• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy the Downbelow

tesping

constantly wandering
Head practically on a swivel, Lacey checked all directions for any hives on the attack, then tied a bright red strip of cloth around a pole by her. Propping her arms against two of the rusted steel bars braced against each other, she quickly lowered herself down through the somewhat rectangular opening created by the bars. When she was low enough that she was losing leverage, her elbows now about head level, Lacey tucked her arms in and dropped lightly into the darkness. She fell maybe a couple feet before hitting solid ground.

Glancing up through the opening once more, Lacey memorized her view of the shorn-off top of a corroded skyscraper and the intermittent fluttering of her signal flag. Inlets like the one Lacey just dropped through dotted the ruins most people called Akim, but Lacey always preferred to go out the same way she went in, since finding another exit was never guaranteed. Of course buildings and inlets had a habit of disappearing under yet more wreckage, but she could always hope that at the very least, her flag would stay put.

For better or for worse, Lacey was always filled with hope. The desire for things to work out in her favor, or at least not actively against her interests, hummed in her skin. Standing in the dark inlet, Lacey balled up the feeling in her mind and pushed it outwards as she commanded, “Light.”

Dutifully, a pinprick of light bloomed in the darkness around Lacey’s feet, before growing to about the size of her fist. The pearly glow it cast was more than enough to illuminate the opening of a small, dark chute by Lacey’s feet.

Tugging a small, dirty yellow hat out of her patched-up backpack, Lacey pulled it over her short-cropped red hair. “Come along,” she whispered to her light, then sat down to enter the chute feet-first. The light hovered above her mid-section as she shimmied down the chute—thankfully it wasn’t too steep—making it hard for Lacey to miss seeing all the dirt and grime she was picking up as she made her slow way downward.

By the time her feet touch a bottom and she had inched out of the end of the chute, Lacey’s hands and forearms were covered in black smudges and streaks, and her jeans and shirt were in not much better state. Her hair, thankfully, was protected by the hat; Lacey had learned that lesson a few months ago, when her hair had got coated in some kind of chemicals that then got into her eyes. She hadn’t been able to see for weeks, holing up her den with Jack bringing her stuff, and though it all eventually cleared up on its own—with her intensely hoping it’d heal all the while—her once-blue eyes were now speckled with black, like her pupils had decided to split up and scatter across her irises.

Lacey’s vision had changed a little, too. After her recovery she started to see thin golden threads twining through the city, ones Jack swore up and down didn’t exist. They weren’t common, and were sometimes hard to spot, but Lacey had left Jack that morning to chase after one of the threads. It had lead her up out of the den, into the open air of Akim, partway across the city, and then back down this chute.

Rubbing her hands against her jeans in a fruitless attempt to clean them, Lacey observed the small, circular room the gold thread ran through. It stretched across the floor in a lazy, crooked line. The walls of the tiny room were a smooth, uniform cement, and there was even a doorway in front of her; the wooden door had long since rotted way from its hinges.

Light danced forward, showing Lacey the steps that went even further downward. For a half-second, Lacey imagined she heard something echoing up the cement-and-stone stairwell, but she dismissed that. Nobody had marked the entrance to indicate their path down the inlet, and nobody lived here. Like all the people who managed to survive in Akim, Lacey knew where people did live. The dens people had cobbled together were generally clustered on the outskirts of the ruined city, separated into different tribes. Tribe dens were usually three to ten feet below the surface, just covered enough that ranging hives wouldn’t see them as they flew through the city, and not so deep that structural shifting would immediately bury them alive.

Lacey judged the chute she crawled down to have taken her at least thirty feet below the surface. Someone would have to be crazy to live so deep in the Downbelow, let alone so close to the blighted city center. Just knowing she was closer to the center than she’d ever been made Lacey’s skin crawl when she thought about it, so she pushed the thought out of her head. The golden thread she was following trailed yet deeper, down the staircase, and Lacey took a deep breath of dusty air before heading further down.

The Mechanist The Mechanist

Last edited:
Ren turned the the object in his hand as he examined it. It was in fairly good condition despite all that has happened; smiling to himself he stuffed it in his pack, it would make a good trade item when he gets back to the hub, the largest community near the edge of the city. It was a center for trade and Business dealings, though it's assumed back before the world caught fire it was a military warehouse that was full of all sorts of pre war goodies. But now? Now it's just a large area with traders and citizens alike, the guards there were armed with some of the tech left behind by the old world. It didn't matter much to Renellius though, he was a scavenger, finding goodies and trinkets to bring back to either sell or spin a tale for the children there; they oh so loved it when he had a story for them. Though truth be told only half the stories are actually true, and he only knows this based on the old codexs left behind. The nearby library was a treasure trove of knowledge, devoid of hives he managed to make it his own home, living in the basement where the oldest of codexs could be found.
Sighing he looked around, continuously hoping he could find some more items. Though the chill in the air didn't help; bringing his hands up to his mouth he gently blew in them, a small array of sparks dancing around them as he created a small ember in his hands to supply himself with a source of warmth. Immediately he began to feel much better, he was no use as a scavenger if his hands were numb.
Deciding it was time to move on he continued forward, extinguishing his flame he gently moves across the ground. It was sometimes difficult to tell how close a hive was if there ever was one but it was always better to be safe than sorry.

The staircase Lacey carefully made her way down was dark but clearly well-built, to have survived intact in the Downbelow as it had. The golden thread she followed wound down and down, following the lazy curve of the stairs as they spiralled, and though her light occasionally wavered it showed her path as well as always.

Eventually, the spiraling stairs led her to a small, circular cement room nearly identical to the one Lacey had first found herself in. It was noticeably cooler in this room, which Lacey judged to be directly underneath the first one, but it wasn't the temperature that made her stop and frown. It wasn't the three sets of dark archways either. The real problem was the golden thread, which for the first time split and separated, three different strands slinking into the dark of three sets of doors.

Lacey wavered as her light bobbed between her options.

Ren sighed as he placed the item back down, this one wasn't much worth either. And unfortunately the places with the best scrap was closer to the center of the city, where all the hives are. Many a brave man or caravan have tried to traverse the center to come back with treasures, these people were never seen again. Every single one of them assumed dead.
Continuing his path he scrounged around, looking at items on the ground, in shelves, even occasionally poking at the skeletal remains of the people of the old world. But alas he found nothing till.....now what was this? Leaning down he picked up a hat, a rather interesting hat, on it bore a set of chevrons. Three of them to be exact, dusting it off he gave it a better look, "oh wow....and old world military cap....I've always wanted one of these." He said beating it against leg, the loud noise was reminiscent to that of flapping wings; after he shook all the dust off he placed it upon his head, satisfied with his new accessory.

Lacey frowned at the golden threads, as if staring at them long enough would force the three distinct lines to colaesce back into one so she could follow it properly. She stared hard enough at them that her eyes began to water, and wiping her hands quickly against a clean part of her pants, she scrubbed at her eyes.

It didn't help; there were still three lines to follow. Sighing, Lacey gravitated towards the archway to the left, where the remains of a rotted door seemed easiest to kick aside. But then her light, contrary where it was usually obedient, danced towards rightmost door.

"Really?" Lacey asked skeptically. She stood her ground; the light stood its ground, too. Lacey's frown deepened.

Ren yawned as he continued, going deeper into a new building. Unlike the others this one seemed to have mistiple floors below ground, and judging by the rotunda this may have been a government building in the old world, just like what his codexes speak of.
He continued his descent, where the air was still, no wind or breeze to disturb the dust that had settled down on to the ground. Oddly there were more skeletal remains the further down he went. Maybe these people thought they could seek shelter down after the great cataclysm, when the world caught fire and was once more reborn from its ashes, like that of the mighty Phoenix! The man shook his head smiling, "I've been reading too much..." he said as he finished his Phoenix thought, though he himself was a fan of mythical creatures.
He continued anyways, getting farther down, up to the point to where when he opened the door, the skeletal remains were no longer skeletal, and the air was thin. "It must've been so far deep there was no air to allow for decomposition....." he thought as he looked at the mummified remains of the old world. It was weird seeing his predecessors like this, probably the closest he'll ever get to it. "If only they were alive....I wanted to ask them why?"

Eventually, Lacey's frown broke and turned to a rueful smile. Shaking her head at the light, she shrugged and said, "Fine. Split the difference, take the middle route?"

Her light drifted towards the central door. Jack always found it annoying when Lacey treated her lights like they were separate things, but Lacey had discovered that listening to them when they had opinions rarely lead her wrong. Or lead her wrong enough that she wondered what could have gone worse.

With a last wistful look at the other golden threads, Lacey headed down the stairs beyond the center door - not spiral, this time - with the light leading the way.

Ren continued to scrounge around, this area hadn't been looted yet and he was finding all sorts of personal goodies for himself. Finally he had a new pair of boots that actually fit, and they were military issue too! These no doubt were to last him a long time. Sighing contently hecontineud to scavenge, just more rotted clothes, broken old world weapons and...what was this? A knife and in this mans pocket.....a piece of rectangular plastic with a black bar on one side? What could this be? He began to think and try to remember what it was , "a...key card I think it's called."

Lacey counted fifteen treads on the stairs she and the light followed; at the bottom, there was a small landing and another closed door. Unlike the long-rotted wooden doors from above, this one was made of concrete, like the stairs and the walls, with a small, dust-covered window at eye-level. Lacey's light hovered close to the glass, but that didn't help Lacey see anything that was inside. It just reflected light back at Lacey.

Blinking away the sudden spots in her vision, Lacey glanced down at the golden thread. Strangely, the thread trailed towards the bottom of the door, but instead of slipping beneath the door and presumably leading onwards, it crawled up the wall by the door. The thread ran into a small black box by the handle and disappeared.

Frowning, Lacey ran a hand over the box; it was rectangular, taller than it was wide, with faded buttons and a thin indent that ran vertically from the top to its bottom. Pursing her lips, Lacey stared at the box, hoping that - something - might happen.

Her light drew in on itself, hovering by the black box and becoming smaller and smaller. It never quite winked out entirely, but suddenly Lacey couldn't see anything in the dark except for the light, which ghosted over the black box then turned green. Lacey heard a click; the light unfurled again, returning to its usual color, and bounced towards the door handle.

Lacey pushed it open, blinking owlishly to re-adjust before looking for the golden thread again.

Rens soft steps continued to echo along the corridor as he walked, it had been a while now, "where am I....and where am I going...." he asked himself. He was taking a big risk in continuing instead of turning around to store his belongings, but he just couldn't help it. The call of this place, it continued to draw him further. Twice now that key card he found had worked to open up the locked doors of the old world.
Stopping he quickly stretched and yawned looking down the corridor one more time.

(i am so sorry i thought my reply went through ages ago D: D:)
/

Through the strange door that turned her light all silly, Lacey found a narrow corridor. The light grew slightly to show that to the left and right of her there were a handful of smaller rooms--all were empty save for one smaller room with an overturned desk and chair. Lacey didn't think it worth investigating--like the door she had just passed through, this one was guarded by a small black box. Instead. Lacey pushed forward, opening the next heavy door with ease.

The hallway she found herself in was empty and dark, but after a few minutes of walking, Lacey stopped short.

"Did you hear that?" she asked the light softly; typically, she received no reply. Raising her voice, Lacey ventured out a louder and warier, "Hello?"

Ren sighed happily as he stuffed the item into his pack, it was an old world medal. Just something he collected on the side; he loved the designs that each one had, although he didn't understand their meaning. "Looks like I've got another one now..." he said as he got up off the ground and continued to walk. But what happened next set him on edge, making him tense up because it was completely unexpected. The sound of a woman's hello echoed through the halls and corridors, he didn't know what to do or say. What if itnwas a ghost? He had heard tales of how certain areas replay the final moments of the old world before the bombs fell, that the spirits were in anguish for having their lives cut so short. He sighed and spoke, "hello? Anyone else there?"

(It's ok ^-^)

That was definitely a voice; Lacey found herself walking quicker towards the end of the hallway, and when she reached a new door, she waited impatiently for the light to shrink and blink green to open it.

"Yes, hello," she ventured as the door opened; her light hadn't returned from the black box yet, and her eyes were unadjusted to the gaping darkness of the room in front of her. "I'm here, who are you?" she asked as she waited for her light to blossom again. "Where are you?"

Once more the voice echoed down the halls, maybe it wasn't a ghost. Do ghosts have conversations with mortals such as himself? It most definitely was odd, but also exciting at the same. The scavenger turned as he tried to discern the owner of the voice. Judging from thevway it sounded it most likely belonged to a female, a young woman more like. Now all he needs is the origin, where exactly did it come from. Speaking once more he replied to the disembodied voice, "uh truth be told I don't know exactly where I'm at, I just kept walking and ended up here." He said as his voice reverberated against the hallway walls.

"Oh, there is someone!" Hovering by the door, Lacey watched as her light grew ever brighter, illuminating a far larger part of the area than Lacey usually needed when she was just exploring. Setting a hand along the wall to her left--it was cement, no side-rooms like there had been behind the first locked door, as far as she could tell--Lacey shooed her light forward, following in the darkness behind as it went off in search, casting a wide light.

"I'm Lacey, I live near the Kembry," Lacey introduced herself loudly. She and Jack technically weren't Kembry, but their den was close enough to Kembry clan dens that they'd probably join up soon. They shared enough resources as it were; Lacey used their name as an indication of what quadrant of the city outskirts she came from.

"I'm Renellius, I'm from the hub, you know the large city center?" He said still looking down the hall, "but I live in a library quite a ways away...." he said. Deciding he stood still long enough he began following the origin of the voice down the hall. His flashlight mounted on his newly acquired military cap. "Where are you?" He asked, though he wasn't sure why he'd want to meet some stranger out in the ruins, what if she wanted his loot?
He shook his head, if that were the case she would've just snuck up on him. Continuing forth he marched on.

"People aren't from the hub," Lacey argued, before catching herself. She didn't need to be disagreeing with strangers this deep beneath the surface before she even saw their faces. Her light was far enough ahead of her now, searching for Renellius, that it was only her hand against the wall and the faint golden thread she was still trying to follow that kept her on track. "What quadrant's your library in?"

Lacey had visited a handful over the years, but they were rundown things these days, and she only knew of one that actually operated like a library from the old days. The others had been picked over for useful books and knowledge, or for kindling. "I'm in um - a hallway. Can you see a light, at all? It's looking for you."

(Oh I'm so sorry! I thought I replied!)

Ren furrowed his brow at her comment, "people are from the hub, you live there technically you're from it. There are even children who've been born there." Odd for him to say such things, he supposed he may have had more pride in the hub than he thought. Possibly because he made his living there, stared a life of his own that allows him to prosper and survive.
Her question snapped him back to reality, "quadrant? Well it's near the hub."
He said looking around for that light she mentioned. Her voice most certainly was getting louder.

(no worries in the least!!! clearly i am the one who should be apologizing)

It was an effort to keep from disagreeing with the disembodied voice again. Lacey was very much an arguer, so she bit her bottom lip and frowned privately at Ren's odd and very unhelpful "my quadrant's near the hub".

"I think we're getting closer." The light bobbed far ahead of Lacey, still within sight but far enough away that Lacey knew she herself wouldn't be visible. She changed to conversation to something more agreeable. "How did you get down here?"

"I found a key card while scavenging, and used it to open the doors. Found plenty of loot while down here, even managed to find some gun parts!" He said happily, his own personal project, he had been trying to restore one of the old world rifles. He was far from it but was drawing close with all the parts he's been using.

(Why?)

Lacey paused behind her light--she thought she heard footsteps, and before her, the light was coming up on a shadow that seemed to move.

"What's a key card?" she wanted to know, picking up on the term that seemed least familiar to her. Ren sounded close enough that she didn't raise her voice too much to be heard, though now that he was talking about gun parts, Lacey was somewhat less sure she wanted to meet him. Violence was not something that was tolerated in the Kembry territory, and guns were whispered about as a terrible thing of a terrible past. Lacey, for her part, could use a sling and bow. Most people could, though they weren't always much help against hives.

The looting she could understand; she carried a few injections that she and Jack had found by some medical clinics, things that helped heal minor injuries. Nobody knew how they work, only that they did, and even as she followed the golden thread to who knew where, Lacey knew to keep an eye out for things that might be useful.

(just for general... spottiness. :p)

(Haha you don't need to apologize friend)

Ren turned as her sounded closer, "according to one of the many books I've read, a lay card it's like a piece of plastic that opens electronic locks. Only the old world government buildings had em." He said as he noticed a light out of the corner of his eye. He immediately backed away not knowing what it was. His books once mentioned a wisp and that they lead travelers to their doom.
He continued to back up, pressing himself into a wall, ready to strike if need be.

(same to you!! :3)

"Oh. Are the electronic locks the black boxes?" Lacey wanted to know; her light had helped her through a handful of them now, enough that Lacey knew them to be locks of some sort. She hadn't examined them closely enough to know how they worked, or to know how her light managed to open them. There were a lot of things she didn't know about her light (and the Downbelow), but as they had not yet presented a problem, Lacey was content to let them remain mysteries.

The gold thread, though... "Is that you?" Lacey asked, squinting as she suddenly decided that Ren seemed close. "I'm coming up behind the light. You're standing on the gold thread, by the way. Is that what you followed down?"

"Gold thread?" He asked, his hands starting to glow orange as her light neared, it made him uneasy in the darkness. "Can you get your light away? It's making me nervous..." he said as he tried to look past it but light diffusion wasn't helpful in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back