• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern the city is calling (main)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Semblance

↣↣↠◇↞↢↢
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
the city is calling
IN-CHARACTER ROLEPLAY

Status: Open & Accepting Characters (Do not start posting in this thread yet!)
GM: Semblance
Genres: Realistic/Modern, Slice of Life, Drama, Romance

Links: Main | OOC | CS

Scroll to read more ↓

INTRODUCTION

Ten years ago, a tight-knit group of six friends graduated from Columbia University's Class of 2012 in New York City. Although they tried their best to keep in touch, life eventually got to them and they followed their own separate paths after graduation. Some found love and lived happily ever after while others got heartbroken or never settled down. Some moved abroad and traveled around while others moved back to their hometowns. Some found a meaningful career path while others are stuck in an office cubicle they hate.

For one reason or another, all six have found themselves back in Manhattan, NYC after ten years (year 2022.) A couple of them stayed in the Big Apple after graduation while the rest are returning to the old stomping grounds after a long hiatus. The friend group has finally been reunited after a decade and they are excited to be back in NYC together. They soon realize that the past ten years have done a number on them and they are not their same naïve, hopeful selves that just graduated college, ready to take on the world. Now in their early 30's, they will attempt to carve out a new dynamic within the group and navigate working life in the sleepless city, experiencing unexpected betrayals and disappointment along the way.

CHARACTERS

Couple A (female)- She has been dating Couple B since college and they got married in 2019. They had a small wedding with only their families. Before she started dating Couple B, Couple A had been hooking up with the Workaholic on and off. A year after Couple A got married, she coincidentally bumped into the Workaholic on a work trip and began an affair. Things are sure to get sticky as Couple A and B move back to NYC, where the Workaholic lives.
-- RPed by Semblance

Couple B (male)- He has been dating Couple A since college and they got married in 2019. They had a small wedding with only their families. Couple B has no idea about Couple A's affair with the Workaholic.

The Workaholic- Ambitious, hardworking, and career-driven, the Workaholic has always known what they wanted to do with their life and stayed in NYC after graduation to pursue their dream job. As they became consumed with their work, they began to crave companionship and intimacy. This is when the Workaholic bumped into Couple A, the old flame, and started an affair.

The Traveler- After graduating, this person moved abroad and began traveling the world, spending a couple years in each city. After ten years, the Traveler has finally decided to return to the USA and move back to NYC.

The Supporter- After this person's family member became terminally ill, the Supporter moved back to their small hometown to support their family. When their family member finally passed away after a long hard-fought battle, the Supporter decided they needed a change in their life and moved back to NYC.

The Hopeless Romantic- This person has been seeking "the one" ever since they were little and saw their parents still hopelessly in love with each other after many years. After many failed dates and casual flings, they are starting to lose hope. In a city of 8 million people, NYC can certainly feel lonely.

NOTE FROM THE GM

Welcome to my RP everyone! My name is Semblance but you can call me Sem or whatever your heart desires. I know most GM's like giving a list of rules but I think they're pretty self-explanatory. All RPN rules apply. Be nice and use common sense. I expect that we will all be kind and cooperative adults who just want to have fun writing together because I certainly do.

Character selection- This will NOT be first come first serve. I will be choosing which character sheets are the most suited for each role and the overall roleplay after the deadline (TBD.) I will make the decision based on how interesting your character is and what they bring to the group. Make sure you leave room for lots of growth! The descriptions for each role are meant to be loose and vague. You have full creative freedom in what type of character you want to make outside of the description (i.e. backstory, occupation, relationship status, personality, etc.) In fact, if you have a role in mind that is outside the posted roles or you have a strong preference for Couple A, please let me know, as I am open to changes!

Writing Level- This RP is moderate/advanced when it comes to post content and length. No one-liner/one-paragraph posts but a novel is not required either. Use your best judgement for how long you think your post should be (generally 2-5 detailed paragraphs with proper grammar/spelling is adequate.)

Activity- Ideally, I would like each person to write about 2 posts per week, but I know that everyone is busy with their own lives so this is not a strict rule. My big thing is communication. If something comes up in real life, please let us all know!

Story- Since this is a Slice of Life RP, it will be character-driven so it will be up to us as a group to determine where the story goes. I mainly want to focus on character growth and relationships. I welcome any and all ideas- I want this to be a collaborative group effort with dynamic characters.

Setting- This RP takes place in Manhattan, NYC in 2022. In this world, the COVID-19 pandemic never occurred.

Inspiration- This RP is directly inspired by the TV show, Friends from College, on Netflix. A few of the roles are based off of characters in the show.

I haven't decided if I want to create a Discord for OOC communication yet. It really depends on what the group prefers after I've officially selected all the characters, but I would like to keep IC posts on the RPN website. Before characters are chosen, we can use the OOC thread on RPN for discussion. I'm still working on the IC, OOC, and CS threads, so I'll link those once this gains enough traction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back