• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Crew [Blades in the Dark] (OPEN)

Would the brute angle then make them the cutter role or still as a leech, albeit a strong leech?
If we wanna get funky with it, it’s probably a strong leech as the better route? Might be a Wlf question.
Yeah, so all the character playbooks (types) are decent everything. It’s just what you're best at Or focus on. So, do you want to earn XP for solving problems/challenges with violence (Cutter) or with technical skill (Leech)?

I'm thinking of a Lurk, Dishonored style. Focusing on the mystical and unusual things in the world. Depending on what the game allows or what it has, talismans and little trinkets to help my character do what he's best at, sneaking and stealing more magical Knick knacks. Maybe in pursuit of something bigger and stronger, or something otherworldly.
That's the cool part. There is a world loosely defined, but you get to tell me which elements color it and your character.

Yeah, so all the character playbooks (types) are decent everything. It’s just what you're best at Or focus on. So, do you want to earn XP for solving problems/challenges with violence (Cutter) or with technical skill (Leech)?

That's the cool part. There is a world loosely defined, but you get to tell me which elements color it and your character.
So the spider would be earning xp for me doing smart things? Plotting and scheming?

Does that mean we can build a giant steampunk robot in retaliation to defeat a cult about to raise an ancient evil god?

I'd be interested in some collaboration. I figure our characters would have to be somewhat aware of each other.

I'll look up magical stuff around this and figure out what I want to do. For now, I have to go to work.

iirc, I haven’t looked through the rule book for this game in depth, but Apoc World has built in system for character background collaboration and connection. With this being a hack of that system, there also might be some collab stuff we can use in there too when the game gets going properly

I suppose a big part here might what sort of crew we want.

An academic Spider, scientific leech, and arcane lurk.

Could have some fun merging of magic and technology. Not just in methods. But potentially in goals as well.

iirc, I haven’t looked through the rule book for this game in depth, but Apoc World has built in system for character background collaboration and connection. With this being a hack of that system, there also might be some collab stuff we can use in there too when the game gets going properly
That’s normally a good call, but this one is a bit different. Mechanically, you’re tied together by being a crew. So, there’s no mechanical history. But, that doesn’t mean you don’t have a history together.

Kinda tempted by this. I like the idea of being in my own fantasy criminal gang, especially in a setting with Dishonored as an inspiration, and I would certainly be up for more gaming with the familiar faces here. But on the other hand, I'm also a bit mindful of committing to too many games, especially when I'm currently working on getting one of my own set up, so for the moment I might give this one a pass. You lot have fun though!

So, one of the things about the setting is that each city is encircled by lightning towers powered by electroplasm to keep out the horrors that roam the world after the Cataclysm. They get electroplasm from the lieviathans they hunt at sea—basically whale-like demons. The leviathan’s have electroplasmic blood they use to extract electroplasm.

I guess it’s similar to Dishonored’s whale oil that is used to power arc pylons? I haven’t played that game, so, I’m not sure.

I’m going to give it another day or so and then if we don’t have more interest, we’ll start with three instead of four.

So, one of the things about the setting is that each city is encircled by lightning towers powered by electroplasm to keep out the horrors that roam the world after the Cataclysm. They get electroplasm from the lieviathans they hunt at sea—basically whale-like demons. The leviathan’s have electroplasmic blood they use to extract electroplasm.

I guess it’s similar to Dishonored’s whale oil that is used to power arc pylons? I haven’t played that game, so, I’m not sure.

I’m going to give it another day or so and then if we don’t have more interest, we’ll start with three instead of four.

That sounds pretty metal. I love it. I want to be a whaler next.

Dishonored is a fun game to play. Another good game to check out is Styx which is about a Goblin thief.

I think the Electro-plasm is what I was thinking in terms of strong-leech. Filtering it and pumping it into veins, becoming something greater than human or demon. A pipe dream but a dream none the less.

I think the Electro-plasm is what I was thinking in terms of strong-leech. Filtering it and pumping it into veins, becoming something greater than human or demon. A pipe dream but a dream none the less.
To harness the power of those creatures! To become an leviathan oneself!

Teh Frixz Teh Frixz

If your character is obsessed with harnessing electro-plasm. Maybe my I could work the study of leviathans and electro-plasma into what the Professor was doing before he turned to a life of crime. Give them some connection they can make use of.

I love that! Maybe something where they can both look back and just be amazed at how far they’ve fallen in a few short years? Possibly ‘disgraced’ academics?

That is funny. I was also thinking about being an academic that got into studying magical stuff and then into stealing them because he was unhappy about people hoarding them.

We are going to be what you get when you fuse Breaking Bad with Indiana Jones.

I love that! Maybe something where they can both look back and just be amazed at how far they’ve fallen in a few short years? Possibly ‘disgraced’ academics?

That leaves some pretty cool opportunities for relationship. Teacher and student. Research partners. Co workers that came to like minded outcome.

And disgrace? Knowledge knows no shame! They are the disgrace for kicking us out.

That is funny. I was also thinking about being an academic that got into studying magical stuff and then into stealing them because he was unhappy about people hoarding them.
And you as well? Wonderful! Do you want in with the collab too?

We are going to be what you get when you fuse Breaking Bad with Indiana Jones.

That leaves some pretty cool opportunities for relationship. Teacher and student. Research partners. Co workers that came to like minded outcome.

And disgrace? Knowledge knows no shame! They are the disgrace for kicking us out.

And you as well? Wonderful! Do you want in with the collab too?

Since it might end up being just us three, it only makes sense for everyone to know each other :P

A gang of former academics turned to crime. I’m getting strong ‘Game of Shadows’ vibes here. Love it so much.

Oh, this sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to play, if there's still room. Basically every book inspiration is one I've read and enjoyed very much.

As for possible ideas, I would be leaning strongly towards Slide. I think it could be fun to have a persuasive fellow who loves hearing themselves talk... perhaps a little too much. If everyone is going with the academic background, perhaps they're the lecturer who is really good at arguing for funding. But, well, there are faster ways of getting money than browbeating it out of administration...

Since we all seem to be going the academic route. I’m wondering if there’s an option for us to maintain an air of ‘legitimacy’ for the gang. Keep our professor titles, teach the occasional classes, steal priceless artifacts and sell them to the highest bidders etc.

Since we all seem to be going the academic route. I’m wondering if there’s an option for us to maintain an air of ‘legitimacy’ for the gang. Keep our professor titles, teach the occasional classes, steal priceless artifacts and sell them to the highest bidders etc.
Where the professors have "interdisciplinary meetings to bolster connections between various fields" that are occasionally planning sessions on the clock... that could be a very fun thing for the characters to juggle. Having an important conference but needing to gather intel at the same time. Or gathering intel at the academic conference for the next heist.

Oh, this sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to play, if there's still room. Basically every book inspiration is one I've read and enjoyed very much.

As for possible ideas, I would be leaning strongly towards Slide. I think it could be fun to have a persuasive fellow who loves hearing themselves talk... perhaps a little too much. If everyone is going with the academic background, perhaps they're the lecturer who is really good at arguing for funding. But, well, there are faster ways of getting money than browbeating it out of administration...
Woo! Awesome! Would LOVE to have you. And that gets us four!

Been awhile since we’ve gotten to game together. Excited.

I’ll get these threads going. While I do, think about the type of crew you want to be.

Teh Frixz Teh Frixz Seraph Darkfire Seraph Darkfire D. Rex D. Rex

Kind of in prep, but also, Blades has me really excited for this…genre? I’ve been watching Peaky Blinders, finally. It’s something a lot of people have mentioned to me or recommended and I’ve meant to watch for a long time. And damn it’s fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back