Journal The Death Dragon Style (Shiryu-tu) Training Journal

The Explorer

Philippians 4:13
So instead of having multiple posts spread out across different topics, i've decided to keep a record here for my progress in making and training for my very own martial art, Ryu no Shiki, or in English, The Death Dragon Style.

Day 1:

I had decided the previous day to go on a diet, and to train like crazy. But after the first day was done I had only walked a mile, and had postponed my diet.

Day 2:

I walked another mile, and postponed my diet yet again. Deciding that something had to give, I decided to take advice from a friend with more experience, and I ended up just eating three meals a day, and giving up soda in favor of water bottles. I guess as long as I burned more calories than I consumed I would be fine.

Day 3:

Came up with a new breathing method i call Dragon Breathing, and found a way to use a certain amount of water from a water bottle to do breathing exercises. So after I did my mile, I got out my bamboo practice sword, and did 500 Proper Form Short Swings, and after that I lined my bamboo sword up with my shoulders and did 100 squats. Then came the breathing exercises, and it was difficult at first only breathing through my nostrils while I had water in my mouth, because I had to get the timing right, and wasn't allowed to exhale until the right moments came, and when I exhaled I also had to spit out the water at the exact same time I exhaled. My legs were killing me after that.

Day 4:

Woke up and my legs were killing me, so I decide to take a rest day. But I ended up coming up with a Stepping Method that I call Burst Stepping, and made myself walk until my body got used to it. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have, because when I woke up the next day, my legs were still sore from the training.

Day 5:

February 15, 2020. As I got up, my legs were still sore, so I decided to make today a rest day as well. But if I end up doing training anyway, I'll update this post.

Day 5 Edit:

12:49 PM: I did my breathing exercises today, and also came up with my first technique for Ryu no Shiki. "The Dragon's Claw" Utilizing the Burst Stepping, and Dragon Breathing together in order to close the distance and also strengthen my fist, I punch with a quick diagonal motion. I'm going to try to train to be able to do it.

Day 5 Edit 2:

3:52 PM: Decided to walk my mile, and completed it. Ended up having to stop midway, because a neighbor's dog got out and I had to get it to chase me and lead it to my neighbor. It is a small dog but it had a lot more endurance, that being said I won the race and kept myself in front of the dog the entire time it was chasing me. Though it didn't have to catch it's breath at all, and I did, I also had used the situation to test my training, and suffice it to say, even though I had to take a few breaths with my Dragon Breathing to recover, my recovery time was only a few minutes.

It looks like my Burst Stepping and Dragon Breathing, when combined, shortens my recovery time and allows me to sprint a fair amount of distance before having to take each breath. Maybe I should join the track team when I get to University? I'm going to have to keep training, and test my limits further.

Other than that, I went out to my backyard and did some punches, 100 for each arm. I made sure to teach myself not to step forward for those normal punches. After I did that, I did some flexibility training, primarily for my arms. I took one of my bamboo practice swords in one hand, and a water bottle in the other. I jokingly called it Perfect Defence Training, because of how I swung the sword in my left hand around in a radius of about half my body. Keep in mind i did this while holding water on my tongue, a water bottle in my other hand, and Dragon Breathing all at the same time. Then I did the exact same thing for the other arm, and just switched my sword and the water bottle without putting either of them down.

Because Dragon Breathing Exercises involve holding water in my mouth while also only inhaling through my nostrils and timing the Exhaling just right, I noticed that, during my training, not only did my Burst Stepping become almost like second nature, but also that my Dragon Breathing had become almost beyond the point of first nature, I didn't even have to stop and focus on my breathing while I was leading that small dog to its owner.

Let's see what tomorrow holds. SInce I started training, and no longer drink soda, over the past four days, including today, i got my weight down from about 207 lbs. to 204.8 lbs. I'm aiming for 150lbs. I'm still eating three meals a day, and it's pretty much whatever I want to eat, but once I get a chance, i'm going to talk to my doctor and see if there are recommended diet plans for me, because I'd lose more weight and also stay healthy that way.

Last edited:
Day 6:

February 16, 2020.

1:43 PM: I went to do my mile walk, and I stopped early. It had dawned on me that I should let my legs make a full recovery, since they are still a little sore. So, seriously this time. Today for the entire day is a rest day. But if I end up training anyway, i'll probably do upper body training, and if I do, I'll edit this post.

For me each post will cover every five days.

Day 6 Edit:

Came up with a couple new stepping methods. Silent Step, and God Step. Just got to make it where my body is used to the movements, and i can do all three, Burst, God, and Silent when I want to, and change between them at will. Stayed inside most of the day, a very peaceful rest day indeed.

Day 7:

February 17, 2020

Walked my mile in 19 minutes and 58 seconds, a new record. After that I did my 500 proper form Short Swings, and my Perfect Defense Flexibility Training. Once I finished those, I did my Dragon Breathing Exercises and my 100 Squats. I think my body is getting used to my training because my entire body, and especially my legs aren't hurting near as badly as last time, but then again that could be the adrenaline talking.

I feel like I finished my training too soon. I might buy a Yoga Mat next month and learn some stretches. Flexibility is a must if I really want to have mastery over Ryu no Shiki. Especially when I begin the Swordsmanship and Hand to Hand Combat Specific Training. So far i've only done basic fitness training. I can't wait for the Technique Training! Even though I'm training myself, i'm still pumped up! When I start completing my fitness training an hour, mile included, and I reach my weight goal of 150 pounds, i'll begin my "Death Dragon: Dragon's Tongue" Sword Style Training. I will also begin my "Death Dragon: Dragon's Wings" Martial Arts Training. I will do both alongside my basic fitness training.

Last edited:
Day 8:

February 18, 2020, 3:20 PM CST

Thanks to a friend, I learned that my translation of the Death Dragon Style was incorrect. Which is cool, because the actual translation to Japanese is way cooler. So I used google translate, and it turns out Death Dragon Style translates to "Shiryu-tu" and not "Ryu no Shiki" which actually means Rino's Work, and I was all like, "Who the heck is Rino? I need to fixed this." So I updated the thread title accordingly.

As for my work out, I did my mile, and everything i've done so far all together, and completed my basic training in about an hour. I started around 2:00 PM and finished at exactly 3:14 PM.

When I woke up this morning my legs did not hurt at all from yesterday's training. And after my 100 squats, they barely hurt then either.

I decided to do some research on proper forms and what not, thanks to the advice of SCSaya06 SCSaya06 and CrowOuttaHell CrowOuttaHell before I do my advanced technique training for Shi no doragon sutairu: Doragon no shita (Death Dragon Style: Dragon's Tongue) or my training for Shi no doragon sutairu: Doragon no tsubasa (Death Dragon Style: Dragon's Wings) Which is the martial art.

I want to get the form down before I hurt myself trying to pull off anything that could hurt me.

Since I completed my basic fitness training for today in about an hour, I realized I need more training to fill the gap in time. I decided to buy a Yoga Mat next month and learn some stretches. That might help me flexibility some. I also plan on going back to Planet Fitness. There comes a point where I will stop getting stronger until I get weights, so I need to go to a gym eventually anyway.

Day 9:

Feburary 19, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.

Stayed up all night last night working on my manuscript, and ended up sleeping all day until about 2PM. Tonight is a church night, so I made today a rest day.

Day 10:

February 20, 2020 at 3:31 PM:

Decided to only do 100 of my 500 Proper Form Short Swings, but other than that, I did all of my basic training in about the same time as last time, after I walked my mile.

Day 11:

February 21, 2020 at 7:07 PM: Slacked off on my basic training today, but I did my mile. I'm starting to lose motivation training on my own, I really need a good gym. Or a rival that can train with me. Hopefully both.

Day 13:

February 23, 2020 at 5:21 PM:

Was seriously slacking off most of the day until I had an idea. "What if I combined all of the elements of my basic training?"

Here's a list of what my basic self-training was for Shiryu-tu:

1. 100 Squats
2. 500 Proper Form Short Swings
3. 1 Mile of Walking
4. Dragon Breathing Exercises
5. Burst Stepping until it became my natural walking method.
6. Flexibility Training for my arms.

It was too much for me not to give up, but just when I was about to stop, I had an idea.

In the end, I came up with the first Shiryu-tu Sword technique, and pulled it off!

"Death Dragon Style: Dragon's Tongue Technique Number One: Gliding"

From now on it is only technique training, I wonder if I can pull off an actual Art?

Like I imagined one time.

"Death Dragon Style: Dragon's Tongue Sacred Art: United Slashes of the Death Dragon King"

Though for that I need two swords, and making sure that when I spin and step forward I don't get dizzy. Well, it's something to shoot for as a goal.

Day 14:

February 24, 2020 at 6:00 PM:

Today was supposed to be training to handle surprise attacks. But it started to rain, and i needed rest anyway. So today is a rest day.

Day 15:

February 25, 2020 at 4:43 PM:

Just finished my technique training for the day. Put everything I have learned so far into practice, worked up a sweat.

I have to admit, i'm enjoying this now.

Day 16:

February 26, 2020 at 10:04 PM:

Did my technique training earlier today, and stepped on the scale, I'm down to 200.2 pounds after fixing my diet habits.

Also training to watch people's hands and feet, as well as their shadows, in order to predict their movements. Now my shoulder kills me. Fair trade?

Maybe.

Day 17:

February 27, 2020 at 4:40 PM:

My shoulder felt good enough to do my training today. So i did some more technique training, trying to get down my drawing motion form.

Day 22:

March 3, 2020 at 6:41 PM:

Did some laps across almost the entire length of my back yard with my Reverse Blade In hand, as well as a few Proper Form Full Swings with it.

Day 23:

March 4, 2020:

Taking a break from training indefinitely until I feel better.

I took an Extra Strength Five Hour Energy, and I haven't been to sleep at all yet. I took it early this morning. And it's been way past five hours.

Major Edit:

My body got used to the overflow of energy, and I was able to train today after all.

Yay!

Last edited:
Day 24:

March 5, 2020 at 11:41 PM:

Training went well today, all I did was some swings with my Reverse Blade, in order to get used to the weight of the sword.

Day 25:

March 6, 2020 at 7:40 PM:

Finally got my new training sword in!!!

Here's hoping it doesn't break, it is made out of poly-whatever material, should last longer than my bamboo swords do.

Gave it a few swings too.

Last edited:
Day 26:

March 7, 2020:

Finally completed my Spiritual Training. Be on the lookout world, I'm coming and I'm coming fast!!!

Day 28:

Last night I did some nightly laps around my house for like an hour before it started storming, and I did some more today.

I ended up where my legs basically moved on their own without me having to think, even closed my eyes a few times while walking and I stayed on course. That gave me time to focus on my Dragon Breathing Variations.

"Dragon Breathing: Hath Constant"

"Dragon Breathing: Normal"

"Dragon Breathing: Constant Flow"

I also was able to easily transition between normal Burst Stepping, and my Burst Stepping Variations:

"Burst Stepping: Normal"

"Burst Stepping: Half Mile Speed"

"Burst Stepping: Full Mile Speed"

I think i'll be able to pull off "Burst Acceleration" and "Burst Revolution" soon.

Other than that, my Polycarbonate Katana is really worth it. I might stress test it tomorrow, but since I don't have a sparring partner, I need a cement block or something.

I'll try to update this more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back