• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Crooked Lands (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Also, if someone had a shard that gave them the power to curse/cast a spell, is that spell sustained even if that person is no longer in possession of the shard? And what happens to any spells if the shard vanishes out of existence?

Yes, it is possible to resurrect the dead and no, the spell would not be sustained if the Shard is separated from its bearer as it would no longer be active. If the Shard expires, any effects it has will also expire so anyone resurrected by a Shard is essentially living on borrowed time.

Yes, it is possible to resurrect the dead and no, the spell would not be sustained if the Shard is separated from its bearer as it would no longer be active. If the Shard expires, any effects it has will also expire so anyone resurrected by a Shard is essentially living on borrowed time.
Are you gonna add that to the Q&A section of the lore? Or what kind of questions is that part for?

Yeah, I might as well, eh. Anything related to the rp, that's where it'll go. If it's in the form of a pm, I'll ask for permission first. Think I'll add this too.

Just a quick clarification, what constitutes a sustained spell?

Ex: Turned a rock into a wooden stool. vs Enchanting a cow to float in the air

Would that rock turn back, just as that cow would fall?

Assuming the Shard has been separated from its owner or switched out for another then yes, the rock would turn back and the cow would drop out of the air. Basically, any effects of a Shard is sustained for as long as it is in close physical contact with its bearer and for that matter, all Shardbearers share the same weakness. Lose the Shard, lose the power. Like the one ring from LotR, Bilbo and Frodo only turned invisible after putting the ring on their finger and then became visible again after taking it off. Shards work the same way except they can simply be held in one's hand or worn anywhere else, as long as it's somewhere on the body.

Okdok!

So if someone made food for a village using a shard, for a year (eat it, metabolize it, and then poo/pee it out, etc), and then somehow lost the shard, would the bodies rapidly waste away, or would they revert to the moments before they had their first shard-produced meal a year ago?

Last edited:
Also, if someone is cured of a fatal disease by use of a shard, lives out their life, and then dies of old age-- if that shard-user loses the shard, how is the body of the dead affected? (Do they revert to being alive and diseased or does their corps appear to have the disease when it didn't a moment ago, etc) And how does cremation factor in?

And one more question: Does this mean any deaths by the use of a shard are reversed? If so, is it that the once-dead-guy appears in the spot/place they were killed by the shard, OR, do they appear wherever their corps ended up? (And how do bodies being burned by fire, or cannibalized, factor in?)

Last edited:
Hoo boy, this is going to be a lot for the Q&A section. Okay, in response to your first reply, the answer would be neither as the effect of the Shard was to make food, so as far as that goes, its job ends there. As to how that food is made exactly, that's where you'd have to go into details. Assuming however that the food has been converted from something else, then it'd be unfortunate if the Shard was lost at the time someone was eating, but if that food was eaten like a day or so before then, then there'd be no harm done as the nutrients would be real since the food was real up until the loss of the Shard, and by then it would've been... out. Going back to your previous question, if a rock was turned into a chair then chopped up into firewood and then the Shard was lost, misplaced or put away, then the broken bits of chair would turn into broken bits of rock. So basically, whatever damage something receives in its changed state would translate over when it reverts to its original form.

Same deal for your second reply except I'll add that the cure is the effect, living to old age is the consequence and dying is simply inevitable. If old buddy was cremated before the loss of the Shard, then it'd be the same if they were cremated after. They'd still be a pile of ashes. The only difference is dying to the disease or some other natural cause.

As for deaths by any Shard being reversed... it depends. If that's the ability the Shard grants, just make someone living into not-living without any cause except for that being the effect of the Shard, then yes, it's possible for that to be reversed by simply taking the Shard away from its owner. However, as mentioned before, any damage done to the dead person before then will carry over so even if the Shard was taken away from its owner and the effect was ended, the dead person could still die soon afterwards or simply remain dead if they were in that state for too long (lack of oxygen leading to brain death). Otherwise, if the Shard worked in any other way, then no, deaths by Shard powers would not be reversed upon loss of the Shard.

Forgive me for saying, but I couldn't understand the second half of your last question, so I'll just hazard a guess and say that the corpse stays where it is.

On another note, this is why I want people to let me know if they want their character to be a Shardbearer, because each Shard can only do a single specific thing and depending on what you want, we're going to have to figure out EXACTLY how it's going to work so nothing can be left up to interpretation. We could do that here, but I'd much rather discuss that sort of thing through pm.

Last edited:
Posted up a WIP. The wordy stuff is all done, so I should have to done pretty quickly tomorrow. If it's alright, I might forgo an appearance image, finding them for settings like this always takes me like forty years. I also haven't spell checked yet, so forgive me for any funky stuff. It'll be fixed in the final.

Last edited:
That's alright, just take your time. The roleplay hasn't started yet and I'm still working on my own characters too. I suppose I could make images optional if you prefer, but in that case a description will definitely need to be provided.

That's alright, just take your time. The roleplay hasn't started yet and I'm still working on my own characters too. I suppose I could make images optional if you prefer, but in that case a description will definitely need to be provided.
It just depends on if I can dig anything up or not. I've got a brief description as is, though. I'll add some technical details like height and weight in tomorrow.

I'd say Deirdre is finished, for the time being. If non-Shard Bearers turn out to be in a vast minority when the next few sheets roll in, I might give her a starting shard of some sort, but I don't plan to if that isn't the case.

That's alright, not everyone has to have a Shard power to play an active role in the story. There's little reason for people who already have Shards to be in the Crooked Lands anyway except to hire themselves out as guides and bodyguards, and with your character I think she might just be the one to do the hiring.

Anyways, I've updated the lore a bit on the Kovosian Empire faction and I didn't really give much of an impression of what they might look like, so I'll just say it out here. Think of them as a cross between medieval Europe, Rome and the Slavic regions a la the Witcher games. As for the Vetic Tribes... I'll think about that tomorrow. Hopefully start seeing some Vetic characters afterwards. For now I'm thinking Celtic Scots, Gauls and Scandinavian vikings.

Last edited:
So that's it for factions. Up next is everything about possession. Fun stuff. For those who want to kill off their characters or bring them back after dying without a resurrection type Shard, this will be of particular interest.

Looking forward to seeing your own myself.

Sorry to everyone for the radio silence btw. Been wrestling a bit with how I want the whole possession thing to work and it's taking a lot longer than I expected. I'll be honest, this could be the part where I start the roleplay before finishing the lore and while that's not ideal, we probably won't have to worry about it until later on into the story. But in any case, whether I finish hammering out the details for possession or not, I'll be writing the first post tomorrow and then everyone else can join in after your characters have been approved. It's about time we get this thing started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back