The Dreaming [OOC]

@Silvertongued any chance you can conjure an XP chart? It seems like people have an easier time parsing that than the usual paragraph on how to spend XP. 

0c1f282.jpg

Okay, so you have 60XP to spend on Attributes. If you look at the Duster sheet, most of your Attributes start at Rank 1, which is free. 

According to the chart, Rank 2 will cost 3XP. Then another 6XP for Rank 3. Then 9XP for Rank 4. 

Fitness starts at Rank 2, for Dusters, but treat it like it started at Rank 1 for the XP costs.

You have another 60XP to spend on Skills. 

According to the chart, Rank 1 is 2XP, Rank 2 is 1XP, and Rank 3 is 2XP again. Since Rank 3 is a good general competence level, I suggest buying Rank 3 in the most important stuff for your character - which would be 5XP, so you can just count it off in 5s.

Rank 4 and up are a little more complicated. Basically, you pick a Focus - a specific field within the Skill you're good at. For your farmer, a good Focus might be 

Administration 3

• Autofarm 4

The Skill stays at 3, but you can raise a Focus all the way to 6, and you can have more than one Focus if you pay for it. 

We'll worry about Advantages later. 

So does Autofarm 4 in that case cost 9xp, or is that only if we want to buy Administration 4? 

And in either case, what does a focus at 5 or 6 cost?

Let me put it this way. Skills above 3 require a specific focus, a specialization of your talents, if you will. Foci at 4+ count as skill levels above for the purposes of XP costs.

So say Melee 3->4 would cost, per the table 3 XP. I give it the Swords focus at 4. When using say... an axe, the skill only counts as rank 3.

Not quite - going from Rank 0 to Rank 3 is 5XP, and buying the Autofarm Focus is 3XP, for a total of 8XP.

Then you spend 6XP for Autofarm Rank 5, and 9XP for Autofarm Rank 6.

Basically the same as you did for Abyss, Greenbriar. 

Ok, so there is no general level 4 for attributes (at least not for mere mortals) and we use the same attribute costing again for foci on top of that.

Hang on, I'm confusing skills and attributes again. 

So, by what you said for Abyss we get a focus at level 4 - is that free or are we paying 3 for that? And do we still get the general skill at 4 or is that unavailable at any cost?

Dusters can get Fitness 5, because their base Fitness is 2, and it costs 9XP.  Other Attributes can't go over 4 without cybernetics, magic, or biomods. 

You never get general Skills above 3. Rank 4 of a Skill is the first level of the Focus. 

Sorry, this is so weirdly difficult to explain. Even examples never seem to communicate it right. 

Worry about character bio/personality for now. Once someone with more experience finishes a sheet that should be a decent example. 

Worry about character bio/personality for now. Once someone with more experience finishes a sheet that should be a decent example. 

I know who I am, may be a bit until I can write myself up though. 

My challenge with Grey's games is always the mechanics (my issue), not coming up with personality and backstories which fascinate me (which come very very easily with the story seeds).

Mechanics'll always be the trickiest part, until you've used them a little bit. 

I'll have 'life in Tombwatch' up shortly.

There are no such things as Magi anymore, right?

Also, what kind of technology do we have access to, and what are we capable of making?

There are no such things as Magi anymore, right?

Also, what kind of technology do we have access to, and what are we capable of making?

No, for reasons unknown, there are no more Magi.

You have access to some extremely hi-tech agricultural, mining, hydroponic, fabrication, and medical devices. But they're limited in number, no one knows how they work (aside a couple that relevant experts insist shouldn't work), and can't be reproduced. 

You can make things pretty much on-par with 21st century real world tech, but resources are limited - you have to leave the city to mine for some stuff, and other things have to be traded for from other settlements or the rare interplanetary trader. 

I'm after finding out the reason my HTML wan't executing as I wanted after an hour of exploring what the fuck was happening, was because the text editor I was editing things in uses a slightly different symbol for ''. In fact, it uses ”, something the in-site editor took exception to. Without telling me.

I'm going to give this a break for tonight, because although I've got it mostly working, I still have to update my daily quests and I've already used my day off.

But wait until tomorrow, when I iron everything out and fix this shit up nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread