• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Crooked Lands (Dark Medieval Fantasy)

Enkerzed

Dusty Wanderer
THE CROOKED LANDS

Somewhere in the west, they say a star fell from the heavens and changed the earth where it struck.

They say it grants power to those with the courage to seek it.

To gain the strength of a thousand men or even conquer death itself.

They say it is a blessing...

d2yw5ze-7d93bc16-97ee-4c3c-b915-c1689f355dda.jpg

I say it is a curse.

Through towering spires and abyssal chasms.

Through trials of demons within and without.

Will you find what you seek or does damnation await?

wastelands_by_clintcearley_d2a4ibg-fullview.jpg

Here in these Crooked Lands.

Setting

The main setting of the roleplay takes place in a vast rocky wasteland known as 'The Crooked Lands', full of jagged cliffs, crags and spires that jut out from the land like spears. Or fangs. Every now and then, a great rumbling takes place and more spires shoot up from the earth or simply fall apart, raining boulders seemingly at random. As if that's not enough, the soul of any living creature that dies in these lands become trapped and may possess other beings that become too tired, injured or unsound of mind to resist possession and mutation. All of this is due to the effects of the meteor that lies somewhere in the heart of the wasteland.

Those who manage to reach it are said to be blessed with divine power and a few such individuals exist as proof of the rumour, bearing Shards of the meteor and taking it with them out into the world. However, like the sporadically appearing and disappearing spires of the wastes after each 'rumbling', these Shards may also simply crumble into dust without warning, drawing former 'Shardbearers' or new seekers to the Crooked Lands, again and again. Until it kills them. The meteor grants blessings to whoever can find it, but the search itself is a curse and the land is warped by it.

Even so, the powers the meteor grants is worth the risk in the eyes of many and its presence has already shaken up the entire world. Adventurers from near and far trip over themselves in the effort to find it, and entire nations have warred and competed to lay claim to the wastes. Two in particular stand out from the rest as the strongest claimants over the region: the Kovosian Empire to the east and the Vetic people of the west. On the entire continent of Virn, the Kovosian Empire possesses the largest territory and are militarily the most powerful, but the Vetic tribes are closest to the Crooked Lands and what they may lack in numbers or wealth, they make up for in Shardbearers. For many of them, venturing into the crags of the wastes has become a rite of passage and their warriors are known to be fiercest on all of Virn.

Regardless of whether one is Kovosian, Vetic or some distant outlander, all who gather in search of the fallen star and its blessings are simply known as 'Seekers', and all of them must suffer the same ordeals as any other. Rumblings, rockfalls, bandits, mutants, starvation, dehydration, madness, possession, all of it at once or one at a time, again and again and again. So the question is, how much are you willing to endure for power beyond this world?

Just a few more tidbits of info. Tech level's medieval and yes, you may have more than one character, but each must have their own sheet and it's humans only. If you want your character to be a Shardbearer, shoot me a pm about it and we'll figure out the details together. Also, there'll be a bit of an inventory and survival kind of system throughout the roleplay, but I'll get into that more as I work on it. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here, or in the OOC thread, or pm me directly and I'll answer as best as I can. Also, if this roleplay seems interesting enough for you to join, please let me know as it helps keep me from ending it all motivated. It keeps me motivated.

Last edited:
Me too. And since there are so many ways to die in this RP, I can kill my character off if in case I get busy.

Last edited:
I knew I was forgetting something. As of a few days ago, the roleplay has officially begun so come one, come all. Always accepting, all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back