• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice The Fajadi Affair of Descending Fire RY 768 (Exalted 3e Dragon-Blooded) (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
So, what shall it be for our advancement system? Will we be using the xp chart, or the freebie chart? Either way, I am just interested in getting my character some play time.

This is my read of the situation.

As is, this addition has [Splat] XP, or in this case Dragon XP. As a player, I mostly used it for such things as abilities, attributes, and merits (which I always interpretted as 3xp for every dot added to the sheet, as anything else was exorbitantly expensive in my opinion). Huge counterpoint to this one is how prevalent artifacts and evocations are to this splat, which allow a sort of parallel for buying charms with this pool of XP.

Potential changes...
-Convert BP into XP.
You will still have the disparity caused from freebies, but it won't be exacerbated by BP. Attribute allocation is still a huge one here. We'd also be doing a lot of rework on characters
-Convert XP into BP. Seems like this is also somewhat controversial, as there is a too easy sort of vibe to the flat progression style, but the punishing aspect of mixing freebies, flat, and scaling disappears. We can keep what we already established and it will only matter as XP is earned and spent.
-Complete point buy. Lot of work and math here. We'd all be starting from scratch to try and get back to where we were (though we could potentially apply it to each person's sheet as is and just use the highest as the standard...lot of math).

My input: I like what I have, so I'd prefer to either convert XP to BP or go as is and try and use Dragon XP as a remedy for the psychological torture of opportunity cost.

You left out using mostly flat xp-costs. As magnificentmomo magnificentmomo pointed out, there's a lot of little xp costs that would be a bother to convert, to say nothing of Dragon XP. I think I'm in favour of picking a flat cost for all scalable xp-costs in the area of twice their bp cost.

the psychological torture of opportunity cost
Yeah, this is it exactly.

I had mentally compartmentalized that into XP into BP for simplicity. Really the root of the issue is how freebie points, flat cost point buy, and scaling cost point buy interact when they all exist at once. The only way to mitigate the opportunity cost (but what if) torture is to pull at least one out of that mix.

Redoing chargen is a no-sell IMO.

I'm going to go with a flat XP. As stated, the crux of the matter is Opportunity Cost, leading to FOMO. I like an BP/XP divide, personally, since defining what a starting character can be and how they can progress should have somewhat different end goals, as long as the lost opportunity cost isn't too great, and any tradeoffs are presented clearly (no gotchas)

All that, said, regardless of what progression model we choose, we can't spend XP we don't have, so maybe we should start posting in our IC thread.
Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood Esbilon Esbilon Psychie Psychie

Also, Epiphany Epiphany , read over your BG and quite enjoyed it. Point of interest, I envision no small portion of the materials pulled from the behemoth under Fajad have various medicinal applications, some as psychotropics. Also the fact that there is an infamous sorcerer in residence in Fajad, although reclusive, is probably of note.

Woo! We're going! I hope it's OK if it's a bit of time before my reworked sheet is up, I'm going to a festival tomorrow, so if I don't finish it tonight or tomorrow morning, it may be up to a week until I'm done.

Will you post an official price list here?

Yeah, I'm probably just going to use whatever the 3 dot cost is TBH, but it won't really be an issue until you all have XP to spend. I'll put off that homework until it is due.

I don't plan on a super aggressive posting schedule. I have a day job, a 2 year old girl, and a 4 month old boy who isn't sleeping through the night yet. So it will probably be a bit before you'd have to break out dice, except maybe a social roll or two. Depending on how things go you won't necessarily have to worry about rolling JB just yet.

I feel your pain. I have two kids of my own; one that's twenty, and my little one that's five.

Sherwood Sherwood I just noticed "Major (positive): No mercy to the enemies of Creation, the Realm, or Heretics" You are aware that this city is full of heretics, right? I foresee some conflict, depending on hoe you read that intimacy.

I'm expecting we are going to do something to undermine them at the least. Expunging them all together is not out of the realm of possibility.

EDIT: Makin a trip to my brother's for family night, then I'm all over joining IC.

Sherwood Sherwood I just noticed "Major (positive): No mercy to the enemies of Creation, the Realm, or Heretics" You are aware that this city is full of heretics, right? I foresee some conflict, depending on hoe you read that intimacy.
Good point. I'll have to modify that to keep from getting into too much trouble. I was just trying to make sure that I had several intimacies listed on my sheet.

Also, Epiphany Epiphany , read over your BG and quite enjoyed it. Point of interest, I envision no small portion of the materials pulled from the behemoth under Fajad have various medicinal applications, some as psychotropics. Also the fact that there is an infamous sorcerer in residence in Fajad, although reclusive, is probably of note.

Glad Neqel's enjoyable to read! She was interesting to write and turned out somewhat differently than I'd originally envisioned the concept.

I've been wiped this week with work and my own 2 year old. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the time to try to read and learn how 3e does artifacts and Charms and hearthstones so I can get the sheet done.

Yeah, same day I posted IC, my daughter realized she can leave her bed, open her door, and cry, all at the same time, so I've been fighting a war of attrition for the last couple days.

Hope to catch up later today.

Hello Everyone,

Am joining this game, and am building a Ragara Geomancer... So, those of you who will want a Manse free of ties to their House, get on my good side... :-)

Speaking of Charms, I am wondering about the fact that the Air Dragon Style doesn't have an Excellency Keyword Charm in its tree for me to use. Would I be able to buy Thrown Charms and use them with my Chakrams and combine them with my Martial Art style?

Speaking of Charms, I am wondering about the fact that the Air Dragon Style doesn't have an Excellency Keyword Charm in its tree for me to use. Would I be able to buy Thrown Charms and use them with my Chakrams and combine them with my Martial Art style?

Become the Hammer, the Excellency for Brawl works well for Martial Arts as well.

magnificentmomo magnificentmomo I am finishing up the last of the stuff I need to complete the character, but I do have one question. My character has studied at both the Learned Bastion (a Ragara school of Geomancy, in the Ragara writeup), and in the Heptagram. Normally, to take one of the merits associated with a Sorcerous Initiation, one must have been through that initiation. But my character isn't a sorcerer. Would i still be allowed to take the Geomantic Prodigy merit?

my family has naught to do with either at this point.
I hate to be the guy who picks at other people's characters, but the great Houses do not let people have their own manses. They'll keep their noses out of how you use them so long as they're not destroyed, but they consider them theirs. And if you take actions that could harm the manses, or try and sell them off to outsiders, they will make their displeasure know.

Also, sorry about my absence. I was at a music festival for most of last week, and have a bit later than I'd like in getting back into it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back