• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Despair Beneath

SodaToast

Toastosterone
Maybe this idea's just not well accepted (understandable), or maybe it's because my giant wall of text + a painfully long list of bullet points is deterring potential RPers. I'm just going to add a few quick notes about the general idea to spare people from reading everything. This is as much for your sake as for my sanity mine.

Summary:
In a dystopian world where the dwindling human population is being desolated by monsters from below, a group of people are gathered to put an end to the terror that has been haunting them for the past century. There are powers in the form of rings, but they are and should not be the main focus of your character. Think of them as your character's sidekick, useful at the right time but not necessary to complete the job. The group undergoes training and learns more about their enemy. They are then sent into the dungeon, a labyrinthine hell with peril at every turn. Their goal is to reach the center.

If you're interested, feel free to read more. If not, I wish you the best of luck on your journeys in finding a suitable RP.

Greetings,

We, the Capital, have acknowledged your presence and accomplishments within the border and are in urgent need of a team to venture into the deepest areas of the dungeon to uncover the truths behind our enemies for the past century. We will be relaying some information through this invitational letter in the case that some of you have had little exposure to the current situation of our society. Our main obstacle that we hope the team can vanquish are the beasts, which are proving to be a formidable opponent to the human race as they begin to more frequently venture onto the surface. Two decades ago, the human population received a detrimental blow when the beasts first emerged from beneath and, due to the lack of preparation and discipline of the soldiers resulting from years of peace and tranquility, one of the four cities, Nolis, was quickly overrun. The inhabitants, comprising mostly of farmers and merchants, were brutally slain and the city razed. This was a stark reminder to us, the Capital, that actions must be taken in order to assure the survival of the human race. When the city was no longer recognizable, a desolate waste land at best, the beasts moved on to their next target: Ido. Even though both the city and Capital was prepared for the imminent attack, their combined efforts were still no match for the savage beasts. Only after the hard-fought battle and our acceptance of another defeat did we realize that combating the beasts head on was not the solution. Miraculously, as if the wheel of fate had finally turned in humanity’s favor, the beasts abruptly retreated back into the dungeons, where they currently reside to this day. Up until now, our raiding parties have been hard at work scavenging for new and unseen of materials from the upper areas of the dungeon, providing our alchemists with a plentiful of supplies to both conduct their research and to develop new forms of technology in order to aid humanity’s efforts in combating the beasts. It is at this time that we ask you to join us, the Capital, to rid our world of these unnatural beasts. We encourage you to accept this invitation on behalf of the human race and do not fret, for we will be providing all of you with a surplus of food, water, and supplies for the expedition, training you on how to combat the beasts, teaching you the general layout of the dungeons and any further information that is required for you to succeed on your adventure, and equipping you with state of the art weapons and technology. Now, will you join our noble cause or will you watch as the last two remaining civilizations are torn down in front of your eyes, knowing that your actions could’ve prevented the apocalypse. It is the time to act, fellow comrades. Decide swiftly, for time is not, and never will be, on our side.

The ever so graceful,

Duke Marlind

(Rest of the information will be in bullet points because, well, I got lazy. Very unprofessional of me, I understand. Also, I have absolutely no experience in coding and I decided to just play it safe a.k.a. plop down a big wall of text. Please bear with me!)

Setting/(Brief) History:

• For as long as people can remember, there were the four cities

• These four cities were Nolis, Ido, Hathburr, and Sormindor, only two of which are currently inhabited by humans (Hathburr and Sormindor)

• The cities are relatively evenly spaced apart (around 150 km/93 miles), occupying the vertices of an imaginary square (they’re located at the 4 corners of an imaginary square with the sides of the square being 150 km/93 miles)

• The areas around the cities are an assortment of different regions all mixed together; there are forests, rivers, grasslands (plains), lakes, and even the occasional cluster of hills

• The 4 cities are encased by an impenetrable translucent, blue dome. The outside is visible but the land is dry, cracked, and devoid of all life

• The dungeon, where the beasts reside, is technically located beneath the entire area within the dome but the main part is located between the four cities (within the imaginary square)

• The center of the dungeon is coincidentally located at the very center of the dome and between the four cities (how coincidental!)

• The dungeons isn’t simply filled with just compact, pitch black tunnels but contains a variety of paths, chambers, and other surprises
  • Hathburr and Sormindor are 150 km apart (on the same side of the imaginary square) and is mostly separated by dense forests and flowing rivers

• Sormindor, being where the Capital is located, is a very wealthy city and is inhabited by either by rich or royalty

• Hathburr, on the other hand, is a humble trading city that is quickly becoming overpopulated due to the gradual influx of refugees and survivors from Ido

• The streets are polluted, gangs and illegal businesses are flourishing, and the Capital isn’t providing any assistance to the city

• While Sormindor is wealthy and has an abundance of resources, Hathburr is at the other end of the economical spectrum: a semi-dystopian society experiencing poverty
Technology:

• This section is very brief as most of it is self-explanatory

• The time era will be medieval-esque, with weapons being swords, spears, catapults, etc.

• There are guns, but they are both basic and primitive

• The most recent breakthrough in technology are the “rings.” They resemble any ordinary ring except they contain a singular orb of energy that is represented by a circular jewel in the center

• These rings contain a variety of unique powers, each one being different from the other
  • The color of the jewels varies from dull to vibrant depending on how much energy they contain and each jewel is unique to its ring

• The energy found within the rings is transferred directly from the user into the ring and, without any energy, their abilities cannot be used

• In addition, depending on the ability, the potential of the user’s powers can fluctuate based on the amount of energy currently stored into the ring

• A user can only wield one ring at a time, a law created by the Capital
Plot (general idea):
  • Your character begins in their respective city, either Hathburr or Sormindor

• The invitation is accepted (or, if you want, you can find another way for your character to accompany the group into the dungeon. Just send me a quick PM letting me know your idea)

• The participants receive their training, teachings, and equipment (I’m planning for there to be a lot of freedom, customization, and character development in this section of the RP. Another thing I’m planning is a sort of big event at the end to allow the character’s to express their changes and how much they’ve grown, both in terms of power and as a person)

• Characters are sent into the dungeon (lots of that character development here too!)
The rest is left to you to decide! Though, if the roleplay hasn’t died off within the first couple of pages and is actually beginning to approach the end of the story, I will have most likely have something decided by then.

Rules:
  • Forum rules, duh.

• Being the GM, my word is law.

• On the other hand, please keep in mind that I am still human and yes, mistakes will be made! I will try my best to be open-minded when it comes to suggestions and character ideas and I’d say that I’m relatively flexible as long as the suggestions are reasonable. Respect goes both ways.

• While tension, drama, and interaction are encouraged between characters, please remain civil to an extent. Nobody wants to be around that one guy who is constantly a prick, ya know? Once in a while is understandable, but consistently? No thank you.
  • A minimum of 1 paragraph per post and a minimum of 1 post per every 3 days
  • No god moding, etc.
Feel free to indicate your interest (or disinterest!) below and I am very open to suggestions! I am writing this all quite late in the night and I'll probably regret this mess I've created in the morning. Apologies for the terrible organization and such, I just felt like getting something down. I've been brooding over this idea for a while now and I felt like if I didn't take the initiative to make it happen, then it will just be lost among all my other google drive documents. Thank you so much for reading! :)

P.S. First RP that I'm hosting, crossing my fingers that everything goes well!

Last edited:
SodaToast SodaToast
First of all, sorry for the double post, but I do have a question about the rings.

Do the rings grow with the user? In other words, let's say there's a character whose had a ring for an extended period of time (like years). Would their powers channeled through the ring be stronger, or is the energy from the ring at a fixed percentage based off of the users potential?

SodaToast SodaToast
First of all, sorry for the double post, but I do have a question about the rings.

Do the rings grow with the user? In other words, let's say there's a character whose had a ring for an extended period of time (like years). Would their powers channeled through the ring be stronger, or is the energy from the ring at a fixed percentage based off of the users potential?
Well, yes. Essentially, as the user's connection to their individual ring becomes stronger, their power can increase or even alter dramatically depending on the user's experiences and whatnot.

Just another quick side note: Obviously the user cannot wield their power when they are not in direct, physical contact with their ring.

That is all. Glad you're interested! :)

Another thing I wanted to add which also happens to involve the rings:

Do not base your character around the rings, but instead I suggest you to create your character first and then come up with a power suitable and unique to them. The rings/powers are not a main focus of your character. Think of them as your character's sidekicks, useful at the right times but not necessary to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back