• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern The Bronze Locket

Bria smiled, leaning down to kiss Adelaide on the cheeks as well. The smaller woman nearly swooned, hanging onto Hugh to steady herself. She was shaking. "Mrs. Ricci," She said, star struck "I am so deeply honored to meet such a divine Madonna. Truly." Adelaide was overwhelmed at the woman's mere presence. Standing so close to such a legend humbled her. Bria smiled, her eyes sparkling. Duncan broke away to join his lover.

"Please, you both must call me Bria. You are family now. Our home will always be open to family." Adelaide felt tears spring to her eyes as she smiled.

"Mad--I mean, Bria. You daughter has been my closest friend for so many years, I am thrilled to finally be here. I do feel as though we already know each other." Adelaide was surprised at the words tumbling out of her mouth so casually. Indeed, while the amazonian woman was intimidating in stature, she projected an air of peace and calm. It was easy to be comfortable with her. "We are so excited to explore your beautiful country and to see you preform!"

Bria smiled once more, her white teeth peeking through her red lips. Brushing her long hair over her shoulder, she motioned and the young man behind her came forward. Placing her elegant hands on his shoulders, she introduced him.

"This is being my youngest, Paolo. His translation is off today, so you must be forgiving him for being shy." Paolo bowed, shaking Hugh's hand and kissing Adelaide as the others had done. When he stepped away, Bria began to make hand motions as she spoke, and he watched intently. "Amore, what do you think of your newest cousins? They come from England with Fausta." He made hand motions back, almost too quick to decipher. Bria laughed and looked to the couple.

"He says that Hugh is having a handsome face, and that Adelaide looks a flower." Adelaide blushed and smiled at the young man, who was smiling at them brightly.

"Thank you very much, Paolo." She replied.
~

Duncan soon joined the frenzy of her brothers and father. Rocco looked at her with a beaming smile. "And who is this strapping man, Fausta?" He asked. His english was a little better than the others. He clapped Duncan on the shoulder and shook his hand. Fausta laughed, coming to stand by her lover. She took his hand and placed a kiss on his cheek.

"This is being Duncan Montgomery, papa." She introduced. Ezio had an almost sour look on his face, but she ignored it. "<He is simply fabulous.>" She continued in Italian. Rocco roared with laughter that seemed too loud for such a small man, and shook Duncan's hand with a strength that didn't suit him.

"Welcome, my boy! If Fausta had brought you home to us, it means you are family. I've always wanted another devilishly handsome son, you know." He winked and the groups were herded inside. The interior of the villa was more spectacular than the exterior, all marble and vines and plush furniture. Servants scurried about around them. "How can we entertain our new cousins, Amore?" Rocco called to Bria, who glided over to him.

She took his hand and he suddenly dipped her, causing a musical laugh to fall from her lips. "Shall we tell them the story of how we met?" He purred. he two seemed lost to everything but each other, and all four children groaned simultaneously.

Hugh smiled at the young man and when he realized that Paolo was deaf, Hugh made a mental note to try and be expressive with his hands should he need to communicate with him. He grinned at the compliment and laughed a little.

"Thank you sir." Hugh said jovially, already the atmosphere of the Ricci home was more accepting and joyful than the Montgomery home had ever been. The other group that held Duncan and Fausta was speaking loudly and animatedly and Hugh wondered if the family was always this expressive. Soon they were ushered inside and brought past long marble hallways to a seating room. Along one wall was an opening to an outside area where a large tiled pool of water lay. It was shallow, just deep enough to submerge ones feet. Looking past it Hugh could see the water of the Mediterranean and he sighed happily.

Hugh sat on a plush royal blue chaise and accepted a glass goblet of red wine from a servant that made his way around the room offering glasses to everyone. Rocco and Brie converged and they looked like quite a pair. Rocco offered to tell the story of how they met and despite the groans from the children Hugh found himself quite invested to know.

"I would very much like that." Hugh said, his voice calm yet determined to know.

~

"Yes we absolutely must know." Duncan agreed raising his glass to the couple, he had taken a seat next to Fausta, his hand resting familiarly on Fausta's knee. Duncan had thought perhaps he might feel a little worried at meeting his lovers family, but he found he could not be fearful at all. Rocco, certainly was a man of great strength but truly the man seemed endearing. Feeling at home already, Duncan spotted their trunks being carried past the seating room and presumably towards their respective rooms. He turned his attention back to the heads of the home and grinned.

Adelaide sat beside Hugh, her own glass of wine now between her fingers. She smiled, leaning her head on his shoulder. "I agree!" She echoed their sentiment. The Ricci wives had joined them now, the couples all lounging together on seperate pieces of furniture. Rocco took his wife out of the dip and signed to his youngest, who scurried away. After a moment, the young man returned, with a gleaming violin in his hands. He stood by the wide open space before the courtyard, and closed his eyes. He drew his bow across the strings and began to play a sultry, excited tune as his parents began their waltz. A band seemed to assemble from nowhere, the rest of the instruments echoing down through other parts of the house.

The couple glided together across the marble floors, twirling in and out of the sunlight. Rocco spoke first, in an utterly adoring tone. He stopped and knelt before Bria, kissing up her arm before pulling her down into another dip.

"I could not believe my eyes when I saw her. A vision from across the way. The sun was blinding, yet she stood, poised and cloaked in shadow. The market was alive with bodies and noise, but the whole world fell away when I looked upon her. She was dazzling--beautiful in a way I had never seen. Her eyes spoke to me. Come closer..." He leaned down and kissed her passionately, much to the chargin of the rest of the Ricci's. Adelaide blushed heavily at the open display and politely averted her eyes. Once the lovers broke apart, Bria spoke as their waltz resumed.

"I was still unknown, then. I was singing in any place I could find. I sang from my heart, for the joy of it. But that day...I was singing for him. Just a glance and I was aching. It was destiny. It was magic. I sang of love I was not yet knowing." They moved as one--fluid and graceful. A dance practiced many times. "That night, he appeared and seduced me. I gave into temptation then--body and soul. I have known only bliss since."

Adelaide was enraptured by the dance--and the story. It sounded so similar to how she and Hugh had met--how she felt for him. Adelaide laced her fingers through his and squeezed.
~

Fausta and her siblings all rolled their eyes as their parents began the tale again. But the feel of Duncan's hand on her leg and the wine down her throat put Fausta in a good mood. She continued to ignore the glares from her eldest brother, pretending not to feel his stare pinned to her back. It was fun, to see her friends so captivated by her family. Her parents certainly were eccentric.

She turned her eyes away from the dance to watch Paolo play. The boy was bathed in sunlight, his eyes closed. An expression of peace and joy was blanketed over his features, as the sweet music poured from his fingers. She smiled. It was good to see him so vibrant and happy. Turning back, she placed a teasing kiss just under Duncan's ear, then pretended to be ignorant of his sharp breath. She sipped her wine and watched her parents with a faintly amused face.

Their dance was seductive, a clear example of the familiarity the two lovers shared. Hugh watched the Ricci head's of house with curious eyes, taking in every touch and glance. Their words wove a story that was completely unfamiliar to Hugh. Such was his wonder at the idea of a marriage such as this, that Hugh found he could not look away at the kiss. The violin was accompanied by other sounds from around the house and Hugh wondered what it would be like to have a musical staff, certainly it was something that Duncan would look into should the man ever settle from his nomadic ways. As the story came to a close Hugh felt Adelaide lace her fingers with his, and he found himself brought back to the present. He glanced down at their fingers with a warm look in his eye. Rocco and Bria settled down in a chair meant for one, but it was clear the two would not be physically parted at this present moment.

"Bravo!" Hugh said looking back up towards them. "Truly a tale that must be shared many times." Hugh said, he did not notice the sighs from the Ricci sons and daughters at his comment. "I must say it is refreshing to see a couple still so in love. I fear in England that couples shelter their affections. It is rather hard to see love in a formal setting." Hugh said thoughtfully.

~

Duncan listened to his brothers musings only with half an ear, Fausta's small kiss had sent his mind reeling with thoughts of her. Flashes of moments on the ship moved through his mind and his hand tightened on her leg. Taking a deep breath in Duncan glanced around the room and found that Ezio seemed to be glaring at him. The look had Duncan's eyebrow raising in bemusement and he lessened his grip on Fausta's leg and instead threw his arm around her waist, holding her tight to him to see if a reaction was to be had from the brother.

"I find I agree with my brother, I too wish affections could be more openly shared in the rather gloomy country of England." Duncan nestled closer to Fausta and turned his attentions to Rocco and Bria.

Adelaide sighed happily, and encouraged by the Ricci's demeanor, leaned her head gently upon Hugh's shoulder. What a wonderful thing, to see people so in love. Hugh and Duncan voiced their opinions, Adelaide perked up. She turned to look at Hugh, smiling slightly. "Truly? Hugh, I must say I'm a little surprised. Pleasantly so!" She added quickly. Adelaide placed a kiss upon his cheek, humming a little.

Bria and Rocco laughed in unison. Rocco took a cigar from his pocket and chewed on the end thoughtfully. "See, amore? I knew these cousins of ours were food fellows." He boomed merrily, his voice echoing on the marble. Bria brushed her long hair aside, she eyelashes fluttering.

"I agree, darling. It is wonderful that they are so open minded. Though I was not putting anything past friends of our dear Fausta's." The Ricci wives were then formally introduced, and for an hour or two the whole group simply rested idly and chatted. As the sun began to burn the sky the color of bright flames, the dinner bell was rung. A maid came in to round them up, and as they walked to the dining hall, Hugh and Adelaide fell into step beside Paolo and Sophia, Ezio's wife. Paolo signed at them, and Sophia translated.

"Paolo is asking how it was that you two met." She inquired on the boy's behalf, chuckling. "He says you two look like unlikely lovers." Paolo and Sophia looked at the expectantly, the group now entering a splendid dining room, with a huge open terrace overlooking the sea. Gulls crying and waves crashing could be heard all the way from the table. Adelaide blushed rose at the question, and squeezed Hugh's hand.

"I think Hugh could explain that better than I," She confessed, smiling up at him with shining eyes.
~

As Duncan held her closer, taunted by her little tease, Fausta could feel Ezio's burning stare. She moved her hair over her shoulder and shot him a venomous look of her own, trying to get him to back down. The group chatted for a while, then were herded towards the dining room for supper.

"Fausta." Ezio spoke, "I would speak with you, now." He stood stiffly, a glowering look she knew all too well in his eye. Fausta sighed and kissed Duncan once more, bidding him to go with the others. The two siblings vanished into a different room, the door swinging shut behind them with a loud boom.

Maria and Gabriele fell into step beside Duncan. Gabriele sighed, shaking his head. "She has been 'ome a moment and already it begins. He took a swing of his wine, looking a little irritated. Maria ran her fingers over his back soothingly, then turned to Duncan.

"Tell me, what is it that you are liking about our dear Fausta? She is certainly a....how you say, acquired taste." She smiled fondly as her husband laughed.

The bell was rung for dinner and Hugh found himself quite hungry. His mouth watered at the thought of food. As he got up from his spot on the chaise he noted the room seemed to spin a little and realized perhaps he should not have had a glass of wine on such an empty travelers stomach. The pleasant buzz moved through to his limbs and the felt a bit heavier as they moved along down a hall. They walked along with Sophia and Paolo and Hugh found himself mesmerized at the fluid movements of the young boys hands. He laughed at the translation of unlikely lovers and scratched his chin thoughtfully when Adelaide suggested he be the one to tell the tale.

They found seats at the long ornate table, decorated with burning candles of varying heights and fresh leaves from the local greenery. The sea was perfect background noise to such a perfect evening. Hugh settled at the table with Adelaide at his side and looked across to Sophia and Paolo, Ezio had yet to join the table.

"Well that is a rather interesting question." Hugh began, his eyes flicking between the two, Sophia angled her body and brought up her hands to repeat his words to Paolo. "My Aunt Lydia had left me a rather interesting estate that I had spent some time in as a child. While I was there I took it upon myself to call upon my new neighbor and introduce myself." Hugh's eyes slid towards Adelaide then, considering. He did not wish to bear all of Adelaide's secrets since they were not his to tell. "Upon meeting Adelaide, it seemed my visit came at a most opportune time as a man had entered her household and was most aggressive to Miss. Adelaide." He reached over to her then, his hand resting over her wrist, thumb moving swirling slowly at the skin there. "With the help of the house staff we were able to remove the man, and since then we've become..." His glanced down at their joined hands and spoke with warmth in his next statement. "Close. She's helped me plan quite the party to introduce myself to the town. Sang like nothing I have ever heard before." He spoke those words proudly, it was not something Hugh would had much comfort in speaking about, but he found the wine most helpful to his cause.

~

Duncan was not surprised when Fausta was pulled away by her brother, he was a bit hesitant to leave her, but knew that she could certainly handle anything. He found himself joined by Maria and Gabriele and smiled at the couple. Gabriele related that this was not a one time occurrence and Duncan hummed in acknowledgement. He hoped that perhaps Fausta might confide in him. Perhaps there was more plotting that could be done to sway the man's heart and put a smile on the sap's face. Maria asked him a question then and Duncan laughed.

"I believe I have had the same said for myself!" He jested as they found a place at the table. Duncan made sure to save a spot next to him for Fausta and looked down to see his brother speaking more than he had ever seen him speak in a single evening. Duncan noted the rosy cheeks of Hugh and gestured to a servant and whispered that Hugh should have more wine brought to him. With an evil grin he watched Hugh accept the drink and take another swig. Turning back to Maria and Gabriele Duncan flashed them his most charming smile.

"Fausta has brought more excitement and adventure to my life than any war ever has. I've known her perhaps a month now and I must admit that there is no one who can scheme or converse quite like her." Duncan said thoughtfully, "A beautiful soul." He said loudly enough for the whole table to hear.

Adelaide blushed heavily and laughed as Hugh began their tale. He was obviously a little tipsy. Adelaide enjoyed seeing him loose, he was more relaxed and seemed...more content, somehow. His words were a little slurred, but full of warmth. When he grasped her hand, she linked her fingers with his, placing her free one over the joined bundles. A servant came and brought more wine for them, depositing the rich burgundy liquid into the crystalline glasses beside them. Adelaide leaned forward and placed another kiss to his cheek, using her gloved hand to gently push stray hair from his face. As he drank a little more, the food arrived, and after a moment tucking in, she continued in his place.

"Hugh has been a wonderful friend to me these past months. I like to call him my guardian angel--since he has saved me from stained dresses and unruly callers alike. I've no idea how I'd be getting on without him, in truth." She returned to her meal as she waited for a response. Hugh seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the fine italian food, much of which was grown on the Ricci lands. Adelaide thought again of how nice it was to see him a little more languid, though she knew that his headache in the morning would be nothing pleasant. After the first course was finished, Paolo was able to use his hands, and Sophia spoke.

"Your story is lovely, my cousins. Did you say that Adelaide has the gift of song? We must hear it before you return to England." As she finished, Sophia smiled "I think I quite agree!" Adelaide blushed heavily, squeezing Hugh's thigh with one hand and snapping open her fan with the other to hide her shyness.

"Surely, he eggaerates. I wouldn't dream of singing before the Madonna."
~

At their end of the table, Maria and Gabriele were quite entertained by Duncan and his stories. Indeed, Gabriele and Duncan were of kindred energy, both boisterous and jovial. They laughed uproariously at his tales and offered many of their own. Rocco and Bria joined their conversation as well. It was halfway through the second course before they were interrupted.

There was an enraged screech, followed by a long string of curse words in Italian. Then the slamming of a heavy door, and silence. A moment later, Ezio strode into the room, taking a seat next to his bride and kissing her on the cheek. "Forgive me for the lateness." He said plainly, before beginning to eat. Rocco stood and began to hurry out of the room, whacking Ezio's chair with force as he passed. The man coughed and spluttered on his wine, and Bria sighed heavily.

"Ezio, Fausta's just come home, why must you argue now?" The man rolled his eyes.

"You are always taking her side, mama. It was not an argument until she made it one."

Hugh sipped on more of his wine and hiccuped softly into his napkin when he had swallowed a bit of food too quickly. Sophia spoke of Adelaide's singing voice and Hugh's head nodded in agreement at the idea of her singing before the Madonna. Adelaide's hand had found his thigh and it took Hugh a few blinking moments to draw his attention away from there and look towards his lover.

"I do not exaggerate." Hugh said his blue eyes darkening, his voice most serious. "I think it is a wonderful chance to sing for Mrs. Bria. Have faith Adelaide, your song is truly beautiful. Perhaps you could sing the song we penned over our trip here. It is a lovely one." Hugh smiled at her knowing that Adelaide needed a small push, he was certain of her talents and wished to see her succeed. Then a screech came from outside the hall and Hugh jerked back in surprise his knife making a terrible screeching noise on the plate. He made a move to get up, ready to help but Ezio entered the room and Hugh settled back into his seat. Despite the fog of wine, he knew family affairs were not his to meddle with.

~

Duncan's ears rang at the sound from outside the room and when Rocco stood and rushed past Ezio knocking the man and making him spill and choke slightly, Duncan smiled. Deciding that he cared more for the woman then of what the family thought of his meddling Duncan stood and made his way towards the sound of the noise following Rocco. He took care to make sure the chair of Ezio was bumped by his hip as well as he passed and then picked up his pace to see what had happened.

Adelaide blushed at her lover's praise, forcing her fan back down to her lap so she could smile. "That sounds like a good idea, angel." She replied in a soft murmur. His support embolden her a little. Sophia signed to Paolo, who readily agreed, even offering to play for her in accompaniment. Adelaide was thrilled at the idea, smiling over at Hugh. Sophia then called over to the other end of the table.

"Bria! Adelaide can be singing, you know. She should sing for us, yes?" Rocco and Bria both looked up, and smiled. Rocco let out another one of his monstrous laughs.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea!" He exclaimed.

"I am thinking so, too, amore." Bria agreed, and Adelaide's heart leapt in her chest. Oh, god, she was so nervous now. "But they've only just been arriving. Let them rest first." Everyone returned to their meals for merely a moment before a scream was heard throughout the house. Startled, Adelaide made to stand as Hugh's knife scraped awfully against his plate in surprise. Ezio entered the room, sitting beside Sophia and speaking nonchalantly. Adelaide settled in her seat, a grim expression over her features. She knew all too well that Ezio and Fausta didn't see eye to eye on almost anything.

Rocco and Duncan then hurried from the room, each bumping Ezio's chair as they left, causing the man great irritation. Bria sighed in exasperation at her son's clipped response to her query, placing two beautifully slim fingers upon her temple, her lips pursed. Adelaide felt helpless, knowing her dearest friend was upset. She reached over and squeezed Hugh's thigh again, flaring her fan out before her face to hide her pained expression.
~

Rocco had reached the door to Fausta's rooms quickly--he moved fast for a little man--Duncan hot on his heels. Up two staircases, at the end of a winding hallway. He knocked gently on the door, calling through. "<Fausta? Darling? Are you alright?>" There was no response, and though he called again, the room remained silent. Rocco had a look of anguish on his features and turned, surprised to see Duncan there behind him. He sighed heavily, running a hand over his face.

"Forgive me, signor. I did not see you there." Rocco took a key from his pocket and weighed it in his hand thoughtfully. "I like to give my children privacy. But it has been many years since I heard her make that sound, and I am worried." He looked again from the door, to the key, to Duncan, before closing the gap between them and pressing the cold metal into the palm of his hand. "I am thinking that she would prefer for you to be beside her now." He had a melancholy smile, now. "Alas, she is too old to want the comfort of her papa.."

Adelaide whipped out her fan again and Hugh could tell from the furrow of her brow that the situation was not a mystery to her. Hugh looked around to the rest of the table, Bria sitting as she was, doing her best to be calm as the storm between her children warred on. The siblings, all looked weary of it, tired and uncomfortable with the energy that Ezio had brought into the room. Curious if he should do something Hugh thought it over for a moment before deciding perhaps it was best to let the Ricci's be in their emotions, but then the wine took hold of his inhibitions once more and he stood, his chair softly scraping on the carpet.

"Ahem..." He picked up his wine glass and looked at the family before him. "I know this may not be the most appropriate time for a toast." He looked meaningfully towards Ezio. "But even through this tension, it is clear to me that this family holds each other tightly. I see quite plainly the love you have for one another." He smiled at Bria then. "Thank you for having Adelaide and myself here and welcoming us into your home. There no place I would rather be, I'm grateful that you would take the time to listen to Adelaide as well, and the talent of her music." He lifted his glass then to the Ricci's "To love." He said softly, his brain buzzing.

~

Duncan could feel the burn in his thighs at keeping up with the clearly distraught father. At the door to Fausta's rooms, Rocco finally realised his presence and spoke to him. Duncan felt sympathy for Rocco and let his fingers wrap around the key in his hand. He smiled back at the man, his eyes alight with understanding.

"Thank you sir." Duncan began. He moved the key to his left hand and reached out to shake Rocco's hand. Their grasp firm, they held on for longer than was appropriate but neither man seemed to mind. "I would say that we both could enter, but I find I agree with you. I will do my best to ease your daughters heart." There was a pause as Duncan considered his next words, their hands still grasped. "I would very much like to make your daughter smile, I am realising that she has become quite important to me." Duncan smiled a warm smile then and they squeezed hands once more before letting go. Rocco stepped back and Hugh gave him a quick shoulder pat before turning and pressing the key into the lock.

There was the click as the bolt slid away and without looking back Duncan stepped into the room and closed the door behind him.

"<Fausta, my love.>" He spoke out in Italian, he knew when he found her all he wanted to do was wrap her in a large hug.

Adelaide made a small noise of surprise as Hugh stood and spoke. It was a kind gesture, but quite unlike the quiet man to do so. She found herself smiling gently, and was the first to lift her glass and echo his words. "To love.."

The Ricci's all seemed to be struck out of their weary, precarious mood at his words. Gabriele laughed heartily, standing with his glass held high. Maria raised her glass from her seat, shaking her head as she laughed a little, too. Sophia and Paolo lifted their glasses beside the couple. Bria lifted her head, and broke into a smile. She stood and raised her glass. "What wonderful words to come from our new cousins. They've only been here a short time, but Hugh sees much. To love." They drank, and after returning to their seats, the warm atmosphere returned as the meal continued. Rocco joined them soon after.

Adelaide leaned over and pressed a lingering kiss to Hugh's cheek. "Bravo, angel." She whispered into his ear. "You are simply magnificent!"
~

Fausta was curled up in her bed, hugging a pillow to her chest as she sobbed violently. As always, Fausta felt nothing in halves. Tears spilled from her eyes, and she was doing her best to muffle the anguished noises that tore from her throat. Her shoes were discarded by the bed and her carefully made hair was beginning to unravel. When the door shut behind him, the woman sat up a little, turning her face towards the intruder. At the sight of her lover, she quickly, tried to wipe away her tears with the heels of her palms, her makeup smearing.

"D-d-d-duncan.." She stuttered out. "I-I'm sorry, I--" Fausta dissolved into tears again, turning away from him in shame.

Hugh was relieved that his toast had gone over well. He had wanted to see the lovely family smile again and in return his own flashed and he drank. Then sitting he settled into his chair and regarded the last of his food. Adelaide pressed a long kiss to his cheek and praised him. He felt the warm rush of pleasure at her soft kind words.

"Thank you." He said happily. He looked up around the table and saw the setting sun in the distance. "It truly is beautiful here." He told Adelaide. "It's a clear enough night, we should be able to see some stars soon." Their meals were finished within the next moments and the staff moved about the room, clearing plates and placing small bits of cake as a replacement. Dessert had come and Hugh eagerly dug into the sweet treat.

"Have you any suggestions for our first day of activities tomorrow?" Hugh asked the table.

~

Duncan found her on a large bed and immediately felt empathy rise for her. Her yellow gown was rumpled and lifted, revealing her stockings. Her dark hair was coming loose and the tears that spilled from her eyes made his heart ache for her. He went to her, taking a moment to peel off his own boots before climbing onto the bed with her. She was turned away from him, heavy sobs racking through her shoulders. He made a noise of sympathy and drew her into his arms. She was nestled between his legs, her own legs resting over his thigh. The pillow she held was still tight in her arms and Duncan did his best to ensure her comfort.

"Amore..." He breathed out softly, his hand reaching to tuck away some loose strands of hair behind her ear. His head bent to rest against hers and he closed his eyes. "Cry all you need. I'm here." His hand moved to curl around her, holding onto her arm and running a comforting thumb along her skin. "If you want you can tell me everything."

Adelaide ate her dessert as she thought a moment. Placing her fork down, she replied. "Well, I would love to explore the city tomorrow. Maybe visit some shops or a museum. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll have to sleep in a little." She teased him, gently pushing some hair from his face. Though Adelaide had enjoyed their trip aboard the Starchaser, she was looking forward to sleeping in a real bed once more. Waking up to such a spectacular view would be wonderful.

"Is there anything you'd like to do, Hugh?" She inquired.
~

Duncan's kindness only worsened Fausta's fit, an for a long while all she did was cry helplessly in his arms. But finally, the tears dried, and she sat up a little more, using hr handkerchief to dry her face, she peeled off her stockings and tore down her hair, shaking the curls free. She turned to face him, her legs settled around his hips as she rubbed her face wearily.

"I-I am sorry, Duncan." She said quietly, not meeting his eyes. "I did not wish for you to see me so." She laced her fingers together in her lap and stared at them, thinking for a moment. "Ezio just...is getting under my skin. He said.. He said all the usual things. But--" She sighed again, waving her hands in defeat. "I am being sorry. You are not wanting to hear of this. I have been causing you enough trouble already."

"Yes." Hugh agreed. "I most certainly would enjoy a lie in. Travel does make a soul weary." He finished off the last of his cake and waved away a servant who had offered him more wine. He knew he was probably at his limit. "I think to wander and see some shops is a splendid idea. Let us plan to do that." As dinner wound down it was clear it had been a busy day for all those at the table. Gabriele and Maria excused themselves to bed and soon followed by Paolo.

"I think I too would like to head to bed." Hugh said standing. He bowed towards Rocco and Bria "Thank you again for the lovely evening." Hugh took Adelaide's hand and together they were led down a few halls and some stairs to their room by a house staff. Their room was situated on the third floor of the Ricci mansion. The room faced the see and a small balcony led outside to the salty air. Candles were lit sending the room in shadows and a soft orange glow. Their bed, was large and their trunks placed near the foot. Hugh took it all in a breathed out happily. His steps were a little wavering thanks to the wine but he managed to make it to the bed and sank down pulling Adelaide on top of him. His eyes closed and he smiled at the weight of her on him.

"Forgive me Adelaide, I fear I may have drank a little too much." He confessed to her, his hands moving up to cradle her against him.

~

Duncan let Fausta cry. She clearly needed it and he just held onto her, letting her get out her feelings. Finally when the tears seemed to slow and she was able to draw a bit steadier of a breath did she speak. Duncan listened, her words were hoarse as her throat had taken a toll from her sobs.

"I would hope that you could show me every side of you Fausta. Your tears and sadness do not scare me away." He said softly. "You are a woman of great feeling, it would be a shame if you felt the need to hide anything. I am sorry your brother made you cry however. The man certainly seemed to have it out for you. The way he scrunches his nose, I fear he will have wrinkles soon." He paused thinking and nuzzled her neck. "You have not once caused me trouble dearest. I'm happy to listen if you wish."

Adelaide laughed a little at Hugh's weariness, and when they bid their hosts goodnight, she laced her fingers with his as they were lead to the room. It was a gorgeous room indeed, full of fine fabrics and furniture, with the little balcony, too. Adelaide barely had time to bask in the elegance of their surroundings, however, before Hugh fell onto the bed, dragging her with him. She giggled as she landed on his chest. HIs eyes were closed and his face had a serene expression upon it as he held her gently. Adelaide kissed his nose once, then wiggled off her shoes, kicking them to the floor. She then set about kissing every inch of his face, giggling all the while.

"My love," She spoke softly "I do not mind at all, save for the ache in your head come morning." She kissed his nose again, and rolled off of him. Adelaide busied herself in undressing, and once she was finished with herself, she sat Hugh up and began to help him--untying his hair and his cravat, then beginning to unbutton his shirt. "You seemed to enjoy yourself thoroughly tonight, and for that I am so glad." She placed butterfly kisses upon his chest as the clothing fell away, and then gently took the garments and folded them neatly, placing them on the chair beside the changing screen. Before she continued, Adelaide had a small idea. She grabbed her hairbrush from her things and climbed up onto the bed.

Coming around his back, she pressed in close as she began to brush his hair with even, gentle strokes. "I am thrilled to be here with you, Hugh." She said, humming a little as she worked.
~

Fausta sighed as Duncan nestled into her, and her arms came up and circled his shoulders. She felt her defenses crumbling before him, with simple words at that. She pressed her cheek against his soft hair and began to speak. "Thank you, dearest Duncan."

"Ezio is being...unsettled at how casual our family can be. He is thinking that we should be more proper, for our status. He cares much about our reputation. My family has never been one to need for others opinions, you see. To him, though, it is being very important. So I am the worst of all of us, you see. I am unmarried, I am unladylike, and I follow my heart. Sometimes that is meaning travel. Sometimes it is meaning lovers. I am no secret holder, many people know of my ways. He is always getting on about how I am acting, because I am a woman. Gabriele is much the same as I am, but Ezio says nothing." Her voice grew thick, tears beginning to burn behind her eyes again. She pushed the feeling back.

"But this time...he was calling me a disgrace to our family name. He said our grandfather would be rolling in his grave to see me having a dally with an Englishman. It is my job, as the daughter, to continue our line in a pure way. It does not matter what I want. My life is to be simply a link in a chain." She gently lifted his head up and pressed her forehead to his, tears slipping from her eyes again. "But, dearest Duncan, I care for you. I care for you more and more with every moment, and I do not intent to stop. We are different, from my lovers before. You are understanding, yes? Am I making sense?"

Hugh groaned happily at the assault of kisses over his face. Adelaide's laughter was sweet and sent off little sparks in his heart. How on earth could there be such a beautiful place filled with such love and joy? Would this be possible back in England? His thoughts were interrupted when she began to undress him, and Hugh did his best to help her progress. He was a mess of limbs and clothes but Adelaide managed, and soon he was down to his bed clothes and comfortable. His blurred eyes looked around the room and he only noticed Adelaide when she pressed herself to the back of him and ran a brush through his hair. Hugh shivered at the touch, never had someone else brushed his hair before. It was intoxicating, the feeling of the bristles moving through the strands of his hair. Adelaide whispered her confession and Hugh made a noise of agreement.

"Truly. Adelaide, this place is more than I ever thought it could be." He trailed off, his eyes moving to the setting sun, as it winked its final beams of farewell on the horizon, glistening over the sea. The orange beams of light seemed to dance over the blue and Hugh breathed a sigh of content. Adelaide's brush through his hair was the cherry on top and he leaned into her. "I plan to spoil you tomorrow." Hush said softly. "I've naught courted a woman, but I feel as if I would get great pleasure in buying you many little things that make you smile."

~

She moved her arms around him and Duncan couldn't help but notice how perfectly she fit there. Almost as if they were made for one another. He listened carefully and found a scowl upon his face at the idea of Ezio's treatment of Fausta. Her head pressed to his and his hand came up to cup her face, his fingers catching the tears that fell.

"I understand... Never have I felt so connected to a soul before. If you were to stop I must confess I fear my heart might break. There is something here, between us, that I know we must explore further." Duncan said agreeing with her. "I suppose we must convince Ezio that his ideals would do more harm than good for you amore." He liked using that word for her, using her language. He let out a great dramatic sigh and pressed a kiss to her lips softly. "More meddling, to convince him that you are more than he thinks. And perhaps along the way we can encourage favourable emotions towards me." He gave her another kiss then and pulled away. "You missed my meddling at dinner, dearest Hugh is a little sloshed." He chuckled hoping to make her smile.

Adelaide had finished brushing his hair, and after placing it on the bedside table, she gently helped him lay down, pulling the covers up over them both as she cuddled into his side. With her chin on his shoulder, she laughed quietly, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "That sounds wonderful, angel." She cooed softly. "I've never courted a man before, but I think being spoiled on a shopping trip sounds quite fun. As long as I can return the favor, even if just a little." Adelaide wrapped one arm around his bare chest, relishing the feel of his soft skin. She yawned, blinking sleepily. "Remind me...I must check on our dear Fausta in the morning."

With the cool sea breeze rolling in from the balcony and the steady rise and fall of her lover's chest, Adelaide placed her head down over his heart and murmured. "Goodnight, Hugh. Sleep well, and pleasant dreams.." Before her heavy eyelids got the best of her, and she tumbled into sleep.
~

Duncan cradled her so gently Fausta nearly cried again. But she remained composed and kissed his brow. "Yes." She agreed "We will change Ezio's mind. ABout everything. What is it that we cannot do together, you and I? Nothing." She sighed and finally pulled herself from his arms, untying the ribbons on her dress as she crossed the room. When Duncan spoke of his meddling, she let out a hoarse laugh. "What? No! Oh, I wish I had been to see it. I bet it was being wildly entertaining, no?" She stripped off the dress and hung it over the changing screen before removing her corset and stockings as well. Fausta came back over and stole another shirt from Duncan's trunk with a sly smile, pulling it over her head and shaking out her hair before sitting down at the vanity.

The feeling of the soft fabric and his scent upon it comforted her. She gave a small smile as she began to properly remove her makeup. "I bet he will not be thanking you in the morning, though, no? Ricci wine can leave quite a headache." She giggled.

Hugh settled into bed next to Adelaide and curled his arm around her, he enjoyed how she fit against him and the ease that they had fallen into was wonderful. He liked the idea of her returning the favor and turned his head to press a soft kiss to the top of her head. Her body grew heady next to his and he could tell that Adelaide was ready for sleep, as was he. She asked to be reminded about Fausta and Hugh hummed his acknowledgement. He hoped that his friend was alright, but knew that Duncan was on the case. With a final yawn Hugh fell into a deep sleep holding onto his sweet Adelaide.

In the morning Hugh was greeted by beams of sun dancing over his eyelids. There was the squawk of seagulls and the rush of water over the rocks down below. The sky was a soft pink with dashes of lilac, like an artist had come and dusted the sky with his paints. A stretch took over his body and Hugh lifted his arms over his head and groaned loudly. Feeling his body move to life after the stretch Hugh turned to find Adelaide next to him. It dawned on him then where they were, and a smile moved over his features. He reached out then brushing his hand down Adelaide's side moving over the dip of her hip and back up to feel the gentle swell of her ribs.

"Good morning Adelaide." He whispered to her. "Lets have an adventure today."

~

Duncan chuckled at her resolve and leaned back against the bed and watched as she got ready for bed. He gave her a devilish grin when she took one of his shirts and decided he would follow suit. He stood and stripped down to comfortable sleeping clothes. his chest was bare and he stood only in his breeches.

"I supoose Hugh might have a few choice words for me tomorrow but I also feel he is most elated with our current situation." He laughed softly and fell back on to the bed, his arms above his head. He was at ease in Fausta's room. "Was this your childhood bedroom?" He asked. Duncan wanted to get his hands on Fausta again, and when she returned to the bed after removing her makeup, his arms came around her and he made a low grumbly noise as he curled into her.

"Tomorrow is a new day." He told her. Rubbing the stubble of his cheek against her neck, trying to make her squirm. "We will face it with a smile."

When morning came, Adelaide felt gentle hands ghosting over her sides. She made a small noise and pried her eyes open, slowly, as the light was harsh against them. When Hugh's happy voice floated to her in a whisper, she smiled, cuddling into his chest. His scent wreathed around her and she sighed, contented. "Mmmm...we can go in a moment..." She muttered sleepily. "Italy won't go anywhere..." She pressed sleepy kisses to his skin, nuzzling in between.

"How are you this morning?" She asked. "Did you sleep well?" The bird call and crash of the waves just outside faded in and out as Adelaide yawned. She looked up properly for the first time that moment, and was in awe. Hugh was beautiful. His long brown hair mussed from sleep, his bare chest under her hands. Hugh's blue, blue eyes were half lidded as he peered down at her, with a content smile upon his face. She was overwhelmed. "My angel from heaven..."
~

Fausta grinned as Duncan stripped down to his breeches with that knowing look in his eye. She responded to him as she finished up cleaning her face. "Si, amore. Though the decor has been changing since. This has always been being my haven." Fausta climbed up into bed with her lover, and squealed as Duncan snapped her up into his arms and tickled her neck with his rough chin. She laughed brightly, trying to worm out of his embrace until he calmed. At his soothing words, she sighed. "Yes, we will." For a while after the two spoke softly until they drifted off to sleep, tangled up together.

When the sun filtered into her room, Fausta woke, blinking the sleep from her eyes and yawning. She need only to turn her head to find Duncan beside her, still holding her tightly to him. Fausta chuckled quietly, and shifted so his head rested on her breast. Running her fingers through his sleep tousled hair, she murmured into his ear.

"Good morning, dearest Duncan."

She nestled into him and Hugh wrapped his arms around her. Sleep made her voice husky and and Hugh chuckled lightly at her.

"I slept like the dead, and strangely enough, my headache seems to not be too bad." Hugh told her, he caught her gaze then and realised she was looking at him adoringly, his heart skipped a beat at those olive eyes which all but seemed to shine with love. His breath hitched and a lazy smile moved over him. "I hardly would call myself an angel." He said scrunching his nose. "Perhaps a a good guard dog, like Tatiana or Oberon." He nuzzled her feeling so at peace and blissfully happy.

There was another sound from the birds outside and below them Hugh could hear the Mansion coming to life, with servants preparing for the breakfast, and tending to the family animals. A rooster cawed and Hugh laughed a little. His gaze stayed on Adelaide and his expression turned loving, following his heart he leaned forward and captured her lips in an energetic kiss.

~

Duncan woke to fingers in his hair and he groaned happily at the sensation. His eyes opened and he realised where he was. He grinned and turned his head and gave Fausta's breast and enthusiastic kiss before turning his head to look at her. His hair askew and sleep eyes, but a wide smile on his face.

"Good morning, might I say that you are the most beautiful woman in the world." He gave her collarbone a kiss. "Exquisite. A goddess." He kissed her mouth softly then. "I had a dream about you last night. It was very nice." His brows wiggled meaningfully and he laughed then.

Adelaide made a muffled noise of delight as Hugh leaned down and kissed her--his energy waking her up. She kissed back passionately, and for a while the two enjoyed the simple, loving action. Finally, they broke apart, and Adelaide looked at him with shining eyes, laughing breathlessly. "What a wonderful way to wake on the verge of our adventure. Thank you, darling." She hummed happily and pressed her nose to his before getting out of bed and moving to her trunks. "Oh, Hugh, help me pick out an outfit for today?" Adelaide inquired, looking up imploringly. She set out two dresses; the first, a white long sleeved dress with a predominantly red floral pattern and the second a forest green dress with quarter sleeves and an intricate vine pattern.

Adelaide let him consider the options as she continued to dig about in the trunks for the accessories to each outfit, smiling all the while.
~

Duncan was adorable in the morning, half weighed down with sleep. But he peppered her skin with loving kisses and murmured sweet words all the while. She returned his gentle kiss upon the mouth, and when he pulled away, she laughed. Kissing his brow, Fausta replied "You know I am being happy to make all those dreams of yours come true, amore. But that will have to wait until tonight, yes? We have much to do today." Before they pulled apart completely, Fausta cupped Duncan's face and gave him a deep, passionate kiss, until they needed air. She pulled away, then, grinning lazily as she slipped from his grasp.

"It is time to be getting ready, now?" Fausta gave him a teasing wink, and stretched slowly, the hem of his shirt coming up almost all the way to the tops of her thighs as she did. She turned and began rummaging about in her trunk for a dress to wear. "What will you be wearing today, amore?" She asked.

Hugh grinned at the sight of a blissfully happy Adelaide. She was alive with joy and excitement and it was quick to wake him as well. When Adelaide asked for his opinion for her outfit for the date he sat up and rubbed his eyes while she rooted through her trunks. Hugh considered the two dresses and scratched the top of his head as he considered. The green dress reminded him of their first dance together, and while perhaps the night had a few lows Hugh considered it a happy memory nonetheless.

"The green one." He said. "Green truly is a lovely colour on you." Hugh rose and bent to press a kiss to the back of her neck as she was still bent over looking for a few extra items. Pulling away then Hugh looked to his own trunks and pulled out a vest and white shirt with billowy sleeves. He did not wish to wear a coat on this day, and wanted to feel the sea breeze where he could. Next some tan pants and a light blue cravat that brought out the bright blue of his eyes. He set to getting dressed along side with Adelaide and donned his tall hat and looked at himself in the mirror for one last check. His long hair was getting longer still and he had pulled it back with a leather tie so that it remained out of his eyes.

"Perhaps I should get a hair cut soon." Hugh said thoughtfully, checking his vest pockets for his coin. Once he was assured that he had plenty to treat Adelaide with he turned to her and found her dressed. "Excellent!" He said jovially, offering her his arm to hook on to. Together they made their way down the stairs and towards the noises of the rest of the house. Down to the breakfast in the hall.

~

Duncan pouted a little at the idea of delaying his passions but quickly recovered as he watched her move through her things and find her clothes for the day. He sat back a moment his eyes wondering over her. Lingering on her legs, its pleased him that even though they were relatively new lovers he knew what spots to press and nip to make her dark eyes cloud with passion. Humming at the idea of her he too rose and stretched high to the sky.

"I'm not sure, I have some light clothes that might do the trick today." Duncan moved and found his own trunks and began to sift through the mess of poorly packed items. Duncan was never a neat traveler. He found a light grey set of pants and travelers coat and pulled them on over his underclothes. The grey coat had a few slits in the arms and in the back letting air flow through easily. He settled on a purple cravat and black boots.

"How do I look?" He asked turning to Fausta, lifting his arms and doing a spin for her to see.

Adelaide finished dressing beside her lover after he chose her gown, wearing a cream shawl, gloves and shoes with emerald accented jewelry, save her choker. They linked arms and as they descended the stairs, Adelaide replied to Hugh's murmur. "Oh, angel, I do love your hair.." She pressed a kiss to his cheek. "It would be a shame to cut it too short, it's really quite beautiful."

They had arrived in the dining room, where Bria and Rocco sat at the head of the table, both wrapped in silk robes, obviously still in their nightclothes. The morning was bright and a crisp breeze blew in through the terrace. Gulls called and Adelaide could see ships heading to port. Their hosts smiled, and Rocco rose to greet them. He engulfed Hugh in a hug, then Adelaide after, causing the woman to squeak with surprise.

"Good morning, my dear cousins!" He boomed happily, gesturing for them to sit. "Come, eat! Did you sleep well?" Adelaide smoothed her skirts and sat as Hugh pulled out her chair, Rocco returning to his spot by his wife's side. Bria leaned down and gave him a long kiss, making Adelaide blush and avert her eyes.

"Y-yes, we slept quite well, thank you." Breakfast was a beautiful array of fruits and fresh breads--of all shapes and sizes, some she had never seen before. Also eggs and meat, with an enormous arrangement of coffees and teas. Adelaide served herself a modest portion and chose an exotic tea. She settled again as the maid went to brew it and smiled over at Hugh. He seemed so happy since they awoke this morning, it made her heart swell.

"What were you planning to do today?" Bria asked.
~

Fausta smiled, wolf whistling as Duncan showed off for her. "You are looking ravishing, amore." She teased. Coming over, she straightened his cravat a little, her fingers brushing lightly against his cheeks. "Purple is the Ricci color, you know." She told him with a smile. "You will be winning affections from my father like this." Fausta moved away, and settled before the mirror. She quickly twisted her hair up and donned amethyst jewelry at match him, dressing in a white gown with purple detailing and little purple shoes. After she grabbed her handbag, she smiled at him.

"Matching is very serious here, you know. This is the way we are telling my family that we are together." Fausta came close and nuzzled Duncan's cheek with her nose, his stubble scratching lightly at her skin. "Is that alright, amore?"

Hugh wondered for a moment at the idea of letting his hair grow and found that he liked the idea. As they reached the dining room Hugh grinned back at Rocco and Bria and found himself wrapped up in the small mans strong arms. He marvelled that such a man of standing could show so much compassion for those around him. He pulled out Adelaide's chair after her hug was done and the two settled into breakfast.

"To fall asleep to the sea each night must be amazing. I do believe that was the best nights sleep I ever had." Hugh said passing his tea choice to a maid who thanked him and went off to make it for him. He reached then for a roll of bread and peeled it apart so that he might put some preserves on it. At Bria's question Hugh paused and looked to her. She was certainly a woman of great beauty, comfortable in her own skin and glowing with content happiness.

"We hope to visit Genoa today, take in the sights and perhaps do a bit of shopping. I'm certain Duncan and Fausta will also be joining us."

~

Duncan let his neck tie be straightened and looked at the woman in front of him, he felt a warm glow in his stomach and and grinned proudly when she spoke. "I like your old man. Heart of gold it seems like." He caught Fausta's waist with a hook of his arm and drew her close. "It is more than alright." He said softly. "This is perfect." He gave her a squeeze and then pulled away. Catching her hand with his he chuckled as they made their way out of Fausta's rooms and down the many stairs to the dining hall. Already Duncan could hear chatter and he entered the room at Hugh's words suggesting the daily activities.

"That sounds most splendid!" Duncan interjected. He laughed when Rocco shot back up again and rushed for the two of them. Rocco took hold of his daughter first, pulling her into a hug that was so loving. Duncan caught the flash of surprise in Hugh's eyes before he too was taken into the mans embrace. Duncan squeezed back just as hard making the man laugh and when they pulled apart their eyes were shining with joy.

Duncan pulled out a seat for Fausta near her father and settled next to her and began to reach for a few delicious looking bits of meat.

Adelaide hummed happily as they settled in for their first meal. The food was delicious, and it was wonderful to see everyone relaxed. The maid arrived with the tea just before Duncan and Fausta made their own entrance, and Rocco was quick to scoop them up into hugs as well. The other couple settled by the head of the table. Adelaide and Fausta traded looks, which confirmed that her friend was indeed alright despite the last night's occurrences. Adelaide sighed softly in relief, picking up her tea and blowing on it gently before taking a sip. The new, strange flavors melted over her tongue and she found she quite enjoyed it.

"Fausta will be a wonderful guide." Bria said warmly "She is knowing the city here inside and out." Adelaide smiled, excitement beginning to bubble up within her.

"I'm so excited to visit italian shops! It will be so much fun--and I'll see what our competitors are making. Maybe I'll get a few new ideas for our own wares.." She sipped her tea again, then blushed. "O-Oh, forgive me. I know it's terribly rude to talk business at the dining table." Bria dismissed her apologies with an elegant wave of her hand.

"Worry nothing. You are free to talk as you please, of course."
~

Fausta laughed as her father swept her up into a hug, then Duncan after. As they sat, Rocco spoke with shining eyes.

"<Fausta, you are matching with him! Is it true? He is wearing our colors, how wonderful! Finally, my little girl is in love...>" She blushed madly and swatted her father on the arm with her fan. Trading a small smile with Duncan, she sighed, beginning to assemble her own plate of food.

"Papa, english, please. We have guests. And yes, we dressed together today. Duncan looks handsome in purple, no?" Rocco roared with laughed, hitting the table with his palm hard enough to rattle the cups.

"Si, si! He looks dashing, like me when I was young. A proper Ricci man always dresses well in purple." Fausta grinned, elated that her father was reacting so kindly. Gabriele and Maria entered then, her brother still looking half asleep. They sat across the table from Fausta and Duncan, giving polite good mornings. After a swig of coffee, Gabriele did a double take upon seeing the couple. He stood, abruptly, and cried out, one hand clutching his heart dramatically.

"What is this??? Fausta??? Is he the one??"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back