• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Dragon Contract | OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Lemme also throw in a dragon

Frysirril (a.k.a Frieda)
300s // Her Excellency the Lord High Dragon // Dragon​

• STR▰▰▰▰
    DEX
    CON
    CHA▰▰▰
    INT▰▰▰
    WIS
    In contrast to dragons in popular believes, Freida is surprisingly social, occasionally willing to share her territory with other dragons or sometimes even travellers. However she is also known for her especially disastrous rampages, in which she would consume entire herds and incinerate whole settlements, which increase in destructive enthusiasm if the she is sharing her territory, possibly akin to "showing off to one's peers" or a way of establishing dominance.

The character thread says not to post them there until they are approved. either through OOC or PM

The character thread says not to post them there until they are approved. either through OOC or PM
Oh? Hmm well that changes things. I was under the impression we were given permission to post there.

Ahhh! I see. Welian had changed up the rules there. Carry on then, gentleman!

I am behind on RP stuff, so I'm recruiting volunteers to help me write down and organize setting info.

Here's what I need:
  • Pictures - we're going to start in the semi-ruined capital city of the dragons, which I still need a name for. If you like browsing Pinterest and Imgur, this is your time to shine. I need...
    • Abandoned villages
    • Castle or fortress ruins
    • General fantasy scenery
    • For no particular reason at all, knights slaying dragons
  • Locations
    • See how in the Lore thread I made up the "Glassy Hills"? We're going to make a couple of places like that.
    • I'm currently working on a map of the starting area using this cool random generator I found. This URL goes to the exact map I made. We're going to replace a lot of those district names with something cooler, and I'm taking suggestions, which brings me to my next point.
  • Language: For reasons completely unrelated to my lack of energy and my Catholic upbringing, I've decided that the language of the mainline dragons (aka the Red Dragon Queen and her immediate clan) will be Latin or Latin-adjacent.
    • Following my harebrained logic, I believe that the various mythical races will probably have names that reflect the language of the part of the world they're from, for example, Fae names are probably Celtic-sounding.
    • If you already named your character, don't sweat it, just own it.
  • Magic info: I don't have a magic system. I do not plan on having a universal magic system. What I do plan on, is having different cultures in the realm of Dragonia to have different kinds of magic, sort of like how people have different art styles and argue over which one is the better art form. I also have this Functional Magic page from TvTropes, and I think Ritual Magic describes the contracts pretty well, don't you? Anyways, I need some volunteers to start babbling about magic. We're gonna throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.
  • Actual Lore:
    • Like, history and shit. I need to make a timeline at some point, like how a thousand years ago the contract was made. I guess we can organize it into Before Contract and After Contract?
  • An Outline:
    • Organizing info sucks, does anyone have examples of well-organized lore?

*viciously memorising all the latin legal terms to make my dragon sounds like a lawyer*
2DED0C69-0F82-4DB2-B4FA-A68F10FD3006.jpeg

I am behind on RP stuff, so I'm recruiting volunteers to help me write down and organize setting info.

Here's what I need:
  • Pictures - we're going to start in the semi-ruined capital city of the dragons, which I still need a name for. If you like browsing Pinterest and Imgur, this is your time to shine. I need...
    • Abandoned villages
    • Castle or fortress ruins
    • General fantasy scenery
    • For no particular reason at all, knights slaying dragons
  • Locations
    • See how in the Lore thread I made up the "Glassy Hills"? We're going to make a couple of places like that.
    • I'm currently working on a map of the starting area using this cool random generator I found. This URL goes to the exact map I made. We're going to replace a lot of those district names with something cooler, and I'm taking suggestions, which brings me to my next point.
  • Language: For reasons completely unrelated to my lack of energy and my Catholic upbringing, I've decided that the language of the mainline dragons (aka the Red Dragon Queen and her immediate clan) will be Latin or Latin-adjacent.
    • Following my harebrained logic, I believe that the various mythical races will probably have names that reflect the language of the part of the world they're from, for example, Fae names are probably Celtic-sounding.
    • If you already named your character, don't sweat it, just own it.
  • Magic info: I don't have a magic system. I do not plan on having a universal magic system. What I do plan on, is having different cultures in the realm of Dragonia to have different kinds of magic, sort of like how people have different art styles and argue over which one is the better art form. I also have this Functional Magic page from TvTropes, and I think Ritual Magic describes the contracts pretty well, don't you? Anyways, I need some volunteers to start babbling about magic. We're gonna throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.
  • Actual Lore:
    • Like, history and shit. I need to make a timeline at some point, like how a thousand years ago the contract was made. I guess we can organize it into Before Contract and After Contract?
  • An Outline:
    • Organizing info sucks, does anyone have examples of well-organized lore?

Go some magic babble for you.

We know magic is a common thing. But what does that really mean? We can assume that magic is infused in the very air and ground around us. Just there. Sort of helping everything exist.

We can also assume that there are a number of creatures that capitalize on its presence. The aptly named magical creatures. Dragons. Unicorns. Elves. Etc.

Inherent Magic
They are magical in that they rely in this magic almost like how plants rely on certain nutrients in the soil. To their existence, it is a necessity. And it isn't without its benefits! This reliance on the worlds inherent magic is what lets them be so long lived, go without sleep, see im the dark or far away, its what lets dragons be able to grow so large or be able to eat less than their mass should realistically need. Etc etc. This magic is what lets them essentially go beyond what we know as realistic.

This is "Inherent Magic". The motes of magic that is naturally tied to magical creatures. While it provides great boons, it also comes with a drawback. It is absolutely required to live for them. Should they travel to a place without magic, they will start losing their powers over a period of time and eventually die. Starvation in a way that we can't really understand from our own personal experience.

Innate Magic
Magical creatures, those reliant on inherent magic, have what will be called "Innate magic". This covers things like a magical creature's abilities, such as innate healing or fire breath. While they don't come without effort, or without some degree of practice, these inherent magical abilities are instinctual to a creatures species. These can come with a degree of potency depending on heritage, talent, practice, and so on. While they are not always the most spectacular, they are definitely the easiest and most common magic creatures of this fantasy world use. But while it is the easiest, there is a cap of just how far you can take it. A cap that is set by your natural born ability. Just like how a human can only bench press so much, however hard they try to get stronger. To such, end. There are sometimes contests of such abilities where members of such creatures can test their innate magical prowess. Such as dragons competing who can blow their fire the farthest or whose is the hottest.

Learned Magic
These abilities should not be confused with "Learned magic". Not every creature possesses Innate magic. Not every creature has the magic they wish they could have been born with. But they should fear not. Magic is always within reach for those who reach out for it. Magic of this sort has perhaps the highest potential of any kind. Especially for those who put the earn in learn.

It takes work. A lot of work. But one can draw upon the inherent magic of the world itself or one's own self to perform great feats so long as they have the knowledge of how, the willpower to commit, and the resilience to withstand the burden of holding the magical energies.

There is many different methods to learning and performing magic. But for simplicities sake, we will say that any specific magical action performed is called a "spell". For example, a water bender kind of person who can control water with his thoughts, the action of creating a wave in the ocean is considered a spell, forming that wave into a giant water shark would be considered another spell. Just as a wizard casting a fireball is using a spell.

Spells are a general term used to explain magical actions or steps of a greater magical working.

As stated before. Magic can be performed in different ways. Ones thoughts, with incantations or without, with hand waving or without. While there has been much debate, there is no definitive method of which is best as a lot of it comes down to the preference of the magical user in question. There are, however a few generalities that can be gathered. "Magician" here being a coverall term for any learned magical user.

1. Using a focus, such as a wand, is superior to not using one. Allowing the magician to have greater control over a spell, and acts like a surge protector should the spell backfire.

2. Incantations, which include spoken words or specific gestures, allow magicians to use spells with a greater accuracy of effect as it allows the magical to be more specifically directed.

3. For ritual magics, spells that require time and ceremony to cast, magic circles and chanting and runes, provide the same effect as generality #2.

4. Magic controlled or cast solely by thought, is more advanced. Required greater training and concentration. Without proper training of mind, a single distraction can cause serious backfiring of a spell or unintended effects. However. This does allow perhaps the quickest casting, and lets magic flow much more naturally. Also it gives others less hunts of what you are about to do. It is safer to do this with a magical focus.

4. Using "ingredients" to cast a spell reduces the strain of what a magician needs to endure to cast a spell. While not needed in lower level spells, they are practically essential in some of the most powerful and complex spells. Blood or flesh of creatures dense in inherent magic is a potent and controversial ingredient. This can comes from oneself, at the risk of oneself, or via offering or sacrifice of others. The latter being taboo for obvious reasons.

Contractual Magic
This type of magic is somewhere in between Innate and Learned magic. And it requires at least two parties. It is most often used to give someone or something specific magical abilities they are not capable of. While these abilities can be potent, it will come at great cost to all participants and is not something to be taken lightly, and broken contracts can deliver dire consequences to one or both parties. As such, such contracts are heavily regulated and enforced by Heaven itself.

Divine Magic
Few are able to tap into the magic of the gods except gods themselves. And those of the mortal world do not fully understand all of what it can do or how it works. What is known is that it requires True Faith, and what power is given is only through the particular gods discretion. As such can be given or taken on a whim. Nonetheless, as implied by its origin from the greatest of beings,, divine magic is capable of performing the most wonderful of miracles or the most tremendous of calamities. Divine magic is able to bypass all laws of magic should the god allow it. But gods are fickle with who they choose, and only those who they deem worthy will ever get to touch it. You are not worthy.

Sienna Cassimir
23 // She/her // Med Student​

• STR▰▰
    DEX▰▰
    CON
    CHA▰▰▰
    INT▰▰▰
    WIS▰▰

"Is she trying to cure them or kill them?"
    "The former."
    "Why does it looks more like the latter?"
    "In her own words: 'That shithead deserve a Darwin award and only the future Hippocratic oath prevents me from letting them to get it.' "

I am interested in this, however, I have a few questions, and I have no idea if it'll be a problem, but I'm on a... Semi hiatus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back