• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Call of the Kraken

zippy

placeholder
the-kraken-legend-or-beast-1050x554.jpg

They say that you can hear the Kraken calling from the depths each morning at 3 am. A smart sailor should steer clear of the wails, and avoid the Red Sea. At least, if they wanted to live to see another day. Legend has it that the monster has dragged many to their untimely, watery graves. No one in their right minds would ever dream of encountering such a horrid beast.

But you're not in your right mind are you?

Welcome to Captain Briggsby's Crew! Home to the most misfit pirates in all the land. Whether you can't even swing your cutlass, your old crew forced you to walk the plank, or you've killed a man (or several) is of no concern here. All are welcome upon Briggsby's ship -- The Silent Sun. Of course, pillaging islands and drinking endless amounts of grog is great fun, but lately the crew has its eyes set on a greater goal. To slay the Kraken would bring infamy and riches to everyone involved. And what wouldn't a pirate do for some gold?

`````

Keeping it short and sweet this time. The RP revolves around a crew seeking to find and hopefully kill the Kraken. It takes place in a fantasy land that includes mermaids, living skeleton crews, and other fantastical elements. However, all characters will be human with no enhancements or magic. If I get enough interest I'll put up OOC, Character, and Lore pages.

Though there is an overarching quest, it will not be a straight path to the conclusion of the story. I plan to include many shenanigans, and this RP will be more on the lighthearted, whimsical side than serious and brooding.

Casual to detailed RPers are welcome, with a minimum of one paragraph (150 words) per post. There is room for a large cast and you are allowed to play as many characters as you can handle. If there are any additional questions, feel free to put them down below!

aaaah!
great concept , zip zips !

for the roleplay:
- do you have any specific roles in the crew that you're looking for? and do you have any specific number / limited slots per role on the crew?
- ooh, since it's fantasy and you'll put up the lore later depending on interest, will the "tales" and "legends" of the seven seas spoken / talked about in this world have 'lores' from other books , tvs, history, or would it just be strictly lores and tales you've made specifically?
- although our characters are human, since it's fantasy, will "magic" / "unforeseen forces" be a thing in terms of "this item contains magic from so and so" or "legend has it" type of vibe ?
- how "fantasy" is this world? [ wow what a great question cruci! ] my mind keeps thinking pirates of the Caribbean to Sinbad to Neverland pirates pffft.

( so sorry for the many questions and im so sorry if my questions are random at best adafjgdhkajd )

for the technicalities:
- will you have an ooc on discord or on-site?
- would you like real faceclaim or digital/art/realistic art fcs?

random questions:
- what was your inspiration for the rp? hehehe

Last edited:
- do you have any specific roles in the crew that you're looking for? and do you have any specific number / limited slots per role on the crew?
This is something I should've put in the first post! Roles that are definitely needed are:

Quartermaster (1) - The second-highest ranking member on a pirate ship. Takes over if the captain is indisposed for any reason
Navigators - Experts at reading maps, compasses, and generally knowing where to go
Gunners - People that operate the cannons
Surgeons (1-2) - Obviously pirates get injured... a lot. A surgeon would be useful, whether or not they could be considered legitimate is another story.
Cooks - Someone's gotta cook the food! They also are responsible for fishing duty

Of course, there may be other roles that people want to bring to the table but these are the essentials.

ooh, since it's fantasy and you'll put up the lore later depending on interest, will the "tales" and "legends" of the seven seas spoken / talked about in this world have 'lores' from other books , tvs, history, or would it just be strictly lores and tales you've made specifically?

Tall tales and legends will draw influence from all media but reimagined by yours truly. There may be some I lift directly but I plan on using this as a sort of creative writing exercise.

although our characters are human, since it's fantasy, will "magic" / "unforeseen forces" be a thing in terms of "this item contains magic from so and so" or "legend has it" type of vibe ?

Yes, definitely! From cursed storms to enchanted cutlasses', magic will play a large part in the setting and mood of the RP.

how "fantasy" is this world? [ wow what a great question cruci! ] my mind keeps thinking pirates of the Caribbean to Sinbad to Neverland pirates pffft.

If I had to choose from those, I'd say it's about on the level of Pirates of the Caribbean.

will you have an ooc on discord or on-site?

OOC will take place on-site to make it as accessible as possible for everyone.

- would you like real faceclaim or digital/art/realistic art fcs?

For faceclaims to best fit the setting I have in mind, I'm requesting realistic art for face claims. Of course "realistic" can be somewhat vague so the hard limits are no real people and no extremely cartoonish images.

avatars-000475027515-1tp5gg-t500x500.jpg

what was your inspiration for the rp? hehehe

this game. nuff said

zippy zippy , thank you so so much for answering my questions !
i have just a little more as i'm searching for ideas and images on pinterest!

As far as the crew goes, since all "outcast" seem to be welcome aboard The Silent Sun, is there any "no-go" ?
- For example, if there was a merchant ship that the crew decided to overthrow and takeover, would they take prisoners or take-in those who want to join the crew?
[ I was thinking of creating a sort of merchant that just so happens to either have had her treasures / goods stolen by them and in the end, crossed paths with The Silent Sun? Eventually would want to "tag along" onto the journey for the treasure? So not technically a pirate but part of the crew]
- So do they have to be pirates or can they be of any occupation and somehow stumbled their way into the crew etc.etc.?

- How long has The Silent Sun been around and are they always recruiting new people? Is there any specific tradition and/or requirements to be welcomed? How strict is the Captain?
- Is there anything The Silent Sun is specifically known for aside from being misfits? Or is searching for this gold another way to reach fame / show that they have what it takes, etc.?

In this world, is there a specific "attire" / "setting" in regards to clothing, technological advancement, and etc.?

1bb39a9a1b2a2c78d07a84130c245e0e.jpg

This seems really fun! I've always had a little soft spot for pirate stories. Count me in! I'll play 1 or 2 characters.

deer deer
The Silent Sun has been around for around 5 years so they're fairly new. Captain Briggsby is a grumpy old man. When it comes to joining, he allows anyone if they prove their worth. I'll brainstorm some initiation traditions and get back to you when I come up with something I'm happy with. When it comes to rules he's a traditionalist and quite strict. Will get very angry if disrespected but not to the point of kicking them out of the crew unless it's particularly atrocious behavior. So short answer: yes a merchant would be able to join and even a prisoner would be allowed to join if they pass the test that I've yet to come up with.

The Crew is fairly unknown to most, so yes this quest is their way to prove their worth to the world.

Clothing and tech-wise think the golden age of piracy (late 1600s early 1700s). Weapons are fairly simple, cannons, pistols, "shotguns" (widemouthed pistols, not modern), etc. Clothing like in your picture would fit in just fine.

Seabourne Seabourne

Name checks out.. I'd be happy to have you!

eyyliner eyyliner

Likely Tuesday or Wednesday! I have a very very busy weekend so that will be the soonest I’m able to. However, if you want feedback on your character beforehand, my DMs are always open. Maybe will open up the OOC tonight so people who are interested can bounce ideas off of one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back