• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Simply Cliche

Walking in Circles

The Chimera Effect

"There are those in this world who would seek to play God. Do not be tempted by their honeyed words, for theirs is a fool's game and the very arrogance behind their desires will bring naught but downfall and ruin.
Gods were never meant to be mortal."

The PremiseYou can find this RP where historic fiction and dark fantasy collide. Set in a Neo-Victorian London, The Chimera Effect focuses on Man's desire to bend nature to his will in a world where alchemy is more than a mere speculation. Indeed, it is the alchemists' hunt for eternal youth and health that spurs the plot and gives the RP its name - for the "chimera" of this story are no mythological beasts. Instead they are man-made monsters, little more than grotesque mutilations of known creatures melded together into beings altogether unrecognizable. They have no reason, no rationale, and their numbers continue to grow despite England's ban on their creation. For this reason rumors tell of underground laboratories and live experimentation; missing persons cases continue to multiply; and unrest permeates the streets. London is no longer safe, and actions must be taken to dispel the source of the malady. So they are. The question, however, is whether they will be enough.

The LoreAlchemists: Those who practice alchemy. Alchemists are driven by studies on the transmutation of metals and eternal life. They have been instrumental in the modernization and development of Neo London, though recent incidents have led many to view them in a negative light.

Chimera: Hybrid beasts created by alchemists in their hunt for finding a means of obtaining eternal life. They were originally heralded as miracles; however, recent attacks on Neo London's populace have labeled them a danger.

Neo London: The setting of the story (also referred to as "London"). Neo London is a city thriving thanks to the innovation of steam power and alchemy. Rudimentary trains, boats, and automobiles exist due to the invention of steam engines though electricity is still in its infancy. Most homes and streets lights are manually lit by oil or gas and the telephone has yet to be implemented on a wide enough scale for practical use.

The Cloak: A specialized task force responsible for dispatching rogue chimera and hunting down the alchemists responsible for creating them.

The CharactersFor now characters will be limited to members of The Cloak. This is for organizational purposes; however, should enough interest abound, I will allow chimera creating alchemists to be made. (Or you can try to convince me to let you be one off the bat.)

I will post a CS if this RP idea garners attention.

The Rules1. Ask questions. The Premise for this RP was purposefully left vague in some areas because 1) I don't like showing all my cards, and 2) this is an interest check.
2. Players can create two characters maximum.
3. All RPN rules apply.
4. Posts should be at least two paragraphs minimum unless your character is in the middle of a dialogue with another (in this case, one paragraph minimum is required) and you have limited "fluff" to add.
5. Please post at least once a week.

How does alchemy work in this RP?

Alchemy in this RP if a form of science. Unlike some popular series with alchemy elements - I'm looking at you, FMA - alchemy in this universe does not equal magic. Transmutation is possible given the use of proper compounds and people have figured out how to "create" life, but you won't see people summoning fire from alchemist circles in the middle of the street. It can, however, be used to create tonics and has been repurposed for military purposes. The law of Equivalent Exchange pertains to all alchemy dealings - you cannot create something from nothing - and chimera, in particular, are quite costly to create. People have gone missing for a reason (a little food for thought).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back