• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern The Cult

BreezyB

Notice! The in-character forum is opening tomorrow (the 4th)! If you regret missing the interest check, fear not! Feel free to fill out a character sheet and shoot me a PM so we can set up a natural way for you to enter the story.

Sunshine Falls, Arizona, was established as a gated community. It was designed to be completely self sustaining, producing it's own power and food and other necessities. It's exports were primarily lumber at the time, though the town now produces large quantities of metals, stone, and other valuable underground goods - although there is no know mine in the area.

Today, it seems like the perfect home for new families. It's safe, well maintained, and full of friendly neighbors. Beautiful houses with dirt-cheap rent are plentiful, although upon closer look many of them are empty. In fact, the current population of Sunshine Falls is the subject of some debate, in part thanks to the refusal of the community to communicate with outsiders.There is one road in, and the same road is the only one out. It is guarded 24/7 to keep outnundesirables.

What the world doesn't know is that Sunshine Falls is home to the largest cult in American history.

James May, a well educated man, came to the town decades ago. When he first moved into the community, he brought with him a massive influx of people whom he call his Family. Every one of these people voted for James May as mayor, and nobody has been able to run a campaign against him since. As the mayor, he worked tirelessly to bring followers into the town, expanding his Family (and voting pool) and driving out the well-meaning original inhabitants. Now the Family runs every aspect of the town, quietly pulling the strings and monitoring each other to keep out dissent.

In the month of August, an ad was put in the paper to attract new families to "the perfect home," a place where "families are welcome!" No amount of research could unearth the sickness growing in the heart of the town. And so, like every year before, one or two clueless families saw the ad and put their down payment on one of the beautiful houses in town.

They don't know it yet, but election day is coming.

So! This roleplay is for a small to medium group of people depending on interest. The town is run by a nearly omnipresent cult bent on expanding their numbers and keeping their secrets hidden. Will you pry where you're unwanted or give in to save yourself and your family? Will you fight back quietly, or would you rather poke the beehive? That's up to you.

I will write for James May and many of the cultists. There is room for a second in command, if somebody would like to help control the cultist forces.

It is in no way required, but I would like to see one or two "families" of two to three people, rather than complete strangers. I think that that will raise the stakes.

Ultimately I hope to keep this RP fairly realistic, although there may be some supernatural forces going on as well.. ;)

Please be willing to post at least once a day. There is no requirement to post length, I only ask that everybody have a good time!

P.S. this is my first interest check, feel free to ask questions or offer suggestions!

Last edited:
Ho boy I love dark themes!
u H

So hopefully more people will join this bandwagon because I do love it, and I know I can't ask you to spoil me the plot, but will this be like a survival type rp?
And will it be like 2 - 3 people per family (If we get that enough people), or if not, should we make our own if needed to be?

Originally this was a short story idea I was working on, but it got me thinking about how other people would react to a cult that looked utterly, boringly normal on the outside but devolved into terrorists and violent madmen when confronted by new people that didn't buy in. The world would be fairly normal at first, with a town oddly obsessed about election day and who the players are voting for. Once election day comes, the cult starts to show it's true face by terrorizing anybody who didn't vote for James May and tries to scare them out of town.

I think families can work either way. If there are a few players that are interested in being a family unit together that might make it more exciting. If somebody wants to RP their own family that's fine as well.

Originally this was a short story idea I was working on, but it got me thinking about how other people would react to a cult that looked utterly, boringly normal on the outside but devolved into terrorists and violent madmen when confronted by new people that didn't buy in. The world would be fairly normal at first, with a town oddly obsessed about election day and who the players are voting for. Once election day comes, the cult starts to show it's true face by terrorizing anybody who didn't vote for James May and tries to scare them out of town.

I think families can work either way. If there are a few players that are interested in being a family unit together that might make it more exciting. If somebody wants to RP their own family that's fine as well.
Alright just whenever you have enough people and if you get ready for the sheets and etc, I would be inspired most greatly.

Sunshine Falls, Arizona, was established as a gated community. It was designed to be completely self sustaining, producing it's own power and food and other necessities. It's exports were primarily lumber at the time, though the town now produces large quantities of metals, stone, and other valuable underground goods - though there is no know mine in the area.

Today, it seems like the perfect home for new families. It seems safe, well maintained, and full of friendly neighbors. Beautiful houses with dirt-cheap rent are plentiful, although upon closer look many of them are empty. In fact, the current population of Sunshine Falls is the subject of some debate, in part thanks to the refusal of the community to communicate with outsiders. There is one road in, and the same road is the only one out. It is guarded 24/7 to keep undesirables out.

What the world doesn't know is that Sunshine Falls is home to the largest cult in American history.

James May, a well educated man, came to the town decades ago. When he first moved into the community, he brought with him a massive influx of people whom he call his Family. Every one of these people voted for James May as mayor, and nobody has been able to run a campaign against him since. As the mayor, he worked tirelessly to bring followers into the town, expanding his Family (and voting pool) and driving out the well-meaning original inhabitants. Now the Family runs every aspect of the town, quietly pulling the strings and monitoring each other to keep out dissent.

In the month of August, an ad was put in the paper to attract new families to "the perfect home," a place where "families are welcome!" No amount of research could unearth the sickness growing in the heart of the town. And so, like every year before, one or two clueless families saw the ad and put their down payment on one of the beautiful houses in town.

They don't know it yet, but election day is coming.

So! This roleplay is for a small to medium group of people depending on interest. The town is run by a nearly omnipresent cult bent on expanding their numbers and keeping their secrets hidden. Will you pry where you're unwanted or give in to save yourself and your family? Will you fight back quietly, or would you rather poke the beehive? That's up to you.

I will write for James May and many of the cultists. There is room for a second in command, if somebody would like to help control the cultist forces.

It is in no way required, but I would like to see one or two "families" of two to three people, rather than complete strangers. I think that that will raise the stakes.

Ultimately I hope to keep this RP fairly realistic, although there may be some supernatural forces going on as well.. ;)

Please be willing to post at least once a day. There is no requirement to post length, I only ask that everybody have a good time!

P.S. this is my first interest check, feel free to ask questions or offer suggestions!

I would love to play as the new, skeptical neighbor who -probably- knows something is up! Great idea, by the way!
Oh, and I would totally be willing to join someone else's family.

sketch1546223267605.png

1. James May's family home is a spacious and we'll guarded mansion at the top of a hill overlooking the wooded area to the west. When he isn't working on... managorial work around the community, he usually recouperates with his family here.

2. The community is fenced in to the north, but in every other direction all you can see is uncultivated forestry. Most of it is fenced off from the public, and there is no access permitted to outsiders.

3. The pride and joy of the community, thee Sunshine Fall Nurturing Center of Learning. School must be out, because you never see the buses picking up students. There is a few people milling around 24/7, they seem to be on guard?

4. The Gymnasium. This is where the vote for the next mayor is scheduled to occur. Apparently tyurnout around here is mental.

5. The Daily Paper. An entire paper made only for members of the community. It's a good way to keep track of what's going on around town. That is, if you trust the people writing it.

6. Many of the houses here are connected through the back by a series of grassy paths. Vehicles would be unable to move along these paths, though.

7. When you got here, you probably thought the community gate would have one pudgy guard every other day or something, right? Turns out it's a 24/7 regime of armed jackasses who think they're the army or something. They're very particular about who come in, and nobody is allowed out unless they approve the exit.

8. There is a paved path leading deep into the wooded area. It seems important, but the fence is locked up pretty securely.

9. There is a grassy path along the length of the fence and just out of view of the front gate. That being said, anbody spending too long over there might raise a lot of unwanted suspicion...

Holy moly, I'm so pleasently surprised wiith the response! I will create an OOC threat shortly with a character sheet and the map above that gives you a good idea of how this community is interconnected. There's also a list of places that would raise some suspicion just by driving through the neighborhood, so count those as freebies. Everything else the cult does is done in secret.

1. James May's family home is a spacious and we'll guarded mansion at the top of a hill overlooking the wooded area to the west. When he isn't working on... managorial work around the community, he usually recouperates with his family here.

2. The community is fenced in to the north, but in every other direction all you can see is uncultivated forestry. Most of it is fenced off from the public, and there is no access permitted to outsiders.

3. The pride and joy of the community, thee Sunshine Fall Nurturing Center of Learning. School must be out, because you never see the buses picking up students. There is a few people milling around 24/7, they seem to be on guard?

4. The Gymnasium. This is where the vote for the next mayor is scheduled to occur. Apparently tyurnout around here is mental.

5. The Daily Paper. An entire paper made only for members of the community. It's a good way to keep track of what's going on around town. That is, if you trust the people writing it.

6. Many of the houses here are connected through the back by a series of grassy paths. Vehicles would be unable to move along these paths, though.

7. When you got here, you probably thought the community gate would have one pudgy guard every other day or something, right? Turns out it's a 24/7 regime of armed jackasses who think they're the army or something. They're very particular about who come in, and nobody is allowed out unless they approve the exit.

8. There is a paved path leading deep into the wooded area. It seems important, but the fence is locked up pretty securely.

9. There is a grassy path along the length of the fence and just out of view of the front gate. That being said, anbody spending too long over there might raise a lot of unwanted suspicion...

Holy moly, I'm so pleasently surprised wiith the response! I will create an OOC threat shortly with a character sheet and the map above that gives you a good idea of how this community is interconnected. There's also a list of places that would raise some suspicion just by driving through the neighborhood, so count those as freebies. Everything else the cult does is done in secret.
Thanks! I'm super excited for this :)

Interested! I'd love to play as a brainwashed cult fanatic if you have any more openings.

If you'd like to be a cultist, please post the character sheet in my private messages instead of on the OCC, contrary to what the character sheet says!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back