• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Bronze Locket

Hugh's head was starting to ache, now that the days adventures were to an end, his body began to relax, thus releasing what pain he could hide away in distraction. her fingers found the offending lump and he hissed lightly through his teeth. Truly in the moment of the fall it had not felt like such a harsh hit. She was so close to him now, and the urge to throw his arm around her and rest easy with her at his side was the number one thought in his head. Then her fingers were over his lips and his warm breath blew between her fingers. Adelaide touched the scar and asked him of its origin. His eyes darkened a little at the memory, His hand caught hers and he squeezed it lightly before getting up. He didn't answer her right away, instead he moved to the door and opened it. Hugh called out to Joseph and asked him to return with a fist aid kit.

Hugh closed the door again and stepped towards Tatiana and the fire, he knelt and brushed his hand over the dogs damp fur. Then he added another log to the fire and stoked the flames with an iron poker.

"When I was enlisted I got sent right away to the French borders. The nights were cold and the battles even colder. My brothers and I were eager to help and so when a team was asked to assemble to retake a country road with a strategic barn we all immediately signed up. It was to be a night operation, catch them by surprise. The French bastards had gotten wind of our plan and had aimed a number of cannons our way. We never had a chance..." Hugh focused on petting Tatiana as he told his tale. With the years the pain had become more bearable.

"My brother John took a cannonball to the chest. He died immediately I'm told. I was standing close to him and some of the shrapnel hit me." Hugh pointed to his lip and gestured to a few places on his ribs and back. "Duncan was able to assist me, and he dragged me to safety and cared for my wounds until it was safe for us to return to camp. We lost ten men to the French that night. Five returned. I do not remember much of it though. All I remember is a loud bang." At the end of his story there came a knock at the door and Hugh rose to answer it. He took the offered first aid kit and closed the door again.

Hugh walked over to Adelaide and set the kit on the table in front of her before taking his spot next to her. His hand moved to grab her's, seeking comfort from the past.

"It is a sad tale, and I miss John dearly. But I am grateful for the time in the regiment. After I a month or so of healing I returned to the front and Duncan and I took many battle's in Johns name." His fingers moved over her palm tracing the lines he saw there. "I am also grateful for the time I have now. Time to focus on gentler exploits..." He murmured to her softly.

Adelaide listen to his story with rapt attention, and felt her heart ache. She watched him move about the room and settle by her again, and saw the old pain and sadness flood his eyes. His warm, rough hand encased her own, and when he finished, she took it in both of hers. Raising their hands to her chest, she peered into his face, squeezing his hand gently.

"Hugh....forgive me, I did not mean to make you recall such things. I am so sorry for all you've suffered." Adelaide sighed and continued "But I have an extra prayer to say tonight. I must thank those you fought with for allowing you to return here. So we could meet." After anther moment, she released his hand. Spreading the blanket across his lap, she refilled his teacup as she stood. "Let me look at that wound, now." She took the first aide kit with her and balanced it on the back of the couch as she came round.

Gently, Adelaide sifted through Hugh's long, soft hair with her lithe fingers, searching for the bump again. Finding it, one hand smoothed the hair back so she could see properly. It was a good sized lump--with scabbing blood on it, too. Taking a cotton swab and dabbing antiseptic onto it, she said "Hugh, this is going to sting a little." She pressed the swab to the wound as gently as she could, though he groaned at the contact. Once it was clean, she spread salve over it, and bandaged it lightly. Hugh's hair was long enough that once she was finished, Adelaide could rearrange it to hide the wound completely. "There we are," She said "All finished. That wasn't so bad now, was it?" Placing her hands on his shoulders, Adelaide leaned forward and kissed the lump. "I know it's a little silly," She murmured into his hair "But if it helps..."

Adelaide returned to her place on the couch, taking a drink of her tea. Placing the little cup back on it's saucer, she moved a little closer. Cupping the side of Hugh's face with her hand, she ran her thumb over his cheek. Blushing slightly at her own bold actions, Adelaide gave him a small smile. "I must thank you, Hugh. I have never exprienced such kindness as you have given me. I hope you can allow me to repay it."

"I would not have told you if I didn't feel at ease with you Adelaide. There is no need for apology." He was grateful for her soothing words and actions. He was tucked into the blanket and held onto his newly refilled cup of tea. He nodded when Adelaide asked to look at the wound and closed his eyes as she attended to him. He did his best to ignore the pain and instead focused on her fingers in his hair and the subtle scent of rain coming from her. He couldn't help the small noise from his lips as she pressed the cleaning solution to him. But it was over quickly and she continued her care. When she was done she pressed a kiss to his head, making him smile. He could not remember the last time he had been cared for so lovingly.

"Thank you." He said to her as she sat down. They both drank from their tea, Hugh noticed Adelaide shift closer to him and so he placed down his own cup. Then her hands were on him and her face was all he could see. Those beautiful green eyes, her hair, golden and shiny piled on top her head but small curls peeked out framing her face. She thanked him for his kindness and he realized that he wanted to kiss her again. His body shifted and angled closer to her's, he didn't think of anything else, only of her.

"I think it I who must be thanking you." His voice came out in a whisper, gruff with desire for her. "These past hours with you have been a dream."

Adelaide smiled, absorbed in his eyes. She watched them change from calm and shining to something different. She recognized it, from the glade, just before they kissed. Her blush deepend, but she could not bring herself to look away. Her smile widened slightly, somewhere between nervous and elated. "I quite agree." She hummed softly. "I can't remember the last time I've felt so free."

The passion in Hugh's eyes drew Adelaide closer, her own flicking back and forth from his face to his lips. His tousled hair shined in the warm fire light, his face thrown half into shadow as the light danced across it. Hugh looked dazzling, she felt her breath catch in her throat. Swallowing thickly, she whispered back. "H-Hugh..." His name spilled from her lips, and a little thrill ran through her as they continued to look into one another's eyes. Her thumb still dragged across his cheek, but slowly, his stubble rough under her fingers.

"Would you kiss me once more? Please?"

Hugh did not need more encouragement, his lips took hers and he stayed there for a long while. There was teeth and tongue and small sounds of pleasure from him as they sat next to the fire. They seemed to curl around one another and the sofa held them comfortably. When it came time to come up for air Hugh found his arms are around her and somehow in the moment he had moved her onto his lap. He liked her being there, his arms were around her and he adjusted them a bit so they sat more comfortably. His head leaned against the back of the couch and he looked up at her sleepily.

"It seems days with you are full of adventure. I find myself looking very much to tomorrow."He told her. There was a noise from outside then and Hugh could hear the front door open and Duncan loudly greet Joseph.
"Good evening Joseph!" Duncan boomed out jovially. From the tone of his voice it was clear that Duncan had spent a fine few hours at the pub.

Hastily Hugh moved Adelaide off his lap and he gave her a sheepish grin as the both attempted to right themselves to a more proper demeanor. He winked and lifted his finger to his lips indicating that he would be silent about what had just transpired. He was taking a sip of his colder tea when Duncan barged into the room making Hugh jump a little.

"There he is! My baby brother." Duncan looked adoringly at Hugh and then suddenly realized that Adelaide was also in the room. His eyes lit up and leaving all manners aside he rushed over to her and knelt in front of her clasping both her hands in his. "And the Miss. Lovelocke. What a pleasure to see you... I do hope you know how beautiful you are. Even my brother the king of keeping emotions inside can't seem to help but reacting to you." He rambled on at her.

Their second kiss was an eternity and a whirlwind all at once. Hugh kissed Adelaide passionately, sweeping her onto his lap and into his arms. She felt herself melt into the embrace, joy tingling through her from the crown of her head down to the tips of her toes. The kiss deepened naturally, and Adelaide couldn't help the soft moans that escaped her lips at the contact. She never wanted the moment to end. But their lungs begged for air, and the pair had to oblige, panting gently. Her arms were wound around his neck and Adelaide submerged her fingers in his soft hair again, careful to avoid the bump.

His easy smile and sweet words made her blush and giggle, but before she could respond, Duncan's deep voice boomed through the manor. Suddenly, she was back on the couch, away from the warmth of Hugh's body. They both quickly arranged themselves properly, and just in time, as the elder brother burst into the study jovially. He spotted her after a fond greeting, and was soon nearly atop her. His large hands clasped hers, and the heady scent of alcohol wafted from him. He declared her beauty, and Adelaide reddened.

"W-why Mr. Montgomery, how very forward of you..." She gave him a nervous smile, looking to Hugh out of the corner of her eye for assistance. "I do hope you had a pleasant day getting acquainted with the town." Tatiana had woken at the bang of the front door, and upon seeing Duncan so close to her master, pasted her ears back to her head, a soft growl rumbling from her throat.

Hugh was a bit taken aback at the the sight of his brother. One moment things had been so peaceful and romantic and now here was Duncan with the energy of a toddler. Adelaide seemed to plead for help from his brothers affections and so Hugh stood and with a single hand he gripped the back of Duncan's coat. With a single motion he had Duncan back on his feet and had effectively backed him a few steps away.

"Welcome back Duncan. I see you spent some time at the Twisted Rose." Hugh said.
"Of course dear brother, and dear Miss. Lovelocke, I will have you know that I had the most wonderful of times. Town while small, certainly seems to have its nuances. Very welcoming people. I must say." Duncan waved his hand and the motion seemed to catch his body off guard, he stumbled forward and Hugh caught him. Duncan had clearly taken the carriage into town as he was relatively dry. Behind them came the low grumble of Tatiana, Hugh realized that his brother's energy was far too volatile for the dog. Quickly he ushered his brother back out into the hall and peeked his head back inside to look apologetically at Adelaide. He hated that Duncan had ruined the moment, as he certainly had not been finished kissing her.

"I do believe dinner will be ready soon, let me get my brother sorted at the table and once Tatiana is calmed you can join us if you wish. Terribly sorry about this." Hugh winced as he heard Duncan break out into an old marching tune at the top of his lungs. Hugh closed the door behind him and grabbed his brother by the back of the neck and forcefully began to march him towards the dinner room. Duncan took it all in stride and just continued to sing until they entered the room. There was a large table that spanned the length of the room with no less than twenty chairs, on the other end of the room the cook was positioning the last of the meal she had prepared.

Duncan caught sight of the food and gasped adoringly at the beautifully presented cooked bird surrounded by potatoes and greenery. It took some convincing but finally Duncan was seated and water was being pressed into his hand. Hugh sighed in exasperation and hoped that Adelaide was alright despite Duncan's actions.

Adelaide had to laugh as Duncan was unceremoniously hauled from the room by Hugh like an errant kitten. Once she had calmed herself from the ordeal, Adelaide had to sit back on the couch and giggle madly, covering her reddening face with her hands. Who knew a kiss could be so intoxicating? Who knew a man could be so gentle and romantic? Adelaide stood and knelt by Tatiana next to the fire. She ran her fingers through the dog's soft fur, speaking gently until Tatiana settled again.

She stood, brushing off her skirts and checking her hair once more in the study's mirror, adjusting her choker and heading off to the dining room. The room was lit warmly with candles and the table laden with delicious looking food. She took her seat; across from Duncan and beside Hugh, who sat at the table's head. She smiled at them both. "Thank you so much for letting me dine with you this evening, I know it was unexpected." Tatiana trotted into the room and slipped under the table, curling around Adelaide's feet protectively.

Hugh looked rather like a parent dealing with an over-exuberant child; faintly annoyed but also endeared. Duncan seemed to have even more energy than usual, though Adelaide wondered how that was possible. "Tell me, Duncan, hear anything interesting at The Twisted Rose? The men there are worse for gossip than their wives!" She laughed lightly, taking a sip of the wine served to her. She let her eyes slide from the elder brother back to the younger, offering Hugh a subtle smile as she placed her chin in her palm.

"Thank you, for dealing with my older brother." Hugh said dryly as Adelaide sat down. He went to reach his foot to touch hers but found Tatiana had beaten him to it. His mouth crooked up and turned his attention to Duncan. Duncan was currently well into a buttered bun and was savoring every bite. He made loud noises of happiness and leaned back ungentlemanly in his chair. Adelaide asked him of the talk in the local pub and before he answered Duncan throat gurgled and the next moment a loud belch filled the room. Hugh's face dropped into his hand and his shoulders shook with the effort it took not to laugh.

"There was plenty of talk today Miss. Lovelocke!" Duncan told her loudly. "I will admit I added to some of that talk, but the latest is that Mrs. Kingston the wife of our general store has grown round with child. There will be a sixth edition to that family it seems. However the talk is it not the babe of Mr. Kingston, rather it seems our neighbor to the south of us has been seen in quite close proximity with the dear lady." Duncan gestured in a southerly direction with the hand that held his water glass and some of the liquid sloshed over the side. He hiccuped a little and took a big swig before wiping his hand over his mouth and continuing with the latest news.

"I will admit that this talk rather out shone my news of you two love birds but I had a few interested parties." Duncan shrugged and began to eat again, not noticing that Hugh's head had shot up and he was glaring furiously at him.
"You spoke of myself and Miss. Lovelock, Duncan?" The tone he took with his brother was calm with fury hinted at its edges.
"Well of course." Duncan said unperturbed.
"I believe I had asked you to keep quiet." Hugh reminded him, hoping desperately that Duncan had lied about the interested folks at the Twisted Rose. His eyes shot to Adelaide the fury shifting to worry.

Adelaide couldn't help but giggle at Duncan's behavior, he was unsteady and rather brutish in his mannerisms, but she found him still the happy fellow he had been while sober. She could see Hugh struggle not to laugh himself, and felt at ease. She listened to the gossip he'd brought back with him, eating a few bites of her meal in between. When he spoke of announcing her affairs with Hugh, Adelaide nearly choked.

She felt herself pale, and she stood abruptly, her hand flying to her necklace again. Adelaide felt tears come to her eyes, and she spoke shakily. "Oh, Mr. M-Montgomery... that was terribly foolish of you." She wiped away tears as they began to spill from her eyes. "Being neighbors with me was already a threat to your reputations... Oh, I am so so sorry.. you've only just arrived and I've ruined everything." Her chest ached with the force of a sob, and Adelaide excused herself hurriedly from the room. Tatiana made to follow, but stopped and looked back expectantly at Hugh before continuing out the door.

Adelaide found herself on the floor of the study, next to the slowly dying fire. She could feel herself going into a panic, her tears falling hot and fast and the sobs ripping from her chest with force. She covered her mouth with her hands to stifle the noise, curling into herself on the blanket into a tight ball. Such a wonderful day, such a dream... but she should have known better. Once Hugh discovered all that had happened in her youth he would certainly turn his back on her. And she couldn't blame him.

Suddenly there was a familiar weight around her and Adelaide knew that Tatiana had curled her own body around her master's like a shield. The dog's weight was a comforting one, old and steady as the heartbeat within. The heavy weight inside her own heaving chest felt like it was going to crush her. "Oh, Tati.." She sobbed, letting one hand grab onto the soft white fur.

Last edited:
Duncan watched Adelaide with as she stood and said her piece, when the tears began his brow furrowed and the fork he held in his hand clattered to to the dish sending a resounding clashing noise in the room as she made her departure from the room. Hugh's anger lashed out then, he could not contain it. He stood and his chair fell backwards onto the floor. There was a ringing in his head and before Duncan could ask what on earth was happening he was pulled to his feet and roughly shoved against the wall. The wall reverberated with the force of the hit and a nearby picture fell off the wall and clattered to the ground, the frame snapping around the canvas. The house workers near by knew better to enter the room and all ducked for cover inside the kitchen waiting to see what might happen.

Hugh's anger had rendered him speechless, Duncan found himself rather frightened of the look upon his brothers face and held up his hands in surrender. Then suddenly Hugh pulled Duncan from the wall and shoved him out the room and down the hall towards the front door. Duncan made a sound of confusion and suddenly found himself outside in the pouring rain. Hugh had pushed him hard enough that he stumbled backwards and tripped drunkenly over his own feet. His rear hit the dirt road of Westwood and he looked up at his brother with utter surprise and confusion.
"Perhaps the rain will sober you up." Hugh said viciously, his knuckled white on the oak door. "Do not enter this house until you have realized the full consequences of your actions." He slammed the door behind him before Duncan could get a word in.

Hugh hesitated entering the study, he could hear the sobs of the clearly devastated Adelaide and the sound tore away his anger and filled him with such sorrow. He expelled a quick breath and let his heart lead him then. He entered the room and found her in front of the fire, holding onto Tatiana, her sobs racking through her whole body.

"Adelaide." He whispered, rushing over to her and sinking onto the carpet with her. He was in front of her then, and leaned forward into her, one hand finding her face to cup her cheek and the other finding her hand resting on Tatiana.

"Adelaide, oh god I am so sorry." Remembering he had a handkerchief in his pocket he pulled it out and offered it to her. "I'm so sorry for Duncan. I am so sorry for the words he said. I will travel to town tomorrow, see if I can find out what has all been said. See if I can rectify things."

Adelaide drew away from him as he touched her, but her hand remained in his as she cried. Eventually, she calmed and was able to speak coherently. At the mention of Hugh going into town, she shook her hear violently, looking up at him with pleading, teary eyes.

“No! Oh, Hugh, please...” she gripped his hand tightly before releasing it and taking the kerchief to dry her face. Handing it back, she continued. “Hugh, I...” she sighed shakily, looking away from him and fingering her choker.Tatiana placed her head on Adelaide’s lap. The woman rested one hand on the dog’s head, and with the other untied the ribbon that lay against her neck. As the necklace fell away she touched the old scar with shaking fingers, looking back at Hugh with fear in her eyes. “Things have happened here, Hugh. There are reasons everyone treats me as a pariah. I care about you too much to drag you down into this isolation with me.” She took his hand in her still trembling one and pressed it gently against the pink scar. Adelaide was terrified in that moment, and continued in a hoarse whisper.

“If you do go, you will hear of it from others. But I...I wish to tell you myself, if you will listen.” She gave him a bitter smile “you may do what you will once you know the truth. If you should cast me away then I do truly hope that our time together is a dream, so I do not have to love you while you scorn me.”

Last edited:
Hugh's confusion struck him senseless. Adelaide wasn't making much sense to him, how on earth could the entire town think so poorly of her? She pulled off the ribbon and his eyes found the scar that lined her neck. She was trembling and all he wanted to do was reach out and pull her close, however he thought she might pull away from him again and he knew his heart couldn't take that. Instead he lifted his hand and ran his hand down Tatiana's neck. It was a movement more to soothe himself than anything else.

"I do not understand Adelaide, I cannot possibly think that our town would view you that way. Your friends from last night did not seem bothered with your status." His brow furrowed and he let out a long low breath. He felt so torn, in one way he was filled with compassion for the woman, she was such a gentle spirit, however her scar was proof of a darker past, he had thought of her a victim.

"I'm listening."

Adelaide wiped her face with her hands and steadied herself. She looked down at her lap, clutching at her skirts so hard her knuckles went white. Taking a breath, she began her tale. "My father was a good man. But he wanted so desperately for a son. No matter how I tried, that is the one thing I could not be for him. So, when Edward came, he was overjoyed. He was so elated that he could not see the darkness lurking within the boy." Her own eyes darkened, and her face contorted into an expression of pain. "But I did. Edward...he was always volatile. But he was also an expert at hiding it. When he got comfortable in the house, he started. When the bruises showed on my skin it was waved away. 'Oh, clumsy Adelaide.' 'Oh, vapid Adelaide, never looks where she's going.' Any servants who tried to go against him were fired." She drew a shaking breath.

"When he got away with the little things, he progressed. A broken wrist explained away with a fall, twisted ankles from stumbling through the forest. He had wormed his way so deeply into my father's heart that it was expected for us to marry within a year of him becoming ward. I was seventeen. I finally broke down one night after I found the lock on my room broken. I was so afraid, Hugh. I ran all the way to town in my nightdress, screaming, crying for help. I begged for them to listen to me, to hide me, to talk to my father. They all thought I had gone mad with jealousy over a new sibling. 'Lovely Edward? Never.' 'Adelaide is just a spoiled child acting out.' 'Edward is such a fine boy, you know.' My father was called and retrieved me. Our reputation had been damaged terribly by my actions."

"The next week, I stayed in my room, hiding from him. What would he do to me, after I had tried to expose him? To escape? Nothing came. A month went by and I thought, perhaps, I am safe. Edward acted as if nothing happened at all. He asked me to play hide and seek with him, and it was not as if I could refuse." She rubbed her neck with one hand, tears anew falling from her eyes. "I ran through the house, and thought I had hit myself well in the parlor. Then I felt it. Edward had twisted up a sheet and came behind me with it, choking me. As he did he whispered the most awful things in my ear. The more I struggled, the deeper it cut. I blacked out. Upon waking, I found myself in hospital, my father leaning over me, crying. Edward had told him he found me trying to hang myself." Adelaide looked at Hugh, finally. "That is the answer to your question, last night, Hugh. The main family doesn't know about my 'attempt'. Edward made sure it spread through the town in whispers. I am mad Adelaide now, you see. The crazed woman who tried to take her life. I cannot tell anyone of his true nature. He might try to finish what he started."

Hugh took in her tale, his eyes had drifted down to Tatiana and his fingers through the soft fur. In his heart he knew Adelaide was telling the truth, the actions of Edward were certainly the cherry on top of the cake as proof for her past trauma. Beside them the fire shifted as logs gave way to the heat and the flame. When Adelaide was finished speaking Hugh was quiet for a long moment. He needed to collect his thoughts, again his slow nature had him processing before reacting. His hands pulled away from Tatiana, and he shifted backward.

"Stay here." He said softly to the woman and dog. He got to his feet and gathered some of the wood that was neatly tucked away and went about adding more to the fire. Bringing the flames back to life. Once that task was done he gathered the blanket they had been using earlier and brought it over to her. The terrible burden of her past, and the effort it took to share it with him had left her looking pale and worn out. He placed the blanket over her shoulders and brought it around her. He was slow and deliberate with his actions, making there was no sudden movements between the two of them. Then he found two glasses and a bottle of Merlot and brought them over as well. He settled back down in front of her and poured both the glasses full. He gave one glass to her and looked at the red liquid in his own considering his words. When the words finally did come to him, he spoke gently but it was clear there was anger not too far from the surface.

"What your father did, what Edward did was completely unacceptable, and for the town's folk to hear your pleas and ignore them will certainly cost them dearly in the afterlife. However Adelaide, I would like point out that I am none of those people. To me Adelaide, even though I have only known you a short time I can see clearly you are not a mad woman. I see a woman that despite the circumstances out of her control has grown into a kind and gentle creature. Despite everything, the love you have displayed for those around you has shone bright."

He wanted to touch her, so he set down his glass and reached up to brush a thumb over her cheek, his fingers curling to grip around the back of her head.

"How could I scorn you Adelaide?" He said softly. "I will not drive you away, nor will I be driven away."

Adelaide was too exhausted to cry again, thought at his sweet words she almost wished she could. He touched her again, so gently the contact almost ached. She sipped at the wine and leaned into his hand as she swallowed, her eyes fluttering closed. A soft sigh left her lips, and her voice creaked out of her throat in a hoarse whisper.

"Forgive me, Hugh. Please. I was so afraid of being alone again." One hand left the glass she held and rested atop his own as he cradled her face. "You have given me more kindness than I have had in many years. I was selfish with my feelings; I didn't want to risk that kindness vanishing." Finally, she lifted her heavy, tired eyes and presented him with a melancholy smile. "You have suffered so in your life. I apologize for adding my tale to your woes, and for being so forward with my affections. You deserve some steady peace, now. I'm not sure how well I could, but if you'll allow me to, I would be honored to help give it to you."

She gently sipped at the wine again, letting the liquid cool her parched throat. Releasing her hold on his hand, she rested hers atop his knee, feeling the warmth of his skin through his trousers. "And, I'm so sorry for how I spoke to your brother at dinner. Even with his words, that was unspeakably rude of me. I hope I can earn his forgiveness, too." Her eyes met his earnestly, worry, sorrow and a little spark of hope swirling in her olive irises.

She looked calmer, it was clear the days events had worn the both of them out, but Hugh knew some peace had returned to both of their hearts. Their touches were gentle and loving and where they connected Hugh was acutely aware of her. Her skin was smooth and she smelled like a dream.

"There is something about this, Adelaide. I do believe the fates have aligned just so, perhaps we are just what the other needs." He told her. Her hand moved to his knee and she spoke of Duncan. Hugh's brow furrowed and he realized that he had left his poor brother out in the rain. "Ah hell, one moment Adelaide. I should probably retrieve him." He cursed softly, not wanting to leave her, even for a moment. Hugh got to his feet and winked at her before he moved to the door. Once there he paused before opening the oak door.

"I do not think the rain will let up, We can always take the carriage to your hope or I can have a maid set up our guest room for you. I'll let you think it over while I get Duncan." With that Hugh left and walked over to the front door. Joseph had kindly left a few towels by the front door and Hugh snorted a bit, wondering what the dear man must think of him. He picked up one of the towels and opened the front door. It was dark outside, and so it too a few moments for Hugh's eyes to adjust. He had to look around a bit but ultimately found Duncan huddled under a window sill along the side of the house.

It certainly seemed that the rain had done a decent job for sobering him up from the pitiful look Duncan gave Hugh. Hugh jerked his head towards the front door and the two walked inside and stood in the entry hall. Duncan was dripping wet, he gratefully took the towel offered to him and rubbed his face in it.

"Forgive me brother. I did not think that it would upset her as much as it did." Duncan muttered, his face still in the towel. Hugh gave Duncan's shoulder a squeeze and he shrugged.
"It seems perhaps I owe you an apology as well. I should not have thrown you out as I did." Hugh said. Duncan lifted his head and they locked eyes. The look they gave each other indicated that nothing more needed to be said. "Go upstairs and get some rest Duncan. Tomorrow we'll come at this with fresh minds." Hugh told him, Duncan did not need to be told twice, and soon he was upstairs and in his own room.

Hugh ran a hand through his hair, it was damp again from the short while he had been outside. After taking a moment of peace for himself he returned to the study and settled be Adelaide again. This time next to her, his hips and shoulders brushing against hers.

Adelaide managed a small smile as Hugh winked and left to retrieve his brother. She drank again as she thought over his offer, and grimaced a little. It seemed that she was bound to cause him nuisance either way. But he returned soon after and sat close to her, his warmth on her side bringing sleep heavy over her. Adelaide smiled at him dreamily and sighed, resting her head gently on his shoulder. "Perhaps it would be best if I stayed; I don't wish for any of your people to catch cold driving me home in this storm."

She lifted her head again as an idea struck her. "Would you mind if I had a pen and paper? I'll send Tati home with a message so Charles and my cousins do not fret too much." She looked at the dog adoringly "Though it will be difficult to sleep alone." Adelaide looked back up to Hugh with her sleepy eyes, and blushed at their closeness. She gently cupped his face with one hand, and pressed a single chaste kiss to his brow, fondly. "I should think it would appease my cousins better anyway, having you accompany me back to explain. If I showed up half drowned in a foreign dress, they might think us of keeping a secret courtship from them."

Adelaide spoke quietly, her face close to his as she talked. She knew she should pull away more, give him proper space, and she began to do so reluctantly. Slowly, she released her hold on his cheek and leaned backward a little.

She leaned into him and Hugh enjoyed the touch of her hand, and her lips over his skin. His eyes glanced down as she thought of her plan to send a message back to her home. He thought it a fine idea and got up to search his desk for the requested materials. He set up his ink well, feather pen and placed some parchment on his desk for her to use. He gestured that she come and sit at the chair and pushed aside some of the company papers so that she would have room to write.

"It is no trouble to host you here. As for a secret courtship, I must admit the thought is rather thrilling." He had a boyish grin again. He settled back and let her write, he retrieved his own wine and sipped quietly while she wrote. When she paused he spoke again.

"I will happily accompany you tomorrow. I must head to town after and start preparations for the ball that is to be held. I do believe with the talk over the town about the two of us we might as well give them another thing to talk about. Perhaps we can slowly change some minds." He mused as he drank some more. He remembered then he should alert the maid to set up a room fore Adelaide. So he peeked out of the study and saw one making her way down the stairs. She curtsied when she saw him and he gave her direction. She nodded and turned around to complete her task. Hugh returned to the study and found a leather tube where Adelaide could safely stow her note so it would not get damaged in the rain.

Adelaide smiled gently and shed the blanket as she stood. He cleared the desk and pulled out the chair and she tipped her head gratefully in recognition. She sat and penned her note, choosing her words carefully as not to give her cousins any more gossip material than necessary. Hugh grinned brightly and Adelaide giggled at the sight. "I do agree, the thought is a little exciting, isn't it?" She finished writing her note, and watched him poke his head out of the room to instruct the maid.

Hugh returned with a letter holder, and she took it from him , their fingers brushing lightly. Rolling up the parchment, she tucked it away inside. Leaning over the armrest of the chair, she called softly. "Tatiana, come here." The dog stood wearily and shook herself before trotting over. She nuzzled Hugh's hand before coming to sit in front of Adelaide. The woman smiled and kissed the dog's soft head before attaching the letter holder to her collar. Sitting up and pointing toward the study door, Adelaide said calmly "Tatiana, go home."

At her command, the Boize trotted over to the study door and yipped at it, wagging her tail. Adelaide smiled at Hugh and picked up her wine glass as she followed, opening the doors. Tatiana then walked to the front door, and Adelaide glanced at Hugh for permission to open it. When he nodded slightly she did, and the hound vanished into the rain. Closing the door again, she turned back to her host and smiled, giving him a little curtsey.

"I cannot thank you enough for giving me such a wonderful day, and for the kindness you continue to grant me."

Hugh enjoyed watching Adelaide interact with Tatiana. He gave the dog a fond rustle of fur and watched as she was instructed to run home. After Tatiana had departed the maid Hugh had instructed stepped down the stairs and informed them that Adelaide's room was ready for the evening. Hugh thanked her and soon the maid had left out a side door to the quarters of the workers that lived in Westwood.

"Thank you Adelaide, for being honest and also for the most adventurous day." Hugh offered his arm to Adelaide intending to walk her to her room. He wasn't quite ready to leave her but it was becoming quite late in the evening and he was certain they both could use a decent sleep. They walked up the stairs together, and turned down a long hallway. It was lined with several doors and marble pedestals that held vases of unique origin. They walked down the hall to a door that had been left open and Hugh paused in front of the door.

"I must admit I would be improper of me to enter this room while you are a guest here. But I must admit the thought of leaving you doesn't sit quite right with me." He told her.

Adelaide smiled and blushed a little at his comment. She squeezed his arm lightly with both hands, as they were wrapped around his offered arm. Adelaide laughed, shaking her head lightly. "My dear Hugh, I think we've already been rather improper today, no?" She quirked a brow at him, her eyes shining playfully. The alcohol was causing her to open up a little. Smiling, she said "Come, I don't wish to be parted from you just yet either, if I am honest." Adelaide tugged gently on Hugh's arm, and it did not take much coaxing to have him following her into the room. She left the door open, hoping to make him feel more at ease.

She settled him on the chair by the window and sat herself across from him on the foot of the bed. Adelaide reached up and tugged her hair down, the golden curls cascading down over her neck and shoulders. Shaking her head a bit to free it fully, she combed it out of her face and smiled at him happily, swinging her feet a little. "How about a sing to you a little?" She offered, laughing lightly. "I don't mind acapella, though you'll have to blame the alcohol if my notes are a little off."

Adelaide felt much as she had as a child. Free, happy, and unshackled by the darkness lurking in her house. It didn't matter that her neck lay bare before Hugh, he had not recoiled from the ugly slight of her marred skin. His calm smile and warm eyes put her at ease again, and she continued in a soft voice. "I know not how else to repay an angel."

Hugh was grateful that Adelaide felt the same, and allowed himself to be led into the room. He sat where he was directed and settled in relaxed. There was something lovely about how she took down her hair. It cascaded around her face and reminded him of the stories his mother used to tell about the fairies. Her legs could not reach the ground when she sat on the bed and the way she kicked her feet made him grin. Encouraged by her at ease behavior he leaned back in the chair and stretched out his long legs. Hugh pulled on his pant legs and brought the material up to his knees. He toed off his socks and sighed happily.

"I would happily take a song." He said. "I'm afraid I have no musical talents of my own, but that does not decrease my pleasure of melody, and I shan't say a word if the wine has made a few notes come out different." He chuckled. When she called him an angel he barked with laughter at the idea. Despite the war and anger within him, she still felt it fit to call him such, what a novel idea. He lifted his hands as if he were a conductor for an orchestra and encouraged a tune from her lips.

Adelaide smiled as Hugh relaxed, and at his becoming, she opened her mouth and began to sing.

My heart is like a haunted house
There's things in there that scratch about
They make their music in the night
And in the day they give me such a fright

Adelaide closed her eyes as she sang, and the music that came to her was a song she'd written in her youth. It was a little sad in word, but the tune was bright and happy. The juxtaposition made it all the more beautiful. When she'd finished, Adelaide opened her eyes and smiled bashfully at Hugh. "I've never actually sung that for anyone, before. I suppose you just make me feel at ease enough that it came out naturaly." She raked a hand through her hair to move it from her face and watched him with a warm expression.

Hugh let his arms drop back down to the chair to listen to her properly. Her song washed over him and he wondered if down the hall Duncan could hear her as well. Perhaps even the workers in the floor below caught a hint of her lovely voice. He was certain all would go to bed tonight with a song in their heart and a pleasant dream on the mind. When she finished his hands clapped together automatically a few times in appreciation for her. He stood then and moved forward to press a kiss to her forehead.

"That was absolutely lovely." He told her. "Thank you for sharing it with me. You wrote it when you were young?" He asked her, turning around and settling on the edge of the bed next to her. He was curious to hear more about her past. "Did your father ever send you for lessons?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back