• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sephus

Roleplay Type(s)
Hello, I'm Chris.

About me:
  • I'm a 29 year old male.
  • I work from home.
  • I'm critical, self-loathing, and a touch nihilistic.
  • In times of great stress or inspiration, I turn to writing.

My goals:
  • To overcome my resistance to and fear of writing.
  • To write daily.
  • To write a novel.
  • To leave a legacy.

Writing & Communication:
  • I write semi-literate, literate, and novella length posts. I typically write lit/novella as default, while semi-lit can be used for more back-and-forth scenes.
    • Quality over quantity.
  • I've only written the male mains in pairings. I've written female before but only for my solo works or minor characters. I'm not opposed to writing as a female, just not as confident.
  • I may ask for you to respond to a prompt (aka flash fiction?) in lieu of a writing sample. I can/will open or respond to the prompt as we see fit.
  • I love OOC. I'm also down for chatting without roleplaying. So hit me up for a friendly chat. Let's talk about movies, series, music, life in general o:
  • Please be 18+

Stories:
  • Probably the most subjective and finicky topic.
  • I believe a story is the conveyance of a rather mundane and predictable life-lesson(s) through palatable and immersive means. Like eating brussels sprouts loaded with bacon and butter, where the sprouts are the unpalatable, but nutritious lessons, mixed with the fatty and savory bits of novel ideas.
  • Stories are a constant balancing act between cohesion and immersion, cliches and novelty, writer and audience.

Original vs Fandoms:
  • I lean towards original roleplays, as the planning tends to flesh out expectations and details indicative of the quality of the story that will be told.
  • I find fandoms tend to lean too heavily on a world written by other people, and thus relied on rather than borrowed from. Perhaps, fandom RPs actually require more work and research than Originals, as cross referencing and fact checking are necessary for story coherency and immersion. It could just be the skeptic that already renders me critical and cautious.
  • To anyone skilled at fandoms, I love to be proved wrong.

Plotting vs Pantsing:
  • Naturally, I'm a pantser. Spontaneity and the procession towards the unknown fascinates me. My strength and my bane.
  • I would like to collaborate with a strong plotter. Not a requirement.
  • Sometimes I'm a little wary of over-discussion with new partners, as I find many stories trip and stumble over the massive expectation that is built from days or weeks of deliberating and detailing.
    • That said, I don’t think I've thoroughly plotted a roleplay, and would love to see where that would take us; an outline doesn’t dictate the details in between nor the overall outcome, as inspiration could open new doors.

Preferred settings (But not limited to):
  1. Futuristic/ sci-fi/ cyber-punk
  2. Fantasy (low or high)
  3. Modern with a twist (any kind of twist is welcome, e.g.: magic, powers, monster, aliens, etc)

Pairings (But not limited to):
This section irks me, but I feel I have to at least provide a few:
  1. Gods & Goddesses (Let's discuss mythos and religion)
  2. Soldier/ Criminal & Captive
  3. High school crushes gone in different directions, to meet in the near or distant future. Fates re-intertwined
  4. 1 or 2 abusees (not a word, I know) run away, literally or figuratively
  5. Adventurers/ seafarers/ spacefarers/ explorers (I'm watching One Piece, so I've got a minor craving for this); A or B can also be an indigenous person/ species

Genres & Limits:
  • Open to all, except for roleplays that are exclusively slice-of-life.
    • I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of the time, I find them lacking in substance and direction.
  • No limits.
    • At least, I think I don't have any.

Writing Samples:
  • None for now. If you really want, you can check my old interest check linked in my signature.
    • I might update this later.
  • I'm down to exchange responses to prompts in a PM, in lieu of writing samples.
    • I prefer off the cuff and reflex writings as opposed to writings that were written in a context outside of roleplaying.
    • My writing may differ from the style and ability I wrote with in the past.

PM only please. Reply only if you're a new member, and I can PM you.

Last edited:
It's not writing itself that you should be afraid of but instead this thinly veiled elitist that you call yourself only reinforced by whatever 'touch nihilism' is, the keyword being nihilist. Pardon me, but with such a first impression, you only ought to shove your own fears down others throats; kind of ironic for someone that's also doesn't want to rely on high expectations for a RP plot.

It's not writing itself that you should be afraid of but instead this thinly veiled elitist that you call yourself only reinforced by whatever 'touch nihilism' is, the keyword being nihilist. Pardon me, but with such a first impression, you only ought to shove your own fears down others throats; kind of ironic for someone that's also doesn't want to rely on high expectations for a RP plot.
Oof? I'll keep this in mind. Thank you for your candidness.

Edit:
Just rereading this, and while I do agree with part of it, I'm a little confused to the rest. I'll leave you with my thoughts as well.
You hit the nail on the head. It is the elitist in me that I fear. I am my greatest critic. And it stops me from writing anything on my own. Thus, I'm experimenting with different methods on how to get over this hurdle.
If you're not familiar with what nihilism means, it entails a hopelessness and apathy towards our own fates and the universe itself; life is meaningless, thus my choices and journey are also meaningless. I don't live my life to this tenet, I just feel it from time to time.
I'm not sure what you mean by shoving my own fears down other's throats? Does it make you uncomfortable that I share my fears with others? Perhaps I shouldn't?
I guess we could go into what an interest check is trying to accomplish, and here's what I believe an interest check is for:
1) To find suitable partners,
2) To give others a preview of what they're going to get, should they choose to engage with you (generally speaking),
3) To set expectations early, so we can reduce the chance of of ghosting and what-not.

And to the irony that you speak of: I shove my fear down other's throats, thus it's ironic that I don't want to rely on high expectations for an RP plot? Still trying to unpack this. So I'm being ironic, by sharing my fears, because I like to get started on an RP before it stagnates in the process of deliberation and detailing. This is probably a blind-spot of mine, so I'm not saying it's not there, but it's difficult for me to understand.

Again, thanks for taking the time to leave a constructive criticism (:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back