• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings The Bakker Case [IC] [Closed]

Prologue

• October 3th, 1922
    Arkham, Massachusetts.

It was a typical autumn evening in Arkham. The once green trees that were a common sight among the estates of the rich and powerful around Millhaven district were now a plethora of magnificent colored leaves, each slowly falling with each gust of cold wind. Among these estates was the Bakker estate, home to the well-known Belgian magnate Theodore Bakker and his daughter, famous actress Martha Bakker. The estate house itself was nothing but impressive and rather extravagant in design, even when compared with the other estate houses in the district. The inside of the house can only be described as convoluted, due to the large amount of rather exotic items found in each room which ranged from ancient and quite impressive foreign decorations such as African masks hanging from the wall, Meso-American jewelry and statues, and even a 13th century medieval armor in rather well kept condition. Other items ranged into the strange, with daggers of queer design stashed in protective cases and bookshelves full of books related to esoteric topics and written by rather unknown authors.

Up the stairs, Martha Bakker found herself in a near daily situation. Right after waking up from a well-deserved rest, she was applying her make-up while still wearing her sleeping gown. And as usual, her husband John Readings entered the room uninvited. He gave his wife a look of disdain as he approached her. "You were supposed to attend the Woodrow's art gallery, but of course, I find you sulking in your room. Looking at your own reflection." As John moved closer, Martha's eyes followed his movement in the mirror. "I already told you, dear husband, that today I will have guests over. I can't attend trivial things such as an art gallery. Specifically one hosted by the Woodrows." John crossed his arms, his eyes meeting hers in the reflection in the mirror. "You keep leaving me alone in these meetings. Everyone is talking about it. Don't you care about your reputation, Martha?" The actress shrugged, as she began to apply her lipstick. "...My reputation matters little when compared to more urgent matters. Today, I'll be receiving people that can help me find my father."

John raised his hand to his forehead in frustration. "Oh, for god's sake, Martha. Leave that to the police. They will find him. He's an old man, he might have gotten lost on the way here after his visit to Boston." Martha glanced over her shoulder. Her stunning blue eyes could make any man or woman stutter in place. "...You know my father was far from senile. Even at his age. Besides, the police found his car in Arkham." Martha returned to her mirror one last time, smiling at the results of her make-up session. She then stood, moving towards her changing room. But her rather stubborn husband had moved into her way, with the same look of disdain he had when he walked in.

"...Martha. I'm your husband, god damn it. You might not care about what others say about you, but I care about what they say about me." Martha chuckled a bit, before sighing. "...And what do they say about me? That I'm an adultress?" She giggled a bit at the thought. "...That I broke my vows before God in pursuit of earthly pleasures? You know better, John...I hate people." She walked past him, watching his expression change from disdain to anger as she entered her changing room. "Go to your little art gallery, and gawk at the Woodrows' antics all you want...I have more important things to attend to."

Meanwhile...

At the front of the estate, a taxi pulls to a stop and from it emerges a young colored woman wearing a rather elegant red dress. As the taxi drove away, the young woman approached the front gate and was quickly welcomed by the gardener of the Bakker estate. The rather old man looked at her a bit surprised at first, but eventually gave her a friendly smile. "Hello there, madam. Can I help you?" The young lady returned his smile, and gave him a nod. "Hello there, good sir. I was invited by madam Martha Bakker. She requires my services...here, let me show you." She then pulled an invitation from her purse, signed by none other than Martha Bakker herself.

As the gardener looked at the letter, another stranger approached the gates. A rather attractive man, of sturdy appearance wearing a fedora and a coat. He looked over the woman, and took off his hat to speak with her. "Can I ask you a question, madam? Is this the Bakker estate? I'm from Boston, so I'm a bit of a stranger to Arkham." The lady nodded while waiting for the gardener to speak again. "Yes, you are in the right location. Did Madame Bakker invite you as well?" The man shook his head. "I'm afraid not. She seems to be looking for private detectives and investigators. A friend of mine in the Pinkerton agency told me of her case, and told me to pay her a visit." As the two strangers talked with one another, another unknown began to approach the front gate of the estate. Seemingly invited by Martha Bakker herself or heard rumors of her need for private muscle.

Chapter 1
  • Thanks to Artem's insistence, and George's support, the group was now to split up and cover more ground. Brigitte seemed to disapprove of this, preferring to have the team together should they face specific odds someone like Li or George would be more ideal to solve. But alas, it seems the group has made their choice. Martha clapped her hand, startling and forcing Brigitte out of focus. "I can only hope that each and everyone of you will do their best in finding answers about my fathers disappearance. I'll have two of my chauffeurs drive you to whatever location you need, and should you ever need monetary help, you can always come to my manor and ask me directly. I'll be here most of the time... except Fridays. I play Cleopatra at the Metropolitan Theatre of Boston those days." As she finished speaking, she got up her seat and walked towards the stair case. Followed by her trusty entourage of maids. "...And please, if what Madame Dupont says is true, it might be a lot more than just crazed cultists." As she walked up the stairs, her butler approached the group and offered to guide them to the garage where the two chauffeurs would be waiting.

Inside the garage, the two men were having a smoke which they quickly put out as soon as the group walked in. Both men looked professional for the most part, and behind them were two Ford Model Ts in nearly pristine condition. "Uh... you'll need both of us?" asked one of the chauffeurs rather meekly. "I'm afraid so, I'm Brigitte Dupont and this is Wolfgang Hess... We'll head up the road to the Miskatonic University. Ms. Lei, Mr. Bennet and Mr. Artem will head to the Ma Belle Fleur Hostel." The chauffeur in the back raised his head at the mention of the hostel. "I am the one that takes Mr. Bakker there when he doesn't feel like driving. Please take your seat and I'll take you there." he said, while pointing a the car on the right. Brigitte then looked at Li. "Please be careful, even if it serves patrons in the high echelons of society, I am sure that place is still full of ruffians. But I am sure Mr. Bennet knows more of that." she said, while glancing at George. Both groups then got in the respective vehicles and departed from the Bakker Estate.

Chapter 1
    Coopertown, Arkham.
    The drive up the Great Miskatonic bridge towards the Old Town district was rather unremarkable for the most part, but those foreign to Arkham probably were able to tell the stark differences between the different districts. With the intricately designed houses of Catham Heights abruptly shifting to the common housing and apartment buildings of Mullberrow Lane. The sight of grime-covered factory workers and sweating sailors were also becoming a common sight as the vehicle passed near Wolfstack Harbour, and eventually arriving in Coopertown where the poverty of some of the houses was nearly unbearable to witness. Coopertown served as the segregated part of town, where the black population lived far from the judgmental eyes of middle-class white Americans. Even at this late hour, children could be seen playing around as their parents sat in front of their buildings talking with other local parents. Some of them eyed the vehicle with caution as it drove past them.

Once the car stopped, the chauffeur turned to look at Li Lei. "This is the building. You might notice it looks as bad as most of the housing around here. Just go around through the alley. There's a big guy there called Otis guarding the door to the club. I'm sure he'll let you through if you show him some cash. I'll be waiting here until you are done doing business." As the trio stepped out of the car, they confirmed the drivers statement, the hostel itself looked rundown for the most part, with the name of the establishment barely visible at the front the building. But the presence of lights from the inside shows that it was indeed still open for legitimate business. Perhaps to further cement the credibility of the establishment or simply to continue playing the charade for law-enforcement. At the side alley of the building, some men of color wearing suits can be seen talking to each other in a quite joyous manner, completely ignoring the trio of investigators as they walked towards the entrance to the club. Serving as a guard there was a rather tall, robust and quite intimidating man. Unlike the patrons outside, he was Caucasian and sported a quite bushy and badly kept beard. "Howdy there, can I help ya? ...Ya here to do business?" he asked cautiously, while also showing his side arm tucked between his pants.

Outskirts of Arkham.
    The trip up the road towards the University was quiet for the most part. Both Brigitte and Wolfgang found themselves surrounded by small copses of trees and other small woods at the side of the road. Brigitte always thought there was something strange about these groves. She felt as if something lived among those old trees, haunting them as soon as the night came. Staring at those passing by. But she quickly shoved those superstitious thoughts out of her head. The lack of conversation was affecting her now. She glanced over to Wolfgang after a moment. The priest was strange, to say the least, but he seemed to be a quite knowledgeable man despite his seemingly young age. "...What's your take on this case, Mr. Hess?" she asked, while looking back at the woods. "If you don't mind me asking. You don't seem very interested to be here. Why did you join this investigation?"

Back