• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Beast of Tarulos (Open)

Casey Jewels

Roleplay Type(s)
RP: Fantasy - The Beast of Tarulos
CS: Fantasy - The Beast of Tarulos CS
OOC: Fantasy - The Beast of Tarulos OOC

Hopefully I'm doing this right. I've RPed on two other (long-dead) sites that kept everything to a single thread, so this multiple thread thing is new to me.

Plot:

Four cities on the continent of Tarulos have been destroyed by a fearsome beast.

First it was the city of Okar in the kingdom of Akerta to the northwest.

Second it was the city of Pendilor in the kingdom of Sworbrent to the northeast.

Third it was the city of Norview in the kingdom of Moava to the southeast.

Each time the beast appeared without warning and vanished without a trace.

With a pattern emerging, the leaders of the five kingdoms and their elite forces gathered near the next possible target—the city of Castershire in the kingdom of Tireth to the south—to slay the beast; yet it was they who were killed, and the city was subsequently destroyed.

One city per country, in a circle around—that has been the pattern thus far. If the pattern holds, the kingdom of Varnor in the southwest would be the next to have a city destroyed—most likely Shenvale. However, with the loss of the kingdom leaders and their elite forces, there seems to be little that can be done to defend against future attacks.

In Kestmore, the capitol city of Varnor, a young mage has sent out the call for those who dare to face the beast. If wanting to defend the land isn’t reason enough, a large reward is also being offered.

The world of Tarulos will fall without heroes. No matter the reason, are you willing to fight?

World/Other info:

I know I threw out a lot of place names in the plot, but hopefully it isn’t too confusing.

Feel free to create characters from any of the five countries, good or bad. While my two good characters will be starting out in Kestmore, yours don’t have to start there. However, I would suggest coordinating with someone else if your character is going to start elsewhere, just so you’re not RPing alone.

I’m playing two of the three main villains, but there is a third I would appreciate someone taking. She’s unnamed, but (once I get the CS thread going) you’ll want to reference the profile for my character Makita. I am willing to make some changes to Makita (mostly her history) in terms of this third villain, so don’t feel like you have to fit her into a box.

On the note of villains, it is thought by most in the land that there is only one beast/main villain. Also, I specified I'm playing main villains for the fact I have no problem with people creating unrelated minor villains.

I did create a map to help keep things straight, but I want to be very clear in that this map is flexible. The map itself is very sparse on info, just listing the places mentioned in the plot/my character’s profiles (again, once I create that thread). I don’t plan on constantly updating the map, but if you come up with important locations you want me to add, feel free to ask.

One note, with the map, though. I am picturing a warm climate for the south (there being a swamp and a ring of volcanoes). Other than that, I’m basically making things up as I go, so don’t be afraid to do the same.

Map:
Tarulos-Map-for-RP.jpg
(hopefully this link works, as the website I uploaded it on is acting weird for me)

Magic:

Magic starts out as a murky gray, gaining a color as one’s skills and power grows. The purer the color, the more powerful the magic/mage. Color can be determined by one’s personality, family, race, or branch/specialty, though there is no hard rule to it. Words are not needed but can be used to focus the spell.

Many races have an innate specialty (a siren will always have the ability to bewitch others with their voice), but others simply have branches of magic they are more likely to be skilled with (many sirens are skilled with water or storm magic, but it is not a guarantee). Even with these branches, though, one’s magic can still be weaker—it is simply the type of magic one is best at. Along with this, not all those born with a large potential reach it, as becoming skilled in magic takes hard work and study. It also isn’t unheard of to be born with no magic at all (outside of innate abilities).

While all races must work to reach their magic potential, those born with one of their race’s natural branches will display signs of it at a younger age than those who have a branch unrelated to their race.

Humans have no specialty and no pre-determined branches. Despite their large population, humans have one of the lowest percentages of magic users, and even fewer become truly powerful. With no natural branches and with weaker magic overall, many never discover a branch. Also, with this weaker magic, they take longer to gain a color to their magic, if they gain one at all.

An important note, while I’ve talked a lot about branches, the magic system is meant to be simple. If one has magic, one can do any type of magic. As mentioned, a branch is simply what one is better at. Also, items can be used to help enhance magic.

Rules:

- I prefer no swearing, but don’t go past the PG level. I’m more lenient on violence, but I don’t need every graphic detail. No sexual content.

- With the pace, try to check in at least once a day, but if nobody is waiting on you to post, you can go a few days in-between. As for the length, at least a short paragraph (about 4 sentences). I’m not expecting anything crazy, as I do work full-time and it’s been awhile since I’ve RPed, but I don’t want to be waiting days for a one sentence response.

Any questions or the like?

I'd like to know at least one person is interested before posting up the Character Sheet thread, as I don't want the awkwardness of creating the thread just for nobody to care. :P

Last edited:
Bump.

I also want to say, I know the plot seems simple, and maybe that's why nobody has responded (the other reasons being none of you know me/this thread has been lost in the mass of potential RPs), but there is more going on than just a beast attacking. It would help if I had my character's profiles up, but, again, I want to wait until I have at least one person interested before I go ahead and post a whole thread for it.

While simple, this sounds interesting enough to me. Though I have only two questions:

1. Is this still open for acceptance?
2. Any race limitations?

While I am a bit new to text role-playing, and to the site, I'd certainly pitch in, so long as you're fine with me asking a few questions or maybe making a few mistakes on occasion.

Thanks for showing interest! Yes, it is still open.

This is a high fantasy world, so no race restrictions. I'll post up the character sheet thread now that I've gotten at least one response.

No worries with being new. I'm still figuring out this site myself. As for your RPing skills, I don't mind you being new at the text portion. We all start somewhere.

Hi, this seems very interesting! Is it possible for me to create a princess for one of the destroyed kingdoms? Like a last survivor sort of deal? If not that's alright, I can figure something else out but that's what I'm most interested in!

Hi, this seems very interesting! Is it possible for me to create a princess for one of the destroyed kingdoms? Like a last survivor sort of deal? If not that's alright, I can figure something else out but that's what I'm most interested in!
Go right ahead! Just remember, the kingdoms themselves haven't been destroyed, but just the one city plus the leaders. With that last bit, I left it somewhat vague on purpose in the plot, in case anybody wants to do what you're doing. There should be some chaos over who is in charge/if they're fit to rule/etc., as the loss of the leaders is a recent thing, but I have no problem with royalty characters.

Alright so if it's alright, I'll make a princess of Sworbrent, her father being one of the leaders at loss.

Probably should have asked how a foreign group of serpentine hunters would have been for the group? Ooops. Well, he's in the character thread anyway!

Probably should have asked how a foreign group of serpentine hunters would have been for the group? Ooops. Well, he's in the character thread anyway!
No worries. I'm used to people throwing up profiles without discussion from my previous RPing days. However, I'm not seeing the post in the character thread, even with refreshing the page.

EDIT: That's weird. I just checked again and your character's profile shows up before some of the other posts made.

Last edited:
No worries. I'm used to people throwing up profiles without discussion from my previous RPing days. However, I'm not seeing the post in the character thread, even with refreshing the page.

EDIT: That's weird. I just checked again and your character's profile shows up before some of the other posts made.
Hmm strange. Wish I knew a thing or two about the site so I could have a meaningful response though lol

I really like the plot and world you made, I'm interested!
Are you still interested/working on a character?

As for everyone else, I'm still working on Makita's sister (as this week was/is surprisingly busy with real life stuff), but I hope to get the RP started early next week (thinking Monday).

There's still plenty of openings for new people/new characters as well!

Are you still interested/working on a character?

As for everyone else, I'm still working on Makita's sister (as this week was/is surprisingly busy with real life stuff), but I hope to get the RP started early next week (thinking Monday).

There's still plenty of openings for new people/new characters as well!
Sorry for the late reply! My school year is starting up a lot busier than I expected. Is it possible for me to join later in the RP? I don’t want to hold anyone up! D:

Sorry for the late reply! My school year is starting up a lot busier than I expected. Is it possible for me to join later in the RP? I don’t want to hold anyone up! D:
No worries. Yes, it is. Since there's going to be a lot of traveling/changes in location, it'll be easy to introduce new characters in. If you want, you could also create a character now and have them be alone for the first bit. That's up to you, though.

Giving this one more bump before starting the RP tomorrow. There's still plenty of room for more people to join!

To add a bump of my own as well as get a question answered: how long should I write a response? I can easily do a decent 4+ paragraphs/semi-paragraphs casually. But I'm sure forum RPs typically like a higher word count.

To add a bump of my own as well as get a question answered: how long should I write a response? I can easily do a decent 4+ paragraphs/semi-paragraphs casually. But I'm sure forum RPs typically like a higher word count.
With forum RPs, it depends entirely on who's running it. I've been in RPs that are tons of super short posts, but I've also been in a couple RPs that require a decent-sized post each time. For me personally, I like the minimum to be in the middle (I went with four sentences for this RP), both for the times that a long post isn't needed, and because I don't want people to feel forced to add in a bunch of stuff just to reach the minimum length requirement. If you want to write longer posts, go for it.

Again, I haven't RPed in years (though I've been working on novels, so I think I've kept up on my writing skills), so I wanted to take things somewhat easily with getting back into the RP world. I know four sentences isn't much for a minimum amount, but sometimes that's all I need for a post (especially if my sentences are longer with a lot of info/action in them).

This is probably too long of an explanation, but... That's my thought process behind the length requirement I chose. :P This RP is meant to be fun, rather than cause people to stress about if they wrote enough.

With forum RPs, it depends entirely on who's running it. I've been in RPs that are tons of super short posts, but I've also been in a couple RPs that require a decent-sized post each time. For me personally, I like the minimum to be in the middle (I went with four sentences for this RP), both for the times that a long post isn't needed, and because I don't want people to feel forced to add in a bunch of stuff just to reach the minimum length requirement. If you want to write longer posts, go for it.

Again, I haven't RPed in years (though I've been working on novels, so I think I've kept up on my writing skills), so I wanted to take things somewhat easily with getting back into the RP world. I know four sentences isn't much for a minimum amount, but sometimes that's all I need for a post (especially if my sentences are longer with a lot of info/action in them).

This is probably too long of an explanation, but... That's my thought process behind the length requirement I chose. :P This RP is meant to be fun, rather than cause people to stress about if they wrote enough.
That's very convenient to me, since I'm trying to ease my way into this new, slightly more demanding medium for roleplay. I hated having to scrape my mind for fodder details to fill in the word count that couldn't affect the story more in the few Discord servers that did enforce a longer response average.

Hopefully as it goes on I'll get more comfortable writing out longer paragraphs that can hold up to everyone else's, but again I think I shouldn't be too hard on myself in the beginning.

And if you wanna answer-- what type of stuff ya' writing lately? I'd love to hear!

That's very convenient to me, since I'm trying to ease my way into this new, slightly more demanding medium for roleplay. I hated having to scrape my mind for fodder details to fill in the word count that couldn't affect the story more in the few Discord servers that did enforce a longer response average.

Hopefully as it goes on I'll get more comfortable writing out longer paragraphs that can hold up to everyone else's, but again I think I shouldn't be too hard on myself in the beginning.

And if you wanna answer-- what type of stuff ya' writing lately? I'd love to hear!
Don't worry. I understand that pressure of wanting to do well. The more you RP, the less pressure there is as you get comfortable with it--at least, that was my experience in the past, and I see no reason that should have changed. Of course, joining a new group/site always brings some of that pressure back, but you get more comfortable as you go.

I write mostly YA fantasy (which you can tell by looking at the ages of my two hero characters :P ). To keep somewhat on topic, this RP is actually based off of one of my novels, which is further based off of an old collab with a friend (I want to be clear that this friend has no problem with me doing whatever with it, as her characters were easy to extract and everything else was my creation). The novel still has a long way to go before it's ready to be published (as so far I've only written the first draft, and it's not the current project I'm working on), but turning it into an RP helped me to refine the world/plot, so now I'm better prepared for whenever I get to revising it.

That sounds pretty cool! I've tried writing as a past-time in the past, but it never really clicked. Even in class, belying my pretty notable grades in English, I dreaded having to type out essays. Though I suppose telling a story and informing an audience are totally different matters, eh? Forget what I typed. It has no relevance :^(

Never in a hundred years had I thought I'd be into this type of stuff, I'll be honest, but to know that my first forum RP is in the world of an author is even less believable. I hope that we can give you some good content to help with the project.
Anyway, g'luck on your book, chum, and-- if ya' ever need someone to read a page or two for feedback... you got options *cough* (semi-joking, but let's not toss it out the window yet; I need new things to read).

That sounds pretty cool! I've tried writing as a past-time in the past, but it never really clicked. Even in class, belying my pretty notable grades in English, I dreaded having to type out essays. Though I suppose telling a story and informing an audience are totally different matters, eh? Forget what I typed. It has no relevance :^(

Never in a hundred years had I thought I'd be into this type of stuff, I'll be honest, but to know that my first forum RP is in the world of an author is even less believable. I hope that we can give you some good content to help with the project.
Anyway, g'luck on your book, chum, and-- if ya' ever need someone to read a page or two for feedback... you got options *cough* (semi-joking, but let's not toss it out the window yet; I need new things to read).
Hehe. Yeah, writing isn't for everyone, though sometimes it is just figuring out your process. There's also plenty of people who enjoy writing with others but not writing alone, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I won't be using anything from the RP for the novel unless it's something I came up with/got permission for, but just writing with my characters helps to keep me inspired about the project, even if it's not in their canon novel. Also, thanks for the offer about feedback, but I'm a long way away from being ready for it. My first drafts are extremely messy (some writers call it Draft 0), and so right now I have a long list of problems I'm fixing for this other project and there's no point in anyone looking at it until said problems are fixed (especially because it changes large chunks of the story).

Important info for everyone:
Even though I went over everything several times, I somehow made an obvious mistake with Pendilor/Sworbrent. In the plot I had the city/country listed one way and then in the map I had it listed the other way. I've switched it so that it matches the map (and thus the character profiles). So, no changes need for you guys, but just an FYI in case anybody noticed it was mixed up.

Other important clarification. When this world was initially created, it was easiest for the story to have it be a single continent world and that's the way I continued to envision it, but then one of the characters accepted into the RP came from a different continent. I have zero problems with this, but because of it, it made it a little confusing as to whether Tarulos was the name of the planet or the name of the main continent. I am officially stating that it is the name of the main continent. Which means either the planet and the continent can have the same name, or the planet no longer has a name. :P If we need to give the planet a name later on, we can do so, but it doesn't seem necessary at the moment.

Also, I will be getting the RP started shortly, and will post up links to it and the OOC chat here once I get them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back