• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Darkest Shadow - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
The Shadow Realm of Helheim
Five Months Ago

The sky rained with blood.

The crimson rain poured down, with the ferocity like that of fire, and soaked the five figures below on the vast plains. And then - suddenly - a lightning. It flashed from the heavens like a white spear and struck down the purplish-blackish thing with four wings and two barbed tails. The darkling fell, burnt to a crisp, and a god emerged from under it, holding a hammer.

"Ha!" Thor spat, straightening himself again. He turned to another god, wearing a patch, next to him while whirling his Mjolnir, aiming for the one bird-like darkling plummeting straight toward him. "He thought he got me, that one!"

The one-eyed god did not speak. His only response was to swing his spear Gungnir toward a two-headed wolfish darkling, splitting the thing in two. His eyes blazed with fury as he turned toward the next one, his movement clean and concise. Thor grunted and turned away from Odin and toward his next prey. He knew that Odin would not speak in that berserk state of his. Better to end this battle quickly if he wanted him to speak a word.

The bird-like darkling was almost upon Thor now. With confidence, Thor let go of his Mjolnir and cracked its skull. But the thing simply writhed, and then, screeching, split into three smaller birds. Its eyes flashed like beads as it dived again toward Thor. Cursing, Thor summoned his Mjolnir to his side again and swung -

- only to see the three birds fall before him. One was stabbed by a feather, one was whacked with a staff, and the other simply fell from the sky, dead as a stone. Thor whipped around and saw Freyja with her feathered cloak, Forseti with his staff of justice, and Hel with her aura of gloom.

Thor grunted. "Now this is just embarrassing," he said. Only Freyja responded, not with words but with a faint smile. Then they turned back to the darklings again.

The war raged on, in this cursed land of the dead, the red blood pouring from the sky and the dark blood pouring from the corpses below, the bodies of darklings slowly piling up. The five of them fought. And then, after what seemed like eternity, the darkling horde began to thin. The end was almost near.

And then, suddenly, all the darklings stopped moving. And turned their heads toward the north. As if on cue, the five gods and goddesses stopped too.

"Stay alert. Their head is coming," Odin said, somewhat unnecessarily. They all knew that the stronger darkling can control the weaker ones. They all knew what was coming.

The ground rumbled. They all turned to north and watched as the giant, three-headed man-beast sauntered toward. Each of his footsteps made the ground tremor, as if the Earth Herself was afraid.

The giant bellowed, pointing his clawed finger toward the one-eyed god.

"ODIN! You and me, one on one. Humanity ends today!"

The patched god stepped forward. The other four stepped back. The two combatants looked at each other, Odin with cold calculation and poise of a warrior, the man-beast with the hunger of a predator.

They did not stare like that for long.

It was the man-beast who attacked first. He bellowed like a mad cow and charged forward, extending his claws toward Odin. But Odin saw it coming, the move was too obvious for him. He simply stepped sideways and then, without wasting a single moment, slashed at his Achilles' heel, making the man-beast tumble onto the ground. The man-beast tried to stand up, but could not - blood gushed out from his heels as he struggled furtively. Finally, he howled with laughter, knowing that his fate was sealed.

"Very well. You have defeated me, with honor at that." The man-beast crackled. "But Odin... surely even you can't deny that - "

But before he could finish his sentence, his breath was cut short by a dagger in his throat. The man-beast fell onto the bloody earth, dead. Loki emerged from behind him, wielding the weapon that had slain the thing.

"I simply don't understand..." Loki said, licking the dagger and savoring the darkling's blood. "Why show honor to them when they show you none?"

Odin sighed. He took up his spear. The darklings around him were becoming berserk again without the leader. They took up their weapons again, and fought the remaining darklings to the bitter end. After all the remaining darkling blood was spilled, and the last one fell onto the corpse pile, the six of them stood on the bloody plains. Finally, Odin spoke.

"The world is becoming more corrupted."

"We are not enough."

"We need warriors."

"We need... Mag-Krigeres."

The Great Forest
Present

The afternoon sunlight shone down from above, bathing the trees in warm yellow glow.

The wind passed by the forest, and the leaves rustled in response. The birds sang from the branches above as if answering to the wind's chorus. Below, there was a lake in the middle, the water cold as ice yet clear as crystal. Plenty of bushes around the lake provided shelter for the small critters of all kind, some bearing the sweet spring fruits. The wild green grass stretched on for as far as eyes could see around the lake. This was where all kinds of animals called their home, and where many others stayed.

But the animals weren't the only ones there. The veteran Mag-Krigeres were here, too. They were the only ones here who had a hint of what was coming. Last night, they were contacted by their respective Patron Deities - in case of Meriam, she was contacted by Thor - to be on the lookout for new recruits. It seemed that the world needed more Mag-Krigeres, which meant that, of course, disaster was coming. In addition, they received instruction to be on the lookout for an old woman with a wild hair, and to never let her fall into enemy hands no matter what. "Kill her, if it comes to that," they had said. And then the gods disappeared back into the mist, leaving the instruction at that.

The wind blew again. The rustlings grew louder, and then again, quiet. The stage was set. And yet, for now, everything was peaceful, just as it has been for decades.

The calm before the approaching storm.

strangers in the wood. humans, with their shining sharps. hide, but stay. sometimes humans drop food. sometimes humans kill other hunters. yes, here good.

A rat's chain of reasoning is simple enough. They don't need to consider a wide variety of objectives; food, safety, and mates are all the average rodent will ever need concern themselves with. This one – young, nameless – expands a bit beyond her kind's usual limits, but not in terms of goals. Instead, her mental equations include a wider set of factors – things like the ways different sorts of predator interact, for example. She's survived more than one close call by pitting two creatures that both saw her as a meal against each other.

On this occasion, a new factor is added to her logic – the vague sense of something... uncanny. It's not in a rat's nature to worry about abstract things like bad vibes or environmental tension, but it's so palpable here that to not consider it would be insane. The little one twitches her nose in the air, trying to get a sensory impression of whatever is so different today. Nothing becomes clear but the feeling remains. run? no, she decides. strange, but not bad. stay. maybe learn.

So she stays, hidden beneath a bush, beady eyes peering out at the not-quite-human arrivals.

Prey. A wily little bugger had been prowling about Maria's turf lately, something that her instincts didn't much like. She had almost caught it before, a scrawny rat (though all rats really looked scrawny to a cat), but she oddly hadn't been able to get the drop on it, and any chase usually led her to crossing paths with an angry mutt. Her tail lashed out in irritation at the scent of the rat. Real concrete thoughts were beyond her level of intelligence, but this feeling... frustration. Prey that refused to be prey. Today would be different. Her house was on the edge of the forest, and there was the fear of predators, and getting lost, in the forest, that wouldn't stop her. There was always that urge to go further, to bound through the woods.

Today she would follow that urge, carefully follow the scent of the rat. It took some time, though the concept of hours passing was foreign to the cat, carefully picking out that one scent from the mingling scents of the forest. There were many unfamiliar scents, not unexpected. Curiously, there was the scent of... some humans? There was something off about it, though. It wasn't the scent of her guardians, nor any of those who visited. It was enough to make her fur raise, but she wasn't going to give up, not when she was this close. The scent was strong, her prey was close. Maria carefully wiggled her way under a bush to peer about from a safe location, and...

...was that her prey?

Saving the world had its perks, a nice house, enough money to live without worries and a great school to learn more about the wonderful world she had been living in. Her duty has served and everything was peaceful the years afterwards. So why is Freyja appearing in front of her all of the sudden. "I did what you wanted, it's my time now. Please, leave." She went back to unpacking her bag, taking the books she'll need to read tonight if she wants to pass her exams tomorrow.

Freyja takes one of the books, flipping through the pages until she sees it. "You're bored." She gently puts the book on the desk, multiple drawings of her hunting monsters is clearly visible. "The heart wants what the hear wants, my dear, and yours is a warrior's heart." Out of nowhere she takes out the girl's student file and slams it the table. "Archery Club, debate club, Fencing club, student council president." She sounds a bit proud to that last one. "You can't change who you are, I need you to do what you do best... Win." She dissipates in a flurry of feathers, the wind whispering to her ear the instructions to follow.

Although Venus sighs, there's a smirk on her face. She missed the thrill, the rush of knowing once again she had a chance to use her powers against formidable foes. That's why she actually went to the forest the next day, flying in her full pinkish dove form. All the vibrant colors and fresh air were something she didn't think would miss so much, she transforms back to her human form as she's sure no regular humans would be here at this time. Her magical outfit makes her stand out with its primarily colors being red and pink in that sea of greens, browns and blues.

She walks towards the lake, looking at her reflection in it and fixing whatever it's out of place. "Much better... Now, where's everyone?" She looks around for a while, sensing multiple life forms in the forest a few of which she can recognize from previous missions. "I see they're getting gang back together, it must be worse than I thought."

In Saja's opinion, there was no better kind of species to be than an Owl.

Granted, Saja was a little bit biased towards this opinion, being an owl herself. That and she'd never experienced not being an owl before, but she was convinced that being an owl was the best thing to be. Sure, humans looked interesting to her sometimes when she saw them out at night, and other birds were of course bigger than her... but it was good to be an owl. She got to hunt prey at night, sleep, hunt some more... what else could anyone ask for?

Unfortunately for Saja... her sleeping was interrupted, this time around. Waking up, the owl... doesn't quite know what woke her up. It's daytime. But... she's awake. But... not much seems to be going on. She's not under attack by a predator, nor can she hear loud noises...

But something is different today. And Saja doesn't know what.

All she knows is that she's awake now, and for a reason.

The one-winged raven took a deep breath and shook his feathers. He cawed and surveyed his surroundings once, then twice. Wind. Sunlight. Fresh air. All was good. All was as it should be.

Or was it?

The raven preened his feathers, deep in thought. No, the raven decided. All was not good. There was one thing missing. What was it?

This raven, oblivious to the tension in the air, completely unaware of the approaching storm, finally decided on what is missing. He didn't have a full stomach! He scratched his beak on the branches he was sitting on, high up in the air. What to do, what to do?

Then, he saw something in the corner of his eyes. What's that? A worm, wriggling in the cracks between the tree barks. That solved his problems. He happily hopped toward the worm, and then...

...with a crack, the branch gave way under him. He cawed in surprise and began to fall. He flapped his wings, more out of instinct than reason, but alas, the one-winged bird could not fly. Screeching, he fell onto the cold lake below him. Completely soaked, he began to swim toward the ground, using his one good wing as a paddle of sorts. Finally, he arrived at the shore and shook himself, shaking the water off of his feathers.

The wind passed by the leaves again, rustling them and this time, bringing a faint scent of blood. A frail-looking old woman entered the clearing, her wild hair flying in the air like dried seagrass moored to a rock. Her clothes were barely hanging together, like a rag about to fall apart. She ran and stumbled, at times almost falling into the grass, but somehow kept herself upright.

"Oh, dear, I screwed up really badly this time," she trembled as she ran into the middle of the clearing. How odd - she was speaking a human tongue, yet her voice was layered with magic, allowing the animals around her to understand her as well.

She looked at the rat hidden in the underbrush. "Oh no..." she trembled. "So you're here too? The one chosen by Loki? How odd that your instinct for survival has led you to this cursed place..."

Then, whipping around, her eyes lands on the seemingly-ordinary cat. "I see that Forseti's chosen is here also." Her voice took on a saddened tone. "Maybe it would have been better if you had not ventured here. But then, maybe the god would have found you regardless."

She looked up at the owl, awake for some reason in the sunlight. "And Hel's chosen is here too. So many picked as Mag-Krigeres this time around... I hope this wouldn't be the end of the world as we know it..."

"And the one winged raven is here too," the old woman whispered, looking at the swimming raven. "Ah, how terrible it must be to be struck down by the gods not once but twice!"

But her tone changed drastically when she saw Venus. Her entire body began to shake now, like a last leaf about to fall from the branch. "Are you - are you here for me?" The woman said, her eyes wide like that of a prey about to be eaten. Still trembling, she approached Venus with one hand outstretched. "I suppose it doesn't matter. Listen closely. I had two apprentices under me - Alfhild and Hertha - they are both in grave danger, I don't care what you do to me, as long as they're safe -"

Then, the distant rumble shook the forest. The whole land seemed to tremble at that moment, like Earth herself was afraid. But the trembling soon died down, and it was back to normal again. As if nothing had happened.

Bo walks towards the lake with a languid lope, as if unconcerned with the world around him. He'd been in the middle of a race with Tarek when Heimdall had graced him with the vision and had immediately ran off, challenge forgotten as a more important order was given. But now as he approached, he couldn't help but feel a trickle of unease shiver down his spine. When he'd become a krigere, he and the others had mostly been left to figure it out on their own terms.

This would be different, though. Maybe with some guidance, this batch could be better than his. I'm not going to let them die. He promised himself. Not like-- the others. His friends. Out of his generation, there were so few left now. As the whorl of the lake grew larger in the distance, Bo's keen eyes couldn't help but notice a small form struggling towards the shore. "I'll be right back!" He barks to Tarek, before bounding off. As he runs, his form changes, bones cracking and rearranging themselves until he's entirely human. He approached the small creature that laid drenched on the sand, a raven, cautiously holding out his hands before bending over to scoop it up.

It's only then that he notices the women, and senses the multiple presences littering the clearing. The ground beneath his feet shook and Bo trembled, clutching the wet form of the bird closer as if to protect it.

Venus saw as the raven fell in the water, a bit surprised but amused at such display. Of course she avoided any drop of water from staining her precious outfit, she was about to speak to him when she felt an odd presence behind her. There she saw a woman, She must be the one to protect or kill she thought to herself. She seemed vaguely familiar for some reason but right now she could not place her in an exact memory. She extended out her left hand into the air, while hearing her nervous babbling, her crossbow appeared in a flurry of red hearts of pure energy.

"If you say so." Her index finger presses the trigger, a heart pointed arrow flying towards the old lady at full speed. However, as the earth began to shake, it misses the head by a couple inches and only makes a little cut to her earlobe. As the blood drips to the grass she can feel all the sorrow and pain inside the woman's heart, which makes her feel pity for her. "I'm not killing you, for now. I'm actually here to keep you away from them." She tosses the crossbow away and it disappears in a flurry of hearts once more before hitting the ground. "And i would prefer to just kill you now to ensure that but i get the feeling it was a last resort sort of thing." She rolls her eyes, lifting her right hand towards her own chest. A heart shaped construct appears on her palm, a physical manifestation of the old lady's heart. "But you know, if we can't protect you your heart needs to stop beating." At her words she presses on the construct of energy slightly, ordering her with her power directly.

Then she dismisses the energetic heart away, letting out a sigh. "Now, these Alfhild and Herta." She pauses a bit, double checking the names in her head. "Where are they? I'm guessing they must also be protected..." Or killed, if it comes to that. She finished the sentence in her head, no need to make the woman even more nervous. "Why are you and them so important again?" She glances back at the woman, slightly interested. If they gods are so worried she must be someone important or have important knowledge of sorts.

Last edited:
An eagle circled above the lake, on the lookout for both her fellow Mag-Krigere and a late lunch.

...Well, maybe not lunch, Fjell mused. A meeting, and a call to arms, Mimir had said in his usual faint whispers. Her fellows would be there, and there was no real way for the eagle to ensure what game she caught both wasn't and wasn't slated to become one of her kindred. Fjell knew that she should have hunted more on the way to the lake, but Mimir never sent messages unless it was urgent.

From above, Fjell spotted a few figures. Three humanoids, one of which was the old woman Mimir mentioned. Another appeared to be threatening the target with a crossbow? The message did mention killing the target if necessary. Fjell could understand the urge to simply remove any chance of failure.

Fjell flew in and landed near the old woman and the crossbow-wielding Mag-Krigere, perching on a nearby tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back