• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The bar wench from every fantasy tavern ever is the villain. And a demon.

RavenDaas

I'd like to thank Obsidian Entertainment's Tyranny released in 2016 for inspiring this story of mine, particularly the lovely character of K. Further inspiration is taken from the Nilfgaardians from Andrzej Spakowski's Witcher novels, which was the basis for Ilya's conduct during warfare. If there's anything that inspired me for Ilya herself: imagine if Sauron and Trotsky had a kid. This story is meant to be satirical of fantasy worldbuilding whilst still being a sensible, reasonable world with working laws and rules to it.

ILYA THE TYRANT had introduced herself to the world of men and fay in an unorthodox manner that would grow to be a staple of her regime. Where other self-proclaimed liberators would promise bread and wine and wealth to those who swore fealty, her promises were stays of executions and assignment to plantations and land clearance with promises that their children would inherit the land they worked. Unsurprisingly, few took upon these offers. Unknown to them were just how generous of terms they were: true, demons were a very real threat to the Mortal Realms, spilling forth from their portals to wreck havoc and procure prisoners for themselves before returning to HEL. These raids were disorganized however, not for lack of will and discipline on their parts as much as the randomness that allowed them to come forth, portals being torn open between worlds and allowing only the most brief of skirmishes before they must return lest they be trapped and killed in short order.

This was much worse.

Millennias of perpetual warfare and conflict had hardened demons into a brutal thing, arriving with firearms, cannons, halberds and pikes and developed unit tactics that made paltry work of the armies sent to rout them back to their homeland. Like so much scythed wheat, baronies, duchies, kingdoms, then entire empires collapsed beneath their mighty boots, preaching the liberation of the masses under their new ruler, the pettiness of human feudalism dissolved and the rise of ILYA'S PEACE. As much cause for war as philosophical and socioeconomical treatise, the people's liberator came to them with promises of land to work and direct participation in her new government, modeled after progressed, demonic rule of law. And she kept it. Though the crowds had initially pelted her with stones and insults and fruit they evolved into cheers and welcomes and opened gates in overthrown cities and townships once news of her sincerity arrived.

"A world where only the strong go in fear."

This could not last however glorious it was. Like most things, it came crashing down on a Saturday evening. THE CHURCH OF SAINTS had called upon GOD to deliver them, a mortal being to be chosen to rally the contentious-filled and rivaled realms of the world to defeat this threat before all was lost. They came. Ilya never had the opportunity to learn much about them, as their first encounter was on the battlefield, a coalition of the world's greatest forces assembled before her: armed and chained knights of the monastic orders, Elven archers and artillery pieces, Dwarven infantry and crossbows...it was the greatest army that the Realms had assembled in history. Each of them filled with the zeal and righteousness of their cause to defend their homelands and redeem themselves in the fervor of war.

Well.

They lost.

Logistics rarely stand up because of principle, and it wasn't longer before bickering over rations and camp space and who had the honor of leading the right flank added to the very real issue that the demons they were facing outnumbered them, had them beat for quality in arms, training, and leadership, and were supplemented by various volunteers to their cause.

"Not that anyone would know it."

Ilya had muttered the same words to herself hundreds of times by now. She, her people, and the surviving remnants of the COALITION FOR GOOD both knew it had been one-sided, and nobody else ever would so long as propagandists had their way. And they would. At the end of the day, she had been tricked, banished back to her home in a vicious, cruel trap created under the flag of peace talks. Now...

Now she was back where she'd started, and where she belonged. A hole-in-the-wall bar serving drinks, or in the back room, dragging from the hose of a hookah and letting smoke escape her mouth towards the ceiling, letting herself feel self-pity for lack of better things to do.

I'm fully aware of the somewhat scatterminded way this is written and how it doesn't exactly convey the intent of the story. In far fewer words, I'm looking for someone interested in warfare, economics, complicated nation-management, GMing, and worldbuilding. Ilya was banished to her home under vague circumstances, with only the bolded text to indicate canonical details as far as I'm concerned. At this moment, the mortal world hadn't fully thought through their strategy, and now has to deal with the vast droves of demons that now plague their land in a devastating, anarchic state of war similar to the Russian and Chinese Civil War. Countless factions of demons fighting for their own goals both personal and idealogical whilst the remaining and revived mortal realms fight for their lives against each other and them, attempting to adopt new methods of government and technology to keep up as best they can. Discord is cool. I welcome people of all genders and background, caring only that you're an experienced writer with an enthusiasm for what I've described.

Are you looking for a player or a GM? What do you have in mind as far as story goes? Worldbuilding?

Are you looking for a player or a GM? What do you have in mind as far as story goes? Worldbuilding?

Yes.

Less sarcastically, a GM, and, to expand on the text at the end of my post, the story would surround Ilya's return to the world by the hands of a disenfranchised faction that brings her back for (REASONS HERE). Most often in my head the reason being that (INSERT FACTION HERE) has become disillusioned by the state of the world and the pettiness of the lords that rule it, seeing their failure to reform despite Ilya's showcasing of their weaknesses as well as the very real reality that despite her departure from the world, what remains of her forces might very well overwhelm them and introduce a newset of regimes to the world that will be far less kind than she would be.

Essentially, 'She's a madwoman with questionable ethics, motivations and goals, but under her, the lights were always kept running, and her coming back could certainly not make the situation any more intolerable than it is now.'

For worldbuilding, I have inclinations of a pre-fourteenth century setting technologically for the most advanced of cultures / military forces in the world, with most humans struggling to catch up both in the organization, tactics, and weapons used by their armies, with the other non-human nations making use of generous magical, terrain, and other economical factors (such as not being utterly devastated and having the cream of the crop of their warriors being dead and all) to maintain a reasonable stability in their various homefronts.

Past that? I enjoy very creative, alien worlds that are as unique from our own as possible. Anything not specifically related to Ilya is stuff I cobbled together after getting inspired and is basically entirely open to change, including a total remake.

I welcome any further questions on any of these notes, or on entirely different ones.

Edit: If it means anything to you as a fellow from Sweden, Ilya's initial arrival to the world is somewhere in the realm of comparison to Gustavus Adolphus in terms of a military leader introducing such a severe advantage in tactics, logistics, training and weaponry over the foes they decide to make for themselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back