• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Deadlands

Instead of Kota or Cecily or anyone who had been with Dynis during the battle, it was Helen who ran through the door almost immediately. "Dynis? Dynis!" She ran over and stopped just short of giving her a hug, looking apprehensive. "Do you have any pain? Can you feel your leg? Do you feel feverish? I should not have left the room, I am so sorry," she said.

Unless Dynis was out all night, it was too early for Helen to be back already.

- Ask how long it has been
- Ask where you are
- Ask when Helen arrived
- Ask something else
(Optional): Hug Helen

"Hey Helen." Dynis smiled, relieved to see her. "I feel the leg, though I wish I didn't. Did you heal it already? Is the bone still broken? And did you manage to get us inside Cecily's ruins?" But what was most important was. "Is everyone alright?"

Helen relaxed, smiling in return. Without question she rest her hand carefully over Dynis' leg and began to heal it. "I have been healing it every half of an hour or so," she said. Her smile faltered. She looked tired. "The bone is... well... it will be broken for a while. I have been trying to speed up the process, but it is slow. As for the ruins..." She gestured to around them. "This is it. Kailu dispelled the barrier after the battle. He has become stronger since we last saw him, I think."

The door that had separated her and Cecily now stood open, letting rays of light inside. There was also an archway across from it on the other side of the room; Dynis could see stairs that led downwards into darkness.

"Everyone is alright. A bit battered and bruised, but they will survive," she said. Smiled a bit more brighter, a bit more genuine. "Your friend Cecily is quite the character. Heh, I do not think Mariella likes her much, though..."

- Ask about Kailu
- Ask about Cecily
- Ask about the battle
- Ask about the stairs
- Have everyone gather in the ruins
- Ask something else

"Well, can you call them all here? I'd love to hear what happened in the battle. I kind of blacked out partway through it." Dynis said with a small smile. Her memories were blurred and she needed so much to be filled in.

eeffc38e556aed235059891c8d068b5c.jpg

"Oh, yes! Sorry, I should have called them sooner," Helen said. Offered Dynis a smile, eyes flicking back to her broken leg briefly before she left the ruins.

A few minutes later, everyone began pouring into the ruins: Helen, Wendel, Daria, Colter, Zee, Mariella, and even Kailu. At the end came two new party members, one of which Dynis had not seen the face of in years. Cecily stood as one of the tallest party members, if not malnourished and skinnier than her normal lithe appearance, and wore blue, swirling tattoos - something apparently common in the Deadlands. Her blonde hair had grown quite long but she held it up in a side ponytail, a sickle on her belt. Beside her stood Kota in bear form looking rather domesticated.

Cecily smiled brightly upon seeing Dynis. Ran over as if to swallow her in a hug, but stopped at the last second. "It's so good to finally see you in person," she said. Her voice sounded a bit raspier in person, voice deeper than her other female teammates, though perhaps it was because now Dynis heard with her ears instead of her mind.

- Greet Cecily
- Hug Cecily
- Ask questions

Dynis looked up from her spot at the group approaching. Then she took a hold of Cecily's arm in order to stand up without leaning on her bad leg. Tired from that little effort she enveloped her in a hug. She smelled familiar. Like home.

"It is so good to see you." She said, a feeling of relief washing over her. She really was becoming too sentimental.

Cecily wrapped her up tightly, chin resting on her shoulder. She didn't move away until someone cleared their throat behind her, at which point she patted Dynis' back and released her. Stepped to the side. "So... we discussed everything while you were asleep. I think the others are better equipped to catch you up on stuff, though."

Smiling a bit awkwardly, Kailu raised a pair of jazz hands. "...Surprise! I don't know if you expected me to come or not but hopefully it's not too much of a strain," he said. "There's a lot of people here."

"Like a small army," Daria grinned. Her arm and shoulder looked freshly bandaged. Perhaps Helen brought more supplies than just herbs. "Helen and Mariella showed up just in time - and with a fire mage!" She snorted in amusement. "Surprised the shite outta me at first; the 'surprise' I set up had been a line of gunpowder down the middle of the sand. Make 'em thing we had some more magic if I set it off. I wasn't expectin' him."

Kailu smiled a bit more. "And I wasn't expecting gunpowder on the ground," he said.

"They nearly blew up the ruins," Mariella cut in, though she didn't look as sour as usual. She actually looked a little amused underneath the snarky exterior.

"Nearly," Daria stressed, "but not quite."

- Ask how Helen returned so quickly
- Ask about the ruins
- Ask about the Bleeding Suns ambush
- Ask something else

"Hi, Kailu." She smiled at the elf. "It's nice to see you." Then she fell silent for a while listening to their recap off the events she missed.

"There's one thing I want to know the most." Dynis said after a short pause. "Why did Kota save me? Was he under your control at the time, Cecily?

Cecily smiled a bit, "Yeah, that was me. He-... I-... Erm. I still had the connection with you when you attacked the beast and when you got hurt, I..."

"She saved your life," Wendel said. Helen and a handful of others nodded.

"I don't really know how I did it but I have full control over him now, awake or not," Cecily said. Patted Kota on the head. "I guess I just needed motivation?" Kailu and Helen exchanged looks, the latter visibly trying hard not to smile. In the back Mariella rolled her eyes. "Anyway! You should see what your friends brought from Junip-"

"It's so neat! One of them fancy ypotryll's," Daria said. "All fashioned nice and gaudy, too."

Wendel couldn't contain a smile, even when Daria was talking. "It's nice to be near one again," he said.

"Yes," Helen said, "it is actually an interesting story. Unfortunately, a long one. We have other things to discuss now that Dynis is awake."

The room quieted and it was Zee who broke the silence. Nobody else seemed willing to. "After talking to Colter," he gestured to the soldier, who lightly dipped his head, "and Cecily getting information from Kota's mind, I don't think your people know about the High Mother."

Cecily nodded. "From what I found out, she's very nice to those she doesn't kill."

"So... what are you going to do?"

- Answer

Dynis frowned a little after seeing that oddly shaped creature. It made her uncomfortable. But there were more important matters to discuss.

"First of all, Cecily, I know the bear man wanted to kill us both, but don't you think it's a bit cruel to hold him against his will like this the whole time? He is a human being after all." She gave Cecily a serious look.

"And... we need to deal with the High Mother, there is no doubt about that. After finishing our job in Hestar we should head back home... or something. We'll improvise. But that woman... she cannot be left alive." After a moment she smiled. "Thank you for saving my life."

Last edited:
Looking sheepish, Cecily's shoulders hunched somewhat. It did little to make her appear shorter - something she absolutely was not. "Uh... right, but, uh... what should I do with him?" Almost immediately Daria tossed her a length of rope from her own backpack. Cecily's brows lifted. "You think a rope is going to work on him? He'll just shift right out."

"Snatch him while he's human," Daria suggested. "He'll suffocate if he shifts back. Doubt he's interested in that, yeah?"

"Erm..." Cecily glanced down at the bear, "...Sure, I'll try that." She didn't seem completely convinced. Her look of concern, however, turned into a smile soft enough to mimic everyone else's.

Before anyone could break out the sentiments, however, Mariella waved off the happy atmosphere and spoke up. Those around her turned heads. She crossed her arms and glanced at Dynis' leg. "You're asking a lot, using the term 'we.'"

"Mariella," Zee tried, but she held up a hand and silenced him.

Shaking her head, Mariella met Dynis' eyes. "Your leg is busted, we've only got so much supplies, and after this stunt I'm willing to bet the Bleeding Suns are going to scour the Deadlands for you. On top of that, you want us to try fighting some immortal, evil being? If you can't defeat Nondrasi, what makes you think you can fight the High Mother?"

Both Helen and Kailu frowned. "Nondrasi is a completely different story," Helen said. "Dynis could have died-"

"It's the same exact thing," Mariella retorted. "She let that monster in our-" the elf woman motioned to her and Zee, the latter who deflated a bit, "-city and nearly lost, then. Following her now, we're all just going to end up like the citizens of Magdarene. She's going to get us killed." Mariella's words seemed to strike a chord with most of the group. The only ones visibly at Dynis' support were Helen and Cecily. Even Zee and Daria, who had shown loyalty to Dynis, appeared concerned. Colter, however, remained impassive as always. To win them over, Dynis would need to offer some sort of security.

Resources. Their supplies would eventually run out and, with the Bleeding Suns out for blood, shopping in towns and cities may prove difficult. To win a war, they would need a steady flow of supplies.

A home. None of those around her had a place to call home anymore and, if they did, the Bleeding Suns would likely find it soon enough. To win a war, they would need a home base.

An army. The group had grown, but it was far too small to wage battle against an immortal of godlike power. To win a war, they would need allies.

To win a war, Dynis would need a plan.

- Priority: Resources
- Priority: A home
- Priority: An army
- Something else

Dynis gave Mariella an unamused look. "Did you hear me say that I want you specifically to do my fighting for me? No. The term 'we' applied to Cecily and me. Solely." She stated, looking at each of her companions now. "It is our problem after all and one that we must deal with. I would appreciate each and every one of you, but I am not assuming that you should follow me blindly. I am not a commander or an emperor. I am just a Napari priestess who was betrayed by everything she believed in. And I'm not going to let any more of my Sisters go through the same ordeal."

After a short pause, she spoke again. "First of all, we need a hideout. Somewhere to lay low and somewhere we can rest and heal if injured. Somewhere desolate enough to be hidden, yet still well connected, as we will need supplies. Any suggestions?"

With a scowl, Mariella said no more. Eventually Helen broke the silence: "You are not going to like my suggestion but... perhaps the abandoned mines would serve us well." Considering the serpent and the kobold infestation, however, they would have to find some way to coexist peacefully underground or eradicate the creatures completely. Location-wise, however, it would be a rather profitable choice considering the hidden mines resided between two towns and a city. Though, Magdarene would not offer to establish a trade route after what happened. "Regardless of what you choose, I am not leaving you."

Beside her, Kailu looked like he wanted to say something, but remained quiet.

"I would suggest this place," Cecily said. "The Bleeding Suns know about it, but the underground is pretty labyrinthine. If you're talking about the mines further South, those aren't really stable, are they?" In response, Helen shook her head. "It'd take a lot of resources to make them safely functional, not to mention the pest problem... if the kobolds are still there."

The mines did need a lot of repair, but they were well-hidden amidst the sand dunes. In contrast, despite it's dust and explosion debris, the inside of the ruins Cecily had been locked in did look fairly sturdy - only, at the cost of their headquarters being known. Dynis could choose either one or wait for a potential better option to present itself later.

- Travel to Hestar
(Optional): Choose the Mines
(Optional): Choose the Ruins

"These ruins are kind of suitable, aren't they?" Dynis said, turning to Cecily. "We dealt with Bleeding Suns many times already and we always came out on top. Perhaps they will smarten up and find someone else to pester."

She did hope that most of the group would stay along for the ride, but she knew that some were bound to leave in pursuit of something else. She couldn't blame them, their lives were their own.

"We will need to deliver that stuff to Hestar though." She turned to look for Zee and Wenel. "Does anyone know how many days we have left?"

The two men in question glanced at each other. "Erm..."

"Today is day three out of seven," Mariella said without hesitation. She still looked a little ruffled from earlier, what with her arms crossed and shoulders tense, but at least she'd offered what she knew.

"Quite the memory," Daria commented, brows and lips lifting into the beginnings of a smirk -- until Mariella sent a scowl her way. It wiped the semi-flirtatious look right off her face.

All she said was, "I'm just paying attention to the important things," before stepping away. For as much of a fuss as she'd made earlier, she didn't head for the door. Not yet, at least.

Members of the party broke into quiet conversation - Dynis could hear snippets of dialogue regarding the security of the ruins - before Colter addressed Dynis. He, like half of their team, had been wounded during the battle. His was likely the worst, as it was still healing, but he didn't look in any pain. "A small team would do better in Hestar. The less attention, the better."

Cecily nodded. "I've been there before. They're not the friendliest bunch."

"Are you suggesting we split up?" Kailu asked. "I'm not sure about that."

A smaller team would mean splitting up for several days, but those that stayed behind could work on outfitting the ruins with defenses or making it more hospitable. Dynis could bring everyone to Hestar, however. What they lacked in subtlety, being such a large group, they made up for in strength.

- Choose 3 allies for a small team
- Helen​
- Cecily & Kota​
- Daria​
- Colter​
- Zee​
- Kailu​
- Wendel
- Mariella​
- Bring everyone to Hestar

"I vote for splitting up." Dynis said right away. The fewer of them went into Hestar, the less people she'd have to worry about. They were an odd bunch that kept getting into trouble all the time. "Wendel, Cecily and Daria, would you follow me to Hestar?" She asked, wanting them to actually agree. She was not a supreme leader, she was not in the position to order anyone around. Then suddenly, her gaze fell down to her leg. "Uh... am I going to be able to walk normally any time soon?"

Cecily nodded without hesitation. "Of course," she said. Glanced at Kota but said nothing further. Daria and Wendel glanced at each other, however, the latter looking far from pleased. He opened his mouth as if to protest but Helen cut him off.

"It will take at least a week of consistent healing to mend enough for proper unassisted walking," Helen said. She looked concerned. "But you will arrive in Hestar sooner than that. You will need to be very careful, Dynis, lest you incur another injury..."

Smiling, Cecily patted the elven woman on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it - we'll take care of her. Yeah?" Her eyes turned to Daria and Wendel, both who had not yet agreed.

Daria's lips quirked upwards after a moment. "Ya, she'll be a'right, Helen."

Wendel looked between the four women - Dynis, Cecily, Daria, and Helen - before uncrossing his arms with a gruff sigh. "Fine, but we leave tonight."

"Great! See? We've a well-rounded team now," Cecily said. "Nothing to worry about."

Nothing to worry about except the chill of Deadland's night and avoiding slavers. Wendel's condition had been to travel at night and, after defending his reasoning - the slavers would be easier to avoid than beasts attracted to the smell of injury - the others, including Daria, had agreed. It seemed nobody wanted to tangle with conflict while Dynis' leg was out of commission, but they couldn't afford to wait it out for fear of missing the delivery deadline.

Beside Cecily, Kota carried half of their equipment - that of which included the weapons crate they were to deliver. He didn't look tired, but then again his face was entirely void of expression to begin with. Despite Dynis' earlier concerns, the priestess had yet to relinquish her control of the shapeshifter.

As she walked, Daria held in her hands a small contraption. It looked to be made of tiny wooden blocks that interlocked. A small, complicated puzzle. She looked completely baffled by the device yet did not stop whatever she was trying to do with it.

Wendel walked a bit ahead, head turning every so often as if he'd heard something. He'd stand still for a moment before continuing forward; of the three, he seemed the most concerned about running into trouble.

- Walk with Cecily & Kota
- Walk with Daria
- Walk with Wendel
- Walk in silence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back