like to discuss are those she can't talk about. And the things that others like to speak about aren't really part of her own life, these days. Self-invited sorceresses excluded, of course. But those are pretty rare, luckily. Too few would be inclined to just chat. Too many would love to get a glimpse at what she's seen, herself. At any cost. Even this woman, known hero or not, could still be part of both camps. Heroism doesn't protect from ambition. For now, it's just talk, though. The good kind, too. The kind that lets the mind put the Book's riddles aside for a moment or two.

Only to go through the preparations she's made, at first. There's half a dozen ways out of here, not counting the doors. There's ill-tempered shadows wriggling in jars on her belt, waiting to devour the morning light. There's the things that she can conjure up on a whim. Quite a bit of preparation for an espresso, but you never know what will happen. You gotta be prepared for surprises, and Nisha certainly is. Not good enough, of course, never, but enough for it to be worth the risk. Caffeine is the common man's endurance spell, and it combines well with actual magic, near the end of a week. Besides, people can relate with the zombie-like hordes that invade Starbucks each morning. Most have been part of that crowd at some point themselves. It's a way to just be human in the others' eyes.

Well, she isn't, or she wouldn't be sitting here with The Lady right there. Talking about opportunities like she actually means it. Curious, and awful timing. Nisha was prepared for bad surprises, not for a conversation. So for a moment, she says nothing. Her right hand moves to raise her cup, take a careful sip. There's a thin, silvery chain wrapped all around that arm, and it clinks and clangs softly as she moves. A well-practiced eye might pick up on the delicate runes that are carved into the metal, parts of even more delicate spells. For the usual onlooker, it's likely just sign of a very strange sense of fashion.

"I don't mind the company", she finally says, even though part of her does. The part that wants to get back to her book as soon as possible, even though time doesn't really seem to pass right now. But this woman is a league above her, so it likely doesn't hurt to be a little polite. "You might be asking the wrong person. There's better people out there. More dedicated, and with less trouble following their footsteps." Plus, does she really need some other self-righteous, glorified hero to look over her shoulder half the time, just because they live in the same building? Certainly not. She has her own little place set up, spells in place... and it's the end of the week, she could use some sleep, and the book demands protection regardless. Even now, half of her is prepared to teleport right back into her room. So maybe there would be some benefits, if one ponders for a while. But that'd be selfish - to just look at the benefits. It'd be a commitment, one that would certainly draw her right into all kind of messes. And that'd draw attention, too. Not that she minds putting her skills to a test, and this is the kind of initiative that'd be worth supporting, or maybe even be a part of. But the previous owners of the Book didn't study shadow magic to then stand in the spotlight.

"Don't think I'd want to deal with the press, and all the other nonsense. You'd want some shiny hero, not someone who just gets the job done every once in a while." More often, the more she understands. With understanding comes power. With power comes the responsibility to put it to good use, or you might as well not waste your time studying the world's ancient secrets at all. "I'd have to see the place, too. Make sure it's solid. And it'd take the right kind of people in there, too. The kind that doesn't snoop around, or tries to tell me how to get the job done."

A short pause as she takes another sip. A moment to appreciate the total lack of movement all around her. With that kind of power, she wouldn't have to sit with the back to the wall all the time. Then again, arrogance is what gets people killed. She'd probably take the same seat regardless. "Got any other names, yet?" Not that names would change anything. She'd only know faces from the news, if at all. Faces and reputation don't tell you how a man reacts when shadows slither through the hallways. Or when darkness spreads where they expected bright sunlight. Magic is powerful, and useful, but it isn't heroic in nature, per se. Exceptions exist. Hers it not among those. Some people wouldn't want it because it's not flashy and shiny.

"Not that I'm convinced that this is a good idea. Not at all. Just wondering." The temptation's there. The urge to try something new, make the next step. Even if it's not the brightest idea. Only that this time, she isn't unaware, trying some ancient ritual to overcome sleep. Or in doubt, as she barely takes an ant's life. Or only somewhat aware, like the first time she deliberately sneaked off to do good. No, this time, she's fully aware of the risks. She knows enough about the powers to know that they should remain out of reach for those who desire them. Making herself a target, more than she already is - not smart. But tempting. There's a price one pays for every ounce of power. She's been aware of that for a while. One doesn't want to pay that price for no reason. This idea of a western branch of the League - it's the best reason that has come up in quite a while.

Dreamy's first reaction is to reply telepathically since Telepathy is mostly undaunted by rain storms, but then she quickly remembers that she is addressing a Carbonite - they seem to prefer to use their mouths, ears, and bodies to converse. With great curiosity, she examines him and then his identification until she had read every word of it. It did not occur to her that she would not have known a fake ID bought off of eBay from a real one.

"Hi, Dan Phillips!" she waves merrily to him. She considers Mind Scanning him and checking the area with Spatial Awareness, but then she realizes that this Carbonite could have been sent from her agent. What a nice thought that was! "Okay!" she says as she accepts his offer.

Clad only in her Sun Top string bikini with rainbow motif, she remembers to walk and not fly with him to his car. Her eyes light up as she prepares to enter his vehicle, for she has seen many of these strange devices from the outside, but only a handful from the inside!

"Dan Phillips? Is this about Chanel No. 5? It is the only thing I wear to bed." She repeats the rehearsed line from today's perfume commercial perfectly, including the warm smile, merry laugh, and confident wink she had used during the shoot. And she says it like she means it.

In truth, Dreamy really didn't know what she was saying. She did not need a bed, had never slept, and wasn't certain what one used a bed for. But the line had made people smile, so why not Dan Phillips?
Agent Phillips' face goes a bit red at the perfume comment. Perhaps he has a skin condition? No, wait, you've seen this before, but you are having trouble remembering what it means. These Carbonite people are so strange, with so many different customs to keep track of! Once you climb into the car, Agent Phillips joins you in the back seat. In the front of the car there is another man in an almost identical black suit that says, "Where too, Ms. Dreamy?" If you give a destination, he then smoothly pulls the car out into the evening traffic, otherwise the car stays put.

Agent Phillips clears his throat and says, "No, Ms. Dreamy. This is not about the perfume commercial. We are both agents from the Department of Superhuman Affairs." He offers up his Id badge to you to examine as he speaks. "Your recent arrival on Earth has gotten the attention of my superiors in the DSA, and we are hoping we can interest you in an opportunity to both learn more about our country and help out people while you are at it."

He pulls out a small tablet and shows you a video of you helping paramedics pull a pregnant woman out of a wrecked car and healing her after an accident. Then, he swipes to a second video, this one showing you answering questions after an attempted bank robbery and hostage situation that you were able to put a stop to with no loss of life. "I could show you more of these, but I don't really see the point. You have a good heart and spirit, but you need guidance to keep from making needless mistakes until such time as you learn more about our people and our ways. We can help you with that."

Shifting in his seat, saying, "The DSA works hand in hand with the team known as the Force of Justice, and they are looking to expand their operations to the west coast with a new team of supers that will be based in San Francisco." You have heard of the Force of Justice. They are in the news almost on a daily basis, either saving people from danger, responding to disaster sites, or stopping a super powered group from blowing up a stadium full of fans at a baseball game. They do a lot of community outreach, too, helping out such charities as Homes For Humanity and Doctors Without Borders. A real good bunch of people.

The DSA agent offers you up a card with contact information and an address on it. "We would like to offer you a position with this expanded team. If you would like to get more details on this offer and the people behind it, feel free to come to this address in three days to meet with the other provisional members that we are talking to."

Inferno was getting bolder. But why? They should know by now the sensor network would have picked them up. Likely trying to pick off these research facilities to knock out parts of the network. Thankfully the project was proving very useful. And with both Blue Bolt and Skate coming to help, they wrapped things up nicely.

Colt Campbell was hovering a few feet off the ground, using his freeze ray to cool molten sand and to put out fires for the emergency vehicles to navigate the area safely. As things calmed down, and the Hero approached, Colt lowered himself to the ground.

The visor of his helmet was tinted against the desert sun, but for the interaction the visor became transparent again, with the lens of his goggles becoming shaded instead. He shook Blue Bolt's hand, he was rather taken aback by being called 'sir' by a member of the FoJ.

"The Cobalt Capacitor himself, thank you very much for your help. If it wasn't for you two, I wouldn't have been able to wrap this up as readily or safely. But please, call me Colt, Sir is my fathers name." He grinned.

His grin, however, was wiped away and replaced by mild look of shock as the azure accelerator extended the invitation for Colt to join the FoJ. "Me?" He asked. The Force of Justice was looking to invite him into their institution?

"I'm just a normal guy in a fancy suit. Wouldn't you be wanting people like Hurricane or Lady Justice?" He was rather confused. Was he really making such waves to get on their radar? Had he really developed his suit to be on the level of such titans? Well... the latter was obvious. Of course it was. By now his suit was almost unrecognizable from the MK II's he started with underground. Without a team, he had been really upgrading it to keep up with the growing threats.

"I'm... honored. Really. You all have done a lot of great work in the world, and building another branch of the FoJ is a great idea. But I can not just leave my duties behind. I'm still a Terranaut. Inferno has been been stirring up more trouble, and I still need to guard the surface gate in the Antarctic. GeoCorp HQ is still being rebuilt, and they aren't quite in a position to keep the peace down there."

Colt thought for a moment. He WAS interested.. To join a team like that. He hadn't really been on a team since the Terranauts. But that isn't to say he couldn't see the advantages in it. Their facilities and resources were top notch. And he could do a lot of good there. Yes. His focus had often been on Inferno and the mole men, but more and more often he had been wanting to help out wherever he could when disasters popped up.

"If I joined, do you think we would be able to send some resources and help their way? With GeoCorp HQ rebuilt, I could justify helping out the Force of Justice fully."

There's a few reliable ways to ruin the day for someone in Nisha's line of work - scholars of the arcane, that is, not translators of old tongues. Letting them wait is certainly on the list - there's always something more relevant, more important, than standing in line and wasting breathable air. Surprises are even worse. Few things can endanger a well-prepared magus - things change drastically when they rely on improvisation.

So just judging from that, this day's already basically ruined from the start. Add to that that it's the end of the week, where the body slowly remembers that it's supposed to get rest every once in a while - and it's really not the right time for conversations. It rarely is, to be fair. The things she'd like to discuss are those she can't talk about. And the things that others like to speak about aren't really part of her own life, these days. Self-invited sorceresses excluded, of course. But those are pretty rare, luckily. Too few would be inclined to just chat. Too many would love to get a glimpse at what she's seen, herself. At any cost. Even this woman, known hero or not, could still be part of both camps. Heroism doesn't protect from ambition. For now, it's just talk, though. The good kind, too. The kind that lets the mind put the Book's riddles aside for a moment or two.

Only to go through the preparations she's made, at first. There's half a dozen ways out of here, not counting the doors. There's ill-tempered shadows wriggling in jars on her belt, waiting to devour the morning light. There's the things that she can conjure up on a whim. Quite a bit of preparation for an espresso, but you never know what will happen. You gotta be prepared for surprises, and Nisha certainly is. Not good enough, of course, never, but enough for it to be worth the risk. Caffeine is the common man's endurance spell, and it combines well with actual magic, near the end of a week. Besides, people can relate with the zombie-like hordes that invade Starbucks each morning. Most have been part of that crowd at some point themselves. It's a way to just be human in the others' eyes.

Well, she isn't, or she wouldn't be sitting here with The Lady right there. Talking about opportunities like she actually means it. Curious, and awful timing. Nisha was prepared for bad surprises, not for a conversation. So for a moment, she says nothing. Her right hand moves to raise her cup, take a careful sip. There's a thin, silvery chain wrapped all around that arm, and it clinks and clangs softly as she moves. A well-practiced eye might pick up on the delicate runes that are carved into the metal, parts of even more delicate spells. For the usual onlooker, it's likely just sign of a very strange sense of fashion.

"I don't mind the company", she finally says, even though part of her does. The part that wants to get back to her book as soon as possible, even though time doesn't really seem to pass right now. But this woman is a league above her, so it likely doesn't hurt to be a little polite. "You might be asking the wrong person. There's better people out there. More dedicated, and with less trouble following their footsteps." Plus, does she really need some other self-righteous, glorified hero to look over her shoulder half the time, just because they live in the same building? Certainly not. She has her own little place set up, spells in place... and it's the end of the week, she could use some sleep, and the book demands protection regardless. Even now, half of her is prepared to teleport right back into her room. So maybe there would be some benefits, if one ponders for a while. But that'd be selfish - to just look at the benefits. It'd be a commitment, one that would certainly draw her right into all kind of messes. And that'd draw attention, too. Not that she minds putting her skills to a test, and this is the kind of initiative that'd be worth supporting, or maybe even be a part of. But the previous owners of the Book didn't study shadow magic to then stand in the spotlight.

"Don't think I'd want to deal with the press, and all the other nonsense. You'd want some shiny hero, not someone who just gets the job done every once in a while." More often, the more she understands. With understanding comes power. With power comes the responsibility to put it to good use, or you might as well not waste your time studying the world's ancient secrets at all. "I'd have to see the place, too. Make sure it's solid. And it'd take the right kind of people in there, too. The kind that doesn't snoop around, or tries to tell me how to get the job done."

A short pause as she takes another sip. A moment to appreciate the total lack of movement all around her. With that kind of power, she wouldn't have to sit with the back to the wall all the time. Then again, arrogance is what gets people killed. She'd probably take the same seat regardless. "Got any other names, yet?" Not that names would change anything. She'd only know faces from the news, if at all. Faces and reputation don't tell you how a man reacts when shadows slither through the hallways. Or when darkness spreads where they expected bright sunlight. Magic is powerful, and useful, but it isn't heroic in nature, per se. Exceptions exist. Hers it not among those. Some people wouldn't want it because it's not flashy and shiny.

"Not that I'm convinced that this is a good idea. Not at all. Just wondering." The temptation's there. The urge to try something new, make the next step. Even if it's not the brightest idea. Only that this time, she isn't unaware, trying some ancient ritual to overcome sleep. Or in doubt, as she barely takes an ant's life. Or only somewhat aware, like the first time she deliberately sneaked off to do good. No, this time, she's fully aware of the risks. She knows enough about the powers to know that they should remain out of reach for those who desire them. Making herself a target, more than she already is - not smart. But tempting. There's a price one pays for every ounce of power. She's been aware of that for a while. One doesn't want to pay that price for no reason. This idea of a western branch of the League - it's the best reason that has come up in quite a while.
The Lady lets out a slight chuckle. "Have you ever seen me take center stage in one of our press conferences? I leave that for the likes of Lady Liberty and American Spirit. No, I am comfortable being the 'inscrutable dark figure' in the background. You can do the same. I am sure that the other members we are looking at will be happy to be the focus of attention, and we can let the PR people set up their action figures while the important work is done by the likes of us."

She looks out at the crowds of people moving along the sidewalk for a moment, then says, "We are approaching some big names, trying to lend additional support to this new team. Lady Justice. Luminary. Ultraweapon. Turbo. Terranaut. Dreamy. TARU. I can't say how those meetings are going, but if you wish to learn more, there is a private Q and A session for all the candidate members in three days at this address in San Francisco." She pulls out a envelope and slides it across the table to you. "I do hope to see you there."

Deborah is a bit star struck when Lady Liberty herself flies up next to her, breaking the peace of the night. She angles herself to follow the amazing heroine down to the rooftop with a nod and wave in return. As she sets down and sees The American Spirit, she has to do her best from letting out a pure fangirl squeal of delight. "Uh, hi there. Yes, I'm Luminary, and it is wonderful to meet the two of you. I have to say that I am a big fan!" Deb gulps, realizing that she just gushed like the fangirl that she is. After all, she does have a subscription to PowerBeat Magazine. And to American Hero Magazine. And to . . . well, it doesn't matter how many magazines about superheroes she gets every month. It is time to interact with the heroes in the flesh!

The pitter patter of her heart starts up even more when The American Spirit complements her, calling her pretty! It is such a surprise that Deb almost misses the next part of the conversation where Lady Liberty is basically offering her a job with the Force of Justice! "Oh wow. Did I hear that right? You . . . . want me to work with you and be a part of the Force? That. Is. Awesome!" She takes a few deep breaths, then says, "I guess I should hear some details on what is involved before I just say 'yes'. Who else are you looking at for a member of the west coast team?"
Both Lady Liberty and American Spirit take your gushing in stride. It is not like they haven't ever heard talk like that before, even from other heroes. American Spirit chuckles, then says, "We have several other potential candidates that we are approaching, inviting them to come to a meet and greet at the new facility. I'm sure you've heard of many of these candidates: Dreamy. Terranaut. Ultraweapon. Turbo. Lady Justice. There are a few others, but those are the most famous names on our list." He then pulls out a envelope and offers it up to you. "Here is your official invite along with the location of the meeting. I do hope to see you there."

Dreamy listens and maintains eye contact with Agent Phillips, smiling as if she likes pleasure of his company. All the while, she is bopping rhythmically like a teenager who is listening to music to headphones, except there aren't any headphones, which might lead one to believe that Dreamy "marches to the beat of a different drummer."

Agent Phillips' face goes a bit red at the perfume comment. Perhaps he has a skin condition? No, wait, you've seen this before, but you are having trouble remembering what it means.

The shade of his skin was altering! It was neat! Was it a defensive mechanism like the chameleon lizard? There was Chanel No. 5 on her skin now. Was it her mention of the perfume or was it an effect of the perfume? Dreamy couldn't tell. As she is escorted to the car, Dreamy pays close attention to Dan Phillips when he operates the device that opens the door.

"Where too, Ms. Dreamy?" If you give a destination, he then smoothly pulls the car out into the evening traffic, otherwise the car stays put.

"The Golden Gate Bridge, please? Have you ever seen the city from the top of the bridge? It's so pretty!"

She changes her mind when the Force of Justice address is provided. "Could we go here instead, please? Despite my growing knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area, this place will be much easier to locate in three revolutions' time if I have previously visited the location."

You have a good heart and spirit, but you need guidance to keep from making needless mistakes until such time as you learn more about our people and our ways. We can help you with that."

"Aww, thank yooou!"

Dreamy touches his arm and smiles brightly at the compliment. She reclines in the back seat as if it were a sofa in a living room somewhere; she does not even think to reach for a seat belt. Dreamy collects her hair, mindful to keep the long orange-red mass at a lukewarm temperature lest it burn the seat leather or her bikini.

"Oh! I remember the female Carbonite! I thought she had eaten too much but then I saw there were two lifeglows inside of her instead of one! That's why she was so big! I hope they're doing all right."

She considers his offer.

"The Force of Justice? They help people like Habitat for Humanity!" Immediately, Dreamy's mind leaps up with all kinds of Kairissian imaginings!

Did they incarcerate or recycle? Why were they looking for someone like Dreamy? Did they need help exploring somewhere? Would they play nice or would they be mean when not in the camera eye? Oh, the things they could do together if they played nice!

Suddenly, her internal imaginings cease. The Cosmic Explorer inside of her comes out as she remembers a piece of advice gained from the San Francisco Public Library - Sunset Branch on 18th Avenue:

"'Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe but look only and surely at what are the facts.'"

Philosopher Bertrand Russell
"A Wave of Reason" by melodysheep! Woo!

"Dan Phillips and (insert name of the other agent here)..." Dreamy sits up and looks serious, "...I would like to know why the two of you have chosen to serve the Force of Justice? You can serve anyone you want to, right? Why them?"

Last edited:
The Lady lets out a slight chuckle. "Have you ever seen me take center stage in one of our press conferences? I leave that for the likes of Lady Liberty and American Spirit. No, I am comfortable being the 'inscrutable dark figure' in the background. You can do the same. I am sure that the other members we are looking at will be happy to be the focus of attention, and we can let the PR people set up their action figures while the important work is done by the likes of us."

She looks out at the crowds of people moving along the sidewalk for a moment, then says, "We are approaching some big names, trying to lend additional support to this new team. Lady Justice. Luminary. Ultraweapon. Turbo. Terranaut. Dreamy. TARU. I can't say how those meetings are going, but if you wish to learn more, there is a private Q and A session for all the candidate members in three days at this address in San Francisco." She pulls out a envelope and slides it across the table to you. "I do hope to see you there."

"Heard some of the names before, I believe." Fewer than Nisha would like. It's hard to keep up with the different news here and there. Maybe she should spend more time trying. But names change weekly, while the Book's knowledge has remained relevant and unchanged for centuries. Given the choice, it's clear what her mind should primarily be concerned with. If someone else takes care of the work somewhere else, why bother too much? Let the press sing the praise... well, of course it'd be nice to know more, now. Not that knowing more would change anything. The press doesn't tell the things she'd want to know. "You get a few of them, you might do some good. So - good luck with that, hope the meetings go well." That's all there is to say, without being a part. Whether being a part would be wise is the real question here.

Nisha's left hand - gloved - moves to grab the envelope, but stops half-way as she ponders implications. "No promises", she says after a moment, "but I might be able to drop by. Give it a listen, see where it leads." That's pretty much a commitment, from her point of view. She'll finish that bothering passage in the Book, then see what's the best way to go about this... her hand moves up, grabs the envelope, but shows no intention to open it yet. "Anything I should know about the place?"

Inferno was getting bolder. But why? They should know by now the sensor network would have picked them up. Likely trying to pick off these research facilities to knock out parts of the network. Thankfully the project was proving very useful. And with both Blue Bolt and Skate coming to help, they wrapped things up nicely.

Colt Campbell was hovering a few feet off the ground, using his freeze ray to cool molten sand and to put out fires for the emergency vehicles to navigate the area safely. As things calmed down, and the Hero approached, Colt lowered himself to the ground.

The visor of his helmet was tinted against the desert sun, but for the interaction the visor became transparent again, with the lens of his goggles becoming shaded instead. He shook Blue Bolt's hand, he was rather taken aback by being called 'sir' by a member of the FoJ.

"The Cobalt Capacitor himself, thank you very much for your help. If it wasn't for you two, I wouldn't have been able to wrap this up as readily or safely. But please, call me Colt, Sir is my fathers name." He grinned.

His grin, however, was wiped away and replaced by mild look of shock as the azure accelerator extended the invitation for Colt to join the FoJ. "Me?" He asked. The Force of Justice was looking to invite him into their institution?

"I'm just a normal guy in a fancy suit. Wouldn't you be wanting people like Hurricane or Lady Justice?" He was rather confused. Was he really making such waves to get on their radar? Had he really developed his suit to be on the level of such titans? Well... the latter was obvious. Of course it was. By now his suit was almost unrecognizable from the MK II's he started with underground. Without a team, he had been really upgrading it to keep up with the growing threats.

"I'm... honored. Really. You all have done a lot of great work in the world, and building another branch of the FoJ is a great idea. But I can not just leave my duties behind. I'm still a Terranaut. Inferno has been been stirring up more trouble, and I still need to guard the surface gate in the Antarctic. GeoCorp HQ is still being rebuilt, and they aren't quite in a position to keep the peace down there."

Colt thought for a moment. He WAS interested.. To join a team like that. He hadn't really been on a team since the Terranauts. But that isn't to say he couldn't see the advantages in it. Their facilities and resources were top notch. And he could do a lot of good there. Yes. His focus had often been on Inferno and the mole men, but more and more often he had been wanting to help out wherever he could when disasters popped up.

"If I joined, do you think we would be able to send some resources and help their way? With GeoCorp HQ rebuilt, I could justify helping out the Force of Justice fully."
Blue Bolt rubs his chin as he says, "I cannot guarantee that there will be any aid sent over to your people, but we do have some pull with the Department of Superhuman Affairs that could be able to get some help sent to a group of allies in the good fight. I'd have to talk to Lady Liberty to see if she can pull some strings. We do happen to have a get-together of a few of the likely candidate heroes in three days at the new headquarters; you could arrive there and pose a few questions to the DSA liaison team."

Dreamy listens and maintains eye contact with Agent Phillips, smiling as if she likes pleasure of his company. All the while, she is bopping rhythmically like a teenager who is listening to music to headphones, except there aren't any headphones, which might lead one to believe that Dreamy "marches to the beat of a different drummer."

The shade of his skin was altering! It was neat! Was it a defensive mechanism like the chameleon lizard? There was Chanel No. 5 on her skin now. Was it her mention of the perfume or was it an effect of the perfume? Dreamy couldn't tell. As she is escorted to the car, Dreamy pays close attention to Dan Phillips when he operates the device that opens the door.

"The Golden Gate Bridge, please? Have you ever seen the city from the top of the bridge? It's so pretty!"

She changes her mind when the Force of Justice address is provided. "Could we go here instead, please? Despite my growing knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area, this place will be much easier to locate in three revolutions' time if I have previously visited the location."

"Aww, thank yooou!"

Dreamy touches his arm and smiles brightly at the compliment. She reclines in the back seat as if it were a sofa in a living room somewhere; she does not even think to reach for a seat belt. Dreamy collects her hair, mindful to keep the long orange-red mass at a lukewarm temperature lest it burn the seat leather or her bikini.

"Oh! I remember the female Carbonite! I thought she had eaten too much but then I saw there were two lifeglows inside of her instead of one! That's why she was so big! I hope they're doing all right."

She considers his offer.

"The Force of Justice? They help people like Habitat for Humanity!" Immediately, Dreamy's mind leaps up with all kinds of Kairissian imaginings!

Did they incarcerate or recycle? Why were they looking for someone like Dreamy? Did they need help exploring somewhere? Would they play nice or would they be mean when not in the camera eye? Oh, the things they could do together if they played nice!

Suddenly, her internal imaginings cease. The Cosmic Explorer inside of her comes out as she remembers a piece of advice gained from the San Francisco Public Library - Sunset Branch on 18th Avenue:

"'Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe but look only and surely at what are the facts.'"

Philosopher Bertrand Russell
"A Wave of Reason" by melodysheep! Woo!

"Dan Phillips and (insert name of the other agent here)..." Dreamy sits up and looks serious, "...I would like to know why the two of you have chosen to serve the Force of Justice? You can serve anyone you want to, right? Why them?"

When Dreamy gives her request to see the meeting place of the new team, she can see the agent at the wheel glance up at Agent Phillips in the rear-view mirror and waits for a slight nod before putting the car in 'drive' and pulls out into traffic. He sets off towards the coast, driving easily along in the rainy weather and the other cars on the road.

As the drive goes along, Agent Phillips is friendly, nodding as Dreamy comments on the various things he has said. But when he is asked about why he does work for the FoJ, he is silent for a short time before saying, "Well, ma'am, technically, we both work for the Department of Superhuman Affairs, and we only work with the Force of Justice as a part of their support team. But, while I can only speak for myself, the FoJ is a good bunch of people that put themselves in harms way to protect the people of this world from the things that would hurt them."

He pauses for another moment, then says, "There are some things that we can only discuss with you once you agree to sign on and get your security clearance, but there are threats out there that you would be . . . almost uniquely suited to take care of."

Once you are by the coast, the car pulls up out front of a large mansion with a tall security wall around it, with a guard shack set next to a gate. The driver says, "Ma'am, this is where the meeting will be taking place, and will also be the team headquarters here."

Blue Bolt rubs his chin as he says, "I cannot guarantee that there will be any aid sent over to your people, but we do have some pull with the Department of Superhuman Affairs that could be able to get some help sent to a group of allies in the good fight. I'd have to talk to Lady Liberty to see if she can pull some strings. We do happen to have a get-together of a few of the likely candidate heroes in three days at the new headquarters; you could arrive there and pose a few questions to the DSA liaison team."

"Well, then we will have to see. And I will need to consult with them. Its not that I'm asking for anything in return, I just do not know what the Force of Justice would require of me. If Inferno catches me slacking, it might be worse things than mole men he brings up." Colt stated.

"Are these candidates going to be tested or anything, or has it already been determined these candidates are clear to join?" He asked. "Or is it as innocent as it sounds?" The young man finished with a chuckle.

He pauses for another moment, then says, "There are some things that we can only discuss with you once you agree to sign on and get your security clearance, but there are threats out there that you would be . . . almost uniquely suited to take care of."

Dreamy gazes into Dan Phillips's eyes, a habit she had when someone said something that really has her attention. Inside, she comes to a realization.

It... sounds like the Force of Justice could really benefit from having someone like me. That means... I wouldn't only be taking, but giving too! This could lead to a destiny filled with life-changing moments for many Carbonites too. I could become a Starchild sooner! Wouldn't that be nice? I still have the need to understand my Powers more. I have been feeling limited assisting the police all on my own. What might it be like to create relationships with Superpowered Carbonites?

Is there a path back to where I am now if I join the Force of Justice? It feels like a black hole - once you go in, there
is no returning to what or when you were before you entered.

Once you are by the coast, the car pulls up out front of a large mansion with a tall security wall around it, with a guard shack set next to a gate. The driver says, "Ma'am, this is where the meeting will be taking place, and will also be the team headquarters here."

"What is this home-realm of the Force of Justice called?" Dreamy presses her hands against the glass of the car as she looks outside. If she thinks the guards can see her, she waves at them. She looks at everything within her field of vision. Then with a nod, she turns to her escorts.

"Dan Phillips, I accept their invitation! This opportunity... well... it all sounds like a new responsibility to myself and to others... a life-changing adventure shared with Carbonites... all strangers... and a great change in my destiny that once set into motion, won't likely be reversible. Oh..." she pauses and frets briefly, "...but I hope I can still model! There are Carbonites that depend on some of my monetary earnings to perform the tremendous goodness they provide to needy people in San Francisco!

"Would you please relay to the Force of Justice that I really appreciate them thinking of me like this? It is so nice of them! I mean... I'm just a Starborn. I dream. I explore. I do good where I can, like the Force of Justice. Whether their reasonings are glorious or dire or something in between, receiving this invitation is heartwarming!" Dreamy claps her hands. "I hope all this makes you feel as nice as it makes me feel!"

Dreamy folds her hands and smiles at Dan Phillips then looks outside again, past the mansion, out to the night sky, and the stars that glitter beyond. She appears ready to be let out of the car here. Dreamy wants to be here so she can take to the air and gain an exact understanding of where they are.

I have three Earth-revolutions before the meeting. I should use it wisely. I should ask the friendly Carbonites at the charities along with my agent what they think.

Galaxies beyond! If I agree to this...

... there is no turning back my destiny! The life that I'm living now will be gone forever!

Last edited:
"Well, then we will have to see. And I will need to consult with them. Its not that I'm asking for anything in return, I just do not know what the Force of Justice would require of me. If Inferno catches me slacking, it might be worse things than mole men he brings up." Colt stated.

"Are these candidates going to be tested or anything, or has it already been determined these candidates are clear to join?" He asked. "Or is it as innocent as it sounds?" The young man finished with a chuckle.
Blue Bolt smiles, then says, "No, no testing or hazing or any of that kind of thing. We would not be extending the invitation to you to come to the new facility if we were not ready to have you onboard with us. There is the meet-and-greet in three days where we can talk with a bit more privacy," he nods towards the growing crowd of people with their smart phones out, not to mention the press that is starting to gather, "and answer all of your questions there. I do hope to see you there. Besides, if you do sign on with us, and this Inferno fellow decides to throw is weight around, you'll have a whole team of supers at your side, instead of trying to face off against him on your own. Just a thought."

Lady Liberty says, "Well, besides you, we are trying to hook Lady Justice, Terranaut, Turbo, Ultraweapon and TARU, just to name a few. The Lady has her spooky eye on someone that she's hoping to join, but it is quite typical of her to keep her cards close to her chest on certain things."

American Spirit then says, "We have a get-together for the various candidates that we are wanting to join with us in three days at our new facility here in San Francisco." He pulls a envelope out of one of his many utility belt pockets and offers it to you. "Come as you are, or in your civilian id; it is up to you. Either way, we both hope to see you there. The address is in the envelope on your invite."

"What is this home-realm of the Force of Justice called?" Dreamy presses her hands against the glass of the car as she looks outside. If she thinks the guards can see her, she waves at them. She looks at everything within her field of vision. Then with a nod, she turns to her escorts.

"Dan Phillips, I accept their invitation! This opportunity... well... it all sounds like a new responsibility to myself and to others... a life-changing adventure shared with Carbonites... all strangers... and a great change in my destiny that once set into motion, won't likely be reversible. Oh..." she pauses and frets briefly, "...but I hope I can still model! There are Carbonites that depend on some of my monetary earnings to perform the tremendous goodness they provide to needy people in San Francisco!

"Would you please relay to the Force of Justice that I really appreciate them thinking of me like this? It is so nice of them! I mean... I'm just a Starborn. I dream. I explore. I do good where I can, like the Force of Justice. Whether their reasonings are glorious or dire or something in between, receiving this invitation is heartwarming!" Dreamy claps her hands. "I hope all this makes you feel as nice as it makes me feel!"

Dreamy folds her hands and smiles at Dan Phillips then looks outside again, past the mansion, out to the night sky, and the stars that glitter beyond. She appears ready to be let out of the car here. Dreamy wants to be here so she can take to the air and gain an exact understanding of where they are.

I have three Earth-revolutions before the meeting. I should use it wisely. I should ask the friendly Carbonites at the charities along with my agent what they think.

Galaxies beyond! If I agree to this...

... there is no turning back my destiny! The life that I'm living now will be gone forever!
Phillips says, "Well, ma'am, the base in New York is called the Dome, a heavily reinforced and well protected structure. As far as I know, there is no name for the manor house. I guess that is something for you to come up with yourselves." He pauses, then says, "I will let the Force of Justice and my superiors in the DSA know that you are interested in getting some more information, and we will be expecting you at the meeting."

By now, you can see that the rainstorm has faded away, leaving just some grey skies. At this point, Agent Phillips asks, "So, Ms. Dreamy, are there any other questions that I can answer for you right now?"

"Heard some of the names before, I believe." Fewer than Nisha would like. It's hard to keep up with the different news here and there. Maybe she should spend more time trying. But names change weekly, while the Book's knowledge has remained relevant and unchanged for centuries. Given the choice, it's clear what her mind should primarily be concerned with. If someone else takes care of the work somewhere else, why bother too much? Let the press sing the praise... well, of course it'd be nice to know more, now. Not that knowing more would change anything. The press doesn't tell the things she'd want to know. "You get a few of them, you might do some good. So - good luck with that, hope the meetings go well." That's all there is to say, without being a part. Whether being a part would be wise is the real question here.

Nisha's left hand - gloved - moves to grab the envelope, but stops half-way as she ponders implications. "No promises", she says after a moment, "but I might be able to drop by. Give it a listen, see where it leads." That's pretty much a commitment, from her point of view. She'll finish that bothering passage in the Book, then see what's the best way to go about this... her hand moves up, grabs the envelope, but shows no intention to open it yet. "Anything I should know about the place?"
The Lady says, "I have been involved in the location and design of the manor, making sure that the ley lines and energy flows are all quite positive and easily controlled. Plus, there are a few mystic wards that I have put in place myself to keep the riffraff out." She doesn't go into much detail, obviously trying to hook you with your curiosity. "In any case, I have some things to take care of before I can go back to New York, so if you have any other questions about the meeting, ask now or wait three days to ask them in San Francisco."

Phillips says, "Well, ma'am, the base in New York is called the Dome, a heavily reinforced and well protected structure. As far as I know, there is no name for the manor house. I guess that is something for you to come up with yourselves." He pauses, then says, "I will let the Force of Justice and my superiors in the DSA know that you are interested in getting some more information, and we will be expecting you at the meeting."

By now, you can see that the rainstorm has faded away, leaving just some grey skies. At this point, Agent Phillips asks, "So, Ms. Dreamy, are there any other questions that I can answer for you right now?"

Dreamy gasps a little and looks heavenward. "Oh, where do I begin?" Her questions simply exploded from inside her vibrant and child-like imagination.

Please do not feel in any way obligated to answer anything in the next paragraph! You'll see why! Ha ha! =)

The roller coaster of questions involving the FoJ Dreamy provides starts with the very exploration of Earth (did Dan Phillips think the FoJ were interested in, say, exploring the oceans? The lesser-known sites of their ancestors or sites of unexplained cosmic disturbances? What about the recoveries of archeological treasures lost to history?) to if the Force of Justice would appreciate her delivering them any Sun Top Swimwear (she received a nice discount but she had yet to use it!) to if someone would help her get a California Identification Card so she could get a library card for the San Francisco library chain (she also didn't have a home so she didn't have an address and they needed that for the card too, so she had spent much of her time in the libraries absorbing what she could during their operating hours) to if they had any interest whatsoever in needy children and didn't mind "raising a little hell" with some little outlaws she knew (the hole in the wall gang being one of the wonderful charities Dreamy regularly donated to)?

She touched on four deeper questions, all based on her continued survival as a superhero. Enemies. "And... if the Force of Justice is the popular and successful grouping they appear to be, why, don't they have a great number of adversaries who plot and plan their downfall, or worse, their demise? Who are they and what should I know about them?"

"I'm only a Starborn, you see, and I have a really, really long way to go! I would like help learning more about my Powers, but I am the only Kairissian on your world. Is there a place here or nearby where I could further my self-knowledge? Do you think the Force of Justice would make the time to help me learn about myself?" She explains how she has been using California's natural surroundings to improve her powers and she provides an example of her trying to fly full-blast through the Shasta-Trinity forests without hitting any trees (think "Return of the Jedi's" speeder bike scene).

"What is exactly expected of a member of the Force of Justice?"

And finally, "Dan Phillips? What kinds of questions would you be asking if you were in my situation? You have a Carbonite's perspective after all!"

The Lady says, "I have been involved in the location and design of the manor, making sure that the ley lines and energy flows are all quite positive and easily controlled. Plus, there are a few mystic wards that I have put in place myself to keep the riffraff out." She doesn't go into much detail, obviously trying to hook you with your curiosity. "In any case, I have some things to take care of before I can go back to New York, so if you have any other questions about the meeting, ask now or wait three days to ask them in San Francisco."
"I wouldn't want to take too much of your time - if that's the right wording." She points out the surrounding, to clarify what she means - the world's rush, frozen in the most generic moment one could think of. "But there are a few questions that come to mind. Why now, for example, and not half a year ago. Or a year later, when more potential candidates have surfaced." Another sip from her cup. "And why in San Francisco, and not in any of the other western cities. Not that I'd mind, I know the place well enough." Better than any other place, in fact. Either good luck, or trouble right where she minds it the most.

"Those wards - could one get fried by accident? Would they interfere with magic, in one way or another?" That'd be bad for experiments. Or for something as simple as teleporting in and out. Or for snooping around, just in case she arrives early. It's good to trust someone else's safety measures; it's better to be sure that they hold what's promised.

She touched on four deeper questions, all based on her continued survival as a superhero. Enemies. "And... if the Force of Justice is the popular and successful grouping they appear to be, why, don't they have a great number of adversaries who plot and plan their downfall, or worse, their demise? Who are they and what should I know about them?"
Agent Phillips thinks for a moment, then says, "Well, since the Force is primarily a US based team, there is little contact with such villain teams like Eurostar, but they have tangled in the past when the team was responding to the disaster in Venice when Tsunami attacked the city and was providing aid. As far as domestic issues, there is the continual presence of the Wrecking Crew and Genocide. There is also the occasional appearance of the Pure Earth Society, but they are a rarity. Plus, any terrorist group that would operate in the States has the FoJ on their hit list."
"I'm only a Starborn, you see, and I have a really, really long way to go! I would like help learning more about my Powers, but I am the only Kairissian on your world. Is there a place here or nearby where I could further my self-knowledge? Do you think the Force of Justice would make the time to help me learn about myself?" She explains how she has been using California's natural surroundings to improve her powers and she provides an example of her trying to fly full-blast through the Shasta-Trinity forests without hitting any trees (think "Return of the Jedi's" speeder bike scene).

"What is exactly expected of a member of the Force of Justice?"
"Ma'am, I don't know what you mean by being 'only a Starborn', but the Force does not discriminate to those that would step forward and help others, no matter where they are from. In fact, you are not the only resident alien that we are making efforts to contact. Luminary is known to be a extraterrestrial, and from what I understand, Lady Liberty and American Spirit are searching for her to offer her a position in the San Francisco team."

Agent Phillips is silent as he thinks for the best response, then says, "The mandate of the Force of Justice is to be the first line responders to any paranormal threats against the United States, and when needed, the rest of the world, like what they did in Venice. They have sent members to respond to natural disasters, such as Hurricane Edna six months ago that did its best to wipe New Orleans off the map. But their biggest job is to keep such threats as Calculord from completing its plan for world conquest."

"As a member of the Force, even a satellite team like what is being put together here, you are expected to maintain a high level of personal integrity, keeping your behavior above reproach, and if you ever have any questions about what is considered 'appropriate', the team can help to teach you how to adapt to human society. Render aid to those that need it, and to protect those in danger. Those are the big things that the Force stands for."

"But being a member is not a one way street. We stand for you when you need help, be it with a superpowered opponent, or a legal issue coming out of your status as an off-worlder or if you ever get sued. Trust me, it happens more than you might think."
And finally, "Dan Phillips? What kinds of questions would you be asking if you were in my situation? You have a Carbonite's perspective after all!"
He lets out a chuckle. "Heh, well, you have already brought up many of the things that stand out to me, other than such things as possible vacation days and the amount of a paycheck I can expect. After all, I have a son in college, and that is not cheap. I would also ask about the other potential members that we are speaking to about this, and as long as I am talking about it, we hope to see Lady Justice, Terranaut, TARU, Ultraweapon, Turbo, and Luminary onboard. There are a couple of other people that The Lady is considering, but I don't have the details on them, since she is very secretive with her dealings with the world of magic."

"I wouldn't want to take too much of your time - if that's the right wording." She points out the surrounding, to clarify what she means - the world's rush, frozen in the most generic moment one could think of. "But there are a few questions that come to mind. Why now, for example, and not half a year ago. Or a year later, when more potential candidates have surfaced." Another sip from her cup. "And why in San Francisco, and not in any of the other western cities. Not that I'd mind, I know the place well enough." Better than any other place, in fact. Either good luck, or trouble right where she minds it the most.

"Those wards - could one get fried by accident? Would they interfere with magic, in one way or another?" That'd be bad for experiments. Or for something as simple as teleporting in and out. Or for snooping around, just in case she arrives early. It's good to trust someone else's safety measures; it's better to be sure that they hold what's promised.
She chuckles. "I see what you did there; take up too much time. Not a bad pun. Why now? It has taken Lady Liberty this much time to be able to convince the government that the Force of Justice is overstretched and needs the additional manpower to keep up. The bay area has several good things going for it; close proximity to the ocean, good real estate, and a nice nexus of ley lines to help power the mystic wards I have put in place."

She steeples her fingers, obviously considering her words carefully. "I can tell you that there are protections to keep someone from being able to teleport or gate in without permission, and to keep any extra dimensional openings from being made. There are other wards, but unless you agree to sign on with us, I think it would be best to keep the details private."

Hospitals are a bit of a painful favorite for Lady Justice.

On the one hand, it's real work. Kids depend on adults for a lot of things and, when it comes to sickness and especially the terminal stuff, adults let them down. A costumed hero who can fold a few metal bars and flash a smile to brighten their day is at least a little brightness for children who shouldn't have to face the dark at all. On the other hand, for all of her incredible strength, she's just as powerless as their parents. Another adult who lets them down because even a superhero can't magic away cancer.

But she can make them smile. And for those that recover, maybe even make them hope.

Bryony Santos just shakes her head slightly while shaking the hospital administrator's hand. "Think nothing of it, really," she says. "You're the ones doing the real work here. Thank you for all that you do." The dark suit in the crowd gets her attention right away, though, right along with a field officer who isn't dressed for social engagements. "Excuse me, please," she adds for the administrator before releasing his hand and moving up to the government pair. Keeping someone in BDU waiting just wasn't in her constitution.

"Agent Brune," she answers his address by acknowledging it. "Lieutenant Reeves. My time is your time." A polite response but also one with more truth in it than appearances might otherwise suggest. Lady Justice knew all too well she had her current assignment out of consideration more than inclination. The Army could easily still use her in the field, after all. And difficult as it was to qualify for the Armed Services, leaving them with her kind of credentials was even harder.

Hospitals are a bit of a painful favorite for Lady Justice.

On the one hand, it's real work. Kids depend on adults for a lot of things and, when it comes to sickness and especially the terminal stuff, adults let them down. A costumed hero who can fold a few metal bars and flash a smile to brighten their day is at least a little brightness for children who shouldn't have to face the dark at all. On the other hand, for all of her incredible strength, she's just as powerless as their parents. Another adult who lets them down because even a superhero can't magic away cancer.

But she can make them smile. And for those that recover, maybe even make them hope.

Bryony Santos just shakes her head slightly while shaking the hospital administrator's hand. "Think nothing of it, really," she says. "You're the ones doing the real work here. Thank you for all that you do." The dark suit in the crowd gets her attention right away, though, right along with a field officer who isn't dressed for social engagements. "Excuse me, please," she adds for the administrator before releasing his hand and moving up to the government pair. Keeping someone in BDU waiting just wasn't in her constitution.

"Agent Brune," she answers his address by acknowledging it. "Lieutenant Reeves. My time is your time." A polite response but also one with more truth in it than appearances might otherwise suggest. Lady Justice knew all too well she had her current assignment out of consideration more than inclination. The Army could easily still use her in the field, after all. And difficult as it was to qualify for the Armed Services, leaving them with her kind of credentials was even harder.
With a nod and a motion of his hand, Agent Brune signals for you to join the two of them as they walk. He says, "Thank you, Ms. Santos, for taking some of your time to speak with us. As I mentioned, I am with the DSA, and Lt. Reeves is assigned to work in the Force of Justice. While this has not been released to the public, the FoJ is interested in recruiting some new members to fill out a new roster that will be based out of San Francisco, and your name is on the short list of candidates that we would like to see as a part of this new team."

As you walk, you can see that he is leading you outside where a car is waiting, and standing at the rear passenger door is a woman that is the spitting image of this Lt. Reeves. It then hits you as to where you've seen her: she is the superhero known as Legion, a woman capable of making multiple duplicates of herself that all act with one mind. A very handy thing to be able to do in a fight.

At the car, Lt. Reeves pulls out an envelope from one of her pockets. "We have a meeting set for three days from now where the various candidates can meet one another and ask as many questions of the DSA and Lady Liberty as you wish. We will also have a dinner prepared, so come hungry."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back