• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings The Aspirant

The Errant [1-18]
"Couldn't have been easy without Anor," Arich said as the dragon's eyes regarded him with acknowledgement. "Every task goes a lot smoother with a good pair of eyes in the sky."

David nodded approvingly at Arich's compliment. "For sure, Arich. He gets far more accomplished from way up there than he ever could down here, especially when it's just for small errands like these. I'd say the same goes for the rest of our fellow Rider companions around Chorral. As a matter of fact, we've all come together and found things go much more smoothly in general if they spend more time in the sky, rather than stay on the ground, trying to fight things or be scary. It might take a while before everyone else agrees with that strategy, though."

"Arich," Anor slowly began. "With what we have accomplished tonight, do you think yourself ready to become a Rider, when the time approaches tomorrow?"

"I think so," Arich responded. "I mean, I don't think anyone can be prepared to meet their companion for the first time. I don't even know who or what they're going to be yet."

"Well, it's perfectly fine to be nervous about it," David said. "You don't know who your lifelong friend is going to be until sunrise, though, so just don't worry about it for now. Dragon or gryphon, I'm sure you'll both get along well." He hesitated slightly, as if he was going to add another possibility from there, but he quickly dismissed it before moving on. "It's going to be the most exciting day you've had in years. It's gonna be good. And if I'm not doing a good job of convincing you of that, then Corey will for sure."

Arich realized he had almost forgotten to say something else, and quickly interjected "Erm, speaking of Corey..."

David paused his saddle work for a moment and turned around. "Yeah, Arich? Is there something you needed to tell me about her?"

"Uh, actually, it was nothing," Arich amended. "Don't worry about it. I'll tell Corey when we get back."

"Sure thing," David said. "I've just about got the saddle ready, so one more thing I want to let you know is that since you're done pretty well during this mission, there should be something nice waiting for you once we get back to Chorral. You should have plenty of spares in the morning if you there's something in particular you've been wanting to get for a while. Once you've taken care of that, we'll find out who your new friend will be at noon. For now, just get some rest while we make our way back. Think about your future, what you're going to be getting in the morning, and whatever else hits your mind. Now, let's head off before those guys back at the mansion start searching around for their necklace."

With the saddle fully tied on, David and Arich carefully mounted Anor as he stood up, spread his wings fully, and launched himself skyward. Before long, the three were above the clouds and on their way towards Chorral.

The Errant [Conclusion]
Arich is one step closer towards his companion. Soon, ranger, soon.

Though Arich did manage to have some kind of interesting experience at the Maison Creue, he didn't exactly gain any innate knowledge, though he's found himself to not be that bad as far as subtlety goes.

At any rate, he would certainly remember to get something nice for himself at David's request, just to make sure he earned something as a result of his success. After assessing his options, Arich figured he could take a stroll around Chorral first thing in the morning, after he's decided what he's going to take with him.

What is Arich planning on getting himself in the morning?

A. Have Arich's current armor added on to with a
latest
chimera vest, a vast improvement from what he's currently wearing.

Chimera vests are highly protective vests worn by just a few riders. They are rare and difficult to make, requiring several dragon scales and the featherhide of a gryphon before they are magically woven together by someone Arich only knows as Syaeralith, who only ever sees and speaks to David for unknown reasons.
The vest will be able to stop several physical and magical attacks before they even get a chance to draw blood from Arich. It looks quite nice and is perfectly humane, using materials that have been shed or harvested from those who have fallen to old age.

B. Spar with Cenephar using the
latest
titanium cutlass Arich has been trying to get for a while.

Cenephar is a green drakir, one of the few who have the privilege of calling Chorral their home, and among the close friendship that David, Corilyn, and Anor share. He is well versed in virtually every form of melee combat and has a few techniques he can pass on to Arich.
The titanium cutlass is a weapon that flourishes with such techniques, equipped with a durable hilt guard and a wide, deadly blade. It can parry incoming attacks just by swinging into them.

C. Just get a
latest
longbow - and either make up a bullshit story about what happened to the other one, or just tell Corey the truth.

Inevitably, Arich will run into Corilyn at some point, prompting her to ask about the change of equipment. He'll either have to make up a story of some kind or just fess up about the arcane bow, hoping she won't be terribly hurt by either choice. Fortunately, Arich has seen Corey enough to know she's almost never prone to outright anger.
While the arcane shortbow required no physical arrows, it fired bright purple beams in a straight line, something Arich had found to be the most conspicuous trait of the weapon. The longbow is more traditional, and even if it is bigger and requires a quiver, the arrows it launches carry some real power and distance behind them.

D. Ask David about
latest
draklung, and take a few rolls of it.

From what little Arich has heard about draklung, all he can really tell is that it's some kind of drakir or draconic substance that when lit and inhaled, makes one feel more like a dragon. Well, that doesn't mean it'll make a person breathe fire, but perhaps getting blown in the middle of combat isn't as bad as Arich has made it out to be.

Other options, including spells and magical items, have been excluded because Anor's assistance was required and Arich is missing a certain bow from his inventory.

Inventory
latest
warp blade a sharp arcane dagger that lets you warp after hitting something
latest
lockpicks
for dishonest people or fledgling riders on a mission
latest
body armor
studded pauldrons provide a small but comforting amount of protection
latest
clothing
hopefully they'll still look good after this
Talents
latest
trained in combat knowledge of weapon techniques from rider training may be useful
latest
patient
maintain awareness and clarity of thought in chaotic situations. arich cannot panic
latest
elemental knowledge
arich dislikes using magic, but he knows a decent amount of earth and ice spells

Last edited:
C
Ehh we got a knife thingy already, and I'm not really interested in those other options.
I suppose we should tell Corey the truth if he does get a new longbow. The Warp Blade must've been hard to get, right?

Last edited:
The Rider [2-1]
Morning. It was morning, and only an hour or two before the sun would reach noon position.

Arich walked out of the Rider armory, satisfied by the choice he had made last night. There was a brand new longbow slung over his shoulder, a simple weapon made from high-quality wood and an actual physical bowstring. In addition to this, he felt the weight of the quiver on his back, complete with two dozen arrows. Though it would be a lot more for him to carry going forward, he figured it would ultimately end up being a better choice for him than the magical weapon he had been given previously. Arich was more familiar with the longbow than anything else he had used in the past, and now that he felt a more familiar presence in his hands once again, he could take on tasks with a lot more confidence in the future.

There was another issue he would have to deal with as a result, though. Inevitably, Arich would encounter Corilyn sometime before he would have a chance to see his new companion. She would spot him with his new longbow, and ask him about whatever may have happened to the old one. Considering how much effort the sorcerer put into her spellcraft when she wasn't busy reading or drawing, Arich wasn't terribly sure if he wanted to risk upsetting her, even if he ultimately came out with something that may have personally suited him better for what he had considered doing back at the mansion. Eventually, he decided to simply hold back his worries and head over to to see Corey immediately.

It wasn't more than a minute before Arich found himself in front of Corilyn's personal study, opening the solitary door to let himself inside. As always, the ranger remarked at how much smaller the place seemed on the inside, perhaps because of the fact that the study was really only a moderately-sized room, shaped like a hexagon and well-lit from the glass ceiling. Aside from the entrance and the very back of the room, which had a writing desk at it, the walls were all lined with shelves, each filled with various books about magic, the world and all the creatures on it, and the occasional fiction novel. Glancing a little higher, most of the walls also had some kind of painting or decorative artifact attached, though Arich didn't pay nearly as much attention to those as he did to the wooden pillar in the center of the room, which Corilyn had placed the strange amulet on while David was speaking to her.

"...anything so far, Corey? You said there was some kind of power behind it, but right now all I see in front of me is some fancy-looking necklace."

"That's all you've ever been able to see," Corey replied. "Eventually, I'll be able to figure out how this works without wearing it, but don't be surprised that I haven't discovered anything useful in the past hour. It's going to take a lot of work to find out how to pull off something like this without using any magic to get there, but if things don't work out I think I'll only be able to do this with Cen."

The sorcerer looks up from her thoughtful pose to regard Arich, who had been doing the same for several seconds. Despite what one would initially assume a skilled caster to be wearing, Corilyn often stuck with a more casual appearance, leaving her purple eyes and auburn ponytail visible and sticking with a black, short-sleeved tunic, a brown rancher vest, and simple black pants complete with brown riding boots. Interestingly enough, it was apparent she had also tied string around her wrist, likely something to do with the purple dragon scales on the back of each of her hands. After making himself familiar with the lady in front of him, Arich looked up expectantly, waiting to see what she would say first.

"Hey, Arich," Corey greeted with one of her usual genuine smiles. "Thanks for helping David out last night."

"Yeah, no problem at all. But, ah... there was something I needed to tell you." The ranger briefly hesitated, but Corey's silence prompted him to continue.

"It's about something from last night..."

A. "I lost that bow you gave me, Corey... sorry."

B. "Alright, I'm just really nervous about the whole Rider thing. Is there anything else you could tell me before I meet them?"

C. Show her the warp blade. Maybe she'll forget to ask about the bow.

D. Say something else. (Write-in.)

The Rider [2-2]
"I found something for myself while I was at the mansion, and I'm trying to figure out if it'll be useful to have when I'm a Rider," Arich said, taking out his arcane dagger and showing it to the others. "It's a wa-"

"Hold on a second," David interrupted. "How'd you get a hold of that thing?"

"They had an auction back at the mansion, selling all sorts of magical stuff," replied Arich. "I... may have given up more than I should've to get this one." Seeing David's raised eyebrow and Corey's slightly concerned expression, he continued, "Alright, I may have gotten a little carried away with bidding, and the host may have taken my old bow..."

In answer, David gave him a glare. "How the hell do you get carried away at an auction, man?"

"That's enough, David," Corey spoke softly, maintaining her genial expression. "Arich, it's fine, don't worry yourself. It took a while to make, but if you were asking whether warp magic might be better than bright arcane beams, I think I'd have to agree. I'm sure you'll be more careful about it in the future."

Arich breathed a sigh of relief. He had expected Corey to be disappointed or even angry at what he had done to something she made, but as it turned out she was quite ready to forgive him for whatever he had done. If only his companion could be someone like Corey or Anor, and speaking of which...

"Alright, fine, if Corey's fine with it then I guess you're good," David said. "While you're here, there's something else I want to talk about.

"So, you probably have a good idea of when your companion will arrive to meet you, right Arich?" The ranger nodded. "Okay, good. But there's a little something you may have to take care of before this. If I remember correctly, it should've been just about a week since you got that whole brand thing on your arm."

Every Rider was branded with the mark of a great beast - dragon or gryphon - about a week or a month before they would first encounter their lifelong friend. At first, the brand would appear in an unrecognizable form, but over time it would begin to develop itself until suddenly it appeared, in full clarity. Something interesting Arich had noted over time was that he had not seen such a mark on David, Corey, or Cenephar, though he had never bothered to ask any of them why this was the case.

"Corey will need to see what it is before you head out in a few minutes," David continued. "She always likes to look at what everyone gets anyways, and you might have to meet your companion in a different spot depending on how that tattoo looks."

Arich steadily breathed in and breathed out a few times, the moment of truth only seconds ahead of him. After asserting Corey she was ready, he slowly took off his glove and pulled his right sleeve as far up as he could, until he finally revealed the mark beneath.

Who will Arich's companion be?
This is no easy decision, as there are three very different great beasts to choose from, each with their own set of unique skills, enhancements, and personalities... each with their own aspirations and their own flavor of speech (hopefully) - though you will have almost no idea what Arich will be walking into until after the choice is made.
In addition to abilities, each great beast has a single meta ability that will have a significant effect on your future choices and the rest of this story - though it is generally better to have more voters to make things more interesting with those extra additions in mind. These abilities are revealed to you from the outset in order to help you make this choice.

This may well be the most important choice you make in the story... so choose Arich's companion wisely.

A. The Dragon
Dragons are one of the great creatures of the world, curious yet highly intelligent, and there are many different variations of them if one is fortunate enough to come across them during their travels. Though some dragons do not accept their fates alongside Riders at first, over time they grow to become some of the most devoted companions one can have. Their ability to provide support in and out of combat simply cannot be overlooked, as each dragon has an elemental preference and a powerful selection of spells which they cast from their mouth.
Dragons possess the meta ability
latest
Lorehound. Once per encounter, Arich may ask the Dragon to reveal some lore or backstory behind a character, object, or place. Combat information will never be directly revealed, but sometimes Arich may gain knowledge about certain characters he was never meant to know. Very few characters are resistant to this ability.

B. The Gryphon
Loyal, stalwart, and gallant, gryphons are creatures that can easily be summarized with such grand language. They are willing to take on any risk and any challenge, and will readily put themselves in front of their friends if need be. Their fierce visage, half hawk and half lion, fits perfectly with their actions in battle and they have a light build that supports speed and aggression, allowing them to fight alongside others without issue.
Gryphons possess the meta ability
latest
Riskbreaker. The success percentage of every risky option is revealed, and rolls will be shown in a spoiler tab on the top of the page whenever one of those options is taken. In addition, Arich will know what happens on a failure before the risk is taken. Rarely, one may come across an option that still has unknown risks.

C. The Serpent
Arich has never heard mention of any serpentine creature during his time in Chorral, and like most of the Riders has no idea they can even exist. However, there is in fact one such being living in absolute secrecy, waiting for someone to bear the mark. If Arich is branded with the Serpent's mark, he will find himself alongside a creature no Rider should ever be around - though it will certainly be quite the positive experience for his new companion.
The Serpent possesses the meta ability
latest
Anarchism. Instead of selecting the option with the most votes, a voter will be randomly chosen and their choice will be used. If this vote is different from the majority decision, the Serpent will force Arich towards the chosen option. There will be a clear indication as to whether choices are or aren't affected by this.

Inventory
latest
longbow a simple but sleek bow that launches arrows from great distances
latest
latest
lockpicks
latest
body armor
latest
clothing
arich's usual blue shirt and black pants, gloves, and boots
Talents
latest
trained in combat knowledge of weapon techniques from rider training may be useful
latest
patient
maintain awareness and clarity of thought in chaotic situations. arich cannot panic
latest
elemental knowledge
arich dislikes using magic, but he knows a decent amount of earth and ice spells

Choose wisely.

Last edited:
Yooo that Gryphon be looking cool. It'll tell us how stupid our decisions will be do we don't just YOLO it like some idiot.
But seriously, i'm thinking there's too many dragon riders already, and the serpent's passive... just... ugh.

The Rider [2-3]
Arich couldn't help but hold his breath for an uncomfortably long time as he brought his sleeve further and further up. Soon enough, he had pulled it up far enough to reveal the wings and beak of a gryphon, inked in black and depicted in a fierce stance.

"A gryphon..." the ranger gasped. "My companion is going to be a gryphon."

Arich could not imagine Corilyn's smile to be any brighter than it already was, but today would surprise him in more ways than one.

"They will be much more than a companion," the sorcerer began, her tone much less casual than before. "This gryphon, over time, will grow to become your lifelong friend, and your ever-constant partner whom you can rely on whenever you are in battle, whenever you need eyes in the sky, and..." Corey paused for a second, as if she was trying to remember what to say next. Her relaxed tone returned when she continued, "Well, just think of it like having a wingman. They'll listen to you, and they'll always be around when you need them."

David nodded. "I don't really know any gryphons myself, but from what I've heard they're real easy to get along with, even at the time you first meet each other. I think you're going to be just fine."

"Hope so," was all Arich said in response. He knew his nerves would calm down soon enough, even during the face-to-face encounter with the gryphon - something years of occasional acquaintance with Anor had allowed him to become used to.

"Just remember this is something you'll need to do alone," mentioned Corey. "If you head over to the clearing a good few minutes northwest of here and spend some time preparing yourself for the encounter, you'll be ready when the gryphon tracks your mark over to where you are. If you're all set here, then I think it might actually be a good time for you to go."

Arich simply nodded in response, still anxious and a little giddy at what he knew was going to happen in an hour. He took one last look at himself before walking out the single door of the study and making his way towards the clearing, intending to arrive about half an hour before his new companion was due.

The clearing appeared exactly as Arich had remembered: a wide area lush with grass, docile wildlife, and the occasional log or boulder. Though he had only been around the area once or twice, he knew how significant was for a great portion of Chorral, as many of the Riders before him had also met their companions here for the very first time. It was also a spot frequented by many of the senior riders from time to time, likely for the purpose of revisiting such memories. For a while, Arich just sat, going through all the possibilities he and the gryphon could be a part of in the future. Of course, they would have to meet each other before that could all happen.

As if on cue, however, almost all the sounds of the birds and fauna around the ranger had suddenly become silent, and even the ambience of the wind and trees ceased for a while.

Arich listened for a few seconds, tensed up in anticipation, but nothing came and he relaxed a little. Perhaps it had just been a coinci-

Suddenly, a blur of movement flew in from behind the ranger, rapidly closing in towards the center of the clearing and narrowly missing his head.

As Arich watched the form land, he immediately realized what was standing in front of him. He quickly glanced at the creature's features, noting its razor-sharp front talons, fully spread wings, and falcon plumage, with the other half of the body appearing as that of a lion, or perhaps another predatory cat. Though it was only about one-and-a-half times as tall as the ranger and roughly twice as long, it was still an impressive and imposing sight to witness. With all this in mind, the creature staring down Arich could none other than the gryphon who had sought him out.

Arich stands up and prepares to face the gryphon.
Select any combination of choices here, between just one of them or all of them at once.

A. Slowly, carefully approach the gryphon.

B. Have a hand raised out. If Arich is also approaching, he will attempt to touch the gryphon's head.

C. Have the other hand on the warp blade, ready to strike or warp away if things don't go as they should.

D. Avoid direct eye contact. Arich isn't sure if gryphons are like wolves or certain birds of prey, and may not want to chance it here.

E. An introduction? A question, perhaps? (Write-in.)

Inventory
latest
latest
latest
lockpicks
latest
body armor
latest
clothing
Talents
latest
latest
patient
latest
elemental knowledge

✧ a. slowly, carefully approach the gryphon + b. have a hand raised out; attempt to touch the gryphon's head

Last edited:
The Rider [2-4]
Arich decided not to say anything at first, and figured he would try to approach the gryphon as fearlessly as he could.

Taking slow, carefully measured steps forward, the ranger held the gryphon's gaze intently as he raised his open right hand, holding it forward as if attempting to reach for the creature's head. It stood perfectly still as he gradually closed the short distance to rest his hand upon its beak. It felt quite warm and smooth to the touch.

In response to this, the gryphon closed its eyes, making a sound similar to a contented sigh. It then lifted its great clawed foot to be level with Arich's head. The ranger held his breath, unsure of what would happen next, and watched as the talons slowly descended to rest themselves on his left shoulder.

A few tense seconds passed until, finally, the gryphon opened its eyes and became the first of the two to break the silence.

"It is an honor to finally meet you at last, Rider." The voice was fairly deep, and it confirmed what Arich had slowly begun to assume, that he was facing a male gryphon. "And I would be even more honored to know you as a friend - if you would allow it."

"Of course," Arich replied with a grin. "Absolutely. It'll be damn good to fly alongside you, but I feel like we should introduce ourselves first."

The gryphon nodded slightly. "Indeed. May I hear your name first, Rider?"

"You can call me Arich Liordei - just stick with Arich." The ranger paused a bit as he heard his name being tested aloud, then continued, "Now, mind telling me your name?"

"I do not have a name yet," replied the gryphon. "We do not call ourselves by any name until we are deemed ready to receive a name, usually by an elder of our kind - but here, the naming would fall upon you, Rider."

"I... have to name you?" Arich asked, and the gryphon nodded in confirmation. "Wow. That's a huge thing for me to do, isn't it?"

"It is Rider tradition, from what I have been taught," the gryphon said. "I am still young, but if you believe me to be worthy of a name, then I await it eagerly."

The gryphon's intense gaze remains fixed on Arich, in anticipation of his answer.

A. Consider a good name for the gryphon. (Write-in a name and a very good reason for this name.)

B. Tell the gryphon he should be the one to name himself. It doesn't seem right for anyone else, not even Arich himself, to make this choice.

C. Tell the gryphon it may need to be done later today. Arich was put on the spot here, but he promises he'll think of something soon.

D. Perhaps it will still be a while before the gryphon should have a name. The two will need to learn more about each other before Arich can come up with a name that sounds best for the gryphon.

✧ d. perhaps it will still be a while before the gryphon should have a name. the two will need to learn more about each other before arich can come up with a name that sounds best for the gryphon.

The Rider [2-5]
"Honestly, it's not a question of whether you're ready or not," Arich explained. "It hasn't even been a few minutes since we've met each other. Plus, if this is a thing gryphons do, where they don't get a name until more than a few years later, I figure it would be best if I knew more about your personality before I start thinking of a name that would sound great for you." He paused briefly, forming an apologetic smile before continuing, "Sorry if you were looking forward to that. I really don't think giving you a name is something that should really be done on the spot. Guess I might have to call you something else for now..."

The gryphon bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement. "Yes, I agree with your decision. Perhaps for now you can simply consider me as Companion, just as I refer to you as Rider."

"That sounds like a pretty good start for now, mate," the ranger concurred before stepping over to the left side of the gryphon, whose head twisted to continue regarding him keenly as he resumed once again, in a curious tone, "Do you mind if I..."

"By all means. It is your privilege as my Rider."

Lowering himself slightly, the gryphon watched as Arich jumped up to mount him, swinging his left leg and finding a secure seat for himself between the head and wings of his companion. Running his hands through the feathers and their gradual transition into fur, the rider quickly found both to be warm and surprisingly soft to the touch, a sensation he decided he wouldn't dare ruin with the addition of a saddle.

"Would you like for me to demonstrate how fast I am in flight, Arich?" the gryphon asked eagerly, spreading his wings fully in anticipation of a flight.

The ranger began to form a nod at first, but then immediately held out a hand and said, "Wait, wait. I'm excited to see how you fly, but there's someone I need to see first before we really get ourselves into the sky. I'm as excited as you are to see some flying action, but before we do that, I want to see how fast you run."

Arich waited a couple of seconds for his companion's response, seeing nothing other than a slight shift forward. He realized in the next second what was about to happen and quickly threw his hands around the gryphon's neck before it went from a still position to bounding through the forest in a full sprint, all in the space of a few seconds. Though he was running at a surprisingly fast speed, Arich resisted the urge to yell out or ask to slow down, and after a few moments he looked up to watch how fast each and every tree went by in a blur. He briefly thought about how different of an experience this was from being atop Anor, who was easily large enough to stretch his head and wings above the trees.

Anor? the gryphon's voice could be heard. You know who Anor is?

I've been around him quite a bit, Arich expressed. Speaking of which, do you think you can head over to Anor? I need to make a quick stop so I can talk to one of his friends.

Of course, Rider.

Arich expected a slow turn towards their destination, but was once again caught nearly off guard as his companion quickly stopped, angled in a leftward direction, and immediately started off again, this time towards Corilyn's study.

Perhaps it might be a good while longer before Arich would be completely used to his new companion.

_________________________​

After several minutes, the two finally came to a stop a short distance from the front of the study. Arich wasted no time in dismounting, swinging his leg over to drop to the ground and start towards the door, with the gryphon striding right behind him.

Anor was curled halfway around the study, his great tail blocking the door. His closed eyes and soft breathing indicated he was resting, though Arich was well aware the dragon could guide the gryphon towards him even in a deep sleep.

The rider still needed to get in the study, but he didn't mind waiting too much if Corey was busy. Perhaps he could find something to do while he was waiting...

A. Just ask Anor about going inside. If not, perhaps he might still mention what Corey is doing.

B. Tell the gryphon to wait while Arich warps a couple times to the roof and listens in. (80% - Anor will notice if Arich fails)

C. Mount the gryphon, jump onto the roof, and try to open the glass ceiling in order to get inside. (55% - upon a failure, both will be noticed before getting inside)

D. Pass the time by talking to Anor, the gryphon, or both of them. (Write-in.)

Arich Liordei
latest
latest
latest
lockpicks
latest
body armor
latest
clothing
latest
latest
patient
maintain awareness and clarity of thought in chaotic situations. can't panic
latest
elemental knowledge
arich has decent earth and ice spell knowledge
The Gryphon
latest
Riskbreaker reveal success chance and failure results of all risky options
latest
talons the sharp weapons of a beast, primed to counter-attack any opponent
latest