• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Bronze Locket

Adelaide was feeling much less apprehensive about their ride, now. Hugh helped her over to Aphrodite's side and guided her hand to the horn of the saddle. She noticed it was markedly different from the ones in her father's stables; it seemed to be made for a lady. She smiled at her host's thoughtfulness. Taking a breath, she replied. "Thank you Mr. Montgomery, I'm ready now." At her word, the man's large, strong hands gripped either side of her waist and lifted her up onto the leather. The warmth of his hands was comforting, the pressure round her waist not too tight. Once she was seated he released her, and Adelaide was feeling nervous again.

She adjusted her foot into the stirrup and gripped the reigns in her free hand. Tatiana had her ears perked, watching her owner carefully. Adelaide gave Hugh a slightly wobbling smile. "Well, I suppose I'm ready, good sir."

Hugh made sure Adelaide was seated securely before he stepped back. He untied Aphrodite and handed the reigns to Adelaide. He gave her a reassuring smile and took the reigns of Hellfire that were offered to him via stable boy. Hugh was up on the stallion in no time and seated like a well trained rider.

"Let us be off then." He lifted his hand in farewell to the stable boys, who bowed in return. Hellfire bobbed his head up and down in an impatient motion before Hugh took control and led the horse out of the stable and towards the woods behind the house. In the distance he could see a worn out pathway between the trees from other riders previous. Hugh made sure Hellfire kept his pace easy for Love and Adelaide to stay close to them. The path between the trees was too narrow for them to ride side by side so Hugh took the lead and they made their way into dense forest.

The sun streamed through the gaps of the trees, the beams hitting the mossy ground and highlighting small wildflowers. The aroma of bark and forest filled Hugh's nostrils and he took great pleasure breathing in the dense air. In the distance he caught sight of a pack of deer and he slowed their pace.
"Look. Over there." Hugh said softy, pointing in the distance.

Adelaide smiled and breathed in the thick scented air of the woods. Though she was still a little unsteady atop the animal, Hugh leading the way and Tatiana behind helped ease her nerves. She was able to ride with only a little wobbling about. When HUgh pointed out the deer, she gasped lightly, watching the animals trot delicately through the dappled sunlight. Tatiana, however, had also spotted them, and took off howling. The deer scattered, and Adelaide let out a sharp whistle. "Tatiana! Come!" Her voice lost it's usual gentle tone, turning commanding. The dog circled around and returned to the riders. "Oh! You bad dog!" She scolded. "We aren't on a hunt! They weren't doing anything but living." The dog looked entirely unfazed by the scolding, wagging her tail and her tongue lolling out the wide of her mouth as she panted.

Adelaide turned to Hugh, an apologetic smile on her lips. "Oh, I'm so sorry. Tati is terribly ill-mannered."

The gentle vision was blurred by barking and an excited Tatiana who began to speed away from them. Hugh winced at the sharp whistle and watched as the dog turned back at the command of Adelaide. Impressed Hugh glanced back at Adelaide as she scolded the dog, there was something about her as she chided the animal that looked back at her adoringly. Hugh felt something skip in his heart but did his best to ignore the feeling. He laughed at her apology and shook his head.

"I would expect nothing less from Tatiana. You have trained her well. Not many dogs would come back after sighting their quarry." He looked fondly at the dog. "Well let's continue shall we?" He clicked his tongue and soon they were off again. The steady sound off hooves moving along the path. Every once in a while Hugh would pause and point something out to Adelaide, they traveled in fairly easy silence. Hugh found it was in the wood he felt the most at home. As they pressed on the woods seemed to clear and the path slowly became grass. They were on ground that had not seen humanity for a long while. Hugh wondered if perhaps they had left his holding, but he was fairly certain the lands of his went on for a while more.

"I do not think I've ever been here before. " He told Adelaide. The grass was tall and danced in the light summer breeze. In the distance was a small hill, and Hugh could see what appeared to be crumbled stone atop it. Curious he beckoned for Adelaide to follow him and they made their way towards the sight. When they were close enough for Hugh to understand what it was he let out a low whistle.

"This appears to be ruins of some kind. A small house."

Adelaide thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Hugh was kind and kept a steady pace, showing her something or other that caught his eye as they moved. The sunlight was warm and the gentle breeze cool. Hugh was easy to be around, she found. Even the silence between them was comfortable. Her heart did little leaps as she watch his broad back before her, projecting a subtle strength.

When he lead her up the grassy hillock, Adelaide’s eye widened. She looked over the crumbling stone from her mount and pushed her hair back from her face as the wind tangled through it.

“It can’t be...” she murmured “I thought it had been a dream..”

Adelaide's soft words carried on the breeze and Hugh's head snapped over to her. Her eyes were wide but Hugh could not determine the emotion upon her face.

"You have been here before?" He asked her. Hugh slipped off Hellfire and after giving the horse a small pat on the rump he moved aside to peer closer to the stones. Hellfire trotted away and bent his head to nibble at a few leaves of grass. Hugh moved back to Adelaide and raised his hand to her, offering her assistance down to the ground. At his feet Tatiana sniffed curiously around.

"Are you alright Miss. Lovelocke?" He questioned.

Adelaide took his hand and slid off of the mare. She gripped his hand tightly before releasing it. Gathering up her skirts in her hands, she stepped over the crumbling foundation. Adelaide turned, slowly, examining the structure from all sides within the broken walls.

“it is! Why, I really did think it was a dream.” Shaking her head lightly to clear it, she looked back over to Hugh, who was watching her with a creased brow. “Oh, I’m fine Mr. Montgomery, forgive me if I alarmed you. I just never expected to return here.” She gently laid a gloved hand upon the stone, looking at it with intensity. “When I was young, my mother passed away. That first night, without her in the house, I couldn’t stand it. I ran away.”Adelaide lifted her head to meet Hugh’s eyes, a bittersweet smile playing across her lips. “It was dark and cold, and I ran until I was exhausted. I would up here, curled into the corner.”

Hugh found himself a sturdy piece of rubble to lean against as Adelaide made her way into the crumbling foundation. His listened to the tale of a lonely sad little girl and found he sympathized with her. What a long way for a small child to run.

"That must have been confusing and scary for a young child. Were you found or were you able to make your way home the next day?" He asked her. The look of nostalgia seemed to bring sadness to her eyes and Hugh imagined for a moment embracing her. Taking her into his arms and just holding her until the sad memories were eased.

"My mother used to tell me stories of a witch that lived in the woods behind Aunt Lydia's house. I always thought it was fiction but perhaps there was a bit of truth to it. Mother told me her name too.... What was it now?" He paused in thought trying to bring the name back to his mind. "Maud. Thats the name."

Adelaide shook her head, hand still upon the old stone. "No, no. I was here for nearly two days before they found me. My father's old hunting dog managed to track me here once he came to Westwood. The whole town was in a bit of an uproar." Finally, she released her hold on the wall, coming back around to stand before him. "That's how I first met Miss. Lydia. She wrapped me up in a blanket and berated my father for letting me out of his sight." Adelaide smiled fondly. At Hugh's mention of a witch, she tilted her head, curiosity sparking in her eyes.

"Really? How interesting." She looked about the building again with renewed interest. "I wonder if she really was a witch?"

"Two days? My goodness." Hugh felt his stomach turn at the idea of a child being alone out in the middle of nowhere. "That certainly quite the adventure you had. Aunt Lydia never told me that was how you met." Hugh got off his perch and moved closer to her. His feet stepping around loose stone and bits of rubble. "I'm happy you made it home safely. That must have been quite the ordeal to get over. I hope you were well taken care of." Hugh foot slipped on a stone and he shot sideways into Adelaide softly. Their shoulders touched and Hugh felt a small jolt of electricity move through him.

"Ah apologizes." He said softly straightening and then moving an appropriate distance from her. "My mother said Maud was. Mum had never met her but my great great grandmother used to say that she had met the old witch in the woods. Said Maud was a kind soul, always offered flowers as bits of good luck to travellers and concoctions for those taken ill. Perhaps this was her little cottage."

"Oh, no. I really don't remember much from that time. I did truly think it had all been a strange dream." Adelaide smiled at his concern. She opened her mouth to speak, but he fell into her, their shoulders collaiding. Adelaide took a step back to steady herself, her hands automatically moving to hold Hugh. She stopped herself before she could grab him, though. Adelaide felt goose skin rise up on her arms as they touched, a little thrill running through her. When her host had righted himself, Adelaide opened her fan to hide the blush spreading across her cheeks.

He spoke of a kind old crone, and she felt her heart soften. "Really? Well, perhaps that is why I felt so safe here. Like all the darkness couldn't reach me as long as I was within the walls." An idea struck her, and Adelaide took the wildflower from behind her ear. Gathering her skirts in one hand, she knelt down and placed the little bloom in the corner where she'd sheltered. Making a cross, she murmured "Thank you, lady Maud, if your spirit lingers here, for the protection you gave me. Amen." She stood again, and smiled at Hugh. Taking a step forward, she said "This has certainly been a facina--eep!" Adelaide's eyes had been so focused on the man before her that she hadn't looked at her feet. She'd tripped over a stone, and stumbled into Hugh's broad chest.

Hugh watched Adelaide place the little offering, his own hands found a piece of stone and he sent up his own little thanks to whom ever may be listening. There was something in the air here, Hugh couldn't describe it. Adelaide stood to her feet and Hugh straightened, she was mid sentence when her foot caught on a stone and she came propelling forward. Hugh reacted by lifting his arms and crossing them around her, holding her tight to him. He hadn't been prepared and so he lost his footing and fell backwards onto ground. He grunted but did his best to cushion her fall.

She was was in his lap, the both of them a mess of limbs and fabric from her dress. Before he could help it a laugh bubbled out of his chest. It came out in loud jovial tones. His arms squeezed tighter around her and he gave her the hug he had been thinking of. It seemed fate had thrown him a bone in this moment and he hoped Adelaide wouldn't mind if in this space he could indulge himself a moment.

"Are you hurt?" He asked her after his laughter calmed. Her hair was over her forehead and he pushed a bit of it back to tuck it behind her ear.

Suddenly the world spun as they fell in a tangle of limbs and fabric. Hugh's arms encircled her and squeezed, and Adelaide's heart fluttered like a caged bird in her chest. She had a gloved hand clinging to the fabric of his shirt, the other by his side in the grass. With such warmth surrounding her, Adelaide nearly cried. Though they were in a heap in a meadow in the woods, Hugh's laughter rang out and his scent wreathed around her, she'd never felt more safe. There really was something about this place that held some strange little magic.

Adelaide laughed with him, feeling her cheeks catch fire at their closeness. All his handsome features were thrown into sharp relief in the sunlight, and Adelaide was captivated. His ruffled hair moving in the breeze, the greenery bringing out the warm brown tones. The crinkle of his blue, blue eyes filled with mirth, and his mouth stretched over his teeth in a bright smile. When his hand ghosted over his skin to fix her hair, lightning danced across her forehead. Without thinking, her thoughts spilled out of her lips, unhindered.

"You truly must be my angel..."

Her words came out in a breathless sort of way and he felt his heart thump in his chest. Her olive eyes seemed to have gold flecks in them and he felt so drawn to them. There was no mistaking that the overwhelming feelings Hugh had in the moment were shared by Adelaide. The hand that had moved her hair traced lightly from her temple and down her jawline, his knuckles just barely grazing her skin to rest under her chin. His thumb swept up then, brushing lightly against the soft skin of her cheek. Hugh forgot himself in that moment, how could he remember decorum and manners when they lay together in this place. How could he, when she looked at him the way she did.

"Adelaide..." He spoke her name, just the barest of whispers. "In this moment, I would very much like to kiss you." He murmured. Waiting a breath to see if she would stop him, before his head moved and his lips caught hers softly. His body relaxed around her and he pulled away after a moment. He couldn't apologize for his actions, it felt entirely too right.

Adelaide was spellbound by the intensity of Hugh's eyes. There was some sort of passion in the ocean depths that left her utterly at his mercy. The moment seemed to stretch out for eternity, and she was so glad it did. His fingers traced her face with a gentleness she had never known, and she leaned into his hand, relishing the touch. When he spoke her name, in a whisper that seemed a prayer, heart heart nearly stopped. She remained still as he leaned forward, and when their lips met Adelaide knew why so many songs sang of love.

Though the contact was all too brief, she knew the dams that had been holding her feelings had broken. They swelled in her chest and filled her all down to her toes, strange, strong things she had been so scared to feel. Adelaide felt elated and more nervous than ever all at once. She felt tears begin to bubble and flow from her eyes, falling one by one onto his shirt, to which she still clung tightly. "Hugh," She whispered, feeling the weight of each syllable on her tongue "I-I believe I...might be starting to fall in love..with you..." When the words finally made it out of her throat, they seemed to hang heavy in the air. She felt her face catch fire, and suddenly, she was terrified of his answer. Without thinking, Adelaide buried her face into his chest, shaking slightly.

Last edited:
His name fell out of her mouth and it sounded oh so perfect, and yet he could see tears brimming at her eyes and worried for a moment he had scared her. His shirt caught the salty tears and he heard her whisper her confession. His throat caught and he made a small strangled noise of surprise. She curled in closer to him now and rested her head on his chest. She trembled and his arms tightened around her.

"Adelaide..." He said her name again, his silence hung in the air as his thoughts franticly tried to form coherent sentences. What on earth could he say to her? Did he feel the same? In the moment he did not know. "I must confess... we have spent such little time together but I cannot deny this between us." His hand came up from her back and held in the air as he struggled to find the words.

"There is something here." His hand dropped back down to her back and unconsciously he stroked up and down her back, he was silent again for a moment and then decided he wanted to look her in the eye. He caught her face in his hands and tilted her face towards his. "I don't know if I can put a name to this emotion within me. However if I may be so bold, I would like to continue to explore this feeling with you."

Adelaide listened to Hugh's halting words, still roiling with her own emotions. His strong hand gently stroked her spine, attempting to soothe her, though it only caused further lightning within her body. He gently lifted her head and spoke, his ocean eyes meeting her teary ones steadily. His voice was calm and deep, and slowly Adelaide began to relax a little. She nodded her head in agreement.

"I would like that very much...Hugh." She seemed to stumble over his name, the word still new to her mouth. Her face reddened again, and she gently pushed off of his chest, sitting up. Though she did not separate herself entirely from him yet. "I-I'm so sorry, I haven't even asked if you're alright. Did the fall hurt you?" Her gloved hand reached out without a second thought, and she gently ran her fingers over the back of his head, checking for a bump. Her brow was creased with worry.

She sat up a bit but Hugh could still feel the tingles of what had transpired between the two of them sparking over his arms and chest. He liked the idea of courting her, of stealing away to press soft kisses to her. He wanted all her time. She distracted him by suddenly moving forward to inspect him for any wounds from the fall. Her fingers moved through his hair and he felt a small shudder move over him. He found he quite enjoyed her fussing over him and it brought a smile to his face.

"I believe I will be just fine. My backside hurts a bit, but I do not think I have any lasting damage." He winced a little as her fingers found a small bump near the back of his head and he sighed a bit. "Well perhaps I have a small bump, but it's nothing to worry about." He told her. He sat up further and caught her hand that was still pressed to his head. He brought it to his lips and gave her wrist a fond kiss. Above them the summer wind had blown over some darker clouds.

"I think it might rain, perhaps we should head back to Westwood." He said thoughtfully.

Adelaide blushed a fiery red as his lips made contact with her wrist. Shivers ran through her body and she even let out a small giggle. But once she calmed, Adelaide stood, brushing off her skirts and holing out her hand to him. "Regardless, I want you looked over as soon as we get back. I won't take no for an answer." She arched a brow and smiled playfully, knowing how much she sounded like his brother. "And I believe we should return soon, anyway. If we're away too long who knows what people will say. I don't want to hurt your reputation." Her deep eyes were ernest and a little worried.

Hugh took her hand and soon he was back up on his feet, his head ached a little at the movement but he did his best to appear unbothered by it. In the distance there was a low rumble of thunder and Hugh could feel the pressure changing.

"I promise I have no issues to you attending to me." He teased slightly. "As for my reputation, I find myself not too concerned. It is perhaps yours that we should worry about. I would hate to have society think poorly of you, just as you've entered it officially." Hugh give a short whistle to the horses and they lifted their heads from their grazing and obediently made their way back to the two of them. Hugh helped Adelaide up and when she was settled on Love, he climbed onto Hellfire. Hugh urged them on as another clap of thunder sounded above them. In the distance he could see the sky's dropping rain to the earth. They were about halfway when the rain hit them. Hugh could tell that they would be soaked through by the time they arrived back at home. He hoped the summer air would stay warm so as not to give them too much of a chill.

They arrived back at Westwood looking like a couple of drowned cats, Tatiana included. The horses were put away and as they entered the house, Adelaide sneezed. She laughed as they stood in the entrance hall, waiting for a maid to fetch them towels. "Well, don't we look like a kelpie's lunch!" Adelaide kept still, trying to drip on the smallest surface possible. The maid finally came, and Adelaide began to dry off her hair, watching Hugh wipe off his face. "Mr. Montgomery," She said, using his proper name as they were back in company "Would it be quite alright if I wait out the storm here? I took a path across the river to arrive, and I'm afraid that is much flooded over as of now." Adelaide spoke the truth, though she was grateful for the storm. She didn't want to leave Hugh's company just yet.

Tatiana gave a great shake, splattering them and anything nearby in it's own little rainstorm. Adelaide took her towel and began to dry the dog off, not bothering to try with her clothes--the dress she wore was thoroughly ruined. The fabric was pasted to her skin, so much so that the outline of her corset showed. Adelaide paid it no mind, more worried about her animal and her host.

Hugh agreed that the two of them looked like something a kelpie might enjoy eating and it made him laugh. He thanked the maid for getting a towel and began drying himself off where he could. As he did so he asked the maid to see what she could fetch the both of them for dry clothes so that theirs might dry out. His eyes slide over to Adelaide and he took in the sight of her. Her clothes clung to her and he watched as she knelt to try and clean off Tatiana. It took him a moment to realize she had asked him a question, he coughed and looked away.

"You are more than welcome to stay as long as you need." The maid returned and she held a bundle of clothes in each of her arms. "Thank you Mary." He said to the maid who bowed.
"Ma'am, I can take you to the guest quarters to get changed." Mary said curtsying to Adelaide. "I'm afraid I have nothing as fancy as your dress but I did find an old gown the Mistress Montgomery left." Mary help up a rather plain looking dress, the sort of kind one might wear during a lazy day at home with no company expected. "Forgive me for not finding something more to your style." Mary gestured for the Adelaide to follow her up the stairs and to the guest room.

"I will meet you in the study Adelaide. And then you can tell me about this river path you spoke of. It sounds rather charming." Hugh called up to them. He had taken over doing his best to dry off Tatiana. His butler appeared when Mary had left and Hugh gave him direction to prepare tea with a dash of liquor to warm the chill from them. The butler also offered to bring some blankets which Hugh thought was a lovely idea. Once Tatiana was more damp than wet, Hugh led her into the study near the fireplace. Hugh got to work getting a fire going and once he knew Tatiana was settled in front of the warm fire and drying did he go and get changed himself.

Once he was out of his clothes he immediately felt a chill move over his skin making him shiver. He dressed in pants and clean shirt. His long hair was a mess and he did his best to fix it but unfortunately the rain had done its damage. Resigned to looking as he was he returned to the study to find warm tea and some pastries. His butler had left a water bowl and some left over meat for Tatiana and the animal was eating happily.

Adelaide smiled shyly at him before following the maid up the stairs. "Oh, it's quite alright. I'm glad to have anything at all to change to." The maid laid the dress out on the bed of the guest room before curtseying and saying she'd be just outside. Once the door closed, Adelaide shucked her wet clothes and accessories, reluctantly including the choker. Putting on the simple dress, she dried her hair off as much as she could and piled it atop her head in a messy bun. At her request, Mary fetched a dry pair of socks, as they had no shoes her size, and a spare blue ribbon.

Apprising herself in the mirror, Adelaide blushed at the thought of being around Hugh in such casual clothes. She found herself hoping that he still smiled at her, even without all the trappings she donned usually. The bronze locked was slipped onto the ribbon, and the little satin thing tied around her neck to finish the look. Mary took her clothes to be dried and laundered, then lead her back to the study. She entered with a small curtsy, brushing back a stray strand of hair that had escaped her bun.

"Have you been looked at yet, Mr. Montgomery?" Was the first question from her lips, her olive eyes watching him with concern. Though when she found Tatiana lounging next to the fire contentedly, she clapped lightly, laughing. "My my, look whose become spoiled in my absence!" The rest of the study was relaxed and had an almost romantic atmosphere, with the tea sitting ready on the table and Hugh looking comfortable, his hair tousled. Adelaide blushed again, feeling a little bashful now in his presence alone.

Hugh was nursing a tea that was mostly bourbon when Adelaide entered, he smiled warmly at her and when she immediately showed concern for him his grin turned up even wider. After she was done fussing over Tatiana, Hugh moved forward in his seat and began to pour her a cup of tea. He sat on a lush sofa that looked onto the fireplace. In front of him a low wooden coffee table held their drinks and food. He set her cup down was he finished pouring.

"To answer your question, no I have not been looked at Miss. Lovelocke." He told her. Hugh noticed the flush of her cheeks and gave her a lazy smile. What with the room being warmed by the fire and the general ease he felt around her, Hugh had become quite relaxed. There was a knock at the door and Hugh's butler, Joseph entered carrying a large blanket. He bowed to the both of them after he set the blanket down on the back of the sofa.

"If it pleases you sir, I will have the cook begin preparations for supper. It should be ready in the next hour or two." Joseph said, he left after Hugh thanked him and shut the door quietly behind him.

"Are you cold?" Hugh asked Adelaide, offering the blanket to her.

Adelaide took her seat beside him, picking up the teacup and sipping it gently. The warmth of the tea with the alcohol's extra kick warmed her from the inside out. She took the blanket gratefully, and sat close to him besides, taking any excuse to be nearer than proper. She reached out a warmed hand and gently ran it through his hair, settling on the bump again. When he winced, she tutted her tongue.

"This simply won't do. I'll need an aide kit from your servant's quarters. The least I can do to repay you for breaking that fall is help keep you mended, no?" Adelaide drew her hand away again after a few moments. In the firelight Hugh looked a different kind of handsome. Instead of bright and angelic, he looked calm and sultry. Adelaide blushed at their closeness, moving away a little, though her gaze lingered on his lips.

"If you don't mind, how did you get that scar, Hugh?" She asked in a soft murmur. Without thinking, she reached out, her fingers ghosting over the calloused skin, touching the edge of his lips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back