• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Black Sun [Earthdawn Interest Check] [Forum] [Dice]

Cthulhu_Wakes

Black Sun in a White World

There is a place Named Barsaive. Old and steeped in a rich history reaching back over a thousand years. It was a much more vibrant, lively place full of the light of wisdom and towering kingdoms. There was an empire, Thera, that ruled these lands and its people after years of growing need for magical resources. But that was before the Scourge, a time when unearthly, life-hungry Horrors flooded the world from the darkest parts of the Netherworlds and for four hundred years, the world was ravaged and changed as its inhabitants cowered below the earth in magically sealed kaers which protected some, but became the tombs of many as the Horrors were more cunning, more numerous, and more tenacious than anyone had ever predicted.

Magic permeates the whole world of Earthdawn. It literally defines you as a person. Everything has a Pattern. Magical items, your class (called, in and out of game, a Discipline), your Name, all is imbued with magic and your own ability to weave threads. In this world, magical items can grow out of your very own items you carry. Weaving a thread to an item—personal or an artifact of Legend—grows its own Legend or furthers an original one. The whole game is built around your own personal Legend. It grows as you grow and your name goes far and wide across towns, cities, Barsaive, perhaps even the wider, unknown world.

The Namegivers of the world (dwarfs, the most populous and forward thinking; orks, former chattel slaves and reclaiming their lost nation of Cara Fahd; humans, diverse and handy as ever; t’skrang, the flamboyant lizard folk of the Serpent River; obsidimen, the strange and wondrous elemental beings; elves, proud, old, and shattered as a cultural whole; trolls, noted raiders and philosophers; and windlings; two foot tall winged humanoids who find constant joy in all things) sheltered in their kaers and citadels, waiting out the horrors and Horrors for 400 years. The Theran Empire, the literal center of magical might in the world had given them the means to know when the world would become safe again—a simple spell, a ball of True earth suspended over True water, slowly descending as the magical flush of the world faded. Less magic meant less ability for the Horrors to sustain themselves in the world and thus driving them out, when suddenly, 400 years into what was thought to be 500 years of Scourge, the ball in each kaer had suddenly stopped. Hovering an inch over the water, the world’s magical field stabilized.

People, cautious at first, broke into a fiercely changed and wounded world. Horrors still skittered about, feeding on the pain and suffering of Namegivers, but this was a world to be retaken. The regain the glories lost and to see the sun again. So, fast forward a century to the present day. War has settled on the land as Thera has come to reclaim its province and the mighty dwarven kingdom of Throal has rallied the province against their tyranny. There are kaers to rediscover; Horrors remain in the ruins of the world, waiting to feed, for souls to take; great national intrigues; a whole world to rediscover in Barsaive alone. What shall your Legend say of you in the centuries to come?

This is the elevator pitch I almost always use when presenting new people to this marvelous, under-represented game. Earthdawn is one of my old loves in my career as a gamer. One of the Ur Fantasy games and a great response to D&D and its tropes.

Just looking for interest right now. This game won't go up until mid- to late June, maybe later. A new Edition will hit in early-late July, but that won't stop me from running a game. It will start with a group of Adepts just opening their kaer to Barsaive. A nice way to introduce people to setting and elements with little fuss in perhaps the most classic intro campaign for Earthdawn.

Any and all questions about the game, system, setting, lay 'em on me.

@Inquisitor Muhaha

Oh Sweet Jesus, I love Earthdawn--I only have 2nd ed. But I would love to get in. I see 4th ed got a KS and is due out in Aug.

It does look interesting, and I've also never played Earthdawn. Is there a PDF we could look at to get a better feel for the mechanics?

You know I'm interested. Still thinking about that Weaponsmith character that we've talked about.

I'm in, thinking of a Nethermancer, or that crazy Orc Thief with Greatsword build Panda suggested.

I /was/ thinking a Nethermancer...

And then I found hte Horror Stalker, and am now in love. I don't even know how the Mechanics work, and I'm in love with the concept of a Horror Stalker.

Holy crap, Earthdawn. I've never gotten to play so I am interested as I've used plenty of the fluff for my IRL Shadowrun campaign.

You know I have never ever looked, can the dice roller here do multiple dice at the same time say a d20 and a d4, that sort of thing happen in ED.

Shadowrun is a blast--I'd love to do a Human Scout, as cool as the other races are Versatility rules the house.

SephirothSage said:
I /was/ thinking a Nethermancer...
And then I found hte Horror Stalker, and am now in love. I don't even know how the Mechanics work, and I'm in love with the concept of a Horror Stalker.
Horror Stalkers are so cool, in a very long running game many years ago (we played 10-12 hours every Sat for 3 years--back in the days when I had that kind of time) one of the long running characters along with mine was a Dwarf Horror Stalker---He and my Warrior, who was a Lightbearer, ended up sacrificing our selves so the rest of the group could escape a Horror that was far worse than we had been led to believe.

The mechanics of the game are simple once you learn them and while it is a bit odd the Step system is one of my favs. The advancement system is way cool, and the way your magic items (if you get them) can grow with the character is way IMHO--it was also rather revolutionary back in 1993 when the 1st ed. came out.

I will need to do a bunch of reading before I create a character, but if this is a ways off, then I don't see why not.

Skrakes said:
I'm in, thinking of a Nethermancer, or that crazy Orc Thief with Greatsword build Panda suggested.
You would. :P

Also! Ware the Horror Stalker. Skrakes and I have jabbered on about this game at length and have both come to the conclusion our esteemed Panda (http://pandagaminggrove.blogspot.com/p/earthdawn.html) has as well: it'd really be better as a prestige class. They are dangerously limited in a lot of ways. However, they're pretty damned cool, too.

I sincerely didn't think this'd draw that much interest. I'm very, very happy to be proven wrong!

[need for 4th Ed intensifies]

What about a Nethermancer-Horror Stalker? It would end up being a kind of Fighter Mage-type thing, but... I'd like that.

Or- Hmm.. I need the book and the stats to do much more, I think.

Also, @hellrazoromega reminds me--the number of humans in this game will be limited. I will not negotiate that at all. You'll figure it out as you read. There are ton of races and I will not have a random band of merry humans because everyone wants Versatility*.

@SephirothSage I'd say for the moment, pick a Discipline and we can work details from there. There's plenty of time to read through things and work out whatever concepts. No need to multi right out of the gate!

*Most broken Racial Ability in the game. Not entirely broken, it has its limitations, but that doesn't stop most groups.

I /was/ thinking Human without any knowledge of the Racial.... Mainly because if I'm going to Multi I figure something /named/ versatality would be good.

Hmmm, need to see what I have stashed in my rpgs caches. I wanted to try something non-human anyway. Kinda amused by an Obsidiman if not something else like an elf or dwarf. I think those were in there...

SephirothSage said:
I /was/ thinking Human without any knowledge of the Racial.... Mainly because if I'm going to Multi I figure something /named/ versatality would be good.
Versatility, as of 3rd Ed, works thusly:

• Available only to Human Adepts
  • Starts at Rank 0
  • May learn one Talent from another Discipline per rank in Versatility (1-15). No more Talents than Ranks in Versatility.
  • Pay Legend Points at the same cost as the Discipline and at the rank it learns the Talent (say learning Second Attack from a Swordmaster, who attains that at Eighth Circle (read: level). You pay Eighth Circle Legend Point costs as the Swordmaster would.)
  • Must be taught the Talent by a member of the Discipline at the appropriate Circle who has the Talent. Training time and cost to learn the Talent are dependent on GM's preference.
  • Cannot learn a Talent from a Circle greater than your highest Discipline Circle.
  • Talents gained through Versatility and Versatility itself, do not count toward advancement in consideration of attaining higher Circles in your Discipline.
  • CAN learn Thread Weaving and Summon Talents other than those of current Discipline (book gives example of Wizard learning and improving Elementalism thread weaving).

And then there's the Talent Option boojum. Think that's everything. I have no idea if they'll change anything for 4th Ed.

And we shall be playing Fourth Ed, folks. It's out in about a month or so and I'd like us all to start with a fresh footing. That said, none of the editions have changed the basic story of the game and would highly recommend if you can swing by Panda's site linked above or the FASA Blog: http://www.fasagames.com/blog/?category=Earthdawn where they're showing off some 4th Ed changes to Talents and the like, it'll help.

I am here for ALL questions and concerns. Hell, we may even run the time in the kaer using 3rd Edition. It's not too bad to learn and should fit well enough in 4th Edition rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back