Experiences The big list of overdone RP cliches.

Okay, okay. I know what you're gonna say, since I sport an anime profile picture, but I DON'T use pictures for my characters.

Now that that's out of the way...

Gotta agree with this flag-nabbin post whole-heartedly. Tired of those overdone cliches that plague this community. Here's another cliche to add to the pile:

-A character that has an OP power or something BUT has a weakness, even though the weakness isn't a weakness at all. (Ex. Has the power to control the universe but is very shy.)

Just curious, what was everyone's first roleplay like? XD

Gonna be honest, mine was Warrior Cats on a Roblox chat wall like.... Six or seven years ago. I still remember the roleplay, as embarrassing as it was.

Gonna be honest, mine was Warrior Cats on a Roblox chat wall like.... Six or seven years ago. I still remember the roleplay, as embarrassing as it was.
Roblox...during the FNAF craze...

Jimmy didn't survive the napalm...

I used to be
*(Basic Action)*
ex: *Screams*

But then...What's this?
My writing skill is evolving?!

*Pokemon song...thing...*

Congrats, your Incompetent (I can't remember how old I was)
Has evolved into- Slightly less incompetent teenager.

I'm pretty sure I've always posted in third person limited writing style, which probably explains why doing first person roleplays are so hard for me.

LMAO SAME Except I did Warriors Cats on Club Penguin *Shudder*

But to stick to the OG point, I'd say a big cliche is abusive parents. No character seems to have a normal family life [guilty]

• Mute/nonverbal characters who are telepathic.
  • Heterochromia (2 different-colored eyes)
  • "Assassins", especially in modern contexts.
  • Parents/caretakers dying in vehicle crashes. I mean, can't you at least dispose of them creatively?
  • Every character is a conventionally attractive white kid who's good at everything but is constantly bullied for some reason.
  • "Moon Goddesses", either worshipping one or being one.
  • Personalities along the lines of "selfish, but would do anything for their friends/lovers. Don't mess with them because they're a sadist/psychpath, but also they're deeply empathetic and caring. Doesn't trust anyone except the 15 other characters they constantly overshare their backstory to."

I used to do warrior cats roleplay in these weebly websites.

*sighs* It went a bit like this. *finishes typing and presses the post reply button*

A cliche that I hate (in general tbh) is the weak-little-cute-innocent-lessthan13-child. They're just so annoying and like every time I see them they remind me of Angel (maximum ride) and I HATE Angel

A cliche that I hate (in general tbh) is the weak-little-cute-innocent-lessthan13-child. They're just so annoying and like every time I see them they remind me of Angel (maximum ride) and I HATE Angel

Oh, god... those characters.

I don't even hate young characters. I think they can be super fun, especially if they have something to make up for their low strength and maturity.
I just despise the ones who contribute nothing and have to be constantly dragged around by the rest of the party.

I don't even hate young characters. I think they can be super fun, especially if they have something to make up for their low strength and maturity.
I just despise the ones who contribute nothing and have to be constantly dragged around by the rest of the party.

how about a 13 year old rogue, spellcaster or squire in a fantasy game? they have some skills that are useful in combat and possibly other utility skills.

The jig is up boyos!
-Speeds off-

Im guilty of that- in mutliple rps when I was beginning. Mainly because I wanted to see how it would work being the weakest character in the hero/ power acaremy thingy. The feeling of hopelessness and uselessness would be CRUSHING.

at least, thats how I planned it.

I would say another trope would be: characters are way too heckin nice...

I mean, NO ONE would at least do selfish things?
I mean, I had a character who's main purpose was to be a holdback for the group to "see what they would do." in an academy of powers rp. Essentially; I wanted to cause an inner conflict...

NOPE.

It was like someone trying to swim with a cannon ball attached to their leg, and blaming themselves for not being strong enough...

I've seen them done well and done poorly. It all depends on the writer, really.

said characters were team players, did not go out of their way to become a nuissance to their companions, instead going out of their way to make themselves useful, and the characters weren't completely inept at combat, at least they could defend themselves well enough to contribute to most fights. whether by fighting dirty and dishonorably, or by using magic of the subtle and mental variety. in other words, i play the youth that actually works along side their companions and works on making themselves useful, by using talents their smaller form and youthful vigor are better suited to, such as being a rogue, a dexterity based warrior, or a magic user.

said characters were team players, did not go out of their way to become a nuissance to their companions, instead going out of their way to make themselves useful, and the characters weren't completely inept at combat, at least they could defend themselves well enough to contribute to most fights. whether by fighting dirty and dishonorably, or by using magic of the subtle and mental variety. in other words, i play the youth that actually works along side their companions and works on making themselves useful, by using talents their smaller form and youthful vigor are better suited to, such as being a rogue, a dexterity based warrior, or a magic user.

That actually sounds really cool! A lot of my favorite characters i've played are under 15, actually. I think that younger characters have a lot of potential, but it needs to be used carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back