The Force of Justice - IC Thread

"I haven't, actually. Mostly been focused on my own work. It's a neat idea, though." Nisha's voice betrays that she's not convinced.
Man, thought Chaser, why's this girl harshin' me so much? It getting a little annoying, but he managed to keep that to himself.
She leans forward, especially to Chaser, for answer while holding out her golden hands as if to help describe her question. "Is it the west side of this continent where this planet sees its star as going over the horizon last or the east side?

"Oh!" she adds quickly. "And what's a... 'YouTube?'"
"Er..." Miles had to take a moment to think about what exactly he was being asked.
"The sun rises early in the east. Same initial letters. In case that helps." It might not, alien mind and all, but that's what she was taught as a child. Stuck well enough to remember it now, at least.
"Riiiight. What she said."

"Imagine a library, just not for books, but for videos. Short movies." She knew libraries, right? She got excited about those. "But you don't need to go there - you can't, actually. Instead, you can use a computer, or one of the newer phones, to access those videos at any given time and watch them. Instruction videos. Entertainment. Cats. Chaser at work, if I got that right. He knows better. Not really my world."
"YouTube is a short movie library? Why, that sounds like TeeVee! My young Carbonite friends put in these shiny discs into their TeeVee and we "binge-watched" Star Trek: The Next Generation together! Oh, it was such a delightful time! And I've learned some important lessons to live by too!"
"I mean, it's a little like TV, but the great thing about YouTube is that anyone can upload videos to it. You can make pretty much any video you want and put it out there for people to see. Don't need a fancy studio or anything to give your project a go, and 'cause so many people are all uploading, it's like you got infinite content." He moved his hands like unsteady scale. "I mean, it's not perfect. You got demonetization, copyright claims, the algorithm's pretty screwed up, they're probably suppressing my vids- it's whatever though man, I'm still married to it."
Holding her crossed hands over her chest, Dreamy seems like she's giving herself a hug. She admires her new hoodie and looks up to tell you, "You are all so nice and generous! I think you're even sweeter than chocolate!" Dreamy fold her fingers and smiles. "Maybe there's a way I can be nice back? Others tell me I give the best embraces! Or maybe my other talents could make you smile?" Her blue eyes turn to the flower now between her head and hoodie. Some of her hair returned (just enough to hold the flower). Without using her hands, the flower silently slips out of her hoodie and then reenters it from another angle where Dreamy's fingers await. Making a space in her hair for the flower with her fingers, Dreamy looks at the flower and it drifts back into the hoodie and replaces itself as if it had done it all on its own.

To the superheroes who had not yet spoken, Dreamy very curiously looks to each person and asks, "You're not going to be a - what's the word - a sourpuss like Ultraweapon, are you? You're joining us to fight mean people too, aren't you?"
Chaser kicked the ground a couple times and looked off in some far direction. He still didn't see any birds.

"Naw, naw, you don't gotta do anything for me." He put on his best smile and pointed with both hands. "Just wear that hoodie and let people know about how nice ya boy is. That's me," he explained. "Sometimes people call themselves 'your boy'."

The Speedster turned to Colt. "Yo, fishbowl. Think you could get that hoodie fireproofed?"
D. Rex D. Rex

If there is any of you that do not wish to attend the circus and the press feeding frenzy, let Justin know so he can make arrangements accordingly."
"Hey now, you know you boy ain't afraid of the camera," said Miles proudly. "Besides, this could help me finally hit a million subs. Though I do need to get you guys in touch with my lawyer. I got my own merchandising deals going on and I gotta make sure I'm not signing over my likeness or anything."

It takes Nisha a split-second to respond, if at all. "That would be me, then. The fewer know about my presence, the better I'll do my part. That said, I wouldn't mind being present anonymously, one way or another. If that could be arranged... it's how it begins, after all."

Her blue eyes peek out from inside the hoodie. Holding one drawstring in between her fingers, Dreamy raises her hand. "Oh Nisha, if you're going, I'll go too!" Dreamy turns excitedly to Francesca as her mind immediately links being in front of a camera to modeling. "If we are going to be in front of cameras, could I wear one of my Sun Top bikinis with a bottle of Chanel No. 5? And could I give a shout out to the Outlaws so people can give to them, please?"

"I mean, it's a little like TV, but the great thing about YouTube is that anyone can upload videos to it. You can make pretty much any video you want and put it out there for people to see. Don't need a fancy studio or anything to give your project a go, and 'cause so many people are all uploading, it's like you got infinite content." He moved his hands like unsteady scale. "I mean, it's not perfect. You got demonetization, copyright claims, the algorithm's pretty screwed up, they're probably suppressing my vids- it's whatever though man, I'm still married to it."

The more Chaser does his best to explain, the more lost Dreamy looks, but she seems to be enjoying the experience. Words like "uploading," "demonetization," and "algorithm's," produce confusing looks from the curious Kairissian, but she figures if these terms are important to Chaser, then she should probably at least try and understand them for the sake of their friendship. By the time he is finished, Dreamy is openly and hopelessly lost, but not the least bit sorry for having listened to him.

Rapidly but meaningfully, she replies, "I don't understand everything you're saying - I'm unfamiliar with the words - it's probably because my people don't make things like Carbonites do. I have problems operating your elevators." Dreamy glances at the nearest elevator car with a look of mild worry. She clasps her hands and gives Chaser one of her endlessly-available heartfelt smiles as she replies, "But I'm happy that you're married to your YouTube!" This clearly meant he had a romantic relationship strong enough to bond himself with the YouTube. No one would be able to enter his heart as long as he was true. What a lucky entity YouTube was! She glances at TARU and finds herself wondering if YouTube and TARU know each other.

"Naw, naw, you don't gotta do anything for me." He put on his best smile and pointed with both hands. "Just wear that hoodie and let people know about how nice ya boy is. That's me," he explained. "Sometimes people call themselves 'your boy'."

"Okay!" Dreamy replies as if agreeing to this were the most natural thing ever for someone like her.

"Hey now, you know you boy ain't afraid of the camera," said Miles proudly. "Besides, this could help me finally hit a million subs.

Hearing this, Dreamy thinks to herself, "What in the cosmos could Chaser have against sandwiches to want to strike one million of them? I must to be missing some important context here!" She dismisses the thought and focuses on being in the moment.

With everyone making it known that they were in on joining the team, the legal team approaches each of you for a one-on-one meeting to sign contracts and start getting the needed background checks lined up, along with your financial paperwork and cover stories for those that wish to maintain a secret identity. During your meeting, it is made clear to Luminary that they are aware of your true identity, and are going to leave the decision to go public up to you. The cover story that they have ready for you to approve is that you are going to be one of the secretaries working in the background of the FoJ, doing a little bit of everything for the team. Along with this will be plenty of background work being done to help keep your cover, and they plan on going over your 'job' multiple times to make sure you are able to relate details of it to those that ask you for details on your career.

This is not an issue for the rest of you, since the rest of the player characters all have either a Public Id or no Complication that would make it necessary to keep secret just why you are driving into the FoJ Tower on multiple occasions.

Over the course of the next several hours, you are given some of the details on the security that were kept secret. The building is made of reinforced materials that are much more durable than normal building materials (10 points of Pd/Ed Defense) that includes an energy field that prevents teleporting in (it will take the Advantage of Armor Piercing on a teleport to get through this barrier). Along with the energy field, there are seismic sensors to detect any attempts to enter from underground, radar, infrared cameras and other active sensors to spot unwelcome visitors.

On the more mystical side of things, there are wards that the Lady has placed on the area that prevent ghosts or other spirits from entering the grounds, and to prevent extra-dimensional portals or teleports from happening anywhere on the grounds. She tells Nisha that if there is anything that tries to breech these wards, they will be hit with a variety of nasty surprises that she has put into place. At this point, she slides a small talisman across to Nisha, saying it is a mystic 'key' to allow you access to teleport in without triggering the defenses.

As far as more active security, there are full time security on the outer perimeter and lower levels, but for the upper levels, there are security robots hidden in the walls along with weapon turrets designed to keep intruders more subdued than killed, allowing the team to be the ones to respond to any possible threat and determine what to do.

In order to gain access to the upper levels through the elevators, it requires multiple security clearances to get the elevators to respond. Biometric fingerprint scanners, facial Id cameras and a RFID chip in a pass card all help to keep uncleared access to the higher floors or the underground submersible bay and the access to the ocean. Invited guests will need either a member of the team or the security force to get to the upper floor or the underground levels.

There are also holding cells inside the Tower, intended to restrain a super powered felon until such time as he/she/it can be transported to the custody of local law enforcement for proper treatment. Each cell is made of much more durable materials equal to a bank vault wall (18 Pd/Ed Armor), and include a power suppression field (20d6 Suppress vs all powers at once). While impressive, these cells are not intended to be long term holding for a prisoner, just a temporary place to keep someone dangerous under wraps.

All of this takes days of work to get you all plugged into the security system to keep you from triggering the defenses, so until then, you are warned that you will be seen as a intruder by the security if you were to land on the roof and try to enter from there, or if you were to try to barge your way up past the public floors.

After all of this has been done, the press conference is planned for 10 am in the press room of the Tower to announce the news about the new additions to the FoJ and the establishment of the West Coast team. With her desire to avoid the spotlight, Nisha is given a pass from attending, but it will be announced that her hero Id, Dawn, is also a FoJ member but is unavailable at the moment for pictures or questions. If there is anyone else that would choose to avoid being at the press conference, now is the time to say so.

"Information Society - Peace & Love Inc."

Lyrics
I'm not exactly in the mood for Mozart and all that kind of goings-on

Look at the world, it's a complicated place
And it's hard to keep the pace
You've got to wear a smiling face

But what we've got is a blue-light special on truth
It's the hottest thing with the youth
You've got nerves we need to soothe

If you've got to believe in something
Believe in us, 'cause we make it easy
Peace and Love, Incorporated

Shop around, see if you don't agree
We think it fits you to a "t"
And the best part is it's free

I believe we got the market cornered this time
We can make you feel fine
It could impact your bottom line

If you got to believe in something
If you've got to belong to something
Belong to us, and we'll make you P.C.

Peace and love, it's the newest cause by far
And we've got all the biggest stars
Get your politics up to par

If you got to believe in something
If you've got to belong to something
Belong to us, and we'll make you P.C.
If you got to have faith in something
Have faith in us, it can be so easy

Welcome to Peace and Love, Incorporated

During this indepth tour, Dreamy focuses and pays close attention to every important step so she will not forget it. The last thing she wants are misunderstandings - which she feels her life has enough of, thank you very much.

To anyone taking an interest, it becomes evident that in Dreamy's universe, there are no "big people" or "little people." As opportunity allows, the beautiful superheroine gives a friendly greeting to every person she meets and tries to honestly get to know them a little be they superheroes, support staff, or the Carbonites who maintain the mansion.

To Dreamy, everyone is important, as long as they play nice.

She even pauses to address the security robots until she realizes, somehow, that they are not Carbonites in power armor like Colt Campbell or Ultraweapon. Lacking any concept or experience with cyborgs, she doesn't think to look for any.

"Blue Bolt?" She asks as she makes the rounds. "What is it like to be you?" She makes the same query of every new member of the team, but it is not just small talk - she really wants to know.

After all of this has been done, the press conference is planned for 10 am in the press room of the Tower to announce the news about the new additions to the FoJ and the establishment of the West Coast team.

Since the press conference takes place in the following morning, and Kairissians do not sleep, Dreamy explores everywhere her security will take her in the mansion, while not taking an interest in anyplace her security will not allow her to go.

If it is allowed, Dreamy tries to wear one of her Sun Top bikinis to the breifing, and bring along a bottle of Chanel No. 5 with a small sign that displays the names of the charities she supports. Dreamy feels if she is going to put her face in front of a camera that will reach a lot of Carbonites, she feels the least she could do is show her support for the people in her life that helped her get where she is.

"This is going to be fantastic!"

Last edited:
Where others have a friendly word for every lost soul passing by (a certain Starborn in particular, it seems), Nisha instead sticks to the tried and tested plan of sneaking by without making a fuss. Not the hardest part, granted - enough unusual folks around here to grab other people's attention. In the meantime, she drinks in all the little details, both concerning the layout and the defenses, fiddles with the Lady's talisman in an attempt to get a glimpse at the foreign magic, reads the pass handed out to her exactly once to be familiar with the details, and remains otherwise quiet for the most part.

"Blue Bolt?" She asks as she makes the rounds. "What is it like to be you?" She makes the same query of every new member of the team, but it is not just small talk - she really wants to know.
An exception is made when it's her turn to answer that question. Sure, the urge is there to give nothing away, play her cards close to her chest as always. But it's a good question, without an easy answer. Besides, being here means putting her fate in other people's hands from time to time. The better they understand, without knowing much, the better it'll work out, in the end. So she considers possible responses, before settling on one that might get the point across.

"Couldn't tell you, exactly. There've been people like me, before. I've read some of their journals. If they taught me anything, then that the very same path we're following feels different for every single one of us. So I wouldn't know how it'd feel like for you, being in my skin." A shrug, followed by a brooding stare at the floor. "But quite often, it feels like making the wrong decision every single time. Imagine a path - you know it leads somewhere, and it'll be worth the journey, only that you know that you'll never get there yourself. All you do is to get a little closer, so that someone else can pick up the burden from you one day, and start a little closer to the destination than you did. But that's not all. To the left side of the path, people are dying. Hundreds. Thousands. You can help some of them but many are struck with fates that you can not prevent. And even worse, there are bad people on that side of the path, too. They only wait for you to expose yourself too much, so that they can strike you down and end your journey. To your right, however, there is a vast library. bookshelves after bookshelves, a never-ending source of knowledge. Some of that knowledge could help the people to your left. Find the right book, and you'll be able to help a dozen more. But while you read, you hear the death screams of people you could've saved, if only you hadn't been reading instead. And the deeper you walk into the library, the more dangerous it becomes. There are things in there, too, that feed on the inattentive, and the unprepared."

"So you mostly stick to the path. Sometimes, you wander off to the left, help as many people as you dare.; and still only see the ones that you could have saved, if only you could've found the right book in time. Other times, you venture into the library, dig as deep as you can before the voices call you back. Neither direction ever feels right." A clang of the chain. "So how does it feel to be me? Tiring whenever a mother mourns her child. Invigorating when her son comes back home alive instead. Amazing when a shadow slips away, following my command. Tedious when it eludes my grasp. Dreary when I didn't get my coffee, and burdening in general." A short pause. "How does it feel to be Dreamy Starborn, though?"

In the case of Lady Justice, signing contracts means bringing on her legal team from ICM Partners. Presumably the lawyers go to work, though her corporate sponsor can certainly appreciate the value of their investment working on the Force of Justice. For Bryony's part, she's only too happy to just sign whatever the final document is. She does ask for a cover story, probably something superficial for Bryony Santos to do in security, but doesn't ask for any real depth to it. Anyone who wants to can figure out who she is already. No need for the Force to go through extra effort beyond enough for her to 'claim' (however unconvincingly) that Bryony and Lady Justice are different people.

The security arrangements are...well, rather familiar actually. But that mostly owed to working for the parts of the United States Army that don't have official department names in their letterhead. The thoroughness here is still impressive.

Her schedule is plenty busy so the days it takes to get processed through the system pass quickly enough. The real next step is turning up for the press conference. She comes in costume and with her best, brightest smile.

"What is it like to be you?" She makes the same query of every new member of the team, but it is not just small talk - she really wants to know.

The question makes Bryony blink and she almost snaps off a rote reply before pausing to reflect. Dreamy's a new teammate (and maybe single?) so it'd behoove her to be honest. Well. As honest as a reserve military ex-black ops operator with a contractual relationship with a corporate partner can be. Besides, how often can she say she's actually answered that question without a team of reporters recording whatever she said or did in public?

"Honestly? I'm in a weird spot, Dreamy. Half of my life's a matter of public record, covered by paparazzi and new channel cameras and Twitter. I have virtually no privacy. The other half is is a categorical list of things no one knows and that I can't talk about. Most days, I feel like him." Bryony tosses her head in Colt's direction ( D. Rex D. Rex ). "My costume doesn't cover my face, as you can see, but the face you see is a protection just as much as his suit's helmet is for him. I smile when I don't feel like it. I can't let myself get angry. Lady Justice as a concept is something I wear much like her costume. I wasn't born Lady Justice, I didn't grow up as her. I'm proud of the work I've done as her, don't get me wrong. But she's a role I play. A role that doesn't leave a lot of room left over for me to be 'me'."

Then Lady Justice gives one of those smiles that's practiced yet not wholly convincing to a perceptive character. "Which is one of the nicest problems a girl can have. I'm not hungry. I'm not in danger like a lot of Latina girls can get up to. I can take college classes and making something of my life is simply a choice I can make. Lot of girls, Latina or otherwise, aren't so lucky. So what's it like being me?" She pauses theatrically as if genuinely weighing the question before that smile flashes up to full wattage. "Pretty damn great."

Deborah is, at first, somewhat nervous when the legal experts on the FoJ's team tell her that they know who she is, and provide her with proof of this. She had thought that she was doing a good job in compartmentalizing her work as Luminary to keep her family and friends safe, then the Dude does chime in, mentioning that the Force of Justice has a lot of resources to be able to use to determine something like this, and not to be worried about it.

At least my secret is still safe from the rest of the team. Then, she pauses. Should I show the rest of the group who I really am? These people, all have been vetted by the best hero team in the world, and deemed to be worthy of being associated with them. Why am I keeping my identity secret from them? I can still see the value of maintaining my secret to the rest of the world, but what about the team?

The Dude chuckles in her head. You are wise to be concerned for the safety of your family, but as you say, these people are heroes, ones that you have followed the exploits of in your colorful magazines in some cases for years. However, a degree of caution is in order. I would advise you that if you are going tot do this, make sure that the others know you are only doing this in the privacy of the team, and not the rest of the world. Besides, taking some time to get to know the others first would not hurt. I can say that Dreamy's people are a rare breed in the universe. Kind to a fault, she would make a great friend if you were to let her.

Thanks, Dude. You always give good advice.

Deciding to keep her civilian life a secret for now, Deb will go ahead and give Justin and his people the ok to set up the fake job for her to help keep her cover story intact, and plans on showing up at the press conference as Luminary.

"What is it like to be you?" She makes the same query of every new member of the team, but it is not just small talk - she really wants to know.
When Dreamy comes to her with this question, it rocks Deb back on her mental heels for a moment. At first, she wants to just give the standard brush off answer, but between the Dude's comments from earlier and the honest intensity of the alien woman makes her think a bit more.

She finally says, "It is . . . a bit scary, to be honest. When I felt the contact of the Dude for the first time, it scared me a lot. Um, in my other life, I'm studying to be an astronomer, so I'm used to the idea of looking up at the night sky and searching for life out there. It is a very different thing to have non-terrestrial life suddenly pop into your head and say 'hello!'" Luminary then goes on to say, "But without the bonding that I have with the Dude, I could not do the things that I have to make this a better world, and would not have the chance to warn people about the Xaros. Now that I am a part of the Force of Justice, I hope to be able to keep a better watch for their influence."

Deb thinks again, then says, "By the way, Dude does say that your people are a good bunch, doing right by the universe. I like that you were approached to join up. I hope to be good friends with you." She gives a warm smile and offers up her hand to the other alien, hoping for a positive response.

Colt scratched his chin. That was a question he hadn't really thought about. What is it like to be him.

"Well... its lonely I suppose." He said slowly, giving himself time to think. "I live in the Antarctic, with my only company being a few robots and a computer." He looks over at Bryony Epiphany Epiphany "I guess to that end i never really had to deal with the public. Not like Lady Justice. Paparizza don't exactly see it as worth it to come to my home. I suppose that is all the better because I doubt I would be able to handle that sort of thing as well as she does."

"For all practical purposes, life on the surface is foreign to me. Things were a lot different underground and I have only been here for a relatively little while. In some ways it is almost like I am exploring as I used to. But I didn't really think about what I do. Down below I had a duty in keeping the surface safe. And after coming up here, I found a new appreciation for it what it was I did. There are so many wonders up here I only ever heard about. So many people and so many sights. And even though it started out as just a mission, I feel it is a lot more personal now. I'm slowly getting to know what I was trying to protect all those years and it has made me want to protect it even more."

"Though... it is certainly a very odd feeling to be a normal human surrounded by superhuman." He added. "Not that it is a bad thing, as watching the heroes of the surface has helped me a lot in improving my suit at my laboratory. Its really inspiring to see all the things you all are capable of, but thats likely the scientist in me talking."

"If we are going to be in front of cameras, could I wear one of my Sun Top bikinis with a bottle of Chanel No. 5?"
Miles pinched the bridge of his nose. On one hand, views. On the other hand-

He nearly groaned.

With everyone making it known that they were in on joining the team, the legal team approaches each of you for a one-on-one meeting to sign contracts and start getting the needed background checks lined up, along with your financial paperwork and cover stories for those that wish to maintain a secret identity.
For the most part, Chaser's meeting involved him getting the FoJ legal team in contact with his own, asking a few questions about marketing, and signing where his lawyer told him to.

Miles sort of zoned out while the others answered.

"Huh?"

He smiled and shrugged bashfully. "It's all good for me. Got no complaints- I'm blessed."

"Though... it is certainly a very odd feeling to be a normal human surrounded by superhuman." He added. "Not that it is a bad thing, as watching the heroes of the surface has helped me a lot in improving my suit at my laboratory. Its really inspiring to see all the things you all are capable of, but that's likely the scientist in me talking."
"Hey man, it ain't no thing." Miles almost slapped him on the back but refrained. "We all just people. Pretty much."

Looking somewhat startled, Blue Bolt gives Dreamy a smile. "Well, it is an adventure, that is sure. Ever since my powers developed in my teenage years, I've had this great responsibility to use my abilities for good and not for personal benefit. I was lucky that the American Spirit found me and was able to bring me into the Force and learn how to use my powers without hurting someone or myself." He places a friendly hand on your shoulder and gives an easy squeeze. "You will be given all the opportunities to learn more about the world you have adopted, and we will be there for you."

When Dreamy goes up to Lady Liberty, this time the fire manipulator is in her hero uniform. She says, "I have been a fire manipulator for as long back as I can remember. I thank my parents for being smart enough to get professional help, and between my own hard work and the efforts of the American Spirit, we were able to form the core of what became the Force of Justice. Even with all the struggles that I have gone through, I wouldn't change a thing."

Then, Dreamy goes to talk to Legion. She looks at the alien and says, "While it is not well known, our powers were the result of a military experiment to make super soldiers. Most of the volunteers of the project did not manifest any abilities, we were a bit different and thus, we became Legion. We serve our country as well as we can."

The press conference proceeds well, with Lady Liberty and the American Spirit both taking point in making the announcements of the West Coast team. Everyone that is in attendance is asked to pose for photographs and answer a great many different questions, most of which were vetted by the legal team, and you were all coached with what would be a set of good answers to keep you from causing a scandal on day one.

Deb will maintain her identity as Luminary as the press conference goes on, posing for pictures and answering any questions that come her way, doing her best to keep Dreamy from getting swamped with odd questions that are designed to trip her up and make her look foolish.

While Dreamy listens and hovers an inch off of the carpet, her head, shoulders, and hips sway back and forth like she's tuned into some cosmic radio frequency... and just enjoying it. =)

"Kylie Minogue - Say Something (feat.The House Gospel Choir) (INFINITE DISCO)"

"So you mostly stick to the path. Sometimes, you wander off to the left, help as many people as you dare.; and still only see the ones that you could have saved, if only you could've found the right book in time. Other times, you venture into the library, dig as deep as you can before the voices call you back. Neither direction ever feels right." A clang of the chain. "So how does it feel to be me? Tiring whenever a mother mourns her child. Invigorating when her son comes back home alive instead. Amazing when a shadow slips away, following my command. Tedious when it eludes my grasp. Dreary when I didn't get my coffee, and burdening in general."

"Wow..." Dreamy reaches her left hand behind her back and holds her right wrist while she tries to imagine a world like that... she only partially succeeds. "I'd be probably so busy on the left road I'd eventually forget about the right. Or I'd be so busy trying to make a third road, an up or a down, a sideways, something that altered the situation! The universe is complex, ever-changing, and infinite - it's not that everything is possible; it's just that what some people think of as impossible is only improbable and the strange and undiscovered is relative. What some see as brand-new is ancient history for others while the universe just keeps on doing what it's doing."

* * *​

Then Lady Justice gives one of those smiles that's practiced yet not wholly convincing to a perceptive character. "Which is one of the nicest problems a girl can have. I'm not hungry. I'm not in danger like a lot of Latina girls can get up to. I can take college classes and making something of my life is simply a choice I can make. Lot of girls, Latina or otherwise, aren't so lucky. So what's it like being me?" She pauses theatrically as if genuinely weighing the question before that smile flashes up to full wattage. "Pretty damn great."

After asking Lady Justice for the definition of "paparazzi" ("that almost sounds like 'pizza!'"), Dreamy claps her hands and smiles widely, clearly appreciating the answer.

"My costume doesn't cover my face, as you can see, but the face you see is a protection just as much as his suit's helmet is for him. I smile when I don't feel like it. I can't let myself get angry. Lady Justice as a concept is something I wear much like her costume. I wasn't born Lady Justice, I didn't grow up as her. I'm proud of the work I've done as her, don't get me wrong. But she's a role I play. A role that doesn't leave a lot of room left over for me to be 'me'."

"Oh! So you're an actress!" Dreamy beams as if an "aha!" solar flare has lit her existence. "Why didn't you say so? I thought you were a soldier, Lady Justice, but you're an actress too. That's fabulous! I'm just a model; I don't possess your skills and patience." And Dreamy stares into Lady Justice's eyes with something new - it feels like - admiration - the honest kind without the infatuation and hero-worship.

* * *​

She finally says, "It is . . . a bit scary, to be honest. When I felt the contact of the Dude for the first time, it scared me a lot. Um, in my other life, I'm studying to be an astronomer, so I'm used to the idea of looking up at the night sky and searching for life out there. It is a very different thing to have non-terrestrial life suddenly pop into your head and say 'hello!'" Luminary then goes on to say, "But without the bonding that I have with the Dude, I could not do the things that I have to make this a better world, and would not have the chance to warn people about the Xaros. Now that I am a part of the Force of Justice, I hope to be able to keep a better watch for their influence."

Dreamy nods vigorously. "Oh, I agree wholeheartedly! The Xaros... well, they're just as mean as creatures can be! When they hook onto your back and insert themselves into you, your mind ceases to be its own and... well... no one is the same after that! I think that you have merged in such a mutual fashion, you've done more than fill voids you may have had prior to your existences, you act - in a cosmic way - as a sort of alarm clock for this world! I mean, can you imagine the Carbonites being attacked by the Xaros without any warning whatsoever?" Dreamy looks back and forth from Luminary's left and right eyes as if addressing both Deb and the Dude. "Your very joining to alert the Carbonites will spare them the horrific nightmares the Xaros would inflict upon them!"

Deb thinks again, then says, "By the way, Dude does say that your people are a good bunch, doing right by the universe. I like that you were approached to join up. I hope to be good friends with you." She gives a warm smile and offers up her hand to the other alien, hoping for a positive response.

"Oh, we think the same of most Melari! And you like astronomy too? Oh, if you have any questions, I may know their answers! You two so sweeeet together!" When Luminary offers her hand, Dreamy can't help but fall back on old habits and look into the offered hand to see what it is carrying. When she sees that it's empty, Dreamy does a little hop of surprise as she remembers. "Oh! Right! I clasp my hand to yours in affection!" She slips her warm, golden hand into Luminary's and gives a grip that's more like a "hug made up of fingers" than a handshake.

"Oh, you already are a good friend, Luminary!" Dreamy replies as if it were the most natural thing to say in the universe.

* * *​

"Well... its lonely I suppose." He said slowly, giving himself time to think. "I live in the Antarctic, with my only company being a few robots and a computer." He looks over at Bryony. "I guess to that end i never really had to deal with the public. Not like Lady Justice. Paparizza don't exactly see it as worth it to come to my home. I suppose that is all the better because I doubt I would be able to handle that sort of thing as well as she does."

"Lonely? Oh no!" Dreamy takes a subconscious step toward Colt Campbell.

"For all practical purposes, life on the surface is foreign to me. Things were a lot different underground and I have only been here for a relatively little while. In some ways it is almost like I am exploring as I used to. But I didn't really think about what I do. Down below I had a duty in keeping the surface safe. And after coming up here, I found a new appreciation for it what it was I did. There are so many wonders up here I only ever heard about. So many people and so many sights. And even though it started out as just a mission, I feel it is a lot more personal now. I'm slowly getting to know what I was trying to protect all those years and it has made me want to protect it even more."

Dreamy clasps her hands and grins. "Wow! You and I came from opposite directions, then! Me from the outside beyond... um..." she pauses as she recalls a fact, "Earth! And you from the inside!" The Kairissian seems to wonder about something and quickly come to a conclusion. "You and my father would probably get along like hydrogen and oxygen! He loves exploring places and keeping creatures safe from harms. I'm glad you came up, Colt Campbell!"

* * *​

Miles pinched the bridge of his nose. On one hand, views. On the other hand-

He nearly groaned.

"Is... is something wrong?" Dreamy had never seen a Carbonite do that before and didn't know what it meant.

Miles sort of zoned out while the others answered.

"Huh?"

He smiled and shrugged bashfully. "It's all good for me. Got no complaints- I'm blessed."

Dreamy nods. She understands that not everyone was going to be open with themselves. Like the Outcasts, each of the Force of Justice had to do with their time what they thought was best. If Chaser was not willing to share his feelings, he had his reasons, and at least he was generous with his gifts.

"Hey man, it ain't no thing." Miles almost slapped him on the back but refrained. "We all just people. Pretty much."

Dreamy smiles. She sees this as Chaser wanting to be friendly, but also not wanting to push things. Chaser was... being delicate. And Dreamy felt that was better than being harsh or forceful.

"Thank you for the garment! I can't wait to show my young Carbonite friends! I'll do like this." Dreamy pulls up the hood and retreats into it until only her eyes glow from the darkness it provides. Then she drops to her knees and pulls her arms in. "Quick! What am I?" She walks around as if she were only three feet tall. "Ooh-tee-nee!"

"I'm a Jawa! Get it?" She giggles.

"Star Wars Jawa Sound Effects" The sound is low-volume. Turn it up a little?

* * *​

Looking somewhat startled, Blue Bolt gives Dreamy a smile. "Well, it is an adventure, that is sure. Ever since my powers developed in my teenage years, I've had this great responsibility to use my abilities for good and not for personal benefit. I was lucky that the American Spirit found me and was able to bring me into the Force and learn how to use my powers without hurting someone or myself." He places a friendly hand on your shoulder and gives an easy squeeze. "You will be given all the opportunities to learn more about the world you have adopted, and we will be there for you."

Dreamy realizes this is the third time (possibly a fourth?) she has detected surprise from a Carbonite upon being proposed this question. The Kairissian pleasantly wonders what it is about her curiosity they find surprising. She watches his hand move to her shoulder and squeeze it. This was a sign of soothing, either for himself or to suggest trust in her, for beings did not physically touch other beings this way unless they wanted to show that they did not think the other was a threat. Realizing this makes Dreamy feel good.

"That must have been quite an experience, developing while learning about your powers!"

When Dreamy goes up to Lady Liberty, this time the fire manipulator is in her hero uniform. She says, "I have been a fire manipulator for as long back as I can remember. I thank my parents for being smart enough to get professional help, and between my own hard work and the efforts of the American Spirit, we were able to form the core of what became the Force of Justice. Even with all the struggles that I have gone through, I wouldn't change a thing."

Dreamy's head tilts a little to one side in curiosity. "Hey, how did you change your garments so quickly? So you and American Spirit are beginning members of the Force of Justice? I would like to learn more about your history as a group!"

Then, Dreamy goes to talk to Legion. She looks at the alien and says, "While it is not well known, our powers were the result of a military experiment to make super soldiers. Most of the volunteers of the project did not manifest any abilities, we were a bit different and thus, we became Legion. We serve our country as well as we can."

"Wow! So... if there is a male version of yourself, just the two of you together could populate your own country, continent, or even planet! Of course, your Carbonite-given diversity would probably suffer compared to if you had simply brought other Carbonites, but I'm just speculating. Still, the possibilities of what you appear to be and do are mind-boggling! So... if one of you forgets something, could the other remember and inform the first?" Dreamy tries to stop herself there before her curiosity gets the better of her.

* * *​

The press conference proceeds well, with Lady Liberty and the American Spirit both taking point in making the announcements of the West Coast team. Everyone that is in attendance is asked to pose for photographs and answer a great many different questions, most of which were vetted by the legal team, and you were all coached with what would be a set of good answers to keep you from causing a scandal on day one.

Deb will maintain her identity as Luminary as the press conference goes on, posing for pictures and answering any questions that come her way, doing her best to keep Dreamy from getting swamped with odd questions that are designed to trip her up and make her look foolish.

If there are any such trap-questions, Dreamy falls headlong into them without realizing it and Luminary will have "saved the day" here for Dreamy the Starborn. Either way, Dreamy attempts to make the Force of Justice look as terrific as possible all the while telling the camera how good it is for everyone to be nice to each other, in case there is, you know, a horrible Xaros invasion and everyone has to work together for such an event and so starting to be nice to each other now is more important than ever and so forth. =)

Soon enough, the more formal feel of the press conference fades away and the event becomes more of a casual affair, with the members of the press mingling with the heroes and sharing a few drinks. Luminary is able to keep Dreamy from getting herself into too much trouble by reminding people that the two of them are aliens, with an imperfect grasp on human culture and lifestyle. Once the event is wrapped up, most of you are drained, feeling like you have gone through the wringer. American Spirit gives everyone a thumbs up, saying, "For those of you that have not done this kind of thing before, congratulations on surviving your first press conference. I would like to tell you that this gets easier, but that would be a lie. The questioning just gets more intense as you progress along your careers as heroes. But I will say, well done, everybody."

[For those that wish to add something to the press conference, feel free to do so.]

Several uneventful days go by, and the bulk of the East Coast team leaves to go back to New York, leaving Blue Bolt as the only 'old hand' left behind. He warns everyone to be ready for anything; now that the team is set, you will be expected to deploy as needed to trouble spots across the west half of the country.

It is a full week after the press conference when the first call comes in. Everyone that is not currently at the Tower gets a call on their FoJ issues cell phones, asking them to come in and meet up in the briefing room. When everyone gets there, one of the support crew, a lady named Jodi Mills, calls for your attention.

"Everyone, thank you for responding so quickly. We have just gotten our first request to deploy parts of the team for some possible field work. The short version of what happened is that there has been a kidnapping attempt on Governor Talbert's daughter, Rebecca, age twelve. Normally this would not be a issue that we would be involved in, but there are some . . . unusual circumstances . . . surrounding it."

She presses a button, and on the forward display tvs, several images come up. The first picture is of a young blonde girl, most likely Rebecca, probably from a school photo shoot. The second screen is much nastier to look at. It shows a scene of carnage in the roadway, with probably a couple of dozen dogs and cats that have been shot all to hell with blood draining out into the street, along with the bodies of two men in suits that have been savagely attacked and killed, probably by the dogs.

Jodi goes on to explain, "It was at eight a.m. when Rebecca was being dropped off at her private school by her security detail of a driver and second escort when four people, three men and one woman, attacked and seriously wounded the driver and killed the bodyguard and made an effort to grab Rebecca and throw her into a waiting van. The kidnappers were not using conventional weapons, but instead had some kind of coherent energy weapon that was able to punch through the light Kevlar vests of the security detail with ease."

A third picture comes up on the screen of a blaster that would fit in well with pistols from Star Wars, except that there is a smear of blood on the handle. Jodi then says, "Things then went from bad to strange. Every animal in a half mile radius went mad and tried to break out of their homes and went on the attack. Dogs. Cats. Birds. Wild coyotes. Hamsters. All were affected at the same time, and with seemingly the same purpose in mind. The animals were able to distract the kidnappers long enough to let the wounded driver send out the alert. Between the rapid response of the local police and the actions of the animals, Rebecca was able to get into the school and under security lockdown."

"Immediately after the incident was over, all the animals in the area that were affected by this urge to attack reverted back to what can be considered 'normal' behavior, many scattering off across the neighborhood in apparent confusion. Of the four attempting the kidnapping, only one was able to be apprehended alive but injured, and the woman escaped in the van. Police are now searching the area for any signs of the vehicle or the escaped kidnapper."

A fourth picture of a man lying in a hospital, cuffed to the bed, with many bandages on him comes up on the next screen over. "His prints have been run through AFIS, and his identity has been confirmed as Harvey Miller, 35 years old, out of Redondo, California. When he is not trying to allegedly kidnap children, Mr. Miller is a appliance repairman with no criminal record, but a past tour of duty in Afghanistan in the Army as a truck driver. Of the two deceased, as of two hours ago, only one has been identified as William Stanislav, a 48 year old resident of Salt Lake City, Utah. Mr. Stanislav was a co-owner of a landscaping and yard maintenance company, and his only criminal record was a attempted purse snatch when he was 18. He received a suspended sentence and has not offended since."

Jodi looks up at the various pictures on the big screens, then turns to directly address the group. "We have been given an official request by the Governors' office to come out and investigate, given the odd behavior of the local animals and the fact that the people attempting this snatch and run were all armed with some serious firepower that is not generally available to the public. Blue Bolt, can you please task some members of the team to look into this?"

He nods, saying, "I think that since the perps were using high powered lasers, Luminary would be a good choice, along with Dreamy to look into the possibility of some mental influence being used on the animals. Lady Justice and Terranaut can both provide some punching power, and we'll round off the group with Dawn and Chaser. Probably a bit of overkill, but I want to make sure that you won't be caught with your britches down if things go bad. You guys can either travel under your own power to Sacramento, or use the jet to zip up there."

"Just remember, this is your first deployment as a team. Work together, and support one another. If you have any questions, I am just a phone call away. Any questions that can be answered by Jodi before you meet up with local law enforcement?"

Deb as Luminary looks around at the others and says, "Sacramento is just a couple of hours away by car; my own flight powers will get me there in no time at all. If someone needs a lift, I'm sure that there is plenty of people capable of offering a ride."

She sits and thinks a bit, trying to take in the details. "Wow. A kidnapping attempt? That is low. But, in my experience, most pedophiles don't work in groups like that, including a woman, and then when you add in the energy weapons, well, I understand why the Governor wants us to respond. Jodi? I have many requests of the local PD that I'd like passed on ahead of us. Assuming that the one survivor has no objections, I would like to question him. Also, we need to talk to this girl, Rebecca. The intervention of so many animals arriving so fast screams to me that there is a mental power involved. Is there any past indications that she is a metahuman? What about any other members of her family? Have there been any credible threats leveled against the Governor?"

"You guys can either travel under your own power to Sacramento, or use the jet to zip up there."
"I can just run it, no need to slow myself down with a jet or nothing."

"Wow. A kidnapping attempt? That is low. But, in my experience, most pedophiles don't work in groups like that, including a woman, and then when you add in the energy weapons, well, I understand why the Governor wants us to respond. Jodi? I have many requests of the local PD that I'd like passed on ahead of us. Assuming that the one survivor has no objections, I would like to question him. Also, we need to talk to this girl, Rebecca. The intervention of so many animals arriving so fast screams to me that there is a mental power involved. Is there any past indications that she is a metahuman? What about any other members of her family? Have there been any credible threats leveled against the Governor?"
"Your experience?"

"Just remember, this is your first deployment as a team. Work together, and support one another. If you have any questions, I am just a phone call away. Any questions that can be answered by Jodi before you meet up with local law enforcement?"
"You know your boy'll do what he can to help out." Chaser smirked and nodded to Blue Bolt before turning to Jodi. "Yo, you said these two guys, they're not really criminals? I mean, they are now, but kind of a first time thing for 'em? Y'all thinkin' they might've been under some kinda weird influence too?" He shrugged and looked between the various members of the team. "'Cause that'd make sense to me."

"I can just run it, no need to slow myself down with a jet or nothing."

"Your experience?"

"You know your boy'll do what he can to help out." Chaser smirked and nodded to Blue Bolt before turning to Jodi. "Yo, you said these two guys, they're not really criminals? I mean, they are now, but kind of a first time thing for 'em? Y'all thinkin' they might've been under some kinda weird influence too?" He shrugged and looked between the various members of the team. "'Cause that'd make sense to me."
Luminary looks over at Chaser with a grim expression. "This is not the first kidnapping that I have dealt with. I was lucky enough to find and rescue the little girl that was taken, but not before the perp assaulted her. It took all of my willpower to avoid meting out my own justice to the man, but was able to restrain myself. Now, he is locked away for the next twenty five years, dealing with the California penal system."

She listens to what her fellow team member is suggesting about the men being mentally influenced, and she nods. "You may be right. Dreamy? Is it possible for you to tell if someone has been controlled by a mental power?"

[For those that wish to add something to the press conference, feel free to do so.]

I thought Dreamy had with the mentioning of a possible invasion of Earth by aliens with that last paragraph, but... *shrugs and smiles* No worries. The game goes on! =)

* * *​

It is a full week after the press conference when the first call comes in. Everyone that is not currently at the Tower gets a call on their FoJ issues cell phones, asking them to come in and meet up in the briefing room. When everyone gets there, one of the support crew, a lady named Jodi Mills, calls for your attention.

When Dreamy is issued her very first telephone, she sits down with someone (anyone really) who has both the skill and the patience to teach her what this thing is, what it's supposed to do, and what it really does. It probably becomes clear to anyone helping or witnessing that Dreamy has no idea how to operate a smartphone. She makes comments like, "Oh, when I press this, the letter appears on the screen!" and "What is wireless communication?" and so forth - a believer in science reaching out to understand. Regardless of the answers provided, in the end, the cosmic Kairissian is happy enough just learning the very basics of using a smartphone. =)

The first scat here, syllable for syllable thanks to Dreamy having Eidetic Memory. =)

* * *​

Several uneventful days go by, and the bulk of the East Coast team leaves to go back to New York, leaving Blue Bolt as the only 'old hand' left behind. He warns everyone to be ready for anything; now that the team is set, you will be expected to deploy as needed to trouble spots across the west half of the country.

Sleepless Dreamy spends this time getting to know the staff and the grounds and anything interesting to be shared and learned among both. =)

"Yo, you said these two guys, they're not really criminals? I mean, they are now, but kind of a first time thing for 'em? Y'all thinkin' they might've been under some kinda weird influence too?" He shrugged and looked between the various members of the team. "'Cause that'd make sense to me."

After someone explains what a kidnapper is ("Is that a person who naps alongside kids?"), Dreamy replies to Chaser. "Um, yo, I too am wondering the same. Both the Carbonites and non-enlightened life forms could be suffering from mental control. If so, this may suggest third parties doing the controlling, possibly on both sides of the conflict, from the shadows if you will."

She listens to what her fellow team member is suggesting about the men being mentally influenced, and she nods. "You may be right. Dreamy? Is it possible for you to tell if someone has been controlled by a mental power?"

Casually, Dreamy and ponders, "Yes. Probability differs depending on the willingness of the subject as I have no development in the realm of Mind Control. I can meet with the subjects and make attempts?

Dreamy looks wistful as she thinks back. "Most of the Carbonite wrongdoers I've chatted with on the way to police stations have expressed being wrongdoers for most of their existences. They claim they do what they know. It seems odd to me these would-be kidnappers Carbonites who follow their societies should break their lawful tendencies and traditions in such a sudden manner. If one follows logic, then either the would-be kidnappers chose or were somehow forced to take these violent actions.

"Oh. I have three additional questions! Is this Governor Talbert a visiting governor or are they a leader here in California? Why target their offspring?"

"What is 'killing'? Most of the Carbonites I ask this of deflect or change the subject for reasons I cannot ascertain. And the rest?" Dreamy tilts her head in confusion. "They provide confusing phrases I can't understand like, 'y'know, it's when you off somebody.' Pardon?"

"And... we're a crew, right? So... who is our captain? Oh, I suppose that's four questions, isn't it?" Dreamy purses her lips into a grin. "Um, that makes five."

Last edited:
Luminary looks over at Chaser with a grim expression. "This is not the first kidnapping that I have dealt with. I was lucky enough to find and rescue the little girl that was taken, but not before the perp assaulted her. It took all of my willpower to avoid meting out my own justice to the man, but was able to restrain myself. Now, he is locked away for the next twenty five years, dealing with the California penal system."
"Twenty five, huh?" Chaser muttered. "Eugh."

"What is 'killing'? Most of the Carbonites I ask this of deflect or change the subject for reasons I cannot ascertain. And the rest?" Dreamy tilts her head in confusion. "They provide confusing phrases I can't understand like, 'y'know, it's when you off somebody.' Pardon?"
"Oh, that's when you make somebody stop being alive," said Chaser casually. "Y'know, no more, uh..." He tapped his foot a few times and glared at some far corner of the room. After a moment he turned his head towards the alien and, very plainly, asked her a question. "You know what dead means, right?"

After a moment he turned to the alien and, very plainly, asked her a question. "You know what dead means, right?"

With the hoodie's hood pulled back, Dreamy shakes her head causing her long flame-orange hair to toss beautifully from side to side. She gave Chaser a stare that made her seem more unearthly than ever. "Uh, no. That's another word most Carbonites are avoiding." Dreamy puts her hands into the hoodie's pockets. "What do you mean by 'stop being alive'? Like 'Incarcerated' where they cease to live in society? Or do you mean their lifeglow has been rendered inert and they're in the process of being Recycled? Or are you speaking Earth-slang of some kind?"

"What do you mean by 'stop being alive'? Like 'Incarcerated' where they cease to live in society? Or do you mean their lifeglow has been rendered inert and they're in the process of being Recycled? Or are you speaking Earth-slang of some kind?"
"...can you tell me what this 'lifeglow' stuff is? That sounds like it might be what dead is."

Dreamy gasps in delight and stands up, her hands clasped as she gives Chaser her fullest attention. With a big smile, the Kairissian explains with womanly enthusiasm. "Lifeglow is what we call the force that living creatures possess until they expire. When one's lifeglow is rendered inert, their physical form permanently ceases to function while their persona drifts onward. The physical form they used remains, slowly decaying and nurturing the universe that formed it." Dreamy pauses as an idea seems to cross her mind. "Carbonites make traditions around being Recycled! Your people practice it every day with monuments!

"Even with your strange and slow birthing and growth process, Carbonites number into the billions today only because the lifeglows of previous Carbonites have been rendered inert. If this simple process of forming and Recycling did not occur, your world might be filled with tens of billions of Carbonites, all ancient in age by your standards!" Dreamy rubs her nose. "Um. Is that 'dead?'"

Miles blinked a few times behind his goggles. "Uh. Yeah, that's dead. Expired is dead."

He leaned in a bit and whispered. "Hey, you gotta tell me more 'bout this "drift on stuff" later. Back on the grind for right now- gotta focus on the mission, y'know?"

Dreamy folds her hands and beams in understand. "Oh, okay! To lack lifeglow is to... be 'dead!' And by context, dead seems to mean 'killed.' Finally, someone explained it to me! Thank you, Chaser!"

He leaned in a bit and whispered. "Hey, you gotta tell me more 'bout this "drift on stuff" later. Back on the grind for right now- gotta focus on the mission, y'know?"

Dreamy leans into Chaser and nods, whispering, "Well, that's... the big reason I'm asking. When we eventually find the discontent forces, you know, the... wrongdoing Carbonites or whatever they may be, I kind of need to know - do we Incarcerate them or Recycle them?"

Dreamy folds her hands and beams in understand. "Oh, okay! To lack lifeglow is to... be 'dead!' And by context, dead seems to mean 'killed.' Finally, someone explained it to me! Thank you, Chaser!"
"Not a prob!" Miles grinned coyly. "You know you can always trust your boy to give a straight answer."

Dreamy leans into Chaser and nods, whispering, "Well, that's... the big reason I'm asking. When we eventually find the discontent forces, you know, the... wrongdoing Carbonites or whatever they may be, I kind of need to know - do we Incarcerate them or Recycle them?"
"Incarcerate." The speedster answers quickly. "Just always assume we incarber- always assume we arrest 'em. No 'recycling' anybody."

Users who are viewing this thread