• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Dalish Curse: A Dragon Age Adventure

full
Combat Round #2

It all happened so quickly; before anyone could react the Qunari grabbed the weapons off the table and bolted towards the front of the inn. Amina rushed in the door just in time to see Kata jump through the window, her outstretched hand powerless to stop vem.

"Go, go!" Haran hissed, pushing Amina out of the door again. She stared wide-eyed at the Qunari now running through the village for only a fraction of a second before running in the opposite direction towards the jailhouse. "SOUND THE ALARM!" Her father bellowed out behind her. It took a moment but a deep ringing (unlike the soft chime of the chantry handbells) began to sound throughout the town.

While Arne wondered if he perhaps had his eyes on the wrong enemy Jason slunk to the floor and Tarl was quick to knock him out with the hilt of his blade. Tarl rolled the elf over, removing his quiver and placing Jason's hands behind his back to cuff him.

Harold sat at the table, still picking at his breakfast. "You have Arne here take the boy to Brenn."

"Good idea," agreed Tarl, and with a nod jogged out of the inn to see if Kata could still be located.

Arne lifted Jason over his shoulder and began the short walk towards Vintiver's Jailhouse while worried townsfolk fled into their houses for safety.

Arne & Tarl
Arne Dale 43.jpgTarl Dale 52.jpg

Arne Dale- 35/35 HP
Actions Taken: None

Tarl Dale - 52/52 HP
Actions Taken: Aim & Melee Attack » Jason
Initiative Order

◈ Arne
◈ Kata
◈ Jason
◈ Tarl

Kata runs for the tree line, away from where they originally entered the town. Ve'll have to figure out how to get the weapons back to Jason later, but for now just feels an odd mix of satisfaction and sickness at having secured them.

Hidden in the tree line, Kata puts a hand to vir chest and casts a healing charm.

Jason

Being knocked out had always been the best sleep Jason had ever had, no matter how short it was. This time was no different his level of soreness on par with all the others if a bit spread out. Jason allowed himself to lay limp eyes darting up and around assessing his place to be generally nonthreatening. Being rash from how inconceivably pissed of he was, was not the answer. Not yet.

Unfortunately, depending on who you asked, Jason had the tendency to rile peple up. So as his eyes caught Mary Smyth he couldn't resist provoking her; he wasn't completely sure she could see his wink but knowing the grin splitting his face would be hard to miss. Suddenly, letting this town burn didn't seem like such a hellish idea, as long as Kata was ok. Speaking of...

"Hey Arne!" Jason let himself go limp once more but tapped his fingers on his butt making sure they worked and because it added attention.

"Kata good? Or are we stringing them up by the neck elsewhere? Trussing them up is fine as long as no humans are harmed right? I know that has been carved out of my ears a time or two" and now he was giggling a joke only he and a couple of kids he grew up with would get.

Last edited:
[div class="container"] [div class="characterImage"] [div class="characterName humanName"] SITHIG [/div] [div class="characterTitle humanTitle"] AVVAR MERCENARY [/div] [div class="tagsContainer" style="display: none;"]
Health: 34/34
[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

[div class="textContainer"] [div class="textChild"] [div class="text"]
Damn, that was over fast. That was barely twenty seconds. Reminder not to mess with the guards, they will fuck your shit up. If it had gone on any longer, he might have gotten involved, though he couldn't decide which side he would take. It doesn't matter either way, since one ran off and the other was arrested. He just wanted to get a drink and flirt with a girl, and now he's probably going to get investigated for killing some blight wolves and bringing some random elf girl to town with them. Speaking of which, how was she doing? She ought to have woken up by now.

Well, not like he had much better to do. Might as well check on her. Next caravan probably isn't gonna come this way for a bit, and he doubted that the guard would hire a mercenary, especially one that travelled with the two criminals that just fought them. At least he made enough to stay here comfortably for a bit. Still, it would probably be best to let everyone cool down before trying to visit. So he sat back down into a chair, and began to pet his dog.
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]
[class=background] width: 100%; height: 725px; padding-top: 25px; background-color: #ECEBD4; [/class] [class=container] width: 500px; height: 700px; margin: auto; display: inline [/class] [class=characterName] color: White; font-family: Syncopate, Sans-Serif; font-size: 60px; font-weight: 900; text-align: center; padding: 70px 15px 0px; 15px; [/class] [class=characterTitle] color: White; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: center; margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 25px; [/class] [class=tagsContainer] width: 30%; background-color: #353530; padding: 15px; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-Serif; font-size: 10px; margin: auto; color: white; [/class] [class=characterImage] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(http://cdn.greenpacks.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/the-andes-mountains.jpg) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class name=characterImage state=hover] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://imgur.com/eTVxtAB.jpg) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class=textContainer] width: 100%; height: 400px; font-family: Raleway, Sans-serif; overflow: hidden; display: inline-block; border-left: 6px solid #0B5394; box-sizing: border-box; [/class] [class=textChild] width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; padding: 0px 17px 0px 10px; display: inline-block; text-align: justify; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block; text-align: justify; margin-right: 15px; [/class] [script class=characterImage on=mouseenter] hide humanName hide humanTitle fadeIn 500 godName fadeIn 500 godTitle fadeIn 500 tagsContainer [/script] [script class=characterImage on=mouseleave] hide godName hide godTitle hide tagsContainer[/script]​

full

Arne shook his head as Jason spoke, making sure elf didn't attempt to break free of his hold. "Crazy man," he muttered as he nodded to a now red-faced Mary.

"What's the knife-ear gone and done?" Mary was quick to ask as Arne turned the corner towards the jailhouse, nearly bumping into his cousin Brenn.

"Mary, for the last time, please go inside," Brenn requested, clearly irritated.

"I know what I saw!" She screeched her fists clenched, "An' this whole town will know too, soon enough!" The two continued to argue, their voices only slightly drowned out as Arne closed the jailhouse door behind him.

The jailhouse smelled slightly of mold, despite looking rather clean and well-kept. To the right of the door was an alcove inside which was a polished wooden desk with a large stack of papers, a candle, and two cups of a steaming beverage. Forward ahead six metal-barred jail cells lined the walls, three on each side, and directly ahead, another door.

Arne dropped Jason on the floor of one of the cells unceremoniously and stood over him for a moment. "Stay still," he demanded and then left the elf in the jailhouse.

The warning bells had finally stopped, and the people cautiously peaked out of their houses. Work resumed as usual in the Inn, with the exception of Haran calling all of the guests into the main room and stepping on a chair so his voice could be heard.

"Our sincere apologies; we know this isn't what you all expected. On behalf of my family and I," Haran held his wife Kelsa close, who brought a handkerchief to one eye, "your meals and drinks today are free of charge. We apologize for closing early, and for all the chaos you've had to witness, and we hope to see you all again next year, under better circumstances."

Kelsa began to weep softly as Finella began to make her way around the room, quietly taking orders.

EVERYONE ROLL FOR PERCEPTION
/r 3d6+PER+Focus #**SEEING/HEARING**

full

Jason

"Erect and attentive" Jason called after Arne waiting for the man to disappear before shuffling his feet under him half ready to make an attempt on the cuffs when he heard them. Soft breaths indirect and off somewhere Brenn and Mary's conversation just out of his range but:

"Eshara?" he spoke softly

Not that he was any good to her now, not that he was any good anyway, but he could try to get a few of his questions out of the way before Brenn inevitably yelled at him. Jason still wasn't sure how he was going to speak to him, not apologize that was for sure, no use lying to the man. As uncouth as he had become some people Jason considered people good until proven otherwise, people leaked their darkness upon others like sickness and then blamed everyone else. Jason did it too.

"Eshara, my name is Jason, I was the one to find you at the farm, are you alright?"

Kata catches vir breath, hiding pressed against the trees and listening for vir pursuers. After a time they stop their search - Kata can't be be sure if ve isn't worth the time or if it's too much effort.

Either way, out of the woods for now. Or, rather, in them. Ve has a feeling the caravan isn't going to take vem now, which is frustrating.

Kata skulks about the woods, keeping half an eye in the direction of the town. Ve'll have to return these weapons, but now ve doesn't really know when. Ve sits, looking at the goods, and feels kind of silly. It just doesn't make sense to vem - why would someone try to arrest vem for protecting the elf's arms? Ve hadn't been stealing, ve hadn't been attacking.

Fereldan still makes no sense to vem.

Last edited:
[div class="container"] [div class="characterImage"] [div class="characterName humanName"] SITHIG [/div] [div class="characterTitle humanTitle"] AVVAR MERCENARY [/div] [div class="tagsContainer" style="display: none;"]
[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

After getting his free meal, he didn't have much to do, and Arcill was getting restless. Sithig gave the dog a bit of dried meat he had in his bag, and exited the tavern. After going over the options one last time, he decided on taking a quick walk in the woods. Seemed the least likely to cause trouble, and even if it did, it would be trouble he could deal with. He eventually remembered that he bought that special something, and with nothing left to do, he popped the cork and downed the whole thing.
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]
[class=background] width: 100%; height: 725px; padding-top: 25px; background-color: #ECEBD4; [/class] [class=container] width: 500px; height: 700px; margin: auto; display: inline [/class] [class=characterName] color: White; font-family: Syncopate, Sans-Serif; font-size: 60px; font-weight: 900; text-align: center; padding: 70px 15px 0px; 15px; [/class] [class=characterTitle] color: White; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: center; margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 25px; [/class] [class=tagsContainer] width: 30%; background-color: #353530; padding: 15px; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-Serif; font-size: 10px; margin: auto; color: white; [/class] [class=characterImage] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(http://cdn.greenpacks.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/the-andes-mountains.jpg) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class name=characterImage state=hover] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://imgur.com/eTVxtAB.jpg) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class=textContainer] width: 100%; height: 400px; font-family: Raleway, Sans-serif; overflow: hidden; display: inline-block; border-left: 6px solid #0B5394; box-sizing: border-box; [/class] [class=textChild] width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; padding: 0px 17px 0px 10px; display: inline-block; text-align: justify; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block; text-align: justify; margin-right: 15px; [/class] [script class=characterImage on=mouseenter] hide humanName hide humanTitle fadeIn 500 godName fadeIn 500 godTitle fadeIn 500 tagsContainer [/script] [script class=characterImage on=mouseleave] hide godName hide godTitle hide tagsContainer[/script]​

full
Eshara
Eshara2.jpg

The elf, upon hearing her name, peeked out above the desk from where she had been hiding and after a moment took several soft steps towards Jason's open cell. No longer dressed in her blood-stained armor Eshara approached cautiously, her small hands holding what appeared to be a golden locket on a chain and her waifish frame obscured by a white shirt several sizes too big. Her large greenish eyes studied him for a moment.

"Was it?" She asked, "Ma serannas. Unfortunately, I can't quite recall it. I thought you were someone else at the time..." Pulling a chair from the desk she sat herself in front of the other elf. "I am," she paused for a moment, her voice wavering slightly, "I've been better. My people, my clan... they're almost all gone." Taking a deep breath to situate herself she leaned against the chair, "Is it true you tried to kill a shemlen's hound?"

full

Jason

Jason stayed as still as a board as she came closer, but didn't feel all that threatening with his hands unusable. Eshara looked even thinner in that shirt, but awake was a good sign, his eyes darted over her form not sure what he was going to see, but knowing what he didn't want. The quick thought of he should have followed Brenn crossed his mind before nixing it immediately; best not to think about what could have been, ever.

"You thought I was someone from your clan" Jason surmised thankful for the thought. He remembered it, remembered her speaking to him as if he had any idea what she had been saying. "I am sorry I was not who you wished but I am glad to see you in better health" Jason's voice lowered in response to her sadness, trying not to let any underlying understanding enter his tone "I hope it brings you comfort to know that no other Dalish were found there"

"I thought killing a shemlen might get me killed but the hound would get me to you"
Jason smiled wanting to take the change of subject in stride but he sighed in the next second "After being attacked by blight wolves I reacted poorly to the non-human sound of pounding feet" I am not sorry for being paranoid Jason just stopped himself from saying feeling it was implied enough as he set his shoulders back, head tilted up in defiance.

[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

After he downed it, nothing had happened. Disappointed, Sithig sat down on a rock, waiting for it to kick in. Soon enough, his vision zoomed out, and he was in a room with a single... what looked like a glass candle, hanging from the screen. He tried to move, but he was restrained. In fact, more than restrained. He didn't have a body at all. He was in a metal box, and he could only see through a small window. He went through what felt like days of just waiting, unmoving, yet no hunger nor thirst nor fatigue came over him.

After all this time, someone came into the room. loading the box onto a cart and wheeling it out into a strange place. It was filled with dozens of similar boxes, glass lit up with moving paintings. He managed to catch some words on them. Pac-Man, Galaga, Street Fighter. The floor was neon swirls, covered in dirt and food. After the man who wheeled him out fiddled around the back of his box, his own window lit up, and there he waited until morning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day after day, my cabinet stood proudly, people coming from miles away just for a chance at playing with me. I battled with them, though I never lost. I couldn't lose. I refused to lose. Even so, I was revered, and in perfect patient lines, they'd wait their turn to play. They couldn't see what was playing against them behind the screen, but that didn't matter. My lungs were filled to the brim with quarters, and I liked it. The music was but my heart gently beeping.

I'm happy for years and years, and only eating the occasional maintenance man. Only driving a few kids to madness, but maybe they were predisposed to madness, who knows? I only wanted to have fun, but my days were limited. They were making this small box, and soon enough it would fit into kids' hands. What would happen then? Surely, I wouldn't go obsolete, would I? Sure, they could play games at home, but arcades were a social experience too. Yeah, it'll be fine. I'll be popular for decades to come.

It's getting pretty lonely, and the quarters that once let me breathe have stopped flowing in. The arcade's empty, I think it's Christmas Eve. I hear a crash from the window, and some teenagers walk over to me. Maybe they wanted one last chance to play with me before I get put out of commission? No. Taking out a spray can and painting on my skin. Breaking me and taking my quarters. Bashing in my face with a crowbar. Kicking me and pushing me over. Now they see my blood on their sneakers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reality, Sithig was shaking on the rock, spit dribbling out of his mouth. Arcill barked at him, pawing at him to get him to get better. After a minute of nothing, the dog ran off to find help, barking loudly to get attention. Deeper and deeper into the woods he went, hoping to find someone.
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]

After a time of sitting, ve hears barking in the woods. Kata jumps up to hide, but the sound is oddly familiar. Ve realises why once the owner runs into view - it's the warrior's dog that had travelled in with vem.

Hoping Sithig hadn't volunteered to help hunt vem, ve didn't resist as the dog approached.

"Hullo." Ve offered as ve leaned down to give Arcill some pats.

But the dog didn't seem interested in recreation, instead continuing to bark insistently, dashes away a few paces and then back to Kata. With a bit of reluctance, Kata followed after the dog, trying to shush it. Thankfully it stopped the sound as ve continued to follow.

Eventually, Arcill led vem to an alarming sight. Kata's eyes went wide, looking over the frothing man. Ve tries to lay him on the ground, away from rocks and twigs, and tries to figure out what's happened.

Last edited:
full

The Dalish elf's lips trembled slightly at the mention of her clan and who she had, at the time, believed Jason to be. "It brings me no comfort," she replied, her face lightly reddening as a wave of internal heat threatened her. Eshara took a deep breath, her body wavering as though she might faint at any moment- but she didn't. Instead, she quirked an eyebrow at the other elf's attempt at a joke, frowning slightly at the mention of wolves.

"Blight wolves?" She asked in confusion.

The door opened without warning and Brenn strode through the jailhouse, locking the door behind him. He started at the sight of Eshara seated in front of the attempted canine slayer and frowned when he met Jason's eyes and defiant posture. With a loud sigh, he slammed Jason's cell shut and locked it.

"You've caused quite the stir this morning," he spoke to the jailed elf once the cell was secure. "Place your hands through the bars and I'll unshackle you. I have some questions for you and I'd appreciate it if you were cooperative." While he waited for Jason to comply he glanced at Eshara worriedly, placing the back of his hand softly on her forehead. She flinched reflexively but did nothing to stop it.

"You're still burning up," Brenn mumbled. "Finish your tea and get some more rest."

"I'm fine," she replied dismissively, waving her hand.

"No, you're not fine, and you'll be doing no one any favors by running back out into the forest in this state."

"I'm not Renan, Brenn!" She shot back at him, immediately regretting the words once they left her lips. "I'm sorry..."

Brenn did his best to remain passive, handing her the cup of tea she had started earlier and turned back towards Jason. "Raina is willing to let this incident go if you're willing to pay for the supplies used to tend to her mabaris. You also owe Kesla for breakfast at the inn. Other than that, you'll be free to go tomorrow morning."

full

Jason

"Yes, I want to say they took out the farm but my group…" Jason's face scrunched not sure if my group was exactly what he was going with here but it worked well enough.

Not that he got to finish his thought as Brenn walked in snorting as he closed the cell door but deciding not to comment. Talking always did seem to land him into trouble, years later didn’t seem to change much about that fact.

Being able to stand with his hands behind his back is something he likes to think he has perfected over the years; he's even found if they're close enough you can break their nose, but that wasn't the point. He shot a glance to Eshra once more to make sure she was welcoming of the touch before stepping forward, looking at them curiously as they spoke. They definitely knew each other, which made him feel oddly better.

“Sure, how much?” he shrugged tapping the chains on the jail as he turned to let Brenn unlock him.

full

Working quickly, Brenn unlocked the shackles around Jason's wrists and slid them out through the cell bars, allowing Jason once again full movement. "It's 15 copper for the breakfast, and I'd say about 10 silver should cover the materials used for the mabari's." His eyes met Jason's with a disapproving glance, "You hurt one of them pretty badly."

"Blight wolves... no," Eshara shook her head slightly, thinking to herself. "No, it wasn't wolves that attacked my clan, but they were some form of Darkspawn," she frowned. "When I first saw you at the farm I thought... I thought you were Harralan, our Keeper's son. He was the first of us to go missing."

Brenn looked surprised at this information, "Harralan was? Wasn't he the one who attacked Coalan?"

Eshara nodded sheepishly, as though embarrassed about the whole situation. "He's always been a bit hot-headed-"

Her words were cut off by a sudden knock on the jailhouse door which Brenn got up to answer, closing the door behind him so that they could not see out and no one else could see in.

Eshara lifted herself from her chair with great effort, walking towards the captive elf and grabbing the cell bars to steady herself. "I plan on leaving tonight if I can, although I doubt Brenn will allow it. I know I already owe you my life, but if I tell you what happened to my people and free you, will you come with me? No one else here is willing to help... they think us all murderers!"

full

[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

Over the next minute or so, Sithig returned to consciousness, albeit with a headache to rival the pain of getting a limb torn off. The sun shone down into his eyes, the oppressive light nigh blinding him. He felt like he was about to freeze to death, yet at the same time he thought he was boiling from the inside. He tried to open his eyes, only to have the bright star above him invade his pupils again. "Ugh, this is what I get for trying to get to get some..." grumbled Sithig, not noticing Kata just yet, due to not being able to open his eyes. He tried to stand, but only succeeded in kneeling, and his body began to force out the wyvern venom out of his mouth.
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]

Kata puts a hand on his shoulder, trying to guide him back down to laying on his side.

"You shouldn't move. You're sick. What happened? You were okay this morning."

Ve watches with attentive yet concerned eyes, trying to be a supportive presence.

[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

After finishing expelling the drug from his body for the time being, he let himself be laid back down, groaning. It took him a few seconds to register Kata, and took another while to find the words for the answer. “I tried to get into that hot girl’s, Amina’s, pants. She offered me some wyvern venom. I bought it, and here we are. Too bad you two causing a scene ruined the mood. I thought I might’ve had a chance otherwise...” he groaned, stopping for breath every few words.
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]

Kata pressed vir lips together, frustrated at the reminder.

"They were taking his arms. I do not understand why they fought me like that."

Ve calms a second later, "Nevermind. Hm, what was the venom like?" Ve had little experience with drugs and the chance to find out about them second hand was... intriguing.

[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

"It doesn't matter, he won, not you, so he was right. Simple as that." replied Sithig, seemingly having a weird sense of law as well.

"Maker, I barely even remember... It was scary, I can tell you that much. It felt like years passed in seconds, I lived a whole life in there. I think... I think I might've died. Beyond that, it's too foggy for any actual details. Sorry." he answered, not bothering to try to get up again. He just laid there, breathing in and out, trying not to throw up again.
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]

"You did not die." Kata says with confidence, scrunching up vir face with his interpretation of the law.

"Are... you going to report me?"

[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

”I... I don’t know. Probably not. If someone did the same for me, I’d probably be... well I’d not be here, I’ll tell you that much.” he said, Arcill snuggling under his arm.
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]

Kata smiles, the action slight and more than a little shy.

"Thank you. Did you see if they took Jason in? I will need to watch for his release..."

Ve blinks and adds; "You do not need to stay, if you wish. Though company is... welcome."

[/div] [/div][/div]​
[div class="container"]

“Yeah, they did. He got knocked on his ass and was taken to jail. I got a free meal and drink from it, so it wasn’t all bad.” he answered, and began looking around him. Lots of trees. “Not like I have anywhere to go. Or any way to move, really.”
[/div] [/div]
[/div]​
[/div]

Kata quirked an eyebrow.

"You're not hurt. Dizzy."

Nonetheless ve enjoys the company while ve has it. They move around closer to the jailhouse, keeping an eye out for Jason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back