• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Dragon of Icespire Peak: a (heavily adapted) D&D adventure

Ellya

oi mate

THE DRAGON OF ICESPIRE PEAK
A (heavily adapted) D&D adventure

9g73AxW.png

ADVENTURE DESCRIPTION
Driven from lands farther north by more powerful dragons, a young white dragon named Cryovain has descended upon the Sword Mountains, claiming the snow-capped range as its domain. Typical of its kind, Cryovain is dim-witted and cruel. The dragon patrols the skies around Icespire Peak, surveying its territory while hunting for food and easy treasure. With each passing day, the dragon's domain grows as it ranges farther across the land, preying on anything it can catch with its claws or freeze to death with its icy breath. Sightings of the dragon are becoming more common, as are its attacks.

A crumbling fortress on the northeasy spur of Icespire Peak serves as the dragon's lair. Cryovain seized the icy fortress from a tribe of savage orcs, killign the orc war chief and forcing the tribe's survivors to flee into the foothills and forests. Enraged by the death of their war chief, the orcs have called upon ancient allies, evil, shapechanging, half-orc spellcasters who bless and advise them. These half-orcs worship Talos, an evil god of storms, and many dwell in the dark depths of Neverwinter wood. In stormy weather, they gather on remote hilltops to summon Gorthok the Thunder Boar, a primal entity that serves Talos. Like the god it serves, Gorthok delights in destruction.

The orcs aren't the only creatures thrown into upheaval by Cryovain's sudden arrival. A manticore driven from its mountaintop nest by the roaming white dragon has migrated to the foothills and begun terrorizing folk living on the outskirts of the mining town Phandalin. Other monsters in the region have been similarly displaced.

RULESET
Although this is technically a Dungeons & Dragons Fifth edition adventure, the rules will be bent significantly. Dice rolling, stats and skills will play much less of a role than character interaction and story. Because of the following adapted rules, you do not need to be familiar with D&D to play in this adventure.

These are the specific adaptions I will be making to the 5e ruleset (you do not need to read these if you don't know the rules anyway):
  • Combat will be free flowing. This means you do not need to roll for every single attack or every bit of damage. I will keep you updated on the general (visual) health of any creatures you may fight, and I will let you know whether or not your attacks hit when I post.
  • You decide when you roll. Mostly. I may ask for general rolls for perception or investigation or similar on larger updates, but anywhere else, you decide if you want to roll for something or not. Wanna try to find something cool in a pile of bones? Roll for me. Wanna try to shoot two arrows at the same time? Roll for me. Wanna do a backflip and land on top of a phoenix in mid-air? Roll for me (but it will probably fail).
These are the things we will be doing according to the D&D 5e rules:
  • Stats: you will have general stat scores (see below) in order to give you some advantage on certain rolls. As described above though, rolling will be much less common than in an actual D&D game.
  • HP: we will in fact be tracking HP. Your HP will always equal your hit dice multiplied by your level. Monsters will have no (visible) HP but I will describe their general state, and I will also tell you which amounts of damage you will be taking.
  • Rolling (partially)
  • General fantasy setting
Always have your stats somehow visible when you post. Either paste them at the top of each post, or paste a link to your character sheet, make a tab to put them in, I don't mind as long as I can see them. This is mostly for me to see how good you would be at something and to track your HP to prevent any god-mode shenanigans.

YOUR CHARACTER
I will be allowing OC characters as well as existing Fandom characters. Do mind that your character will have close to no powers or weapons at all. I will allow essentially everything a level 1 D&D character can do (basic weapons, low level spells and cantrips). Please adapt your Fandom characters if they have such powers, I trust that everyone will know what is too powerful. If you have any doubts, please feel free to message me!
kYPVevl.png

Stats
You will have six main stats:
  • Strength: raw physical strength and power
  • Dexterity: how nimble and quick your character is
  • Constitution: hardyness, how many hits you can take
  • Wisdom: knowledge from experience
  • Intelligence: knowledge from studies
  • Charisma: :blowkiss: or :/:
In your sign-up post, you may assign these six scores to these stats: 19, 16, 15, 12, 10, 8. I would like to think that it speaks for itself that your character will be very good at the stat you assign 20 to, and quite bad at what you assign 8 to. We will not be using these actual stats, but the modifiers that are derived from them (see table to the right).

Everybody will start off with an HP of 50.
Keep note of your stats (and maybe modifiers if you're new to d&d) in each post!

Additionally, you may add the following perks to your character:
Ability Score Increase:
You may increase one stat score by +2 or two scores by +1 (up to a maximum of 20).
Advantage:
You may pick one stat that you will get to roll with advantage. This means you will get to roll two dice per roll, and pick the higher of the two numbers.

PRACTICAL INFO
This will be my first time ever running any kind of roleplay. I want to keep everyone entertained and happy, and for the reason of managing your expectations, I do want to inform everyone of the following:
  • Some rules will be made up as we go along. This will always be with your enjoyment in mind.
  • Post frequency may be inconsistent. I live in the EU timezone and while I will try to at least make a few posts per day, some days may be more active or completely inactive. I will inform everyone when the inactivity may last for a longer time.
  • OOC will happen in a separate thread here on RPN but I will not be actively following that thread. You can always ping me or dm me with any questions or other things you wish to talk about.
  • Since this is my first time running an rp, I'll only allow 10 players. Or like, eleven, maybe twelve, or nine or eight.

TLDR Use any character you want with 19, 17, 14, 11, 10 and 8 assigned to your stats (and +2 to one or +1 to two, plus advantage on one score).
Your character has very limited powers.
Always post your stats and HP (50 max) with each post.
Combat will require no rolls, only descriptions of what you try.
You decide when you want to roll for something.
Rules may be changed halfway through. Deal with it bro, I'm the DM.

OOC

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest lads, since 4 is a party I'll get started on some prep :^)

Here's a link to an OOC thread where all roleplay related things can be discussed (though questions and important things should probably be dm'd to me)

Ellya Ellya
Is the ability score increase on top of the normal racial bonus? Or is it a replacement?

I don't want to complicate things too much for people who are new to d&d and mostly focus on roleplay instead of feats and bonuses, so I'd say racial bonuses aren't a factor here. So yeah, let's call it a replacement :^)

My blood is fresher than pie. That is, if you're still taking in players... which you are... please stop reading this-

My blood is fresher than pie. That is, if you're still taking in players... which you are... please stop reading this-
Hell yeah, looking forward to your character!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back