• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Crew [Blades in the Dark] (OPEN)

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
1625881587063.jpeg
You are a crew of daring scoundrels seeking your fortunes on the haunted streets of an industrial-fantasy city called Doskvol (aka Duskwall or “the Dusk”). There are heists, chases, occult mysteries, dangerous bargains, bloody skirmishes, and, above all, riches to be had — if you’re bold enough to seize them.

You and your fledgling crew must thrive amidst the threats of rival gangs, powerful noble families, vengeful ghosts, the Bluecoats of the city watch, and the siren song of your scoundrel’s own vices. Will you rise to power in the criminal underworld? What are you willing to do to get to the top?

Characters are created by choosing a playbook (character archetype) to play:
1625882847778.png

Together, you will create a crew that specializes in one of these enterprises:
1625882920900.png

Score reputation, riches, and power while staying ahead of the law.

Suggested Touchstones/Resources/Inspiration:
TV:
Peaky Blinders, by Steven Knight et al. The Wire, by David Simon et al. Spartacus (particularly season two) by Steven S. DeKnight et al. Narcos, by Chris Brancato, Carlo Bernard, and Doug Miro, et al.
Books: The Vlad Taltos novels (Jhereg, etc.), by Steven Brust. The stories of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, by Fritz Leiber. The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. Best Served Cold, by Joe Abercrombie.
Video Games: Thief: The Dark Project and its sequels, by Looking Glass Studios. The Dishonored series, by Arkane Studios. Bloodborne by Hidetaka Miyazaki and From Software.
Films: Crimson Peak, by Guillermo del Toro. Gangs of New York, by Martin Scorsese. Ronin, by John Frankenheimer. Heat and Thief, by Michael Mann.

Game Information:
I’m looking for four players. I’m reserving one of the slots for Teh Frixz Teh Frixz , if she chooses to play.

Blades in the Dark is a very conversational game and collaborative. Players will need to be open to helping with shared world-building and improvising details, as well as creating flashbacks on the spot.

Posting expectations will be laxed: A couple times per week or once every few days should be enough. Posts won’t need to be longer than one paragraph (3-5 sentences or so).

This will be experimental as I’ve never run or played Blades before, but I think it has the potential to be a ton of fun for everyone involved. I do have experience running/playing similar games, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

What you need to play:
The player‘s kit on the Blades in the Dark page. Your playbook will have all you need. You don’t need the book.

Last edited:
I'll throw my hat in. I like a good sneaky bit of fun. Never heard of the game but I do have some experience with dice games.

With archetypes, this sounds similar to the superhero game Masks.

I'll throw my hat in. I like a good sneaky bit of fun. Never heard of the game but I do have some experience with dice games.

With archetypes, this sounds similar to the superhero game Masks.
Yes! I believe the game started as an Apocalypse World hack, like Masks. It’s evolved a little, but still has the AW DNA and principles.

Can't say I have heard of AW. But I'm an open mind guy. Whats it like?
Only the best game ev—*ahem*

Sorry. My bias slipped out. Uh… Lots of player agency. Collaborative. You don’t roll actions. Things you do in-game trigger moves that are rolled with dice and have predefined outcomes that you choose. Failure isn’t bad, it complicates the situation and often even more fun than succeeding.

Fictional positioning is everything. Nothing happens unless you’re doing it in the fiction and—likewise—what you do in the fiction triggers rolls through the moves.

Anyway, a lot of that is in this game. It can be a challenge to adjust thinking with games like this. I had a hard time getting used to failure being fun and often desirable. I was so programmed by other games that treat success and failure as binary and success as the “win” state.

As far as tone, AW takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting after a cataclysmic event.

Only the best game ev—*ahem*

Sorry. My bias slipped out. Uh… Lots of player agency. Collaborative. You don’t roll actions. Things you do in-game trigger moves that are rolled with dice and have predefined outcomes that you choose. Failure isn’t bad, it complicates the situation and often even more fun than succeeding.

Fictional positioning is everything. Nothing happens unless you’re doing it in the fiction and—likewise—what you do in the fiction triggers rolls through the moves.

Anyway, a lot of that is in this game. It can be a challenge to adjust thinking with games like this. I had a hard time getting used to failure being fun and often desirable. I was so programmed by other games that treat success and failure as binary and success as the “win” state.

As far as tone, AW takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting after a cataclysmic event.
And I here i was thinking Exalted the best game ever. But I have an open mind.

I'm certainly interested in seeing what you got in store. Try this new thing out. Haven't ever really played in a fantasy victorian-esque style setting before. Sounds awesome.

As for failures? Well, I'm the 1 rolling champion of RPN. Not that I'm the number one rolling champion, but I'm the champion of rolling the most 1s. I've sort have had to learn how to embrace it and to make my failing fun.

I've sort have had to learn how to embrace it and to make my failing fun.
Failing is almost always more fun, especially as the resident RPN champion of attempting to harm/break my characters.

On a more serious note, I really do love these AW systems. It’s very rewarding for those looking for a more role and less roll experience to their playing, the collaborative world building is also always top notch.

Failing is almost always more fun, especially as the resident RPN champion of attempting to harm/break my characters.

On a more serious note, I really do love these AW systems. It’s very rewarding for those looking for a more role and less roll experience to their playing, the collaborative world building is also always top notch.
20210710_140119.jpg

Cheers! To destroying our characters mind, body, and soul, in the most horrific ways possible! Let's do it together! Let's do it to each other!

I'm willing to give the game a shot.

Annnnd saving that image.

Awesome! Any basic character concept floating around in your head yet? I’m leaning towards leech or whisper but still formulating things.

Annnnd saving that image.

Awesome! Any basic character concept floating around in your head yet? I’m leaning towards leech or whisper but still formulating things.
And I got more where that came from!

a3f21af17fcfa04dc24a6dffe071bbdf1c96a3620513c9aee12dc9414c1f7f5f_1.jpg.jpg

Character concepts! Not a single one. Never played the game before so no idea what to expect. I just sort of envision sherlock Holmes vs cthulu eldritch Victorian world with a grungy steampunky kind of vibe. But thats just me guessing.

The leech and whisper also grabbed my eye. As did the Spider and Hound.

I figured I'd be the new guy and be wait to be told what to do.

Want to collab?

Why would I ever say no to that~ ofc!

I’ve got a couple weak concepts to fiddle with. One is either a whisper or leech attempting to further their studies through criminal means, their studies being penetrative into the world of ghosts and demons. Sort of a deep sea diving suit thing but with ghosts. Or along those lines, or possibly a weapons manufacturer pushing the limits of ethics and technology at the same time and using them for jobs with the highest bidder.

Theres also the possibly dead/hollow/mechanical brute just being a meat shield for hire idea floating around in there too…

Awesome. Just hoping for one more.

And if you’ve watched Bone & Shadow on Netflix (or read the books), its pretty spot on. Industrial-age fantasy.

Why would I ever say no to that~ ofc!

I’ve got a couple weak concepts to fiddle with. One is either a whisper or leech attempting to further their studies through criminal means, their studies being penetrative into the world of ghosts and demons. Sort of a deep sea diving suit thing but with ghosts. Or along those lines, or possibly a weapons manufacturer pushing the limits of ethics and technology at the same time and using them for jobs with the highest bidder.

Theres also the possibly dead/hollow/mechanical brute just being a meat shield for hire idea floating around in there too…

The Teh Rex whammy!

And both those ideas sounds pretty sweet. A similar concept but for science or arcane. That sounds pretty neat. Especially if we do the Cult sort of group.

Either way they would probably want a partner in crime, to help make their dreams come true.

So I'm thinking cutter, spider. Leaning to the latter as I like to being too clever by half.

If you go leech I can say we are the spoder and the sploder.

Hahahaha I love it! I had a little revelation as well and figured, why not kinda merge the ideas together?

Parabiomechanical bruiser just cramming whatever they can find into their body to become a monstrous amalgamation paying for their addiction to adding whatever experimental item they can find into their body but committing heinous crimes and acting as thinking premium muscle instead of just a dumb brute??

working with a spooder, I think their odd partnership could go very far into benefiting them both.

Hahahaha I love it! I had a little revelation as well and figured, why not kinda merge the ideas together?

Parabiomechanical bruiser just cramming whatever they can find into their body to become a monstrous amalgamation paying for their addiction to adding whatever experimental item they can find into their body but committing heinous crimes and acting as thinking premium muscle instead of just a dumb brute??

working with a spooder, I think their odd partnership could go very far into benefiting them both.

That actually made me think of like a mechanical version of jeckle and hyde. A mad scientist that not only went too deep, but applied it all to themself. With a scientist side and a mechanical brute side. With different personalities for each. Yet the scientist becomes addicted with the freedom and wonder of the latter.

Would the brute angle then make them the cutter role or still as a leech, albeit a strong leech?

I think that sort of partnership could go well too! Imagine all the fun things a spider could do with an inventors toys?

If we wanna get funky with it, it’s probably a strong leech as the better route? Might be a Wlf question.

I'm thinking of a Lurk, Dishonored style. Focusing on the mystical and unusual things in the world. Depending on what the game allows or what it has, talismans and little trinkets to help my character do what he's best at, sneaking and stealing more magical Knick knacks. Maybe in pursuit of something bigger and stronger, or something otherworldly.

If we wanna get funky with it, it’s probably a strong leech as the better route? Might be a Wlf question.

No reason why you couldn't be a strong leech? All the better to sabotage when your body is filled with tinkertoys. Toys that you can also kill things with. Scientific and killhappy are not mutually exclusive.

I'm thinking of a Doctor/Professor that was forced into life of shadows and crime. Perhaps through a betrayal of someone he was close to, or some other impact full sort of event. So they turned their talents to the underworld, and what might have started as revenge or desperation soon turned into ambition.

I could go a few different ways with it. Depending on what we decide for the crew. As well as what sort of relationship we want to collaborate with between out characters Teh Frixz Teh Frixz

As well as if Seraph Darkfire Seraph Darkfire wants in in some collaboration, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back