• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The Dust: A Post Apocalyptic Zombie & Folklore RP

Peacemaker .45

Gigachad.jpg >“why yes I don’t proofread my posts”
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

• intro

Cortege

John Lunn

Overview

T

he year was 2043, and the Western World was in a state of devastating civil wars, with destruction and human toll on track to that of the Second World War. But soon, the civil wars and their destruction would be interrupted by a threat far greater than that the West, or the world, has ever seen. But in order to understand this threat, one would have to look at what happened on July 14th, 2024.

On a warm day in mid July in 2021 in the Nahanni River Valley in the Northwest Territories in Canada, an explosion would disturb the desolate National Park and Preserve. Due to the isolated and largely uninhabited nature of the area, reports were nonexistent for a time, and official governmental response was slow at first. Once the Canadian government got word of a serious explosion, they dispatched a team to investigate the situation. What would follow would be highly classified, with documents almost completely blacked out. Wild rumors circulated, but nothing was confirmed. After a week or so, the Canadian government put out a statement. In it, they claimed a small asteroid impacted an area in the Nahanni River Valley. A wildfire broke out as a result, and teams were actively trying to contain the fire. It wouldn’t be for several months later that the government would come forward with findings from this piece of space rock that impacted the earth. In it, they explained that the first signs of life outside our planet were confirmed, with the existence of an organic powder that was found stored within the remnants of the asteroid.

The years afterwards were full of speculation and supposed whistleblowers coming forth with classified information about the recovery of this organic material. As such, conspiracies about the asteroid core being of intelligent design housing this “dust,” as the organic compound became referred to as, and that it was being tested on humans. Governments categorically denied this. But in 2024, corporations and governments began to break news that this dust was found to be a miracle cure to almost all illnesses. They claimed that in controlled studies, people suffering from things such as cancer, even terminally ill cases, had complete recovery in under 24 hours. From minor infections to genetic disorders, this dust was proving to be an incredibly effective tool in combatting human and animal health disorders. As such, a medical revolution followed, with the dust becoming used as the cure to everything. It was even cleared, in small doses, as a supplement readily and commonly available at stores worldwide.

However, with great success came great questioning and resistance. A large portion of the populace renounced this miracle drug, believing it was being used for nefarious reasons by both the government and corporations, combined with anecdotal stories that were claimed to be coverups of strange side effects coming from usage of this dust. As the years went on, this division between these groups of people and the government and corporations only grew, as more and more events lead the Western World down the path towards civil war. And in 2040, the Western world erupted in civil war.

At first, the fighting was isolated and random throughout the countries in the West. Small scale battles raged randomly in different areas. But as time went on, things only worsened. Factions of the military would break off and cause infighting, while cities and towns became ground zero as the war grew larger. The governments at first were successful in thwarting the initial attacks from being effective. But as time for on and the rebellious forces in the countries became larger, better armed, and more organized, the destruction and death toll would only begin to rise. Entire towns and cities burned or were bombed into oblivion, civilians were caught in the crossfire. The war only became bloodier and bloodier as the years began to pass.

But these wars would be stopped in their tracks when the parasite attacked. And the world would fall to its knees, at the mercy of this parasite.

As the war raged on in 2042, the rebels in many Western countries were turning the tide of war, and winning on many fronts. But as the rebels pushed towards the capitals of their respective countries, something horrifying happened. People began to deform, their bodies violently changing. These people, these monsters, began to turn on their fellow man, biting some, devouring others. Nothing was spared: elderly, children, women, and even animals fell prey to this horror.

This horror would be found out to be a product of the dust humanity had been using heavily throughout the world, and the parasite it was became known. Wars still raged, but they were shattered and complicated. Entire cities would be bombed, burned into oblivion. Both sides in the conflict did whatever they could to control the outbreak of this parasite. But every strategy failed. While the beginning of the outbreak showed an unorganized attack by the parasite. The sheer number of infected and the speed at which the parasite spread was what gave them an advantage. As more and more people were consumed, and cities became giant hives of biomass, the attacks became more intelligent and coordinated. By late 2043, actions of desperation for whatever remained of governments would see the only second use of nuclear weapons in history, but this time far more widespread and dramatic. As many of the governments convened and discussed what to do, they came to the conclusion that cities and highly infected area would need to be bombed and destroyed to oblivion. This was because the complicated webs of interconnected tentacles of the parasite's biomass revealed the construction of a large central intelligence, one that guided the parasite in its attacks and strategy, which only became more complicated and intelligent as the biomass and infected added up. Numerous central intellgiences sprung up around the world in cities where the outbreak was becoming large and completely uncontrolled. The parasite was even shown capable, at a certain point in the infection, of using electronics, electronic infrastructure, and machinery. Because of this, nuclear weapons were deployed in mass, being utilized to asbombs and EMP's to disable electronics. This strategy proved effective, but it was not the final solution.

In the United States, the government forces captured a woman, the husband of the leader of the rebellion in the country. While she was to be put to death, it was discovered early on that she had an immunity to the parasite. The spores, that would infest a body and intelligently repair the body in preparation for an outbreak, had mutated, and began to actively fight all spores upon entry. It was believed that early on in the use of the dust in its infancy that if the spores had been corrupted, they would be incorporated into the immune system and actively fight any invasive spores of the parasite. With this development, and an alien construct recovered in the Nahanni River Valley Caves that they believe could be used to disperse the cure into the atmosphere into the atmosphere, a joint mission was launched between the United States and Canadian governments to bring this girl, who at the time was the only known individual with this immnunity, to the Nahanni River Valley where a secret underground miltary base was that had originally studied the dust upon initial recovery. This mission consisted of a small group of individuals, composed of special operations soldiers, the prisoner, scientists, and anyone deemed critical to the project, had to make the long, daunting trip from Camp Peary in York County, Virginia, to the area near Nahanni National Park and Preserve in the Northwest Territories, Canada where the base was. And with this, their last chance at defeating the parasite before the entirety of Earth is consumed by it.

***Important General RP Information***

The Dust is meant to be a semi-detailed to detailed RP. As such, I wouldn’t call this a casual-friendly RP. The desire is to have a community of writers who plot together, work together, and put out posts that aren’t one liners or a two short paragraphs, and have fun banter and talk on the side in the OOC.

While I do not require people who are trying to join to send me a sample post, I do encourage anyone who wishes to do so to go ahead and send me one. It won’t be a dealbreaker, so don’t feel like you need to send one. There aren’t going to be a lot of slots open to join to begin with, maybe 6 or 7 at the most. We currently have more than enough room to accept a few more characters before we start.

I don’t say any of this to discourage anyone from trying to join, I just want to be honest with people on what to expect, and help people decide whether this RP is the right one for you or not.

The RP is meant to follow a specific plot line with specific plot points to hit as the story progresses. But between these plot points will be freedom to entertain character arcs and subplots. There just will be a plot line that we follow.

If you actually read this entire thing, very cool, very based. With your reply in this thread, copy this picture into your post. It’ll confuse everyone.
    AE29D659-A836-4434-8F11-6356917AECFA.png

intro

Roles

rules

The Dust

The Parasite's
Outbreak

Genres

Horror, Mystery, Post Apocalyptic, Zombies, Folklore, Action & Adventure, Survival

Status

Accepting

Spots Open

Open - No Specific Numeric Target Currently

Questions?

Feel free to PM me or ask below!

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:
I love me a good ol’ Zombie apocalypse roleplay!

The Last of Us is making me scream and cry— a zombie RP is right up my alley on that one.

Very awesome premise and I hope to be as awesome to match it.

Amended. :D.

.1677110653386.png

Last edited:
Oooo very cool! Very interested

Attachments

• AE29D659-A836-4434-8F11-6356917AECFA.png
    AE29D659-A836-4434-8F11-6356917AECFA.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 4
Ooooo. Maybe this will scratch my 'The Last of Us' itch.
"The parasite was even shown capable, at a certain point in the infection, of using electronics, electronic infrastructure, and machinery."
Ummmm. What.
Anyway, count me in
ae29d659-a836-4434-8f11-6356917aecfa-png.1067167

"The parasite was even shown capable, at a certain point in the infection, of using electronics, electronic infrastructure, and machinery."
Ummmm. What.
By this I mean that the parasite is capable of using electronics, such as a combat form activating a laser on a gun in order to better see where they’re aiming when they shoot, or a light on a gun to illuminate dark areas. In the case of electronic infrastructure, they are capable of using a generator to supply power to a building, or being able to alternatively cut or restore power on a power grid.

Machinery just means that they can operate, very crudely, something like a vehicle.

This behavior isn’t common until the Parasite reaches the stage in its outbreak where a Central Intelligence is created, which I’m not sure we’ll reach or not in the RP itself.

I probably could’ve worded it better, my bad. I hope that clears up the confusion.

Well it's not so much that I didn't understand what you were talking about, I just meant "Eesh. Welp, we're dead."
But thanks for the detailed explanation. Now it sounds even more scary lol

Well it's not so much that I didn't understand what you were talking about, I just meant "Eesh. Welp, we're dead."
But thanks for the detailed explanation. Now it sounds even more scary lol
Oh lol my bad

Bumpin’!

We’re still looking for at least one CS submission before starting. If interested, go ahead and submit one! I’ll get back to you ASAP!

Last edited:
Bumpin’

We’re still able to accept another person or two if anyone’s interested.

I did add folklore to the title as to emphasize that, while we have a sort of zombie-ish main antagonist, there is going to be a lot of folklore that I intend to put into the RP. North America is rich with various types of folklore. And, as someone who enjoys learning about folklore and talking about it, this RP was meant to introduce those old folklore legends into it every now and then when the timing is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back