• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Empire of Alstasia - S U C C E S S I O N

TYPE

Now what?
1549315221717.png
♕ The Empire of Alstasia ♕
S U C C E S S I O N

The Great War has ended. Two hundred years. Two hundred years… Of cities burning. Of countrysides torched. First by invading forces, having looted what they could, then by peasants who had to drag the corpses of would-be heroes and enemies into heaps outside the walls, and watch the faces of the young and the brave go up in flames. Sickness had come, as the scars left by war became infected by time. The war had claimed millions. The Plague that followed it killed tens of millions. Entire cities torched by their former inhabitants, water supplies drained and the clay beneath the water left to bake in the summer sun.

Before long the war itself seemed to have become an afterthought. Something generals did when they remembered they still had to hate entire nations. If there was a victor in the affair, it was death. The war came to a close, not with a ceremony and the public shaming of a fallen enemy. It came to a close when soldiers refused to fight anymore. When Kings and Emperors alike mourned the decimation of their once proud lines. It came to a close when an entire nation formed in revolt - and their secession was met with quiet nods, and promises of future aid, should they need it.

1549315359664.png
Emperor Lucius the Last - Fourth of His Name, Lord Protector of the Empire of Alstasia

The Breckenridge line had served the people of Alstasia since its inception. More than one-and-a-half-thousand years ago they were the brave who chased away wild boars and mountain lions when a young people settled in the cold north, having been driven away from their pleasantly temperate ancestral climes to the south. They were the first to form militia, the first to offer protection in return for service, the first to claim a crown, and the first to start a war. Upon the death of a King, and later - an Emperor - the great houses of Alstasia elect a replacement. It had always been so. The right to rule was earned. It would always be. In the long history of the world, the Breckenridge have held the crown more times than all other houses combined. They have always been prone to deification. Even in losing their first war did they win the hearts of their people. Even in suffering an invasion did they win allies they would never have won before. Even in losing the crown to another house did they manage to change Alstasia for the good.

Now… one Breckenridge remains. Emperor Lucius the Last, fourth of his name. He who mourns the end of his dynasty, alone in his palace, clothed in black at all times, awaiting his end. Upon his death the six great houses will become five. From among those five would be chosen his replacement. Never again will there be a Breckenridge on the throne. His replacement would choose a new House to replace his, and one of the pillars of Alstasia will crumble away into history. That day however, has not come yet. He was the last Breckenridge. He would face this as his family had done all their lives. They faced death on battlefields, in sieged fortresses, in medical tents, and on the high seas. He would face his own too. Even if that meant he had to call them to his home.

You are of the five most noble houses of Alstasia. Your house remains fortunate in that it has lineage left to spare. When the last son of the Emperor died, the reality of what would come to pass set in. You, or those like you, would be vying for the throne. The Emperor is old. Not yet to the point where he might die any moment… but he is old. And the other four houses would be readying their charges. You would be readied as well. Perhaps not just you… cousins and siblings with similar ambitions might offer you challenges much closer to home, but one thing remains certain. Your house deserves this. And you would see it so. If not you, you will ensure one of you make it. This is too important an opportunity to let slip. Yes, Alstasia will be losing a great house to history… but, so too will another house have the chance to make history.

Greetings, and welcome

I am glad you have showed some interest in this. We have a rather elaborate history set up, points of interest, family goals, and various other sources through which you might enrich your role-play. As it is, you would be creating a potential candidate for the throne. While there have been many elder Emperors and Kings, this is a world post a 200 year war. The nation is exhausted, and it’s allies are spent. If ever there has needed to be faith in the crown, it would be now. As such, a young, keen, charismatic, and just candidate will most likely be chosen. One that can restore faith in the idea of a dynasty and carry the mythic mantle of the passing House. If you are not all, or none, of these things, then you better be good at pretending you are.

You have been called to the home of the Emperor, who refuses to allow for conflict post his death. He would see all quarreling done before his time. He would not risk another war. This offers you the chance to not only gain his favor, but also study your competition, and - perhaps sway, convert, bribe or extort them into casting their votes for you. For not only will you be going there to win favor, but you will attend as the Electorate, and you will choose your new Emperor. And seeing as you can’t vote for yourself, you have some work to do.

The five houses available and their primary candidates are...

The Van Schaik - The Eldest Son and Heir of the Earl - Taken by - TYPE TYPE
The Kirkland - The Eldest Nephew and Heir of the Marchioness - Taken by - Braddington Braddington

The Wright - The Eldest Son or Daughter of the Duchess
The Locklow - The Eldest Son or Daughter of the Count
The Hacaster - The Eldest Son or Daughter of the Marquis

NOTE: These are not part of an exhausted list. You may make cousins, siblings or even young uncles or aunts who may also be vying for the throne. If you so choose, you could also create an important member of the family who is part of the electorate, but who does not wish to actually be considered for the crown. In doing this, you could play a vital ally to your family’s candidate.

This seems pretty cool! I'd definitely be interested ^^

Of course! The proud old Wright with their right hand man thing going on with Breckenridges and the Hacaster with their mystery. Both are great choices.

Gotta keep your friends close, amirite.

Tis important to note that the Hacaster are clearly, utterly and completely innocent of all suspicions. There is nothing nefarious about their actions at all.

Of course! They seem like a swell bunch. I think I'm leaning towards Wright right about now.

Eldest son of the Duchess? Count me in for Wright!

Or one of the other ones. I like the setting more than which house I get to play.

Gotta keep your friends close, amirite.

Of course! They seem like a swell bunch. I think I'm leaning towards Wright right about now.
Excellent! We will be monitoring this and expanding as we go. CSs should be up post haste. I can't wait to see what you have in mind.

Eldest son of the Duchess? Count me in for Wright!

Or one of the other ones. I like the setting more than which house I get to play.
Brilliant. Note that while the houses may have a primary candidate, any member could theoretically throw their hat in as long as they have the conviction and the charisma to pull votes. So if you want house and it's already filled, don't be afraid to add that ambitious cousin ready to steal the crown.

Brilliant. Note that while the houses may have a primary candidate, any member could theoretically throw their hat in as long as they have the conviction and the charisma to pull votes. So if you want house and it's already filled, don't be afraid to add that ambitious cousin ready to steal the crown.

Great! Since Arcanist displayed an interest first, I'll let him decide if he wants Wright. Otherwise I'll take Hacaster. He who controls the peasants controls the crown!

This looks awesome, I love the detail in the world-building! And the map!

A couple questions-

What's the technology level of this world? The Van Schaik family seems to be the most advanced in that area, what with the standardized mass production of weaponry, but are there canons or rifles or things of that nature in-universe or on the horizon? (I don't particularly mind either way, but sometimes I read about a setting and interpret it very differently than someone else, and then I'm all sorts of surprised when people have automobiles, and I thought we were dealing with an analogous Regency era at the latest!)

Also I noticed the link to the D&D spell list for magic users- Will there be game-style mechanics to determine outcomes of interactions, or will it be more based on discussion between the writers about advancing the plot/conflicts?

This looks awesome, I love the detail in the world-building! And the map!

A couple questions-

What's the technology level of this world? The Van Schaik family seems to be the most advanced in that area, what with the standardized mass production of weaponry, but are there canons or rifles or things of that nature in-universe or on the horizon? (I don't particularly mind either way, but sometimes I read about a setting and interpret it very differently than someone else, and then I'm all sorts of surprised when people have automobiles, and I thought we were dealing with an analogous Regency era at the latest!)

Also I noticed the link to the D&D spell list for magic users- Will there be game-style mechanics to determine outcomes of interactions, or will it be more based on discussion between the writers about advancing the plot/conflicts?
Hey! Cannons are a thing, and rifles and the like may be on the horison. Perhaps even a pet project of your character. Feel free to explore. Definitely no automobiles though. As for the DnD magic, it's mostly for flavour. I just wanted a semi-balanced spell list that was already made. If there is conflict it will be resolved via out of character negotiations. Thanks for showing interest. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Great! Since Arcanist displayed an interest first, I'll let him decide if he wants Wright. Otherwise I'll take Hacaster. He who controls the peasants controls the crown!

If you wouldn't mind, could I take Wright? I'm not sure how well I could do Hacaster XD but I'm always up for a sneaky cousin arc if you're still up for Wright.

It'll probably take me a few days or so to get a sheet together!

If you wouldn't mind, could I take Wright? I'm not sure how well I could do Hacaster XD but I'm always up for a sneaky cousin arc if you're still up for Wright.

It'll probably take me a few days or so to get a sheet together!

Hmm, that sounds interesting. But with you being the eldest son the only Arc I can think of is the cliche Thor/Loki type of relationship where I'm jealous and try to kill you, lol.

I'll take Hacaster. A morally bankrupt, science-loving, necromancy obsessed son of the Marquis XD

Hmm, that sounds interesting. But with you being the eldest son the only Arc I can think of is the cliche Thor/Loki type of relationship where I'm jealous and try to kill you, lol.

I'll take Hacaster. A morally bankrupt, science-loving, necromancy obsessed son of the Marquis XD

Who doesn't love a Loki/Thor arc? XD but that's fair enough! Thanks for that.

I look forward to interacting with the necromancer in the making!

Awesome! So much activity already. It's nice to see!

Anyone just browsing the thread, please do remember that you can take family members! With the permission of the original claimant, of course

Then again, I already have a few RP's going on and I was thinking of starting my own. Maybe if that doesn't pan out.

Braddington Braddington Could there possibly be room for an ambitious, yet overlooked minor Noble Family that might just be good enough at playing their cards to gain a throne?

I've always wanted to play a sort of Peter Baelish type figure vying for the throne, or perhaps a chance to be the one behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back