• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Calling-Wood Forest [OOC Thread]

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Hi!!

• K so like what do we know about this magic Stone? Like what are general legends/properties of it that are commonly told?
  • These other Relics that may be found, are they present/used/displayed beyond the Calling Woods? Which nations have one?
  • Would any of us know a person that has made it out of the Calling Woods? Or any info they might have told prospective Stone/Relic hunters?
  • Why is sooooo much needed for CS backstory for a 'dungeon crawler' RP? Legit question. Just wanna see if there's something more involving backstories?

Hi!!

• K so like what do we know about this magic Stone? Like what are general legends/properties of it that are commonly told?
  • These other Relics that may be found, are they present/used/displayed beyond the Calling Woods? Which nations have one?
  • Would any of us know a person that has made it out of the Calling Woods? Or any info they might have told prospective Stone/Relic hunters?
  • Why is sooooo much needed for CS backstory for a 'dungeon crawler' RP? Legit question. Just wanna see if there's something more involving backstories?

- The seer stone is not very understood, but it is known well enough by many people that one appearing near you essentially is treated much like a curse. It is generally understood to be a simple navigation device that guides one towards The Calling-Wood.

- Many of the Relics that get taken from the Calling Wood are greedily held by people who escape and are used for repeat visits. Escaping does not grant freedom and returning to the Calling Wood with a relic does increase chance of survival. Although, it is safe to assume that relics have slipped out into the grasp of various nations, but it is not widespread enough to be a confirmed thing.

- Assuming all of the characters come from afar and did not spend time lingering around the Calling Wood it is safe to say no, not yet. But it's not hard to find people around it who have escaped taking a short rest between trips in. Notably, these people are somewhat traumatized, or distant, so many do not want to share what they encountered.

- There's a lot of reasons for this actually. First and foremost, it lets me determine who is serious and who is not serious about participating in this roleplay. It also allows me to consider how the Calling Wood might use a person's own memories and experiences against them. For example, a person who experienced trauma from raiders attacking their village might be forced to experience it all over again by the Calling Wood. It also helps characterize everyone - I really want the characters to be distinct and interact with one another in solid, believable manners.

One more thing, I assume that the FC required is like fantasy-esque, non-realistic pictures? Anime-like?

One more thing, I assume that the FC required is like fantasy-esque, non-realistic pictures? Anime-like?
Yes, this is semi-correct.

"5.) No real-life face claims! Realistic anime art, or realistic traditional art only."

When I say realistic, I mean grounded in reality and not over the top.

I am so sorry why do I keep missing things ;-; In any case, I'm starting on a write up for an idea and will send you in the DMs in a short while!

UnhappyUnion UnhappyUnion

In the CS, where it says Nation of Origin are we to put in either the Northlands, Eastlands, or Midlands? Or a nation within those lands?

Also, I’m a bit confused on what constitutes the Warring Kingdoms. I’m thinking of making my character from there, but I don’t really know what it is haha.

UnhappyUnion UnhappyUnion

In the CS, where it says Nation of Origin are we to put in either the Northlands, Eastlands, or Midlands? Or a nation within those lands?

Also, I’m a bit confused on what constitutes the Warring Kingdoms. I’m thinking of making my character from there, but I don’t really know what it is haha.

The northland, eastland, midland are the general expansive areas. So, if you were going for an original self-made nation/location then you would specify which of the three regions it is in, then narrow it down.

So for example The Theocracy of Truth is in the Northlands. The Warring Kingdoms are too.

You could make another power in the Northlands if you would like, considering I kept the world intentionally somewhat vague in layout as to allow custom additions.

The Warring Kingdoms is...

"The Warring Kingdoms describes a region that formerly were holdings of The Theocracy of Truth that have found independence after the decline of The Theocracy. With their independence came several "kingdoms" with their own rulers, some still worshiping the same Light that the Theocracy enforced worship of, with others falling into the worship of pagan religions, and some have even attempted to established bulwarks of logic who hail no higher power and worship reason alone. Despite 'kingdoms' being included in the moniker to describe the region, many of the powers are akin to city-states, or a collection of smaller powers ruled over by a warlord."

It is essentially a region that is many smaller kingdoms fighting for power. It is seen as one entire whole due to the commonalities many of the Warring Kingdoms share such as feudal, centralized government, limited to no equality, and limited to no advancement.

So, you can describe one of the smaller kingdoms that make up the mass of the Warring Kingdoms if you wanted to make a character from that location. I am working on making 5 or 6 of my own, but there can be countless others.

Hey! Just a general update! I am really loving the two characters that have already been made and will give detailed remarks and feedback to Owl Knight Owl Knight and AI10100 AI10100 who have really nailed the theme I'm going for. These are two great ideas that should be referenced if you are having trouble forming your own.

I am working really hard on finishing up the lore to have all the regions at-least described with a number of nations along with a bit more details about the Calling-Wood and maybe a few others things!

I added three new entries under "Warring Kingdoms" along with a little blurb about their are various other kingdoms and powers that fill out the mess.

Here is a brief little description, but I encourage everyone to take a look at the entire entries under lore:

Wesille: The largest kingdom that sees itself using a connection with The Bulwark of Truth to produce muskets and advanced weapons to try and defend its territory against countless feuds and attackers. A truly horrible place to live..

Ravenkroft: Allies and servants of the Ironmaw Tribe of northmen. Through years of servitude, acting as scouts for the northmen, they have produced many spies and assassins who can destabilize entire kingdoms. Oh, they also really love fish. And... they are huge hypocrites, seeing that many of the northmen who protect them are women, but their own women are not allowed to do much.

Skyloft: The greatest cavalry in the Northlands, and perhaps the entire world. These people see themselves as distant friends of The Theocracy of Truth that are separated on the opposite sides of the Northlands. They love the Sisterhood of Light and treat them like royalty when they arrive in Skyloft to rest before returning from their heretic hunting and charity spreading.

I have my CS written up to the background. How important is it to name her hometown?

I have my CS written up to the background. How important is it to name her hometown?

I'd say it's decently important. Any amount of detail is very welcome because it gives me more chances to draw from backstories when the chance arises.

- The seer stone is not very understood, but it is known well enough by many people that one appearing near you essentially is treated much like a curse. It is generally understood to be a simple navigation device that guides one towards The Calling-Wood.

- Many of the Relics that get taken from the Calling Wood are greedily held by people who escape and are used for repeat visits. Escaping does not grant freedom and returning to the Calling Wood with a relic does increase chance of survival. Although, it is safe to assume that relics have slipped out into the grasp of various nations, but it is not widespread enough to be a confirmed thing.

- Assuming all of the characters come from afar and did not spend time lingering around the Calling Wood it is safe to say no, not yet. But it's not hard to find people around it who have escaped taking a short rest between trips in. Notably, these people are somewhat traumatized, or distant, so many do not want to share what they encountered.

- There's a lot of reasons for this actually. First and foremost, it lets me determine who is serious and who is not serious about participating in this roleplay. It also allows me to consider how the Calling Wood might use a person's own memories and experiences against them. For example, a person who experienced trauma from raiders attacking their village might be forced to experience it all over again by the Calling Wood. It also helps characterize everyone - I really want the characters to be distinct and interact with one another in solid, believable manners.
Thx for answers but Imma withdraw interest.

Good luck with RP everyone!!

Hm. I kind of randomly picked the name of Kalberg for Shaya's hometown. But now that I'm looking at it again I kind of keep wanting to go Kalberg, Germany for some reason. Is that a good thing to instinctively feel like I should do in a Fantasy setting? Any way, feel free to let me know if their is any problems with her CS. I was trying for a 'country-side town herbalist that found the town too small for her curiosity but didn't know it' feel for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back