The Competition

Red Shadow Claws

Six Thousand Club
It has been 3 weeks since the young samurai who were raised as guests in Iweko I's, Her Glorious Empress, palace have left for Tsuma, the seat of the traditional Topaz Championship. This year, the young samurai were to be the contestants, and it drew lots of wagers and arguments.

The lot of you have arrived here a day or three after the samurai have left. But you have heard rumors, and heard briefings from the other delegates. The day was still early, when messengers arrived, and while details are stekchy, it seems that some of the younglings have been ambushed on the way to Tsuma, and some of them have suffered injuries, and rumors abound that someone has died, but it is unclear who. it is also yet unclear whether the attacks occurred in Lion or Crane territory.

If you don't know what the Topaz Championship is, or where Tsuma is, ask in the OOC thread. I do not expect everyone to know everything, but I also do not want to add too much info that is irrelevant to the flow of the game.

Doji Kiriko

When it became clear they would not reach the court until after the young guests had left, Kiriko sent ahead a messenger carrying only a single, small piece of parchment, sealed with a perfectly shaped drop of light blue wax and stamped with her personal seal. The messenger was instructed to bring the letter only to Doji Kiri, and that it was crucial she receive it before her departure. It read simply

A white swan
parts the cherry-petalled pond 
with her motionless breast.

Now, weeks later, when word reached them that the young contestants had been waylaid, Kiriko was frightened. She had not tied all of her hopes at court to her cousin, but her own ambitions as well as the clan's now aligned with the very personal fear she felt over the possible loss of the Champion's daughter. Schooling her face and moving with the graceful and seemingly unhurried haste so ingrained in courtiers of the Doji School, she now sought out the messenger who had brought word from the road to Tsuma.

Shosuro Nikako

Three weeks was ample time to settle into the comfortable accommodations provided, even to a relatively junior Samurai such as herself.  Nikako had barely begun positioning herself, feeling and learning the climate of this court, when the news arrived though.  Some younglings ambushed but not all.  One may have perished.  The immediate question was 'where were they?'  But other questions included 'Who died' and, of course, 'which younglings were ambushed'.  Those were necessary, if not sufficient, to understand 'why did this happen?'

Nikako believed in explanations.  Actions revealed character, revealed a Samurai's honor, but discerning motives could help predict future actions.  Nikako also believed in prediction, having staked her fortune (like many of the Scorpion Clan) in knowing when and how to provoke, and when not to.  

Her first step was an immediate dispatch of a courier to her Lord, informing him of the brief details known at the time, promising a subsequent letter once she'd learned all she could here.  Instructions, as always, were invited.  In the meantime, Nikako joined one small group after another, showing her dismay at the situation and listening to what others had to say.  Fear was an excellent motivator in loosening the tongue.  Many people used speech as a way to work through their own feelings and the anxiety, concern and fear created by this situation should make people talkative where normally they'd say nothing.  All she had to do was show she cared too and listen to any stories others shared, any theories others offered.  

She was new.  She had a lot to learn about these younglings and how their fates affected hers at the Imperial Court.

Ujina Kichirou

A day too late to be able to meet the young samurai, but in time to hear endless rumors. After running those rumors through the rest of his modest delegation, Kichirou could only find out that they had been ambushed on their way to Tsuma and that one of them had died. He could only hope it was neither of the two from the Hare Clan. Once he felt there was enough information in hands, he sent a letter to his lord explaining the current situation.

For now, he was just looking at the general reactions of the people to the news. Though if someone who had anything to do with that, or got news sooner was likely to not be noticed by him. It was the least that he could do for now. Maybe there was someone reacting unexpectedly to the death of one of the young samurai.

Shiba Kimita

She had not been present in Court when the announcement was made. But word had come to her very quickly. She had been painting a scroll with the calligraphy of 'Dream'. It was supposed to be a gift to the Isawa youngster that was kept for the last 10 years. She hoped that she could send it to her before the competition, but that seemed unimportant. She tried the last stroke, but it was obvious that here nerves were affected as the stroke showed how unsteady she was.

She pulled a new sheet and opened a new brush to write out a letter to her clan. She wrote a note stating that she had gained a small room at the her inn. She had chosen the smallest room, she conveyed, to allow those with greater status their position. Coded within the message was word that the youngsters had been attacked, and rumors claimed serious injury or possible death, and that she would remain to find the truth and relay that. As she sealed the letter and called a courier to carry it to the Phoenix lands, she rolled up her calligraphy and stored it away.

Kimita emerged from the room and descended into the common area. She was certain that she would hear plans on how to accept the loss of one of their own, that some would want vengeance on the Lion or Crane members responsible for protecting the Imperial charges, and possibly a few that would want to pursue the attackers. But that would have to wait until she found new information, for now it was time to talk to those around her. She would seek the other Phoenix members, find out what their thoughts were on the matter. There was no point reacting before information was present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doji Kiriko

The messenger is a slight man, bearing the markings of a monk. You recall that while the Miya are the Heralds of the Emoress, even they sometimes make use of the Barefoot Brethren, a sect within the Fortunist Orders, who have the ability to keep on travelling without becoming tired. The slight man is standing there, calm, despite looking like he had just ran for days, his head in proper greeting to Samurai who pass him by.

Shosuro Nikako

As you move around in court, voices rise and subside. The entire assembly was thrown into chaos, especially with rumors of a possible death. Speculation is rampant as to who might have suffered such a fate, and you notice some few are starting to put wagers even on such a gruesome event. While accusations towards the Lion and Crane are certain to arise, it will only be after it is a bit more clear who was attacked, and where.

Ujina Kichirou

People are ambivalent. It is clear that even such an event, will be used by some to advance their Clans, or hinder others. The great game of politics will continue to be played, even with such high stakes as the relatives of various Daimyos. prepares more so because of that.

You do notice that one of the Imperials is acting pretty tame, too tame.

Shiba Kimita

The Imperial Palace is in something of an uproar about the news. There are members of various Clans, and of the Imperial Families moving around, but amidst the chaos, you see one figure that moves along purposefully, and unhurried. It takes you a moment or two to realize who he is. it is Isawa Sokokai, the Master of Earth. You have heard that he is in the Court, and that he was tutoring some of the students on magical matters, but you hadn't expected to meet him. And when he sees you, he nods to you in a manner more reminiscent of a nod one gives to someone of almost equal rank, than to a young me,ber of one's Clan.

Doji Kiriko

The diminutive woman bows in return, lower than she ordinarily would to a monk since this one is in the direct service of the Empress. "Greetings, honoured monk," she begins while waving he fan, ostensibly for her own benefit, but she makes sure to also direct some cool air towards the tired-looking man, "I am Doji Kiriko. My cousin was one of those travelling to Tsuma, and I beg you, please, if there is anything you might be able to tell me of the tragedy that has befallen the Empress's guests, anything you can tell me of the events that transpired would be a gift beyond words."

Shosuro Nikako 

Well, much rumor and little substance.  If there's real rice to be found under the toppings, it's best to investigate the cooks and the servers, so to speak.  

Nikako makes a point of choosing one of those comfortable passageways favored by the Cranes.  If she finds a group conversing, she'll make a point of sitting nearby and reading a small pocket-text of poems while glancing in a particular direction as if she's expecting someone.  At least until they leave, as it's unlikely they'll talk with a Scorpion having joined them.  If one group stopped here to talk, however, chances were that more groups would as well.  The Court favored select areas for conversations and habit and custom did the rest, as people usually ended up with 'favorite spots' for meeting and discussing.  All she had to do was appear to be completely absorbed in the consideration of her poetry and they might not even notice her.  And if they did, with her back to them and her nose in a book, they might very well dismiss her.  

No one noticed the scenery.  And spend enough time in one place and you inevitably became the scenery.  

If there was rice, actual substance to these rumors, surely the kind of conversations the Crane made among themselves and their allies would reveal something.  If not, there were always the less discreet Lions...

Shiba Kimita

Kimita returns a bow of respect given to a great teacher and makes her path directly, but unhurried, to him. He has shown her respect which is to be appreciated, not assumed. "Dai-sensei," she greets the Master of Earth, "I am accustomed to listening to the silence. Today, I have heard very little." She set her pace to walk next to the Great Master matching his pace. "Most people don't like the silence, they try to fill it with something. There isn't enough information to take action, so they seek to fill it with non-information."

Ujina Kichirou

Noticing a certain Imperial is acting too tame, the first thing he can do is to find out their name. A few delicate inquiries to who the rather tame Imperial is, before personally going over to greet them with as much respect as they may deserve, hoping to see if can understand their character better before making any inquiries directly towards them.

Doji Kiriko

The Monk bows deeply to you, as befits a Monk addressing a Samurai. "I was asked by Akodo Kinja (Whom you recognize as the Akodo Daimyo), to deliver this message to the Imperial Court. All I know is that some of the guests were beset by Ronin, and were injured. I hear it said that one of them was too grievously wounded, and might not make it."

Shosuro Nikako 

You do notice a group of Crane haughtily passing you by, and a young Crane Samurai coming towards them, ostensibly with some news, and one of them walks over to the Dragonfly emissary to talk. The others seem to be talking to someone from the Lion.

Shiba Kimita

The Master of Earth bows to you "Few are those who take the patience to know more than flightly rumors to base things upon." He nods towards some of the courtiers moving nearby. "I know most of the young men and women who studied here, and for the most part, consider them ready to face the dangers of real life." 

Ujina Kichirou

With but a few inquiries, you learn that this is Miya Zefa, the Master of Stables. He is rarely seen in court, and seems to spend most of his days in the stables, taking care of the animals therein. While he is a member of the Imperial Families, he seems to be an outsider, and you have never seen him in the few events you've had a chance to participate in, due to being invited as befits someone married to an imperial spouse.

"It must have been an honor to be given a personal task by such a great man!" Kiriko says, sounding suitably impressed. "Were you with the Empress's guests when the ronin attacked? And if not, do you know how the honourable Akodo Kinja-sama might have received the information he then passed on to you?"

Shiba Kimita

Kimita bows again to the Master at his compliment for her patience. Her awareness of the Void, the gap between spaces, the silence between sounds, has given her an edge over those present at court. Perhaps she might find a position here. "To where do you walk, Dai-sensei? Or is your purpose just to walk? Could I provide some company, if shall not disturb you?" She maintains his pace, not wanting to rush him, nor slow him down. Sometimes she has found absent wandering to be a form of meditation. Normally she prefers the pine forests of home than the streets of an Imperial City, but it would seem that one must take advantage from what is presented. 

Shosuro Nikako 

Amusing.  The Crane pride themselves on their social graces, as skilled as Scorpions can be in some ways when it comes to the art of misdirection and deception.  And yet, it'd never occurred to any of them that concealing that pride, that innate haughtiness, cost little and could gain much.  Or, to turn it around, displaying their lack of regard gained them little and could cost them something of value.

Oh well.  It wasn't her cost.

Nikako continues to be absorbed in her book but remains keenly interested in the Crane's conversation, with that Dragonfly emissary or especially the Lion who happens to represent the other suspect in this little mystery.  People tended to ignore those they considered beneath them and Nikako's relative youth, lack of significant status or fame were all points in her favor.  Joining them would almost assuredly stop the conversation she wanted to hear.  Her best play is to keep listening and let them go if they move on.  

She'd chosen this spot as a natural chokepoint where groups came together to talk.  Sooner or later, it'd pay off.  

Doji Kiriko

"I'm afraid I was not with them when they were attacked, but I was with Akodo Kinja's entourage when they chanced upon the scene of battle, and was immediately dispatched to deliver the news. With the Lord's entourage were a few of the guests, and while I did not have a chance to talk to them, there was a Crane samurai, and an Ox samurai."

Shosuro Nikako

It is impossible to overhear the conversations, but it does seem to be a heated discussion with the Lion, and remarkably enough, it appears as if the Crane speaking to the Dragonfly seems to be apologizing. To a Minor Clan, no less...

Shiba Kimita

Isawa Sokokai takes a deep breath, and releases it slowly. "I walk where the Earth leads me, and at her pace. I believe you might have the potential to follow a similar path with the Void." He lets things sink in a bit, before he continues. "Even one such as yourself, must sometimes feel the speed of your youth, and i hope I do not hold you back from figuring out what has transpired. But it seems it is time for me to head to Tsuma myself, after all, someone must instruct the young Shugenja arriving there on the etiquette of the Taryu-Jiai.
With that said, he stops, in the middle of a hall, and calls upon the Kami of Earth. The spell takes a while for him to complete, but then, A figure rises from the ground, a humanoid form that is 10 feet tall, and easily lifts him on it's shoulders, and starts trotting away, it's footfalls causing everyone around to become shaky on their legs.

"Do you know then, noble monk, where exactly the battle took place? On whose land was the Empress's charges accosted?"

Shiba Kimita

She had considered that perhaps she could offer a moment to assist the sense in his teaching of the youth, but realized that her position was not at his side, but in the court, learning what had transpired. If she followed his path too long, she would lose the opportunity to assist her clan. Though to be an assistant to the great master would have been a honor in its own right, she had a duty to perform.

"I wish you well on your travels, Master." The speed of her youth had less than the power of his convocation with the Kami. She would not have been able to maintain his pace. Perhaps she should be content with having made a positive influence and turn her attentions back to the immediate concern.

She paused, turning her ear to the wind. Voices could carry and perhaps those spoken loud enough could reach her. Those speaking loudly were more likely to be attempting to gather support for their actions, it would be best to find the attitude of those around her, even if their words were rash, she might sense what others around them felt about the situation. She moved back toward the court, hoping to find those looking to take action.

Shosuro Nikako

Well, that's interesting enough. Actually talking to one of the samurai in the conversation seemed unlikely though. They had good reason to be suspicious of a Scorpion, however cordial. Where they might be defensive at her approach, though, perhaps they could be lured into a more useful mood if they approached her. Now to engineer an excuse.

Having been close enough to the conversation, surely Nikako was close enough to pick out a few faces and names. So she inquired at the Court where the quarters of one or more of the Cranes in question were located. Then she made a point of visiting them. When doubtlessly met by servants at the door, she directly inquired of the servants what they knew. Using sentences like "I understand the rumors suggest one or more of the younglings met with unfortunate circumstances, is that true?" and "It seems the Crane and the Dragonfly have much to talk about of late, can you share anything on the topic?"

She is, of course, expecting the servants to meet her inquiries politely but without answers.

That's fine. Nikako leaves them with her name and thanks them for her time. For the socially savvy Crane, a Scorpion actually seeking them out for a direct conversation's likely to result in one or more of the Crane samurai following up with her to ask her for the reasons for her visit. Which would create exactly the opportunity for a useful conversation. Perhaps even a collaboration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back