• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Dogs Themselves

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

SomebodyElse

Caught in a storm
chicago.jpg
How many days had Lucky spent in this town. It was so bleak. Days had long ago began to meld together.
He had been walking around in the streets for a few hours now, looking for food. It wasn't going very well.
He needed to find food soon. He was getting tired of just living day to day. He remembered Chloe's computer. They asked her opinion on the virus. She said they should work on finding a cure. Was a cure possible? Were there any humans left? It was time to look for clues. Where to start.
He could head back to his old apartment he had with Chloe. Would her computer have any info. He couldn't work a computer well at all with his paws but he might be able to type slowly given enough time to work it out.
He noticed a shadow. Oh no... He spent too much time on the streets.
It was one of the machines. He had to find a way to get out of it's line of sight. It was headed towards him. He had no choice but to run.
If it got within 50 meters it could kill him. He ran as fast as he could. Would this be it? He'd likely die. It was all luck he had gotten this far.
He made generally good decisions. Was careful. But he wasn't special. He came from an average background and was a typical breed of pet.
He had to live. For Chloe. For the cure. For whatever clues would solve this mystery.

E9A20B10-54C1-45B4-8ED0-4FE17614AAE8.jpeg
scorpiodragon scorpiodragon SomebodyElse SomebodyElse
Blaine
Her paws stung as she pounded down the open streets of the city. She didn’t know what she was chasing, but her instincts told her to run. Her legs were a blur as she sprinted down and alley and skidded around a corner. Blaine didn’t have time to stop when she sprinted past a husky who had been crouched in the dark.

Wait.. another dog! Blaine set her paws down to stop, only to let out a yelp of terror as she heard the growling rumble of a machine rolling down the street to her left. She bolted back into the alley, slamming her body against the wall and peering out. The machine was a ways down but she could make out the shape of another dog sprinting away from the death contraption. He looked tired, but determined to outrun the machine bearing down on his tail. Blaine swiftly pivoted, sprinting to the husky’s side while barking a warning.

“Machine! In here!“ Blaine gave the female a shove, pointing her nose to a crack in the brick wall which led to the yard of a human’s house. “Go!“ Without a second thought, she turned again. Her paws once again slammed upon the cement as she bolted down the alley. The sound of the growling machine was growing louder. She panted furiously, and sprinted out of the alley. She howled urgently to the dog who was pursued by the machine, barking at him to go through the alley. She positioned herself to take over the chase. She knew she was fast enough to outrun the beast, and she could memorize every street and alley that led back to that one yard which she had directed the husky. She just hoped that the dog being chased would heed her warning.​

Star was busy stalking the rat in question that she aimed to try to kill and feed herself when there was a yelp as something nearly slammed into her and instead into the wall. The noise scattered the rats who fled for crevices and an overgrown sewer grate within the alley, disappearing into the safety and darkness. She raised her head, eyes narrowed at the intruder who smelled female and was lighter in build, indeed a different breed altogether. The other dog shoved her, shouting about a machine and Star looked around, only to hear said machine whirring away nearby and the sound of a dog's paws running hard over the tar-covered road. The female looked at the stranger as she was told to go through the hole into a house and would have objected normally, her pack had trained her to fight, but it was only the thought of losing this second litter of pups that caused the pregnant female to shuffle her way through the hole, struggling to get through with her rounded stomach only to flop on her face on the other side. Getting to her paws, she shook herself and saw a house before her, Star making a dash for it and pushing herself through a broken window.

Mentioned: hostage hostage SomebodyElse SomebodyElse

Lucky saw the signal. It was another dog. Finally. He hadn't seen one in years!
He ran into the alleyway. That was close. Any longer and could've been dog paste. Now in the house. He finally saw that there wasn't just one dog. But multiple.
There was this many dogs in the city and I wasn't aware of it? But how? I've scoured every inch of this city looking for food for months.
The fact that there is not one but two other dogs here is insane. Where did they come from.

"Hi. My name is Lucky. Are you both here together? I didn't realize there were any dogs left in this city."
"I've been alone for 3 years. Ever since the virus."
scorpiodragon scorpiodragon hostage hostage

Star had only just gotten into the house when there was the thudding of paws and a yellow dog appeared in the house as well, coming in the same way through the open window and stopping before her. She was busy looking around that she didn't notice if the dog that had shoved her towards the crack in the brick wall had come or not, for the dog introduced their...him...himself she realized as Lucky. What kind of a name is Lucky? Star attempted to be polite though, she did have some manners from her pack and the old dog that had raised her before shaking out her pelt free of the glass and moving away from the window, turning around and seating herself upon the dusty and rotting floor.

"No," she said. "We aren't together. That dog just ran into me and I think they are going to draw that machine away. They're certainly in better condition than I am currently...and my name is Star. I would say it is nice to meet you but these times aren't exactly easy."

Fluffy was resting under a table in an abandoned house avoiding machines and using her small size to her advantage like her parents had taught her. in particular, she had gone unnoticed even by the dogs, having masked her own scent by rolling in some mold that had grown on the house, smelly yet effective, especially for hiding from larger dogs, like the two who had just accidentally stumbled upon her hiding spot. her training from her mother told her to sxtay quiet and let them pass, but her instinct told her to stand tall. "Oi! who's house do you think this is?!" she says, jumping out from under the table and growling at the two intruders. "I found this place first, it's mine!" she growls at the two larger dogs. "finders keepers!"

An exploring Murphy waits for no man. One of those roaring abominations came puttering by, the same kind that took out his ma. There were a lot of them, he wasn't sure how they worked but they didn't seem to be chasing him or nothin'. Must've been something stupid, like a really big bug, or that Cane Corso he met on the road one time. Nearly bit Murph's throat out, he did!

One of those big structures was in the area, one with a gated yard that he could no doubt get through to easily. It'd been dug and un-dug so many times throughout the years, the dirt was soft under his padded fingers, and he burrowed through to a vast yard. He could hear sound from the inside, curling his blackened lip back and approaching. He let out a sound, the trademark catlike yodel of the Basenji that was unique to his breeding. He rarely barked, only hooted and howled, much like his siblings did. His distance kept, he proceeded to rub his body along the brick wall. Maybe he'd mark it properly later.

"You inn'ere!" His voice was juvenile -- as was one of the ones in that building. "G'wan! Git! 's my place now!"

This wasn't going to be fun.

Trotting into the decaying ruins of the city formerly known as Chicago, The Windy City, Jack couldn't help but catch a few whiffs here and there of something familiar... something that flicked a light on in the back of his mind. 'Cat? Naw, they're well stinky!' Jack's mind wandered from scent to scent, trying to identify that oh so familiar scent.

Along with that confusing smell, Jack's ears pricked at the more familiar sound of machines whirring in the distance. He had only been introduced briefly to one as he fled Ohio, the machine in question residing in Fort Wayne, IL. That deafening whir of gears was enough to remind him of the fear and panic he'd felt as he'd fled, the shock he had received. What was that thing? Why did it try to attack me? I wanted to play! He remembered thinking, marking the turn of the world in Jack's mind.

That thought made his heart ache. He didn't know why.

Turning his mind to the present, the steel giants seemed to stretch endlessly ahead amongst their concrete ruination, reaching up to stroke the blue of the sky above. Mingling with the overgrowth and decay, the empty husks of vehicles littered the ground ahead, sitting like used toys on the crumbling cement highway. They passed by slowly, each being given a sniff or two, the beginnings of caution forming in the rust coloured dog.

Perhaps here he'd find some friends, or his humans. It was worth a shot as the city began to grow larger around him.

Brandy had her nose pushed up against the ground, violently snuffling in search of food among the trash in the streets. No matter where she searched in the garbage, there was nothing. Early on she could've found tons of food in the giant tipped cans, but nowadays everything seemed to be picked clean. She briefly raised her head, cocking her ears, there were monsters were around, but they sounded far off. She returned to sniffing.

Brandy picked up a scent, but her surprise it wasn't food, it was another dog. Though faint, it seemed fairly fresh. Brandy stopped and considered her actions, not all dogs out here were yapping little pups just looking for friends, this could be dangerous. However, Brandy followed it anyway. She had been alone for far too long, and besides, she reasoned to herself, there's safety in numbers.

The trail lead her down, further into the trashed city. The smell got more and more fresh as she went, but something began smell... off. While she was still certain that it had to be a dog, she could smell something mingled with it. She realized with a start that it was fear. She could hear monsters again, they sounded closer. Brandy picked up her pace. She came across an old house with a broken window. With some difficulty, she scrambled her way up and in, narrowly avoiding being scraped by the jagged glass.

One emerged from an alley just in time to hear a machine trundle away. He had just missed it. Thank god. He had seen approximately oneother dog in this city and said dog had been killed by a machine almost immediately afterwards. Yeah, those things were not nice.

One got ready to move on when he caught a scent... and a sound. It sounded like... a dog? No, not just a dog. Multiple dogs. One... two... three... four! Four of them! But wait! He only smelled three. Weird. But good. Whether it was three or four dogs it was still dogs. He finally found more dogs. He ran across the way and peered into a broken window.

Star waited for the dog named Lucky to respond to her when a pup suddenly appeared out from underneath one of the tables, barking and carrying on about this being its house. The pup didn't seem very big and Star turned a hard look upon the youngster for its rudeness at interrupting two adults. Did pups not have any manners anymore with the world going to hell in a hand basket? "Did your parents not teach you manners whelp?" Star questioned. This pup had obviously never been on the streets before and in a pack...it was one of the first things the pups were taught or suffered the consequences in her pack. A pack that was no more. Yet the pup wouldn't get a chance to reply as there were the sounds of more paws rushing forward and voices from outside, making the pregnant dog nervous and she backed away from Lucky, the outspoken pup who didn't know her place as another dog came through a window, glass shards breaking and scattering across the floor.

From outside came another voice that yipped for the group of dogs, they weren't a pack as they weren't together in any way, to get out and leave. The expectant female was close to losing her temper and just taking her chances once more on the streets like she had been doing since the death of her alpha and beta. Right at this moment, Star wished they were still alive so she could lean on them and look to someone for guidance. Sensing eyes on their location, she let her eyes go to the window when she found a corner that she backed into, hackles raised as her teeth bared in warning at anyone not to come close, untouched maternal instincts coming to the forefront of her mind which gave her some confusion as she had only been whelped once before. "QUIET!" Star barked loudly. "You don't stop yapping and you'll lead those death killers here!"

"You all look frightened." Lucky sighed. It was this life. It forced everyone to adapt to such harsh circumstances. There had to be a solution.
Chloe's computer had to have had answers. It was either that or he would eventually die.
"I think you all should come with me. I'm searching for a cure, or something. I had an owner who might've had some clues about the virus."
"I suggest we form a pack."
But who would be the leader? How would ranks work. Lucky didn't really have much experience with packs. He was a loner. He survived because he was careful, because he got lucky sometimes, because he made smart decisions. He had to. He would've died otherwise.
He wasn't old. Not yet. But he was definitely gonna hitting his midlife in the next couple of years. He had to move and figure things out while he still had his bit of youth.
"You don't have to come with me. I understand if you'd all rather go your own ways."
He couldn't expect them to come with him could he?

Star’s ears pricked forwards as the dogbthst has introduced himself as Lucky spoke up again, saying everyone looked scared. Star was just hungry and a bit tired, causing her to be a bit temperamental. When the dog spoke about the group of dogs joining him, she slowly came out of her corner. Join him? Make a pack? She hadn’t been in a pack in a month and a half now. But why was he interested in humans? Oh he just be some pet. Lucky him. She winched as her unborn pups kicked. What was she going to do? “I’ll join,” spoke Star after a bit.

A pack! Yes! Finally! This was what One had been looking for! He had found one after all this time. Many dogs and a potential pack. Before he even thought about it he climbed through the window.

"Sorry to intrude but I'd like to join your pack. My name's One."

Now that he thought about it, One was a kind of weird name. He hadn't thought about stuff like that before. Why would he? Humans gave animals weird names. Even whole species had weird names. Seriously where did the name Platypus come from.

64DD2BBA-6B68-48C2-AE4D-53064B22FCDE.jpeg
scorpiodragon scorpiodragon SomebodyElse SomebodyElse BackSet BackSet
Blaine
Blaine’s breath came in short pants as she ran. The machine had indeed taken its chase to her. Luckily, it didn’t seem to be very fast. She had time to plan her route as she ran. A couple of turns left and right, and she had the machine stuck. “Thank god for subdivisions,” she murmured to herself before leaping over a fence and blasting through a park. The contraption let out a series of whirls and growls as its prey escaped.

She padded slowly through backyards, ducking through rotting wood fences and jumping over the smaller wire ones. All the while, Blaine began to think again. Was it worth it to return to the house she had directed the two other dogs? Her trust was thin spread, and she had survived for long enough on her own, right? What use was bringing in other dogs, if they would only slow her down?

Eventually, she caught the somewhat familiar scent of the two dogs. She slipped into the closest house, carefully avoiding broken glass and fallen furniture. Blaine stalked to an open window, careful to keep her presence unknown. In the house over, she heard the sharp barks and whines of yet another, possibly the one who’s scent she had caught near that house in her earlier explorations.

When she caught wind of the dogs forming a pack, her tail began to lash. These dogs wouldn’t last for long without organization. She had experience leading a pack, and it had worked for a while. But was this pack tough enough to survive? She decided to take the chance.

Moments later, the graceful hound was in the house, slinking into a room adjacent from the populated one. “The monster is gone. I led it far away,“ she said, stepping out of the shadows. She grinned internally at her more than dramatic entrance. “I heard something about a pack? Well, I have ideas,“ she continued, her voice already authoritative. “That is, if you would allow the one who saved you to help.“ Blaine directed the question to both dogs she had first met.​

Fluffys ears perked at the mention of the word pack, her tail begins to wag, giving away her excitement at the idea. "a...a pack? well, I am a lone wolf, a sole survivor, I don't know." she says, trying to seem cool. "well, you dogs might be bigger then me, but no one knows how to avoid detection like me. you'll need a small quick scout...to check the coast is clear before moving and keep the pack hidden from danger... I'd feel bad if something happened to you all after I said no, so I guess I sort of...have to. but not cause I want to or anything!" beleiving she had successfully sounded cool enough, she sits down and stops growling, tail still wagging excitedly.

Murphy's cries were met on deaf ears, even ignorance. They figured he was just an average pup, which he basically was. Not that he knew so. In his mind, he was the biggest dog on the planet, bigger than a stack of mastiffs all on top of one another. And he could take down that many, too. He crawled through a busted wall in the back, running into a group of other hounds, terriers and the like. His blackened lip was drawn back in a snarl.

"I don't just join packs with nobody, I ain't here'n to get killed." Only God knew what those other animals might do to him. One of them was pregnant, probably not a threat, and another was too tiny to do shit. But the rest? All fair game. "I'm all muscle, so if you're thinkin' of biting my throat out..."

Star's eyes went between a male Siberian Husky that jumped through the window, her eyes widening at seeing another of her kind. Then the puppy spoke up about being a scout. Star supposed a small fry like the puppy could end up being useful with scouting but it would need to learn obedience and respect. Then another dog appeared...this one sounding juvenile as well. "You aren't worth it youngster," said Star as the juvenile said not to tear his throat out. Then the dog that had shoved her reappeared, speaking of a pack and offering to lead them. Star couldn't help snorting at that. A female lead? Preposterous! Alpha said females were too wired with emotion to properly lead, lacking the build and strength to lead. "Sound of heart but not of mind nor body," her alpha had said. Star felt a pang in her chest at the thought of her alpha and automatically looked towards Lucky for direction. Shouldn't he the alpha?

"So you feel as though you should lead even though it was my idea and I'm the one who has the closest thing to a cure."
Lucky knew he wasn't much of a pack leader type. He came from an average background. He was a housepet. But he'd been staying 3 years alone.
If anyone knew these streets, the way the machines operated, the clues for a clue it was him. He wasn't quite siberan husky. but he was good.
He was more the loner strategist, to the typical alpha male that lead packs.
"I don't care about ranks, I need to find clues. I'm the only one can figure out a cure for this disease. If you won't follow me, that is your choice."
He was tied directly to somebody who must've had an idea. That mattered. If he couldn't get them to follow them, it was whatever.
Ranks could matter later. For now he'd lead himself to the solution and anyone who came along could do whatever they felt like as long as they trusted his path.
"I only ask you trust my path. I know where to go. You can do whatever or act however you want as long as you follow."

Oh boy. This loudmouth pup definitely needed to be teached some discipline. Plus he talked like some mobster out of an old cop show. Byt One didn't move or do anything. He'd wait to find out who was in charge here and then act according to how they wanted. And it seemed like he was about to find out.

The Golden Retriever seemed to be of the opinion that he should lead. Nothing wrong with that. One was sure noone would want him to lead. He was old and it showed. Still, saying he was the only one who could find a cure was a bit brash. Who knew what these other dogs had done on their own time. One certainly hadn't found anything but that didn't mean anything about anyone else.

Brandy cooly suppressed a grin, she had only just entered the building, hadn't said a word to anyone, and already someone was suggesting a pack? This was beyond anything she could've hoped for! Though the one pup was just the sort of growling loner she'd had also expected, everyone else seemed to be moving in the right direction.
"I'm Brandy," She said, hiding her brewing excitement, "and if you're suggesting forming a pack than I'm in. I may not be mister navigator over here, but I'm more than capable of hunting and surviving." Everyone seemed to be looking to who they thought would make a leader, and Brandy was no different. Though blondie over there may have suggested the pack and is apparently some pathfinder, a nose for directions does not maketh a leader. No, Brandy found herself looking to the female who had apparently saved them from a monster. If she could do that, Brandy held no objections to listening to these "ideas" she had mentioned.

Star looked around at everyone, everyone seeming to have different opinions on what should be done. "I would suggest the pups come with us...they need protection of adults," she spoke up. "Perhaps the old timer as well, he could offer advice and pass down wisdom." She seemed adamant about following Lucky for the time being.

SomebodyElse SomebodyElse Mentioned: BackSet BackSet Twin Fantasy Twin Fantasy Amyleii Amyleii

O-old timer. That was must mean. Sure he was old but there was no needing to point it out. One knew that he was old just fine on his own without being reminded. He just shook his head.

"Was that really necessary?" He asked, hoping he didn't cone across as too confrontational or upset.

scorpiodragon scorpiodragon

Would you rather I call you Sage? Old timers are what I've always called old wolves...then again that was my pack that did that. It could be different elsewhere. Star shook her head. "What would you prefer to be called besides your name?" questioned Star. But still...there was safety in numbers...and also risk with those machines. Who knew how they tracked dogs down? "Apologies One. That's what I've grown up calling old dogs."

Interacting: BackSet BackSet

One sighed. "Just my name, please."

He knew he'd come off as too confrontational. He didn't want to sound mean or anything. He just wanted to have a pack and not die. Who wants to die. And who doesn't want friends? Well, there was that pup, One supposed. He seemed very intent on talking like a mobster and acting tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back